Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: Board Pro] #14881719 10/30/23 03:18 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Board Pro
Boyd is a hero and needs the credit for creating a place for many nobodies to gain popularity and make some solid money.

There should be a "Boyd Day" on the TFF

roflmao I don't care one way or another but you get an A+ for pot stirring

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: slim 285] #14881726 10/30/23 03:34 AM
B
Board Pro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted by slim 285
[quote=slim 285][quote=Board Pro]Boyd is a hero and needs the credit for creating a place for many nobodies to gain popularity and make some solid money.

What the hell are you smoking ?

Watson was just a rando before Boyd made him a star and many more are stars because of Boyd's direction. Watson said he was a nobody before the BPT.

Bs , 95 percent were established pros on either FLW or BASS before they were conned into going with MLF and then the snake oil salesman bought FLW and created BPT .

Watch Luke Dunkin with Watson on it, he said himself being on the BPT made him have the ability to get paid. Please gather facts before you post. Nothing worse than a man stuck in his feelers on the inner webs and posting from his emotions

"Often imitated, never duplicated"

[Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: Douglas J] #14881957 10/30/23 02:03 PM
D
Dan21XRS Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Watson and MLFLW were made for each other. They needed big, new personalities to get MLFLW off the ground and on the map. They needed spice to go along with the old stale guard like Skeet, Biffle and Klein. Watson fit that to a T. Watson won the FLW Open on Norris Lake back in 2016 and would have been a player on either tour going forward... Boyd over promised, and now the bills are coming due... Watson isn't the only pro that got fat and lazy thinking they had a spot for as long as they wanted one... It'll just be how creative Boyd and the boys can get to save as much as the old guard with their new and improved Top 50 requalification formula... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: Dan21XRS] #14882139 10/30/23 05:19 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
Watson and MLFLW were made for each other. They needed big, new personalities to get MLFLW off the ground and on the map. They needed spice to go along with the old stale guard like Skeet, Biffle and Klein. Watson fit that to a T. Watson won the FLW Open on Norris Lake back in 2016 and would have been a player on either tour going forward... Boyd over promised, and now the bills are coming due... Watson isn't the only pro that got fat and lazy thinking they had a spot for as long as they wanted one... It'll just be how creative Boyd and the boys can get to save as much as the old guard with their new and improved Top 50 requalification formula... Dan

Watson is somewhat an enigma, he did win that FLW and has won AAA level events but there are years he seem totally out of his league fishing FLW Tour/BPT, and other years he has decent AOY finishs. He even said theres no way in hell he could qualify on merit for the Elites sereis. I think he just has lots of pots boiling, I think if he focused on fishing the could definiltely be a BPT top 50 guy, he just doesn't want to just focus on fishing.

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: Douglas J] #14882159 10/30/23 05:35 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I consider my self a Watson fan, but I don't understand his feeling of entitlement.

If you aren't one of the best at the game, its time to bring in fresh blood that may compete.

I listened to his Podcast with Dunking and it almost sounded like he believed all of the originals deserved the right to be there and there isn't room for new anglers. I just don't get that.

When professional athletes reach the point in their careers where they are no longer competitive they retire and younger more athletic guys come in and take their place. They aren't guaranteed a roster spot based on past performances. You perform, or you move on.

I disagree on not needing a feeder system. There has to be some type of way for new anglers to qualify for the top spot.

I do like the every fish counts for MLF with the cup events that they used to have. I agree it is more entertaining and better for TV. I just don't think a professional angler should be graded by how many 1-2 lb fish they can catch.

I don't want to watch MLB hitters hit bombs off of batting practice pitchers. I want to watch them hit bombs off a pitcher throwing a 100 mph fastball with movement or a nasty slider. But at the end of the day if the Anglers competing in the every little fish counts format are fine with the format, thats all that matters.

MLF is a lot like LIV golf. Even if you prefer the original tour, its hard to honestly dispute the fact it has brought positive change to the other tour AND has given more fishermen an opportunity to fish for a living. At the end of the day, I'm a fan of fishing. If bassmasters and the BPT are on the same day, I'm going to tune into Bassmasters. But if Bassmasters is not on and the BPT is, I'm going to watch the BPT, regardless of format.

The main thing I'm in complete disagreement with the BPT on, is how they have changed qualification methods mid-year. There have been anglers to qualify for the BPT and then after some changes, they were suddenly out. The rules need to be laid forth prior to a full season and followed for qualification into the next season. Why anyone would want to try to qualify for the BPT with these constant changes is besides me. Seems like its going to be harder to qualify for much fewer available spots and isn't going to attract the top talent. But it almost seems as though they don't want new talent challenging the old originals.

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: sprigsss] #14882198 10/30/23 06:13 PM
B
Board Pro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted by sprigsss
I consider my self a Watson fan, but I don't understand his feeling of entitlement.

If you aren't one of the best at the game, its time to bring in fresh blood that may compete.

I listened to his Podcast with Dunking and it almost sounded like he believed all of the originals deserved the right to be there and there isn't room for new anglers. I just don't get that.

When professional athletes reach the point in their careers where they are no longer competitive they retire and younger more athletic guys come in and take their place. They aren't guaranteed a roster spot based on past performances. You perform, or you move on.

I disagree on not needing a feeder system. There has to be some type of way for new anglers to qualify for the top spot.

I do like the every fish counts for MLF with the cup events that they used to have. I agree it is more entertaining and better for TV. I just don't think a professional angler should be graded by how many 1-2 lb fish they can catch.

I don't want to watch MLB hitters hit bombs off of batting practice pitchers. I want to watch them hit bombs off a pitcher throwing a 100 mph fastball with movement or a nasty slider. But at the end of the day if the Anglers competing in the every little fish counts format are fine with the format, thats all that matters.

MLF is a lot like LIV golf. Even if you prefer the original tour, its hard to honestly dispute the fact it has brought positive change to the other tour AND has given more fishermen an opportunity to fish for a living. At the end of the day, I'm a fan of fishing. If bassmasters and the BPT are on the same day, I'm going to tune into Bassmasters. But if Bassmasters is not on and the BPT is, I'm going to watch the BPT, regardless of format.

The main thing I'm in complete disagreement with the BPT on, is how they have changed qualification methods mid-year. There have been anglers to qualify for the BPT and then after some changes, they were suddenly out. The rules need to be laid forth prior to a full season and followed for qualification into the next season. Why anyone would want to try to qualify for the BPT with these constant changes is besides me. Seems like its going to be harder to qualify for much fewer available spots and isn't going to attract the top talent. But it almost seems as though they don't want new talent challenging the old originals.

He and others left BASS to join MLF/BPT and were told if they stay in the top 70 AOY their spots are secure. Now 4 seasons in he and others are told by BPT that it's now top 35 AOY average. If you are not in or close to the top 35 AOY average at this point, you cannot change the results at the end of '24.

I like both BASS and MLF and I am glad they are going to back to the every fish format, that is what made them different.

Boyd has done a lot to advance tournament fishing at the top level, but this whole thing smells a little bit.

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: grout-scout] #14882283 10/30/23 08:11 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by grout-scout
Boyd did a pretty good job on Ike Live, pretty much said the old guys need to go find new jobs, not his responsibility to babysit them. I agree, fire all the olds and let the young bloods take over. thumb

Just listened, they did not rake him over the coals as I expected. BD said it was a business decision that had to be made.

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: Board Pro] #14882985 10/31/23 12:45 PM
W
wanta10lbbass Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
W
Boyd is a hero and needs the credit for creating a place for many nobodies to gain popularity and make some solid money.

Tongue-in-cheek?

By that line of thought everyone involved in BASS and MLF owe all success they've had to Ray Scott. Including Boyd.

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: Douglas J] #14883001 10/31/23 01:00 PM
W
wanta10lbbass Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
W
This seems simple. From the beginning Boyd and company sold the anglers a bunch of stuff they couldn't, and haven't come close to living up to. Anglers should've known better, whether pressured from peers, in-spite of BASS, or just gullible they all made their own bed, now they have to lay in it.

They all have options, whether it be other national trails, focusing on their social media brand, or finding another job. My personal opinion is that if my livelihood depended on an organization that has done nothing but deceive me from the beginning I'd be exploring different options......but that's just me.

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: grout-scout] #14883015 10/31/23 01:15 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by grout-scout
Boyd did a pretty good job on Ike Live, pretty much said the old guys need to go find new jobs, not his responsibility to babysit them. I agree, fire all the olds and let the young bloods take over. thumb

Well in every other professional competition type endeavor the goal is to get the best in there. Nit play nurse maid to a bunch of old people who have managed to avoid a full time job for the most part. (Other than the pile if trust fund baby types). I agree 100 percent that a bunch need to take their spinnerbaits and move on.

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: Douglas J] #14883096 10/31/23 02:33 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Boyd's 5 D's of answering tough interview questions.

[Linked Image]

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: Board Pro] #14883100 10/31/23 02:36 PM
T
Tyler Kalishek Offline
Angler
Angler
T

He and others left BASS to join MLF/BPT and were told if they stay in the top 70 AOY their spots are secure. Now 4 seasons in he and others are told by BPT that it's now top 35 AOY average. If you are not in or close to the top 35 AOY average at this point, you cannot change the results at the end of '24.

I like both BASS and MLF and I am glad they are going to back to the every fish format, that is what made them different.

Boyd has done a lot to advance tournament fishing at the top level, but this whole thing smells a little bit.

Watson wasn’t in BASS

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: sprigsss] #14883151 10/31/23 03:28 PM
R
russb Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R

He probably feels entitled to stay being an “owner”. If I paid for ownership shares in a company and then was told I was being sent packing, I’d be a little upset too. That’s why Watson was brought in before guys like Thrift cause they knew he had the money to buy into the company.

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: Tyler Kalishek] #14883172 10/31/23 03:54 PM
B
Board Pro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted by Tyler Kalishek

Watson wasn’t in BASS

How did he fish in the Bassmaster Classic if he wasn't a member of BASS? Tell me how anyone can fish the Bassmaster Classic and not be a member of BASS?

Heck he even won an open not being a member I suppose.

Re: MLF - BPT info for future [Re: sprigsss] #14883303 10/31/23 07:01 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I've always liked Watson, but I STRONGLY disagree with his feelings that they don't need a feeder system to bring new upcoming talent into their league. I think their product was already getting rather stale before they brought in some new guys like Ebare, LeBrun, etc. With that said, if their new rules require a newly qualified angler to make the top 10 their first year (like many seem to think it does) then they have essentially cut off all new talent by default. That is a big ask to come in and make top 10 your first year. Hopefully people are misinterpreting that new aspect of the rules. If not, the proper angler reaction to that should be and empty field in the invitationals next year, but we all know that will not happen. There will be a line of dumb young anglers fishing with daddy's money to chase the dream.

Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide