Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: Notaguide] #14742207 06/07/23 01:33 PM
B
bshort Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Notaguide
I have a hobby of perusing Zillow to look at houses. It seems the majority of what is out there for sale is homes that need work.

I'm a Zillow surfer as well. I've noticed that many homes tend to be original to the year of manufacture. If 1990, it will have ugly kitchen cabinets, small tile counters and gold light fixtures.

Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: fivebites] #14742223 06/07/23 01:42 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by fivebites
Lots of reasons why people use this type of "service". I've personally bought over 500 single family homes over the last 25 years. Never held a gun to anyone's head to do it. And I've on more than one occassion paid MORE than the client was asking. My goal is to be fair, but also to make a reasonable profit, just like any other business. I would always tell the client what my purchasing formula was before ever going out to their home to inspect it. If they were comfortable with the possible numbers then we'd schedule a meeting. My dad was a builder/realtor and never understood why ANYONE would sell their house at less than market value to me. I took him out to a house in north Garland with me on one visit. This was a very nice neighborhood, (well, it WAS Garland so there's that), and a house in pretty good shape, but needed a facelift...i.e. kitchen/bathrooms updates, etc. But the major: roof, foundation, major plumbing, and major electrical were all good. This guy was in trouble with the IRS and was going to get foreclosed on in about 15 days. We met at the house, did about a 15 minute walk through (and if you can't get a reasonable idea of your repair costs in that amount of time you're not well versed in construction), sat down and got all the details on the foreclosure. Gave him a solution to his problem, worked out a deal with the IRS to give us an extension to prevent the foreclosure, and all parties were happy. Dad was pleasantly surprised I wasn't trying to "steal" someones house and the seller was relieved to be out from under a large weight off his shoulders when we finished. Foreclosure, smelly (but not phyically in bad shape) houses, divorce, moving out of state, inheritance property, and of course the P.O.S. etc are just a few reasons people. I would say generally the P.O.S. houses were less than 30% of the ones I bought. My goal was to net a minumum of 15% net after all the costs were done. Sometimes we made a little more, sometimes a little less. Of the approximately 500 we bought and sold, I physically lost money of 3 or 4. No one knows "exactly" what a house will sell for, or "exactly" how much the rehab will cost as those are the two varialbes that are really unknown. But if you have a very good background on both, you should be able to be able to live with the 15% net spread unless you've made a big error in your homework. I've retired now, but still have previous clients that call me and refer me to friends/family. We're not all wolves or thieves, although there are many of those out there. I have TONS of video and written testimonials from people we've bought from who were very, very happy with what we provided them. If anyone has questions pm me and I can try to answer them for you. It may be that that avenue is NOT for you or your family. But, it may.

Randy from what I have seen the main problem is the larger companies that buy to rent. Even in my neighborhood the rent houses that are owned by a family business are generally well kept not all but most. The worst of the worst is the large companies that in some cases outbid families then sometimes even put Section 8 folks in the houses you can imagine how those places look. One house on my street had the nicest yard on the block then a large corporation outbid for the house and in one year went from best to worst basically a dead yard absolutely no care except to scalp the weeds every now and then. Those are the ones I despise.

Last edited by Hard Rain; 06/07/23 01:43 PM.
Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: TexDawg] #14742242 06/07/23 01:57 PM
H
Hookem Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
Being that housing was going gangbusters last year, we used Redfin. They offered us $570,000 for our 28 year old house as-is. Then through Redfin, bought a new home, used our proceeds from the sale with some money from investments and upgraded.
Painless. Heard that they sold our old house for $520,000 with many upgrades (painting, cabinet tops and replacing flooring. Not sure why flooring as the stone tile was just fine) after the housing ceiling dropped.

And about to retire with no mortgage. breakdance

Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14742243 06/07/23 01:58 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
I despise those companies. I wish no one sold to them... ever.

Mark my words when I say if the trending continues it will be a rare thing in 20 years for anyone to own a home. The will almost all be owned by corporations and be rentals.

This denies folks pride of ownership, pride of community, the opportunity to grow wealth and to set their kids up to have it a little better than they did. There is a strong correlation between crime rates and areas that are filled with folks who are renting, be that apartments or single family homes. Take Dallas County for example, where 30% of all home sales last year were bought not by a family, but by a firm. 55% of all homes in Dallas County are owned by... a company. If the trending continues in less than 20 years owner occupied homes in Dallas will be in the single digits as a percentage.

And its not just a Texas or Dallas issue. Minnosotea and other states have been looking at ways to slow the trend. Considering laws that limit how many homes in an area can be owned by folks who do not occupy the home etc. But its a tough reach. After all... its a free market. We can choose who to sell to.

Alas people dont know what they are doing or what the implications are. They just figure this will be easy for me. They wont haggle or want inspections. I can pick when I move out. They will even front me the money so I can buy another house easily. They will even pay for my move... wonder why they are so eager to be so very accommodating? Just nice guys I am sure.

Dont forget, "You will own nothing... and you will be happy". If you dont know that phrase or where it's from, Google it. When it was first muttered in 2016 I thought it was tin foil hat kind of non sense. But no. Its all true. Its happening now, and most dont even see it.

So no Dawg, I have not used one. Never would and would encourage others not to. You know in China no one gets to own a home, works great for them. So maybe I am all wrong on this one.

Dan, spot on. Well stated. I get calls everyday from thick accented India people asking if my house us for sale. I ask them, "what will you give me for it.?" They never will say and I just hang up and block the number

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: TexDawg] #14742254 06/07/23 02:09 PM
2014NITROZ-7 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
I had a woman call and ask if we were interested in selling. I told her we were and for $400,000.00 she could take possession the next day. She then ask why I wanted that price,I told her to remember she called wanting to buy and I didn't call her asking to sell. She hung up never to be heard from again.

Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: TexDawg] #14742258 06/07/23 02:14 PM
R
reelswift Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
One word - BEWARE

Team LVS34
Captain WNB
Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: TexDawg] #14742279 06/07/23 02:31 PM
Evan O'Brien Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Put it on the market as is.

REALTOR. Residential/Lake/Farm&Ranch/Hunting Properties
Evan O'Brien - Regal Realtors - texaslakesandland@gmail.com (214)642-6921
Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: TexDawg] #14742283 06/07/23 02:33 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I wouldn’t fix anything if that’s what you want. Can’t hurt to list it as is.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: Chris B] #14742343 06/07/23 03:20 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted by Chris B
I wouldn’t fix anything if that’s what you want. Can’t hurt to list it as is.

Exactly thumb

Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: fivebites] #14742346 06/07/23 03:25 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Lots of reasons why people use this type of "service". I've personally bought over 500 single family homes over the last 25 years. Never held a gun to anyone's head to do it. And I've on more than one occassion paid MORE than the client was asking. My goal is to be fair, but also to make a reasonable profit, just like any other business. I would always tell the client what my purchasing formula was before ever going out to their home to inspect it. If they were comfortable with the possible numbers then we'd schedule a meeting. My dad was a builder/realtor and never understood why ANYONE would sell their house at less than market value to me. I took him out to a house in north Garland with me on one visit. This was a very nice neighborhood, (well, it WAS Garland so there's that), and a house in pretty good shape, but needed a facelift...i.e. kitchen/bathrooms updates, etc. But the major: roof, foundation, major plumbing, and major electrical were all good. This guy was in trouble with the IRS and was going to get foreclosed on in about 15 days. We met at the house, did about a 15 minute walk through (and if you can't get a reasonable idea of your repair costs in that amount of time you're not well versed in construction), sat down and got all the details on the foreclosure. Gave him a solution to his problem, worked out a deal with the IRS to give us an extension to prevent the foreclosure, and all parties were happy. Dad was pleasantly surprised I wasn't trying to "steal" someones house and the seller was relieved to be out from under a large weight off his shoulders when we finished. Foreclosure, smelly (but not phyically in bad shape) houses, divorce, moving out of state, inheritance property, and of course the P.O.S. etc are just a few reasons people. I would say generally the P.O.S. houses were less than 30% of the ones I bought. My goal was to net a minumum of 15% net after all the costs were done. Sometimes we made a little more, sometimes a little less. Of the approximately 500 we bought and sold, I physically lost money of 3 or 4. No one knows "exactly" what a house will sell for, or "exactly" how much the rehab will cost as those are the two varialbes that are really unknown. But if you have a very good background on both, you should be able to be able to live with the 15% net spread unless you've made a big error in your homework. I've retired now, but still have previous clients that call me and refer me to friends/family. We're not all wolves or thieves, although there are many of those out there. I have TONS of video and written testimonials from people we've bought from who were very, very happy with what we provided them. If anyone has questions pm me and I can try to answer them for you. It may be that that avenue is NOT for you or your family. But, it may.

thats a great story

Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: TexDawg] #14742395 06/07/23 04:35 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Mortgage companies like mine are offering renovation loans. This is a HOT caveat to the lending industry. First time home buyers that can't afford the inflated pricing are buying a fixer upper with a reno loan and fixing up houses like yours using the funds from their loan.

I would strongly suggest listing your home "as is", but allow a local lender to advertise with your realtor suggesting the renovation loan to potential buyers.

Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: butch sanders] #14742399 06/07/23 04:39 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by butch sanders

thats a great story

Thanks Butch!

The market in the last 3 years as been unlike any we've EVER had in Texas. So, you could "almost" put your house on the market "as is" and be assured you'd get a good amount. But let a buyer head on into the hoarder house where you literally can't get into a room because of all the junk, or the people who let their cats/dogs/kids use their house as their personal toilet and let that smell hit you between the eyes. You can bet your rear end that even a lot of experienced investors will low ball those sellers. I bought a house near N.W. hwy and Plano road. 1400 sq ft brick home. At the time I went to look, there were 7 people, 9 dogs (7 were puppies and I suspect they all had parvo as they all had diarrhea and were sick), 8 or 9 cats, and junk floor to ceiling except a bedroom that the dogs lived in with 2 people, and the living room where anything else lived. I hired two Hispanic boys to empty the house after I closed on it, and after about 20 minutes they both walked out and said, "mucho cagates". (possibly wrong spelling, but meant too much poop). Eventually hired 4 guys and it took 4 - 30 yd rolloff dumpsters to take what they left between the house and the yard. The market is about to turn again and when it does and it becomes a buyers market again, LOTS of people will need honest companies to get them out of their homes.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: TexDawg] #14742455 06/07/23 05:39 PM
JustWingem Offline
Gentleman Jack
Gentleman Jack
A friend I have known since 6th grade sold his in Forney to Open door. He was pretty happy with the whole process. Fair value for a 27 year old house that was in great shape. They had newly remodeled the master bathroom. It could have used a few small updates but nothing major. Roof had about 10 years left in it was the major upcoming issue.

DON'T GET CONFUSED BETWEEN MY PERSONALITY AND MY ATTITUDE. MY PERSONALITY IS WHO I AM...MY ATTITUDE DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE
Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: TexDawg] #14742474 06/07/23 05:58 PM
T
tx_basser Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Had a couple of houses in our hood sold to Open Door during the height of the craziness and were in poor shape. One of the couples that tried we were friends with and they said they were offered 80% of value and inspection hit them with a bunch of things that they wanted repaired for thousands of dollars. They turned it down and sold it on their own.

Re: Anybody sold their home using…. [Re: TexDawg] #14742662 06/07/23 08:59 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted by TexDawg
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Fair is a subjective word

General guidelines is to offer about half of appraised value, it's just a numbers game the more ads and postcards you send out to owner occupied properties the more call you get.

If you have a POS house with issue look at getting offered 35% of appraised value.

If your talking about your house in McKinney, I will buy your house for half appraised value with cash, you game?

Not yet, but you never know. We are in that special place where our house is 25 yo, we are now empty nesters looking to downsize a bit and this house needs quite a bit of work. Not sure we want to pour a bunch of money into it to fix it up or just bail on it and call it good.

You'll find no shortage of investor buyers who will pay more than those scam companies will.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide