Forums59
Topics1,039,390
Posts13,963,754
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: Hawkeyewholesale] #13162435 05/22/19 03:27 AM
doctorxring Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Retail stores now are for quick pickups that you cant wait 2 days for it to come from Amazon delivered to your front porch.

I dont know about DFW but what we need in San Antonio are some live bait locations. A town of over a million people with NO places to buy live bait except for night crawlers at WalMart or Academy. Nuts !

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free
Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: rebait] #13164454 05/23/19 06:41 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by rebait
I hate to put a damper on your excitement. My family has been in retail for over 50 years. Not in the fishing industry, but I don't think it matters in this thread. Retail has changed so much in the last 10 years. Matter of fact it has completely changed for the bad for brick and motor retail. Customers are not loyal anymore, they don't need to be because of online shopping. They will find it cheaper, have it shipped to their door and order it from their Lazy boy while sitting in their underwear while drinking beer in the middle of the night. They will find the item they want in your store after picking your brain, then pull it up on there phone to check pricing. After they find it on some closeout price they will ask you to match price, if you can't many will walk.
They will buy it online and then ask if you will exchange, they might even tell you they got a great deal because they bought it for 5% less than you are selling it for and then ask if you want to buy from them. I have seen and heard most everything. I can't begin to tell you how much things have changed it just blows you mind. Most of the boxes are selling more online than in their big fantastic stores. Those stores we built to increase their brand awareness.
Overhead costs are higher than they have ever been by a large margin. Save you money you will need it for retirement, retail is a bad investment. Just read this thread carefully. Your future customers have said you need the best price, best selection, best and longest hours, best location they don't want you to specialize they want you to have everything, they want you to have unique items(slow sellers) and on and on. By the way you sure won't have time to fish yourself if you are successful in your venture. It used to be rewarding but now is just frustrating.
If you ever make some one mad( it will happen to the best of us) you will be crucified on the internet in full public view. You will be berated worse than someone running for political office over a two dollar sale just because they can and it makes them feel big( examples of this often crop up right on this sight). They don't care that this is your lively hood just that they think you wronged them some way or another. Wish I had time to go fishing, and to think we are having a good day.
Sorry unload but the world, she is a changing. My father who started our business just turned 90 years thinks it is time for me to sell out and get a life. You know the older you get the smarter you get.
Good Luck and profitability in all you ventures.

Well said, and sadly, the truth.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13164754 05/24/19 12:10 AM
horton5303 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I hate to put a damper on your excitement. My family has been in retail for over 50 years. Not in the fishing industry, but I don't think it matters in this thread. Retail has changed so much in the last 10 years. Matter of fact it has completely changed for the bad for brick and motor retail. Customers are not loyal anymore, they don't need to be because of online shopping. They will find it cheaper, have it shipped to their door and order it from their Lazy boy while sitting in their underwear while drinking beer in the middle of the night. They will find the item they want in your store after picking your brain, then pull it up on there phone to check pricing. After they find it on some closeout price they will ask you to match price, if you can't many will walk.
They will buy it online and then ask if you will exchange, they might even tell you they got a great deal because they bought it for 5% less than you are selling it for and then ask if you want to buy from them. I have seen and heard most everything. I can't begin to tell you how much things have changed it just blows you mind. Most of the boxes are selling more online than in their big fantastic stores. Those stores we built to increase their brand awareness.
Overhead costs are higher than they have ever been by a large margin. Save you money you will need it for retirement, retail is a bad investment. Just read this thread carefully. Your future customers have said you need the best price, best selection, best and longest hours, best location they don't want you to specialize they want you to have everything, they want you to have unique items(slow sellers) and on and on. By the way you sure won't have time to fish yourself if you are successful in your venture. It used to be rewarding but now is just frustrating.
If you ever make some one mad( it will happen to the best of us) you will be crucified on the internet in full public view. You will be berated worse than someone running for political office over a two dollar sale just because they can and it makes them feel big( examples of this often crop up right on this sight). They don't care that this is your lively hood just that they think you wronged them some way or another. Wish I had time to go fishing, and to think we are having a good day.
Sorry unload but the world, she is a changing. My father who started our business just turned 90 years thinks it is time for me to sell out and get a life. You know the older you get the smarter you get.

Well said, and sadly, the truth.

Very well said. It's sad but true.

DriftAway Charters Fishing Trips. South Padre Island, Texas. Bay fishing at it's finest! Call 956-505-9500 to book your trip. https://southpadrefishingtrips.com/
Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: Hawkeyewholesale] #13164787 05/24/19 12:46 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I think if you truly looked at what it costs to fully stock a decent tackle shop with inventory especially bass wise you will be pushing well into six figures and approaching $200,000 if not careful. It ain't cheap and margins are not the greatest on some mandatory items either. Prepare for long hours and no fishing plus a drain on your finances.

Be careful asking other people how to spend your money as well. Some of the locations being thrown out do not have the density to sustain a store like you are talking about.

Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: Hawkeyewholesale] #13165152 05/24/19 12:09 PM
J
joebass2 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
There was a store up in Lake Dallas in the 80's and early 90's called the Bass House. It was a great little tackle shop, and I think he did okay until the Academy's, BPS, and Cabellas came to town.

Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: Hawkeyewholesale] #13165204 05/24/19 12:53 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Hawkeyewholesale
Im moving my wholesale bait buissness along with it and retail helps me stay organized I think being able to take care of both would be the only way a guy could make it and we have an online store we are in the process of launching

Combining all 3 into one is a good way to do it, good luck with it, will certainly check you out when you set up shop.

[Linked Image]
Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: doctorxring] #13165216 05/24/19 01:00 PM
Medinalakeguy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by doctorxring

Retail stores now are for quick pickups that you cant wait 2 days for it to come from Amazon delivered to your front porch.

I dont know about DFW but what we need in San Antonio are some live bait locations. A town of over a million people with NO places to buy live bait except for night crawlers at WalMart or Academy. Nuts !

Also crazy is the towns inability to carry any bass fishing oriented stores. Like he said a town of over a million, and no where to buy stuff except the typical Bass Pro or Academy.

Falcon Rods > G.Loomis
2004 Skeeter ZX250
JIMBO WINBO
Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: Hawkeyewholesale] #13166521 05/25/19 08:17 PM
Hawkeyewholesale Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
Thats why I'm willing to give it a shot because there in nowhere down there with a very big selection a lot of the hard to find stuff i would order in for my customers so that way i wasn't sitting on inventory i carried the most popular items and stocked those i also did a lot of boxes at my store the Bass mafia boxes always seemed to sell good as a wholesaler my prices are around 20 percent below dealer cost so there is some very good profit margins i am set up with spro gamagatzu Big Bite P line sunline Strike king abu garcia pluegger Penn Berkley plano frabill livingston bandit aftco gill dirty jigs and many more the market is a tough one but if i can sell live bait and get into the wholesale side of things it makes it easy for a place like me to make it I had a shop here and my wholesale bait business exploded and i closed it down bass wise i didn't do to good i live in iowa and its mainly catfish and walleye up here most people up here I was open 88hrs hrs and reliability is the main thing in this business and then also being able to beat pricing and still make money

Josh McDaniel
Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: Hawkeyewholesale] #13166541 05/25/19 08:57 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Another thing to think about is the fluctuating water levels, lakes around here, Lewisville/Grapevine are high now with most ramps closed.Several years ago they were very low with most ramps closed...

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: Hawkeyewholesale] #13166555 05/25/19 09:19 PM
Hawkeyewholesale Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
Yea most of my business up here is on the mississippi river and its been flooded out for the last year

Josh McDaniel
Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: Hawkeyewholesale] #13166908 05/26/19 11:37 AM
67TexasTBend Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Another thing to add to your store would be Reel Cleaning and repair services.

Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: rebait] #13167525 05/27/19 02:14 AM
B
bluesea112 Offline
Angler
Angler
B

^^ Read that again ^^

If you are dead set on opening a retail shop, then I would sure offer services to pay the bills. It is hard to find a good reel repairman. It is equally hard to find an inhouse trolling motor repair shop.

Last edited by bluesea112; 05/27/19 02:19 AM.
Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: joebass2] #13168050 05/27/19 07:39 PM
F
forkduc Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
He also had a Plano location. If you bought an annual membership.$60?, each item had a discount code you received. Did really well for a long time. Before BPS, Cabelas and Academy.

Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: Hawkeyewholesale] #13168089 05/27/19 08:32 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Hawkeyewholesale
Thats why I'm willing to give it a shot because there in nowhere down there with a very big selection a lot of the hard to find stuff

Have you never been to Anglers Pro Tackle or Fun N Sun. Both are loaded with hard to find, small label, high end. JDM as well as most anything you can think of. Even some Academy locations here carry Evergreen etc.

Re: Would bass store work in dfw area [Re: bronco71] #13169919 05/29/19 05:12 PM
W
wytex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Originally Posted by bronco71
The south side of Lewisville, I35E/121 area would catch traffic going up 35 to Lake Lewisville and Ray Roberts and 121 traffic going to east side of Lake Lewisville and west to Grapevine. Competition would be Academy in Lewisville (not stocked very well for fishing) and Bass Pro (Grapevine), neither of which have much in the way of live bait. There used to be a gas station in Grapevine that sold minnows but I don't know if they are still there. Bass Pro stopped doing bulk line winding, only wind line if you buy the regular spools of line there or buy a reel.

I was going to bring up this point, live bait dealer. A good one is needed that carries many species of live bait and sizes of minnows .

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide