Print Thread
New to South Texas #12865542 08/15/18 11:16 PM
D
DonO Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Looks like I'll be spending this winter, Nov-April, in the Riviera area. I'm originally from Northern California but for the last 28 years I've lived in southeastern Idaho, trout country. I truly miss fishing for something that Really puts a bend in my rod.

I plan on fishing every opportunity I get in Texas. I'm bringing my inflatable kayak and hoping not to drowned myself in Baffin Bay. Which brings up my first question, inflatables in the bay. Research showed oyster bars, rocks and grass. It's a quality inflatable but is that area going to ruin it? Can a guy catch any fish in the winter months in Baffin without some kind of boat? I've fished for and caught Reds, Specks and Flounder while stationed in Virginia and South Carolina so hopefully I can catch a few if I can find some.

I'll be within a few miles of Riviera Beach, Laguna Salada, area 55 and Drum Point all of which seem to be popular areas. So here's question two: MUD! One entry I've read on this site stated a real fear of wandering into an area of mud and getting stuck. I'm 69 years old so just imaging that fighting my way out of a deep mud hole, well the mud would probably win. Is there any way to avoid the sticky stuff while wading? Now if your going to say "Don't go in the Water", I've already thought of that one. Can a guy assume that if you're near grass it's pretty safe? Are there any indicators that one part of the flats are mud and the other way is sand?

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I've seen some interesting videos on Utube about fishing jettys. Most of the videos don't give a date so wondering if Packery and South Padre jettys are productive in the winter months?

I'll finish by saying that if you see an old grey-haired guy out there, say Hi!

Re: New to South Texas [Re: DonO] #12865662 08/16/18 12:58 AM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I know nothing about that area but can tell you a few things about getting stuck in inshore mud. Never get out of your kayak! roflmao Always know what the tides are doing, have a plan B (full bug suit, head gear, deet, and thick gloves) for if you ever get stuck and can't paddle out. Water will eventually come back in and float you out.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: New to South Texas [Re: DonO] #12865848 08/16/18 03:30 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
welcome To the TFF!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: New to South Texas [Re: DonO] #12877429 08/26/18 10:59 PM
F
Fwt Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
"Winter" doesn't really start down here till late December. November is a great time to be here.

Baffin has a lot of mud-especially where you are talking about, but a lot of guys do wade them. There aren't oysters, but are "rocks" in places. An inflatable should be fine if you pick your days. If you've never seen Baffin-it's brown and when the wind picks up, nasty.

If you're planning on heading over to Packery and want to wade, go near the Bird Island boat ramp area (watch where you park) and wade there. Firm bottom and can be decent. Lot prettier (cleaner) water.

Yes, the jetties will have fish on them. Again, pick your days. Wind is normally a factor.

Re: New to South Texas [Re: Fwt] #12877858 08/27/18 02:07 PM
D
DonO Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Thanks for the advise Iconn. I'm used to freestone streams that wading is a joy. I've heard several horror stories about the mosquitos and the Mud. Would prefer to avoid both!

Fwt thanks for the pointer to Bird Island. Looks like there's two areas, the boat ramp lot and one further west. Nothing pisses a boater off more then to have a busy lot and cars parked in long spaces reserved for vehicles with trailers. I know I'm a boater too. As to the water, it looks really nice there. Looks like nice clean sand. Wish it was a little closer to Riviera Beach but my house has wheels and the CC area has lots of RV parks. Just might move over that way if Riviera doesn't work out.

One more observation/question. I'm a Google Earth addict when it comes to researching unfamiliar water and roads. I notice that the bottom near Bird Island is much lighter in color then most shorelines. Would evaluating the color of the bottom on GE, light being sandy & dark being more likely mud, prove true most of the time?

Thanks for the input. Only having a few months to figure so much water is frustrating. Having a few solid prospects certainly helps especially considering the weather factor.

Re: New to South Texas [Re: DonO] #12878465 08/27/18 10:43 PM
F
Fwt Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Yes, lighter is usually sand.

The barrier islands are usually better wading-mostly sand. A lot more mud on the mainland side, especially near river mouths. Safe travels.

Re: New to South Texas [Re: DonO] #12879647 08/28/18 10:17 PM
1Fisher77316 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
if you are staying in Rivera Beach talk to the locals there and they will clue you in on ok areas to wade. That end of Baffin Bay has a well deserved reputation for trophy trout. Read up on Baffin before trying an inflatable kayak there. Baffin has large, sharp rocks These are fossilized worm colonies. Note, I said sharp. I'm also in my late 60's and wade Baffin a few times a year. There's not as much mud danger as there is problems if you trip in the rocks and fall down. Talk to some of the locals when you get checked into the RV park. You will be in a fishing paradise.
Tight lines!

Re: New to South Texas [Re: 1Fisher77316] #12879844 08/29/18 01:26 AM
D
DonO Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Thanks 1Fisher! Encouragement is much appreciated. I'm hoping some of the Winter Texans in the park are fishermen/women and willing to at least point me in the right direction. Those sharp rocks have me worried about my inflatable. It's a good quality outfit but certainly vulnerable to sharp objects.

My wife thinks I should pick up a cheap used yak, use it all winter and then sell it before leaving or donate to a thrift store or something. Not a bad idea, but don't tell her I said so!

Tight Lines back at ya......

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide