Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bait Laws [Re: TRH (formerly xpress00)] #14645811 03/01/23 01:31 AM
O
Oldrabbit Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted by TRH (formerly xpress00)
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Originally Posted by TRH (formerly xpress00)
Originally Posted by Rowdy
Yes, if you buy live bait, you have to have your receipt. Now if you catch your own live bait, they way I understand it, they can't be transported to another lake. You would have to throw them on ice or freeze them. Least this is how I think the law reads, and the very part I want to visit with them about.

put them in a bait tank with treated tap water. Take them live anywhere you wanna go.

If you read the fine print (unless it’s changed) I remember pretty specifically that it says you can’t transport them in the water from which they came. There are a few places where those Asian carp are present that you have to kill bait if you transport them.

Correct. You cannot transport them in the water from which they came. That's why I said treated tap water. thumb

I don't believe that is what is being said. The reason for not transporting from one lake to another is to try and prevent the spread of Bighead and Silver Carp. Changing out the lake water to treated water will do nothing if you trapped Asian Carp.
On LOP, you can't catch bait from the spillway and then take it to the lake on the other side of the dam no mater what type of water you put them in.

"Rule to Prevent Spread of Bighead and Silver Carp
It is unlawful to transport live, non-game fishes from the Red River and all tributary waters in Grayson, Fannin, Lamar, Red River, and Bowie counties below Lake Texoma downstream to the Arkansas border, Big Cypress Bayou downstream of Ferrell’s Bridge Dam on Lake O’ the Pines (including the Texas waters of Caddo Lake), and the Sulphur River downstream of the Lake Wright Patman dam. Nongame fishes collected from these waters may be used as live bait on the water bodies where they were collected."
Link, go to the bottom of the page.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Bait Laws [Re: Catfish Tim] #14646707 03/01/23 08:01 PM
T
TRH (formerly xpress00) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
yes, some counties and bodies of water have special regulations. Exactly why it's important to specifically know the laws for the county, or counties, you fish in. Thank you for bringing that to light as it might save someone from a ticket that lives, or travels, to that area to fish. However, if you are not in those counties, or bodies of water, it is legal to transport bait from lake to lake in tap water.

Re: Bait Laws [Re: Catfish Tim] #14646858 03/01/23 11:03 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Well what I was wanting to do is fill my baitwell on the boat with my fresh well water, head to this one small area lake where there is more shad than water lol. As I cast net bait I empty out the net into a separate big tub, use a small dip net to remove them after the initial shock passes and put them in my built in bait tank with the well water. By doing this, they can mess all in the water in the tub on deck, as it's filled with lake water anyway, but they get all the mess over with in the tub within a few minutes, then with the small bait net, I leave all that water in the tub and I just shoot them to the fresh well water. It makes for a huge difference on how clean your bait well stays by double tanking the bait as you capture them, like this.

A guy at the Gulf showed me this and explained why he did it with all his bait. Made a believer out of me. PITA to do, yes but it works, then with me fishing freshwater here, I go one step farther and fill the built in bait well with my well water. Win win, just not so sure I want need to use one of my separate bait tanks that are not built in, which I can easy enough, I have 2 a 30gal and a 60gal. The way I see those, I could fill them at the lake also, and that defeats everything doing that, i wouldn't do that, i would use well water in those...

So, I want to visit with the wardens about all this. I have found a hatchery that I can buy 300 perch at a time, which will require a much bigger tank at the house, if I find myself in the same situation as I was in last year. Heck, already have the tank, little over 300 Gallons if I remember right, just need to weld up some stuff to rig it, build a big replacement filter and buy this aeration pump and then do what I do best, the plumbing and it will be good to go. Just if I am good to double tank the bait from this one local lake and take to the other, not sure I will mess with the big 300 gallon tank, at least not right away. One problem I do have though, is I like building stuff like this and I am good at it, plus I like all the live bait around, be it trapped, cast netted, bought or whatever, I know, I know, I am sure they make meds for this sickness I have lol.

Oh, I understand the why, the grasscarp are only the beginning, we have had the golden algae, red tide and other really nasty things just wipe the good fish from more than a few lakes and bays, i have seen way more than most while i worked all over in and around the best waters in the country. So I get it. I also agree we all need to keep live wells ,bait wells and bilge clean, I do, trust me, mine is way clean and as mentioned, you look in mine with the well water, you know exactly what it is, heck I have drank water from some motels I have had to stay in that I thought was clean water and this well water I put in my bait well is way cleaner than that stuff lol...

Re: Bait Laws [Re: Catfish Tim] #14650648 03/05/23 02:29 PM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
So after everyone putting their thoughts into this, I called a GW buddy. He works in a county with a very popular bass lake right now. He said interpterion is up to the local GW on this bait thing. For him he said if he thinks you are being untruthful with him, he will not take it easy. He also said he has never ask for a receipt for bait. If he sees blue water then he doesn't ask where the bait comes from. If he sees dirty or untreated water, he will ask. He said the treated waters to keep zebra mussels from being spread. He also said to cannot dump your bait as the different kinds of live bait be used. He said if you are using frozen bait (Shimp) that he has ask to see the package to make sure if came from Texas.
But at the end of the day, he said he does not speak for GW in another county's.

Last edited by TGalyon1; 03/05/23 02:40 PM.
Re: Bait Laws [Re: TGalyon1] #14651077 03/06/23 12:40 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted by TGalyon1
So after everyone putting their thoughts into this, I called a GW buddy. He works in a county with a very popular bass lake right now. He said interpterion is up to the local GW on this bait thing. For him he said if he thinks you are being untruthful with him, he will not take it easy. He also said he has never ask for a receipt for bait. If he sees blue water then he doesn't ask where the bait comes from. If he sees dirty or untreated water, he will ask. He said the treated waters to keep zebra mussels from being spread. He also said to cannot dump your bait as the different kinds of live bait be used. He said if you are using frozen bait (Shimp) that he has ask to see the package to make sure if came from Texas.
But at the end of the day, he said he does not speak for GW in another county's.

The laws on bait are written pretty clearly and explicitly, the game warden has the decision to enforce the law, write a ticket, give a warning, etc, but they don’t “interpret” the law. Here’s the deal, if you buy bait, carry a receipt, you catch bait, if you want to transport it and it’s not on one of the “no transport” list of locations in the tpwd outdoor annual, then use treated tap water. Some game wardens may be more lenient on enforcement of that law than others, but if you read the law itself it’s pretty clear about what the rules are with bait.

Re: Bait Laws [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #14653096 03/07/23 11:31 PM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Originally Posted by TGalyon1

The laws on bait are written pretty clearly and explicitly, the game warden has the decision to enforce the law, write a ticket, give a warning, etc, but they don’t “interpret” the law. Here’s the deal, if you buy bait, carry a receipt, you catch bait, if you want to transport it and it’s not on one of the “no transport” list of locations in the tpwd outdoor annual, then use treated tap water. Some game wardens may be more lenient on enforcement of that law than others, but if you read the law itself it’s pretty clear about what the rules are with bait.

Sure Wardens interpret laws, at times differently Thats why we have courts.

Re: Bait Laws [Re: Catfish Tim] #14653266 03/08/23 02:16 AM
Z
zebcoomega1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
Another couple of laws that are a little confusing is limit and possession.
You can have double the limit if in vehicle? What if your group of buddies
go guided fishing and have 6 man limit but 1 man is in possession going
home.
Dumping of carcass of cleaned fish is another one. Surely the city dumps
workers don't want it and you don't want to bury it for critters to dig it up.

Re: Bait Laws [Re: Catfish Tim] #14653429 03/08/23 11:31 AM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I have always loved to fish with all the carcasses and cleanup after the day was done, like after everyone has eaten and nice and dark outside. I have been several really big popular docks that had awesome cleaning stations.

InSinkErator actually makes a 7-1/2hp garbage disposal unit that their demographic for that unit, is places just like these docks. They can wolf down 20lb fish carcasses like crazy. I did some work at the outboard manufacture that was right next door to the plant for InSinkErator in Racine, WI and have been in their plant. Awesome place too.

These sorts of cleaning stations though are absolutely killer to fish around, they have lights and running water. But these regs we have, I am not sure how this would apply. But, I have used the cleaned up carcasses of crappie plenty times and a head with some long floppy speckled skin hanging off that head is really great bait, and didn't use to be an issue to use.

Cats just go crazy around these cleaning stations though, it's a dead give away when you get the water running and throw the power on to that InSinkErator and you see the fish all start going nuts in the lake around the drain pipe taking all this chum to the lake. They knew that noise means dinner lol...

It's after all just the cleanup, we're not taking 5-6" live crappie and using them for live bait lol. It's predicted to be cold and windy here today, I have got to get down to the local field office of the TPWD and have a chat with these guys and see what they can shed light on about all this stuff. Today would be a good day for this, if nothing gets brought down and in my marching orders for the day...

Re: Bait Laws [Re: Rowdy] #14655444 03/09/23 10:31 PM
M
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
I have always loved to fish with all the carcasses and cleanup after the day was done, like after everyone has eaten and nice and dark outside. I have been several really big popular docks that had awesome cleaning stations.

InSinkErator actually makes a 7-1/2hp garbage disposal unit that their demographic for that unit, is places just like these docks. They can wolf down 20lb fish carcasses like crazy. I did some work at the outboard manufacture that was right next door to the plant for InSinkErator in Racine, WI and have been in their plant. Awesome place too.

These sorts of cleaning stations though are absolutely killer to fish around, they have lights and running water. But these regs we have, I am not sure how this would apply. But, I have used the cleaned up carcasses of crappie plenty times and a head with some long floppy speckled skin hanging off that head is really great bait, and didn't use to be an issue to use.

Cats just go crazy around these cleaning stations though, it's a dead give away when you get the water running and throw the power on to that InSinkErator and you see the fish all start going nuts in the lake around the drain pipe taking all this chum to the lake. They knew that noise means dinner lol...

It's after all just the cleanup, we're not taking 5-6" live crappie and using them for live bait lol. It's predicted to be cold and windy here today, I have got to get down to the local field office of the TPWD and have a chat with these guys and see what they can shed light on about all this stuff. Today would be a good day for this, if nothing gets brought down and in my marching orders for the day...

There is no gray area on this. Use of any gamefish, live, dead, cut, cleaned, or otherwise is illegal, you may not like it, but that much is explicitly stated in the regulation book. If you’re going to fish where the cleaning dock is, opt for a piece of bluegill or Shad instead.

Re: Bait Laws [Re: Catfish Tim] #14655788 03/10/23 11:40 AM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
No that is not the stuff I want to visit with the local field office with. I interested in the baitfish like shad and perch. The catching them in lakes, ponds or stock tanks; then take them to a different lake,pond or stock tank to either fish with them or even release them alive.

Then I want to ask them about this online place I can get live perch from and if I was to rig up a big enough tank here at the house and start using these for bait, not to sell; do I need a license or what.

Re: Bait Laws [Re: Rowdy] #14656206 03/10/23 05:43 PM
M
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
No that is not the stuff I want to visit with the local field office with. I interested in the baitfish like shad and perch. The catching them in lakes, ponds or stock tanks; then take them to a different lake,pond or stock tank to either fish with them or even release them alive.

Then I want to ask them about this online place I can get live perch from and if I was to rig up a big enough tank here at the house and start using these for bait, not to sell; do I need a license or what.

Everything you need to know is clearly spelled out in the link. Everything you’re talking about doing should be fine provided the fish didn’t come from the non transport list, you use treated tap water, and you keep a receipt for your bait. According to this the release of fish from one body to another only applies to gamefish. (Disclaimer, I’m not a legal expert, but this seems pretty clear to me, how you interpret it is ultimately up to you)
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...-regulations/general-fishing-regulations

Re: Bait Laws [Re: Rowdy] #14803115 08/07/23 09:42 PM
R
rmturner54 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Straight from the TPWD bait regulations.
Transport and use of commercially purchased live bait in water while fishing from a vessel is allowed, provided persons in possession of the bait have a receipt that identifies the source of the bait. Any live bait purchased from a location on or adjacent to public water body that is transported in water from that water body can only be used as bait on that same water body.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide