Forums59
Topics1,039,637
Posts13,968,182
Members144,210
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: Bob Davis] #13311041 10/14/19 01:01 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Bob Davis
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Originally Posted by Bob Davis
Just mulling this over in my head. Is this a bucket of worms or a lucrative income generator? You would have to buy say a $200K home 3 or 4 bedrooms in good shape. Zillow says on average you should get $1750/mo. rent for this. So like $21K in rent you would receive for the year. Roughly $5K for taxes subtracted leaves $16K. Subtract $1500 for insurance on the house leaves $14,500. Subtract $4500 for a "maintenance fund". Leaves $10K yr. That is $833 per month income.

Am I missing anything in this equation? Anyone else do this?

You're leaving out interest, unless you plan to do this as a cash purchase. Even then, you should allow yourself an interest factor for the use of your cash - when it's tied up in the house, nobody is paying you for using that money. Here's a handy amortization calculator that I like to use:

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/loan-calculator.aspx

Assuming for the sake of argument a 30 year $200K mortgage at 5% interest and no down payment (and ignoring any PMI/MIP that might normally be charged), the payment is about $1,073. The interest is over $800 per month for several years.

Termite service contract, lawn care ... if the tenant is supposed to mow the lawn, just wait for the notice from the city that you're being cited for an overgrown yard. If a realtor brings the tenant, you're almost certainly going to pay a commission or finders fee.

With all that said, if you can purchase a house for the right price, then renting makes alot of sense. Also remember to appropriately value your time spent on the property. One good rule of thumb someone taught me long ago is that your cost of insurance and property taxes should not be more than 1/3rd of your rent. So the example numbers you're giving would make sense.

Good points Zeek, but I was thinking instead of having $200K sitting in a savings account making 1.90% annualy, invest in buying a rental property. For income generation the return is higher on a rental property but from what everyone seems to be saying is that it is still a dice roll with headaches of bad tenants, etc. Thanks.

It's not bad, and that's exactly why I did it but at the time bank was only paying 1 percent lol.

Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: Bob Davis] #13311066 10/14/19 01:24 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
It's all about how much you pay for the house and what kind of renters you get. Buy the house cheap and get good renters, and you can do really well.

Personally I wouldn't pay $200k for a rental. The folks I know who have done well paid much less than that. My old boss just retired a few years ago at 52. Has 40+ rental houses and his rule for years was to never pay more than $25k. He spends a bunch fighting renters that don't pay and you can't get anything for that price now, but he's retired at 52, goes on at least one vacation a month, and hasn't touched his 401k or pension.

Now I don't think that's ideal either. My wife and I just got into this. Spent $79k on a house, put $9k into it, and getting $1100/month with really good renters. I'd try to find something in the $100k-$125k range. $2000/month rent may not hold up very well if the economy goes south, but $1000/month will hold up for much longer. At least that's my theory. Lots of folks are doing well in the $2000/month, and the closer you get into the metroplex that might be fine, but we're out the outskirts of the suburbs and I wouldn't take those risks here.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: patriot07] #13311082 10/14/19 01:40 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by patriot07
It's all about how much you pay for the house and what kind of renters you get. Buy the house cheap and get good renters, and you can do really well.

Personally I wouldn't pay $200k for a rental. The folks I know who have done well paid much less than that. My old boss just retired a few years ago at 52. Has 40+ rental houses and his rule for years was to never pay more than $25k. He spends a bunch fighting renters that don't pay and you can't get anything for that price now, but he's retired at 52, goes on at least one vacation a month, and hasn't touched his 401k or pension.

Now I don't think that's ideal either. My wife and I just got into this. Spent $79k on a house, put $9k into it, and getting $1100/month with really good renters. I'd try to find something in the $100k-$125k range. $2000/month rent may not hold up very well if the economy goes south, but $1000/month will hold up for much longer. At least that's my theory. Lots of folks are doing well in the $2000/month, and the closer you get into the metroplex that might be fine, but we're out the outskirts of the suburbs and I wouldn't take those risks here.

I'm not knocking cheap rentals, I have one and its is the worst performing property I have, I bought for 80k, put 12k in it. Rents for 950. It has been rented all but 3 months for the 4 years i have owned it. First problem is these type houses dont really go up in value like the current, nicer new homes, if I sold it I would get maybe what I have in it back, currently I would make 50k each in appreciation on my nice rentals. Next is you do deal with a different type of tenant, I mentioned earlier I have a lawyer and a retired colonel in mine. I sleep well knowing the properties are in good hands. 3rd and a biggie is that the repairs eat up all the money on a 1000 dollar a month house. A hot water heater is basically the same price no matter the house, one you get 2k plus one you get 1k, one or 2 issues a year really kill your return. One of the more wealthy friend I have bought 3 new properties in a desirable area for 600k each, rents them for 5k a month and they are all ways rented, executive types. Now even at that rate with the property taxes the return isnt good, but after 3 years those houses would all sell close to 900k each putting 900k in his pocket. My point being there are different ways of looking at things.

Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: Bob Davis] #13311110 10/14/19 02:08 PM
Fishingking Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Are you including HOA dues in the equation. Every house we have in our HOA is a Pain in the rear. None of them water or maintain the yard, they violate every rule we have. All we can do is send notices to the owner who really don't care.

Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: WAWI] #13311118 10/14/19 02:22 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline OP
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by WAWI

I'm not knocking cheap rentals, I have one and its is the worst performing property I have, I bought for 80k, put 12k in it. Rents for 950. It has been rented all but 3 months for the 4 years i have owned it. First problem is these type houses dont really go up in value like the current, nicer new homes, if I sold it I would get maybe what I have in it back, currently I would make 50k each in appreciation on my nice rentals. Next is you do deal with a different type of tenant, I mentioned earlier I have a lawyer and a retired colonel in mine. I sleep well knowing the properties are in good hands. 3rd and a biggie is that the repairs eat up all the money on a 1000 dollar a month house. A hot water heater is basically the same price no matter the house, one you get 2k plus one you get 1k, one or 2 issues a year really kill your return. One of the more wealthy friend I have bought 3 new properties in a desirable area for 600k each, rents them for 5k a month and they are all ways rented, executive types. Now even at that rate with the property taxes the return isnt good, but after 3 years those houses would all sell close to 900k each putting 900k in his pocket. My point being there are different ways of looking at things.

Sometimes the old addage "It takes money to make money" holds true. Point taken on the appreciation factor.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: Fishingking] #13311119 10/14/19 02:24 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline OP
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Fishingking
Are you including HOA dues in the equation. Every house we have in our HOA is a Pain in the rear. None of them water or maintain the yard, they violate every rule we have. All we can do is send notices to the owner who really don't care.

Excellent point. I would have to buy a house that is not in an HOA. That legal nightmare is not worth it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: Jpurdue] #13311120 10/14/19 02:25 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline OP
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I've thought long and hard about it a bunch of times. I always end up deciding not to do it. Just too many horror stories with renters. When you start to factor in your time managing the people and the maintenance issues that 4.4% you think you are making shrinks very quickly. Easier ways to make similar of better returns with far less work. (Like just about any deep discount index fund from Vanguard).

I see your points. Investment vehicles like the Vanguard index though are longer term earnings and not monthly income generators. Thanks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: patriot07] #13311123 10/14/19 02:27 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline OP
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
B

Sounds like you did good with it so far. Congrats!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: Bob Davis] #13311124 10/14/19 02:27 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
And Bob dont just think appreciation, think liquidity, I could sell my nice rentals in 30 days pretty easy. My low end you are looking for a special buyer, someone who wants a 100k house to live in may not qualify for loan so your buyers are investors who want it for cheap. Unless I was to discount it substantially I think my cheap rental might take 6 months to sell.

Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: Bob Davis] #13311280 10/14/19 04:45 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have rented three properties out when I moved to another state due to my job. They all worked out because we got good renters who built up the equity for me and when I sold, I made a good chunk of change from each of them.

Then I bought a house in California on a double short sale who had a renter in it and I quickly learned the other side of the coin when he refused to vacate. He had a child in the house and in Cali., that was as good as gold because he could not be removed from the house. As long as he was paying $20.00/month on the $2,500.00/month rental agreement, nothing could be done on a legal basis. It took one crazy SOB to stop by one night and threaten him with all kinds of bodily damage to get him to leave so I could close on the house. Two days later, he cleared the house but did some damage on his way out that the bank had to eat (they were the 'Owners'). That was the last time I would ever consider a rental property for income purposes.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: BlueNitro] #13311294 10/14/19 04:54 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline OP
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by BlueNitro
I have rented three properties out when I moved to another state due to my job. They all worked out because we got good renters who built up the equity for me and when I sold, I made a good chunk of change from each of them.

Then I bought a house in California on a double short sale who had a renter in it and I quickly learned the other side of the coin when he refused to vacate. He had a child in the house and in Cali., that was as good as gold because he could not be removed from the house. As long as he was paying $20.00/month on the $2,500.00/month rental agreement, nothing could be done on a legal basis. It took one crazy SOB to stop by one night and threaten him with all kinds of bodily damage to get him to leave so I could close on the house. Two days later, he cleared the house but did some damage on his way out that the bank had to eat (they were the 'Owners'). That was the last time I would ever consider a rental property for income purposes.

Yep. Californication at its finest. The courts are filled with these types of cases. Squatters too, move in, never leave. Like a roach motel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: Bob Davis] #13311319 10/14/19 05:14 PM
C
camo-jorts Offline
Angler
Angler
C
My business partner and I have quite a few rentals. Buy new! I know it sounds nuts, we have several in a new development that ranged from $189-$249. They rent from $1800-$2700 a month we use a property management company. Also when we have them built we do not go crazy with granite and such. There is not enough nice 4/2/3 houses in the Texas rental market. Our goal is 40 by 2030, he owns a mobile home park which is where the money is. Problem is the county is always on his backside

�Status quo, you know, is Latin for �the mess we�re in� Ronald Reagan
Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: camo-jorts] #13311978 10/15/19 02:28 AM
B
Bob Davis Offline OP
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by camo-jorts
My business partner and I have quite a few rentals. Buy new! I know it sounds nuts, we have several in a new development that ranged from $189-$249. They rent from $1800-$2700 a month we use a property management company. Also when we have them built we do not go crazy with granite and such. There is not enough nice 4/2/3 houses in the Texas rental market. Our goal is 40 by 2030, he owns a mobile home park which is where the money is. Problem is the county is always on his backside

Interesting info for sure!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: Bob Davis] #13312672 10/15/19 08:17 PM
D
dyollpster Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
With rates as low as they are, I don't think paying cash for a house makes much sense. I have a few rentals. I put 20% down on all of them. Let the bank take the risk. Get a good lawyer, insurance agent, and real estate agent, and put the properties in an LLC.
I would buy somewhere with a college and hospitals. This doesn't mean you're renting to college students, but it does help with demand. At the end of the day, the key is good tenants and a good lease.

Re: Buying and renting out a house questions [Re: dyollpster] #13313114 10/16/19 03:18 AM
B
Bob Davis Offline OP
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by dyollpster
With rates as low as they are, I don't think paying cash for a house makes much sense. I have a few rentals. I put 20% down on all of them. Let the bank take the risk. Get a good lawyer, insurance agent, and real estate agent, and put the properties in an LLC.
I would buy somewhere with a college and hospitals. This doesn't mean you're renting to college students, but it does help with demand. At the end of the day, the key is good tenants and a good lease.

Good points.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide