Re: Straight from the pros [Re: Kevin Bryant] #12923629 10/05/18 04:57 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
Originally Posted By: Kevin Bryant
I would be willing to bet the number of people that golf compared to the number of people who fish is 10 to 1.... maybe even higher. Yeah, Tiger definitely helped golf gain popularity among non-golfers, but Id still bet something like 80% of PGAs TV viewership plays golf or used to play golf. Most people I talk to about fishing that dont fish think of fishing as Sitting in a boat/on the bank with a beer in your hand watching a bobber. Were still a long ways from being where golf is IMO. But as a current fan, Im thankful for more opportunities to watch the top level compete.

Fishing ranks as the 4th most popular participation sport in the country, beating out bicycling, bowling, basketball, golf, jogging, baseball, softball, soccer, football and skiing. Only walking, swimming and camping are more popular in fact, fishing is more popular than golf and tennis combined.

https://outdoorindustry.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2016-Special-Report-on-Fishing_FINAL_WEB1.pdf

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Straight from the pros [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12923631 10/05/18 04:59 PM
Mark Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
Originally Posted By: Kevin Bryant
I would be willing to bet the number of people that golf compared to the number of people who fish is 10 to 1.... maybe even higher. Yeah, Tiger definitely helped golf gain popularity among non-golfers, but Id still bet something like 80% of PGAs TV viewership plays golf or used to play golf. Most people I talk to about fishing that dont fish think of fishing as Sitting in a boat/on the bank with a beer in your hand watching a bobber. Were still a long ways from being where golf is IMO. But as a current fan, Im thankful for more opportunities to watch the top level compete.

Fishing ranks as the 4th most popular participation sport in the country, beating out bicycling, bowling, basketball, golf, jogging, baseball, softball, soccer, football and skiing. Only walking, swimming and camping are more popular in fact, fishing is more popular than golf and tennis combined.

https://outdoorindustry.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2016-Special-Report-on-Fishing_FINAL_WEB1.pdf

^^^ thumb

Re: Straight from the pros [Re: Mark Jones] #12923712 10/05/18 06:07 PM
T
Tony_Wornick Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Still doesn't mean they will watch it on tv.

Re: Straight from the pros [Re: Mark Jones] #12923727 10/05/18 06:31 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
The sport of fishing is NOWHERE the same as Sport Fishing. The vast majority of people participating in the sport of fishing are doing so leasurly. They are not full blast fishing, culling, flying from
Spot to spot. They are drinking and relaxing. Nothing like other sports that are participation sports. Soccer, even for fun, keeps a score. Golf, even for fun, keeps a score. Everything that is listed above, has some type of score that validates ones performance. Almost nobody culls bass and weighs em up. They either fish for whatever bites:....and I do mean anything. Or they fish to cook.

Bass tournament folks make up such a small percentage of the fishing public, that its basically
Non-existent.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Straight from the pros [Re: Mark Jones] #12923775 10/05/18 07:36 PM
R
RMOROTT21 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
We ain't talking bout how it ranks as participation sport we talking bout how many people gonna watch it on tv

Re: Straight from the pros [Re: Mark Jones] #12923808 10/05/18 08:05 PM
David Rush Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Right. Peoples interest in an activity has nothing to do with them having an interest in watching it on tv. smile Seriously though, this format is built to make this sport as entertaining as possible in my opinion. I dont know much about media but, I think the folks at OSG do. If tournament fishing can reach the audience outside of what it normally does. I think whats happening with BPT is far and away the best chance its ever had.

Last edited by David Rush; 10/05/18 08:06 PM.
Re: Straight from the pros [Re: David Rush] #12923818 10/05/18 08:12 PM
Mark Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: David Rush
R I think the folks at OSG do.

Bingo, they do and they'll do their thing with MLF just like they have the last 7 years and we can all sit back and armchair the deal. hammer

Re: Straight from the pros [Re: RMOROTT21] #12923823 10/05/18 08:17 PM
J
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
Originally Posted By: RMOROTT21
We ain't talking bout how it ranks as participation sport we talking bout how many people gonna watch it on tv

Participation or interest in a sport has a lot to do with who watches it on TV.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: Straight from the pros [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12923836 10/05/18 08:27 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop

I disagree to an extent. There's millions that fish all over the world. There are also millions that have no idea you can fish competitively for money. Nor have any clue about watching it on TV. Why do you think fishing shows get crappy time slots on channels.
Big differences in recreational fishing and tournament bass fishing.

Re: Straight from the pros [Re: Sinkey] #12923841 10/05/18 08:33 PM
J
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
Originally Posted By: Sinkey

I disagree to an extent. There's millions that fish all over the world. There are also millions that have no idea you can fish competitively for money. Nor have any clue about watching it on TV. Why do you think fishing shows get crappy time slots on channels.

Go ask a guy who catfishes if he has ever heard of Kevin VanDam or Mike Iaconelli. There's a reason the fishing industry spends so much on tournament bass fishing and it's not because they are only targeting tournament bass anglers.

[Linked Image]
Re: Straight from the pros [Re: J.P. Greeson] #12923852 10/05/18 08:42 PM
T
Tony_Wornick Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Sinkey

Go ask a guy who catfishes if he has ever heard of Kevin VanDam or Mike Iaconelli. There's a reason the fishing industry spends so much on tournament bass fishing and it's not because they are only targeting tournament bass anglers.

I bet 80% (of catfishers) have never heard of KVD.

Re: Straight from the pros [Re: Mark Jones] #12923882 10/05/18 09:12 PM
David Rush Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Try looking at it this way... Reality type shows and sports are a large percentage of what is aired now. From the major networks to the cable channels reality is dominating. I watch sports and a variety of reality almost exclusively if its not news. Its not always about only fishermen watching fishing shows anymore. My dad watches the Tour De France every year and hes probably been on a bike 3 times in the last fifty years. He does it because he likes the footage of the scenery. I may watch Fixer Upper with my wife. Im not in the remodeling business. Weve had several reality shows approach our business to do a show. Theyre looking for personalities and entertainment. Im not saying OSG is trying to create a hybrid sports/reality show but, theres a reason they picked guys that have the total package. MLF has been entertaining and theyre about to take it to a whole new level. Of course it could flop. Business is risky. Then the nay sayers can say I told you so.

Re: Straight from the pros [Re: Mark Jones] #12923913 10/05/18 09:51 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
MANY millions of people who do not play football watch football. I personally don't play golf but watch every major religiously. Watching fishing on tv, live, has never been a thing. So to me the whole argument is apples and oranges. Until now. If MLF can figure out a way to broadcast to a wide audience live and make it interesting, then I think it would be fair to compare.

“The more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.” - Lindsey Graham, 2016
Re: Straight from the pros [Re: Mark Jones] #12923999 10/05/18 11:22 PM
K
Kevin Bryant Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Maybe I worded it wrong. People that fish is VERY broad. How about this... the number of people that golf compared to the number of people that competitively fish for bass is probably 10 to 1. And Id be willing to bet that most of professional bass fishings television viewership is people who competitively fish.

MBC & Associates, LLC
Specialty Commercial Construction & Asset Management
Roofing Project Manager and Moisture Consultant
Certified Infrared Thermographer
IRMS & HAAG Certified Inspector
C: (214) 289-2601
Re: Straight from the pros [Re: Jeezy] #12924001 10/05/18 11:25 PM
K
Kevin Bryant Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Originally Posted By: CoachCBA
MANY millions of people who do not play football watch football. I personally don't play golf but watch every major religiously. Watching fishing on tv, live, has never been a thing. So to me the whole argument is apples and oranges. Until now. If MLF can figure out a way to broadcast to a wide audience live and make it interesting, then I think it would be fair to compare.

How many people are going to tune into the Outdoor Channel that dont participate in outdoor activities? Heck, I dont even have the Outdoor Channel. If they want it to go mainstream, it needs to be broadcasted on a mainstream network. I still feel like BASS has that advantage over MLF.

MBC & Associates, LLC
Specialty Commercial Construction & Asset Management
Roofing Project Manager and Moisture Consultant
Certified Infrared Thermographer
IRMS & HAAG Certified Inspector
C: (214) 289-2601
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide