Page 1 of 2 1 2
The new Bonafide SI 123 #12879676 08/28/18 10:45 PM
C
Clay34 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: Clay34] #12880340 08/29/18 03:42 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Clay34,

Sort of similar to the Native Ultimate FX 13 in a way, excepting the Native has a pedal drive.

It'll be a niche kayak, this one. You can sort of see them angling in that direction, presenting it this way. Ducks Unlimited.

I'm no fan of the general design of the two current Bonafides, too angular, hard chines, all of that geometric stuff. They look like cheaper kayaks to me. This one is even worse, just ugly to my eyes. But, it is a prototype and things could change.

I do like that little sliding dashboard, whatever they called it. That is a nice option.

Brad

Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: Clay34] #12880353 08/29/18 03:52 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
They said quick...they said that about the others also...i hope they upped their idea of quick because the other 2 are not. It is also hard to look at. I hope it performs.

Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: christian myrick] #12880720 08/29/18 08:07 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: christian myrick
They said quick...they said that about the others also...i hope they upped their idea of quick because the other 2 are not. It is also hard to look at. I hope it performs.

My earlier comment, too, Christian about its appearance. An ugly duckling. It better perform well, fish jump inside . . . all by themselves.

If it paddles or handles poorly, it'll be over before it even gets started.

Brad

Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: christian myrick] #12881154 08/30/18 02:00 AM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
I get this kayak isn't really targeted for the Texas crowd, as sit in kayaks are more popular in northern climates, but I don't understand this kayak. Part of the reason for going with a sink in norther climates is the ability to use a spray skirt during colder months for warmth and staying dry; it doesn't look like that's an option given the seat and lip design. It looks like it would have a lot of freeboard, too.

If the target audience was a scupperless yak for heavily timbered lakes, duck hunters as a decoy caring/lay down blind option, or a camping kayaking (as mentioned in videos), I think creating a canoe/kayak hybrid a la NW Ultimate or WS Commander would be a a much better, more versatile option. If they're targeting a recreational paddler, then the ability to stand will be a lost feature and efficiency will suffer.

It looks like they bought the top half of the sit inside Raptor mold and made it fit the bottom half of their SS127. The bobsled analogies are spot it.

Says the guy who thought Raptor kayaks were quick. grin

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: Clay34] #12881316 08/30/18 09:36 AM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Neumie, i did a 5k in 30 min 11 sec in the sit on top raptor, out of any of the stable kayaks is there another that could do that? I never said it was fast compaired to all types of kayaks but as far as the standup yaks go it was quick. As far as this sit in goes, its much harder to exit a sitin kayak than asiton. Also as neumie said,sit ins are ment to keep the paddler away from cold water.

Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: christian myrick] #12881350 08/30/18 11:32 AM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Neumie, i did a 5k in 30 min 11 sec in the sit on top raptor, out of any of the stable kayaks is there another that could do that? I never said it was fast compaired to all types of kayaks but as far as the standup yaks go it was quick.

I remember, just having some fun with you.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: Clay34] #12881361 08/30/18 11:52 AM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
I dont get this boat. Like its not for fishing, its not really a rec. yak...what is it for?

Even kind of feels like the guy pitching knows its sh**.... But I guess someone must like it.

Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: Clay34] #12882772 08/31/18 12:44 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I've mentioned this elsewhere, that I think we will soon find out if Luther C., Chad H. and others read fishing social media, pay any attention to it. If so, Luther might shelve this project, reconsider it. If a person is surrounded by sycophants, he or she won't hear what needs to be said. We can be brutally honest out here discussing new offerings.

And, some kayaks, really good ones, don't survive either. The ICAST 2015 Best in Show Eddyline C-135 is already out of production after just over 2 actual years of retail availability. Has a better looking kayak ever been made? A lighter one? True, I know, it was pricey . . . but not for the same guys who'll spend 4 or 5 grand for a PA with a bit of added gear. If there is a high end market for a pedaler, there should have been one for a paddler. One would think so, but apparently not so much.

Then, the super great Native Ulitmate FX Propel 13? It is a single skin sit-inside, too. Great looks, fast and sleek, pedals fast and paddles fast, stable. Innovative design features. Native still makes it . . . but it is hardly a big seller by any standards.

Luther is noted for making some fine accessories, for sure, but he's trending all along his own path with some of his kayak ideas. Either he changes the whole kayak industry, or he does. I'm betting he's the one who will need to alter his tack. He better do it fast. His industry cachet is weakening fast.

Brad

Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: Clay34] #12882902 08/31/18 01:54 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I look at it like this...luther is a smart guy who takes risks. That is a great thing for kayak fishing. Some risks taken arent always frutfull. Santa cruz did it with their g2 design, it was a miserable flop and ended up destroying the company. As far as yaks available for paddlers, its very hard to beat the viking line of boats, the ocean kayak trident 15 is a killer ride, hobie revos,,,etc there are a ton of great boats made for paddling. If high end is what you like the all glass stealth line of kayaks.

Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: Clay34] #12882914 08/31/18 02:01 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
I have to agree with you on most of what you have said, Brad, as bad as I hate to admit it. smile Got really interested when I first heard about the startup of Bonafide as a kayak manufacturer. Was even more interested when several of the pro staff guys I have respect for, jumped ship to be with them. Was intrigued and somewhat impressed with the marketing of their initial offering. Not so much when I finally saw it in person. Seemed to be built a little flimsy for my taste buds. Anyway, this newest thing might paddle ok, might serve a purpose for some waters in some parts of the country, might be just what the market needed. It definitely doesn't fit my eyeballs. I'll watch from the sidelines and let the market place decide. I won't be taking Hoober's word that its a winner.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: Clay34] #12883004 08/31/18 03:10 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Brad R, I'm not one to put Luther on a pedestal as so many people have/do, but I do not believe his cachet is crashing that much over this prototype SINK. If he does bring it to market with some modifications and it just flops (and not sink like the G2 Raptor; figuratively & literally) then he'll be OK. I do commend him for providing free of charge (assumption) the patch kit for reinforcing the apparent weak spot/design issue where the seat rest is cracking. Most kayak manufacturers would be called out on all forums/social media for this, but you really have not seen much push back on Bonafide due to Luther's reputation.

I will add this, in the 15+ years of kayaking and following this industry I don't think I've ever seen a kayak so negatively received by kayakers as I have with the SI123. Actually, the only people I've seen pumped about it are those who are affiliated with Bonafide, and even then I've talked to some of them who have some skepticism about this new kayak as the rest of us.

I'm a paddler, and prefer efficiency over stability. Unfortunately, the market the past 5 or so years has emphasized stability over efficiency. Too many kayakers want to stand and fish, trick out their rigs with all types of electronics, and essentially couldn't care less about paddling. There are roughly 250 kayaks on market for kayaking anglers, and maybe 10% are what I would consider a paddler's kayak. I have not paddled any of the Bonafide offers mainly because they do not appeal to me as a paddler.

Last edited by Neumie; 08/31/18 03:21 PM.

Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: Clay34] #12883052 08/31/18 03:37 PM
P
pelageo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I like it-or at least the concept. I'm an old guy partial to rivers, creeks, anywhere I don't have to deal with people with motors. My WS Ride has been relegated to water with a ramp since it got to be so heavy some time after 60-so it hardly gets used any more-sometimes in protected lakes far from the City-any City. My SINK is only 9+' and it isn't as comfortable as it was before 60 but, it is still my choice for dragging up and down terraces at a svelte 40 lbs. And I've had the SINK on several multi-day trips before 60 and it served its function very well. If I were buying, I would buy something light, stable, and comfortable with a lot of capacity. And with age, I've got mad money for such things should I have a mad moment. Maybe I'm the niche mentioned above.

Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: Clay34] #12883081 08/31/18 03:57 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: The new Bonafide SI 123 [Re: lconn4] #12883144 08/31/18 04:44 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted By: lconn4

I dig the Old Town Loon/Dirigo and Evoke Navato 120 too, but it's hard to beat the Pungo.

Actually looking at the current market there's really only Evoke/Third Coast Navato/Arbor, Field & Stream Eagle Run, Jackson Kilroy, Old Town Dirigo/Loon/Vapor, and Wilderness System Pungo who are making higher end, 12 foot, sit inside kayak geared towards anglers; 7 models total. Maybe Luther's on to something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide