Print Thread
Devils River #13082888 03/05/19 04:53 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
I am sure there has been a discussion about this before but i didn't see one. I have not been, but I would like to try to go this year with a couple buddies. I have watched several videos about this trip on you tube and it looks like a blast with the potential for some really great fishing and memories. Who all has done this awesome trip? It seems like its not the easiest trip to plan, or even an easy place to get to. I know there are outfitters & river guides that can plan everything & set it up. But, is this something that can also be done DIY? Anybody have experience doing it that way? Im guessing early spring (like right now) or late fall are probably the best times for this trip for good flow and Temps? A 3 to 4 day trip would be ideal for me but i know that this may not be possible with any areas down there. Any and all advice, past experiences, recommendations, or other appreciated.

Ray
Re: Devils River [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13083323 03/06/19 12:14 AM
M
Matty Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Hopefully Brady Sullivan chimes in for you. He gave me some great info when I went.

You can absolutely DIY it, except for the put-in/take-out. You'll need one of the registered outfitters to help you with that and it ain't cheap cause it ain't easy. It's an awesome place but you need to be prepared. Great fishing. A few difficult spots. Hopefully the wind isn't blowing. Or at least hope its a tailwind.

Re: Devils River [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13083727 03/06/19 01:43 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Definitely read up with these two TPWD links: Link 1 and Link 2

The first thing you should do is set a weekend, back up weekend, and then a tertiary weekend weekend with your group as you'll need to secure permits from TPWD. I think there is a way not to have to get the permits through TPWD, but it would mean you're paddling up the Devils from Amistad and camping on public islands. I believe this is how Shane Davies does most his trips.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Devils River [Re: Neumie] #13085739 03/08/19 05:08 AM
B
B_Rod Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Neumie

The first thing you should do is set a weekend, back up weekend, and then a tertiary weekend weekend with your group as you'll need to secure permits from TPWD. I think there is a way not to have to get the permits through TPWD, but it would mean you're paddling up the Devils from Amistad and camping on public islands. I believe this is how Shane Davies does most his trips.

Paddling up the Devils from Amistad is a physically difficult trip. Ask me how I know.

Re: Devils River [Re: B_Rod] #13086141 03/08/19 04:44 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted by B_Rod
Originally Posted by Neumie

Paddling up the Devils from Amistad is a physically difficult trip. Ask me how I know.

Yeah that sounds rough. From what I have read and looked at, it seems like Bakers Crossing to Dan A Hughes SNA, or Del Norte SNA to Dan A Hughes SNA are going to be the most enjoyable routes. I definitely wouldn't want to miss Dolan Falls. It seems like Amistad Expedtions is the way to go as far as a shuttle service is concerned.

Ray
Re: Devils River [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13086320 03/08/19 07:09 PM
G
glen6131 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I have made the trip and it will be something u will remember always. Depending on water level be prepared to do a little dragging by Bakers Crossing. Dolan Falls is great. I did really well on small plastic creature baits. Caught some really good Smallmouth and Largemouth. Be carefull at game warden rock & three tier falls. Have something to tie your rods flat on the yak. Some of the cane breaks will yank it out of a rod holder sticking out. Good luck

Re: Devils River [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13102747 03/25/19 09:36 PM
B
Brady S Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
If you want to do a 3-4 day trip you need to do Baker Crossing to the south SNA (30 mile trip) or Gerald Bailey's house (24 mile trip). Good fishing can be had almost every month of the year there whether it is 50*F or 105*F. I was there March 9-11, the water is up big still from the rains last fall, no dragging at all, a little off color for some reason... The fish were biting pretty good, I caught a 7.34# largemouth. If you take out at the SNA, then use Amistad Expeditions, if you take out at Gerald's house then you have to use him for a shuttle.

You have to camp on islands and/or use the state's public sites at mile 12 and 20. If you plan on using islands and have never been you'll need a GPS to find them or more than likely you will blow right by them or not cover enough water per day to reach them before dark. Trust me on this one. I could help with location of islands.

Re: Devils River [Re: Brady S] #13103533 03/26/19 03:36 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Brady S
If you want to do a 3-4 day trip you need to do Baker Crossing to the south SNA (30 mile trip) or Gerald Bailey's house (24 mile trip). Good fishing can be had almost every month of the year there whether it is 50*F or 105*F. I was there March 9-11, the water is up big still from the rains last fall, no dragging at all, a little off color for some reason... The fish were biting pretty good, I caught a 7.34# largemouth. If you take out at the SNA, then use Amistad Expeditions, if you take out at Gerald's house then you have to use him for a shuttle.

You have to camp on islands and/or use the state's public sites at mile 12 and 20. If you plan on using islands and have never been you'll need a GPS to find them or more than likely you will blow right by them or not cover enough water per day to reach them before dark. Trust me on this one. I could help with location of islands.

Do you have info on Geralds house ? Contact#

Re: Devils River [Re: BrandoA] #13103577 03/26/19 04:00 PM
B
Brady S Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
830-703-0089
830-395-2266

Re: Devils River [Re: Brady S] #13103850 03/26/19 06:35 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted by Brady S

Brady,

Thanks for the info, I will definitely shoot you a direct message with more questions & help locating camping spots & locations of the islands as soon as we figure out dates.

Ray
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide