Forums59
Topics1,039,538
Posts13,966,120
Members144,208
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: fivebites] #14816026 08/18/23 08:36 PM
K
kcb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted by fivebites
I took my wife up to Ray Bob midweek about 20 years ago to hit some sandbass action. Not too many people on the lake that day. We had put in at the marina but were up on the east Fork fishing and were headed in when we made the turn around the main point down near the dam. Saw a boat with what appeared to be no one in it. As I got near I slowed down a little to see if someone was in trouble. All of a sudden two heads popped up! They were gettin busy right out in the middle of the lake!! LOL. My wife couldn't believe it! Had I been by myself this may have turned into one of those Penthouse "this never happens to me" stories!

Buddy of mine had a family & friends group that used to go to Texoma most weekends. They went together and bought a parasail. They would start on shore of the islands and the guys would fluff it up and take off in the boat. He told me he was way up high and off to the side of the boat and saw a couple on the back deck of another boat. I’ll spare the details….well I’ll spare the details.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Rescue Fire] #14816144 08/18/23 09:59 PM
S
ssanderson Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I witnessed a wake boat being loaded up away from the boat ramp. Back the boat up, park the truck and went out to have a good time. I knew they existed. I hold it right up there with a Sasquatch sighting.

M-37150/Med gas-25
BP0018911
Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: ssanderson] #14816215 08/18/23 11:57 PM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ssanderson
I witnessed a wake boat being loaded up away from the boat ramp. Back the boat up, park the truck and went out to have a good time. I knew they existed. I hold it right up there with a Sasquatch sighting.

…while playing classical music.

Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Rescue Fire] #14816247 08/19/23 12:41 AM
D
Dr. Drop Offline
Angler
Angler
D
15 yrs ago practicing for a tournament on cedar creek. It was during the week on cold Feb day. Water temps in low 50's.
Right at dusk i was idling out of the back of a small cove.
This cove had huge expensive houses and docks in it. At the mouth was a no wake buoy. I was facing west and the sun going down over the horizon and was making it hard to see.
I was about 50 yards from the no wake buoy. I was fixing to punch it and get back to the ramp before it got dark.
I mean I was the only boat on the lake.
A still small voice told me don't do it! Out of the corner of my eye i see something just to the left of my bow that looks like a duck or something on the water.
As i got closer i see a women treading water headed towards the bank. Just her head sticking out of the water.
She waves at me as i stare at her stupefied as i go by.
I watch her craw up a ladder on her dock and she has a wet suit on. She went for a evening swim i guess? If i would have run over that lady i would still be in jail and had nightmares the rest of my life.

Last edited by Dr. Drop; 08/19/23 12:43 AM.
Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Rescue Fire] #14816563 08/19/23 12:37 PM
L
Lee Finlay Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
L
As a teen in the 90’s I was canoeing up a small creek off the main lake. Saw a grey ball spinning in the water. As I got closer, I realized they were snakes. They started separating and a few swam towards me. I turned around and paddled my butt off as I watched one of them follow me for a few dozen yards. When I got back home I told my parents, and they had no idea what it was. Took me a few days to find someone who could finally tell me it was a cottonmouth mating ball.

About a year later, fishing the same creek, I decided to land the canoe so I could jump off and take a leak. About a foot off the bank I hit something hard that suddenly exploded and thrashed around. Whatever it was, it was about half the length of the canoe. The thrashing damn near tipped me over. I jumped onto shore and ran the whole way home. Came back with a 20ga and it was long gone. Luckily the canoe was right where I left it. I don’t think I ever went back to that creek again.

We lived on the lake, and the weather could get rough. One winter we were hanging out inside the cabin when I casually looked out towards the water. The wind was howling and there’s were 6 foot waves. I saw a small speck of white that caught my eye. Pulled out the binoculars and saw it was a small capsized sailboat. We fired up the jetski and I went to investigate. About 200 yards from the boat I found a guy floating in his life jacket. Picked him up and headed back to the dock. He said his wife was still out there, so I went back to look for her. I searched around where I found him, but didn’t see anything so I went towards the capsized boat. There she was, hanging on to the side. Got her to shore and went back to tow the boat in. The mast got stuck in the sand a couple of yards from the pier, so I just tied a long rope to it and wrapped the other end around the leg of the pier.
My parents had been tending to them and getting them dried out and warmed up. They were thankful, but awfully concerned about the boat. We couldn’t understand why they weren’t overly concerned with their own health. They kept asking about how secure the boat was. We started to get the feeling these were some sketchy people. We dropped them off at their cabin and they thanked us again.
Next morning the water was smooth as glass and the boat was gone. The rope was neatly coiled on the deck of the pier. We always wondered what the heck was inside that boat that was so important.

Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Rescue Fire] #14816593 08/19/23 01:01 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Some very interesting post. Awesome thread. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Dr. Drop] #14816670 08/19/23 01:56 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by Dr. Drop
15 yrs ago practicing for a tournament on cedar creek. It was during the week on cold Feb day. Water temps in low 50's.
Right at dusk i was idling out of the back of a small cove.
This cove had huge expensive houses and docks in it. At the mouth was a no wake buoy. I was facing west and the sun going down over the horizon and was making it hard to see.
I was about 50 yards from the no wake buoy. I was fixing to punch it and get back to the ramp before it got dark.
I mean I was the only boat on the lake.
A still small voice told me don't do it! Out of the corner of my eye i see something just to the left of my bow that looks like a duck or something on the water.
As i got closer i see a women treading water headed towards the bank. Just her head sticking out of the water.
She waves at me as i stare at her stupefied as i go by.
I watch her craw up a ladder on her dock and she has a wet suit on. She went for a evening swim i guess? If i would have run over that lady i would still be in jail and had nightmares the rest of my life.

That gave me the willies...

Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Rescue Fire] #14816735 08/19/23 02:37 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
I was fishing pelican harbor, miami, early one morning and police show up on shore... they start putting up the yellow crime scene tape along shore line Ive just covered and tell me to leave.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/miami-police-go-fishing-for-body-parts/1839160/

the current had taken those bags miles from where they had originally been dumped... head, arms, legs.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: lconn4] #14816771 08/19/23 03:03 PM
R
Rescue Fire Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by lconn4
I was fishing pelican harbor, miami, early one morning and police show up on shore... they start putting up the yellow crime scene tape along shore line Ive just covered and tell me to leave.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/miami-police-go-fishing-for-body-parts/1839160/

the current had taken those bags miles from where they had originally been dumped... head, arms, legs.

Sounds like an episode of Dexter. LOL

Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Rescue Fire] #14816804 08/19/23 03:29 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
That reminds me of the day my little brother and I were fishing off the bank at Ray Hubbard where Main St now goes into the lake just south of Hwy 66. We walked down the bank into a little slough and noticed a horrible stench. The grass was very tall between us and the water so we decided to go elsewhere. About an hour later we rode our mini-bike home to get a sandwich.

We returned to the area about an hour later and there were cop cars & fire trucks everywhere. The police had the area barricaded off. Later we saw on the news they had found a young girl floating in that slough that had been missing for weeks. I think her last name was Shaw.

Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Rescue Fire] #14816830 08/19/23 03:47 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by Rescue Fire
Originally Posted by lconn4

Sounds like an episode of Dexter. LOL

I swear... I was posting on another fishing forum back then... pics of police divers showing up, crime scene tape, three weeks in a row the places I fished there were bodies found...murdered, drowned, chopped up.. roflmao I got the nickname Dexter on that website. roflmao The only thing I could think was that the places in densely populated areas to put bodies in the water were the same places you could launch a kayak. cheers

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.

Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Rescue Fire] #14817034 08/19/23 06:44 PM
S
SC-001 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Probably not hard to believe nowadays but fornication, they were some pro exhibitionist eeks

Last edited by SC-001; 08/19/23 06:45 PM.
Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Rescue Fire] #14817039 08/19/23 06:49 PM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
This is a great thread. There was one on 2Cool for a while that was unusual things seen when out hunting that had some great ones too. It went on for couple of years. Billy Sandifers Ghost at Marker 37 story on there, one of the best I ever read.

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Rescue Fire] #14817278 08/19/23 11:10 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Was new to fishing Ft Lauderdale area from a kayak but knew there was a power plant discharge canal that was connected to the Intracoastal Waterway... knew there had to be lots of snook and tarpon that would be stacked up there in colder months... On one of the coldest days of the year I made the two mile paddle in search of it... about 5 acre area of mangroves and calm water... could hear snook popping all around... paddled further on up and realized it wasnt snook popping, but manatees grabbing leaves from mangroves and snapping the limbs..

There were manatees everywhere... counted over 70 of them with noses out of water and could see many more in this one deeper pool... couldnt cast as they formed an almost solid mass underwater.. wind was pushing me further into them and water was getting shallower.. couldnt paddle as they were right under the kayak.. had a couple that were almost nibbling on my kayak... I then see one that is so much larger than any manatee Ive ever seen and it freaked me out... stuck paddle in the water to get the hell out of there and it set off a manatee stampede... I swear every one of them spooked and there was the most intense rocking I had ever experienced... I was holding on trying to keep from gettting turned over.. the whole area became one big pool of messed up water...as I was leaving the tour boat was bringing all their paying clients to see the manatees. I got out of there fast as they werent going to see squat.

didnt have any pics of thrashing but imagine what just a few manatees can do. roflmao

[Linked Image]

Re: Things you've seen while fishing that nobody would believe [Re: Rescue Fire] #14817308 08/19/23 11:59 PM
B
Buc McMaster Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
While spending a week tent camping and fishing on Lake Raven (Huntsville State Park) I witnessed a gator take a doe. Pretty grisly......pretty quick. Back in the 80s.......reckon the gators are still there.

Last edited by Buc McMaster; 08/20/23 12:00 AM.

Knowin' where you're going' is mostly known' where you have been.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide