Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: deep water bite [Re: JavelinJ] #12768341 05/24/18 08:06 PM
F
fwbassman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted By: txfour
So did I learn anything or totally miss the boat (pun intended).

The red circles would be where I would fish based on what I digested from the discussion above.

I have marked some of those same points on my graph. I have yet to try them out yet though. I'm trying to wean myself off the bank.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: deep water bite [Re: fwbassman] #12768357 05/24/18 08:19 PM
JavelinJ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: fwbassman

The red circles would be where I would fish based on what I digested from the discussion above.

I have marked some of those same points on my graph. I have yet to try them out yet though. I'm trying to wean myself off the bank.

I'm the same. I am a bank beater bad.

Re: deep water bite [Re: JavelinJ] #12768484 05/24/18 09:46 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru

You have the right idea about the spots that you have circled. These are massive areas in size. You want to take them a pieces at a time. I am seeing 4 structures here on the map. Each of them will require getting on the 20 ft. contour working in and out around all the irregular features that the contour has to offer. The man in the front of the boat is using search baits that can be thrown long distances to the top of the humps, worked down the slopes and across the protrusions stick out off the structure. He is specifically searching for feeding fish on the drops. The man in the back of the boat is dragging the Crig as the boat goes in and out around the irregular features. He is searching for fish that are staging to feed or returning to deep water. This two man approach saves lots of time and is a great way to develop a pattern within a reasonable length of time. Once that pattern is established then both fisherman can work that depth with different baits and hone in on exactly what they like best.

- the 3 circles at the top of the map are all 3 part of a large underwater island, huge hump or a fish hook point that comes off the North shoreline. I cannot tell exactly which it is. You will find the fish on the ends of the long piece of high ground, on any protrusion stick out off of it and in or on the sides of any gouges that the structure has to offer. When you zoom out just a bit on the Nav. Chart you will see the blackest lines all compacted in small areas around the structure. This is your steepest drop and possible ledge giving you the indication of where the Big Bass may live.

- The bottom left circle is across a ditch on a smaller point. The contours are very irregular with lots of definition for irregular features. Always set up to try to fish into the wind so you can go as slow as possible around the structure. I would start inside the small cove and work out and around this point turning finally into the SE Wind.

- The 2 islands on the right side of the map both have very steep slopes and ledges. Places like this are easily Side Scanned without disturbing the fish that may be there. The YELLOW island has much more definition around it with the protrusion coming off to the North and lots of gouges. The area to the South of it looks very interesting also. I would take another look at the two islands and ZOOM out a bit to get a better look at the contours. The area looks almost carved out by Man and heavy equipment.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: deep water bite [Re: hawkeye442] #12768508 05/24/18 10:06 PM
Mike Zachary Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

This is why I love this time of year. That's a 10xd.

Re: deep water bite [Re: hawkeye442] #12768572 05/24/18 11:04 PM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
2 at a time! Nice Mike Zachary

Re: deep water bite [Re: hawkeye442] #12768616 05/24/18 11:49 PM
Mike Zachary Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Nice one you caught James!!

Re: deep water bite [Re: Mike Zachary] #12768623 05/24/18 11:59 PM
JavelinJ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Mike Zachary

This is why I love this time of year. That's a 10xd.

Lucky!!!

Re: deep water bite [Re: hawkeye442] #12770611 05/26/18 10:47 PM
L
LeonSulak Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
When using electronics, do you look for bait first or bass? Will you fish a spot that shows bait but no bass in the picture?

Also, if you are catchig bass off a shallow point and the bite turns off, will you back off deeper at the same spot?

Last edited by LeonSulak; 05/26/18 10:53 PM.

Re: deep water bite [Re: CowboyVet] #12770630 05/26/18 11:08 PM
Wes H Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: CowboyVet
How do yall attack deep structure in a lake without a clean bottom, ie covered in that black mossy muck? I was very frustrated today as jigs, crankbaits, c-rig were all covered up. Drop shot is my only answer I just have difficulty catching anything over 1.5 pounds on drop shot. Thanks.

I feel like you are talking about LBJ based on where you live. But either way, try a Neko rig, it keeps you clean of that slime.

fish
Re: deep water bite [Re: hawkeye442] #12770662 05/26/18 11:57 PM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
On what CB to use, I LOVE the Poes P20. Silent running CB that is pretty unique for the 20 footers. It gets down to 20' on 10 and 12 lb test. Sorry I didn't reply quicker. You can throw the more common plastic baits 8XD and 10XD, but I like throwing something different than most people. NO, I do not have an affiliation with any CB manufactureers. Just what I believe in. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Last edited by Thad Rains; 05/27/18 01:20 AM.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Re: deep water bite [Re: LeonSulak] #12770673 05/27/18 12:07 AM
Big Kahuna Fishing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: LeonSulak
When using electronics, do you look for bait first or bass? Will you fish a spot that shows bait but no bass in the picture?

Also, if you are catchig bass off a shallow point and the bite turns off, will you back off deeper at the same spot?

I may be wrong, but I use my electronics differently. I run side and down imaging on my
console mounted graph, and I am mainly looking for structure. Road beds, creek channels, rock piles,
even submerged brush and trees. I then mark those with a way point.
If I see fish around any of those areas, then it's a plus and that's the areas I want to jump on first.

Living the American Dream in central Texas !
Re: deep water bite [Re: Big Kahuna Fishing] #12770693 05/27/18 12:35 AM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing
Originally Posted By: LeonSulak

I may be wrong, but I use my electronics differently. I run side and down imaging on my
console mounted graph, and I am mainly looking for structure. Road beds, creek channels, rock piles,
even submerged brush and trees. I then mark those with a way point.
If I see fish around any of those areas, then it's a plus and that's the areas I want to jump on first.

This is exactly what I use when I want to rest and do a little looking. I will add that I already have the spots mapped, marked and ready before I ever get on the water. You will catch more fish on a rod and reel than on a Depth Finder.

When the bite turns off up on the point which is usually when the wind stops blowing or there is no wind; then the answer is yes. I go a little deeper to 25 ft. to those fish that are not effected by the wind. I will still be dragging that contour out and around the same points that I was catching fish on earlier. Man up front is still casting long distance baits like a short 1/2 oz Crig toward shallow water while the Man in the back is dragging the contour. There is no doubt about it two depths fished from the same boat is better than one.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: deep water bite [Re: hawkeye442] #12771614 05/28/18 12:41 AM
C
Capt. Bryan Offline
Angler
Angler
C
One thing I notice at Sam Rayburn is once you stop getting bites on points and ledges in the 12-15 foot cast too depth I will sometimes actually be sitting over the fish in 20-22 feet. My last 2 trips I repositioned in 10-12 feet of water and casted out into 20-25 feet of water and brought the lure back up shallow and smoked them. Didn't have any monsters but lots of action. This has worked on Rayburn for years especially during mid day. I will usually ditch the crankbaits and throw a t-rig, c-rig or football jig when I do this. I like points that fall off into a creek or have a channel swing near it. It's a good pattern to run because usually within 10 minutes of pulling in you will know if they are there or not. If they are there you can catch 15-20 pretty quick. If they are not run along and try it again later in the day. All too often I think we try a spot and dont get bit so we give up on it for the rest of the day. Many times it's just a timing issue, hit it again later.

My dad told me stories of fishing with 2 brothers who guided on Rayburn in the 70's, they would hit one spot at daylight then had a milk run of others they would hit in a certain order. One time he asked why they didn't start off in the big fish hole they pulled into earlier and he said because the fish were not here this morning they dont show up until after 11:00. When your on the water enough you start picking up on times when certain spots or areas are better than others. Until then it's like school bus fishing, you stop here and pick up one, next stop pick up 1 or 2 etc. When you figure them out you build confidence and numbers start going up. Last Thursday I fished Rayburn and did a lot of searching and trying to figure out a pattern. It was slow for me then right before I left I hit a spot I researched on my navionics app that looked right. At 2:00 I caught 16 keepers in 20 casts on a creek channel bend that was covered in brushpiles in 23 feet of water. Passed by that spot 100 times and never paid it any attention to it before.

Skeeter FXR 21
Yamaha
Humminbird/Garmin
Lews
Re: deep water bite [Re: hawkeye442] #12771820 05/28/18 04:37 AM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Excellent job Capt. Bryan. Thanks for the post and sharing your information with us.

I was in a tournament and not doing very well; so at about 10:00 we headed to a shoreline bluff that the river channel slammed against. As we worked down the wall hitting all the cracks and protrusions, we noticed a young man wade fishing on the last section of the bluff. It was on the point and the Razorback ran out into the lake from there. He was casting out and fishing up hill. He was catching one big Bass after the other. I had 3 other spots on Lake Amistad just like the one he was using. Pulled up on each of them spending about an hour with the nose of the boat on the bank and both of use casting off the back. We had no trouble weighing in 25 lbs. in 3 hours of fishing.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: deep water bite [Re: Donald Harper] #12772416 05/28/18 11:40 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
My goal has always been to study maps and learn to recognize the coves, creeks, flats, and structure that is required to find bigger Bass. Once you learn this you will have no trouble following them to their comfort zones as mentioned below.

In most reservoirs, bass reside on ledges and drop-offs adjacent to shallow-water feeding grounds. They travel along these areas in search of food. On the deep side of the ledge or drop-off, bass experience comfortable temperatures and better oxygen levels. The depth provides shelter while the shallow side provides food sources such as Minnows, Bluegill, and Crayfish. To determine where to start your search, look for ledges and drop-offs with a significant edge. The faster the drop from shallow feeding grounds to deep water, the more comfortable a bass feels in its environment.

Keep your boat in the 20 depth range following the contours that you have studied before your trip. For safety and to preclude outside disturbance, bass will always move back to positions near deeper water when not actively pursuing food. The depth range that I have found to be most productive is between eight and 15 feet. Therefore, the most potentially productive ledges will be within that range. I think isolated cover is always the deal. It doesn't matter whether you're fishing deep or shallow, wood or grass, clear or dirty water; bass are going to be holding around isolated cover. Use baits that will search for these pieces of cover along that route to the shallows. You must select the ones that can be cast long distances from the 20 ft. contour to the Irregular Features that the Bass will be using toward the shallows.

Cover consists of weeds, brush, grass or timber, and is used for ambush. It is not used for his protection. Bass will develop a route from there comfort zone moving from one piece of cover to another until they have fed up then return. Sometime they have to continue along this route all the way to the shoreline. Structure is for resting, comfort, security and for feeding just outside of the cover. The best of two worlds is finding a piece of structure as shallow as possible with cover on it.

A productive structure feature is one which provides ready availability of food or serves as a reference point during periods of inactivity. In most cases, the bigger bass will be found on the best piece of structure that has cover and baitfish. When a bass experiences fear or senses danger, his instinctive reaction is to dash for deep water.

Unless actively feeding, a bass will always hold near the edge of the drop into deep water. Of all available structure features, ledges and drops are the most common AND the most continuously productive. A drop is a contour change resulting in deeper water and has a downwards angler of decent of 30 degrees, or more. Any change less than 30 degrees is considered a slope and will not be as productive.

A ledge is the upper lip, or edge, of a drop. While ledges and drops usually exist throughout a body of water, those associated with submerged channels and the deepest water in the area are always more consistently productive. Ledges are a strange beastsometimes you can fish a mile without any bites, then find several quality schools of bass in the next mile.

The quickest way to locate good ledges and drops is to consult a well-defined topographical map. Start your map analysis near river and feeder creek channels and look for strong bottom irregularities and rapid contour (depth) changes. Key in on those that fall within the 8-15 foot range. You will survey the general area for indications of cover close by as you fish these spots. The final step becomes to prioritize the list. To do this, I select the locations with the sharpest drop-off and deepest adjacent water and number them. Then they are rated using about 25 different factors that make a spot the best it can be. You now have a plan of attack which has been thought out in a logical manner. It is OK to use your instincts. I find a lot more fish with a rod and reel than I do with a depth finder.

I took a look at this screen shot and this is what I see. Before the lake was impounded farmers would dredge the river channel especially near the bends to open up the river and make it deeper. This kept some of the crops from flooding. The area to the NW is that kind of spot. I am seeing piles of rubble all in a row and those are man made deposits on somewhat higher ground. It makes for good fish if the contours toward deep water are excellent.

I am outlining the 22 ft. contour to get a better feel for how it lays. The best high spots are then RED Circled. This is an easy spot to side scan before fishing. Many spots that I pick on some lakes can not be scanned for fear of spooking the fish. Open water ares like this can be scanned; just keep the boat in 20 ft. or more to do so and only make one pass. 9 times out of 10 I am going to see a couple of fish then turn around and fish it. So with that being said just fish it to begin with. If they are going to bite it will happen pretty quick.

This is how I do it: Man in front of the boat cast to specific shallower water spots that will be marked with the RED Xs and RED Circles. Major protrusions will be Circled. The man in the back will drag a Crig as you will be keeping your boat on the deep water contour out and around each of these irregular features in 15 to 20 ft. of water. My baits of choice for casting a Trig or weightless bait to the shallows are: 7 Power Worm in Pumpkin Seed to the bushes, Senkos, Grande Fat Baby Ring Fry and Flukes to the rocks. Crig bait is the Baby Brush Hog and Grande Ring Fry in Watermelon Red.

The contours outside the row of rubble HUMPS are not super contours. They are wide and basically flat for long distances. The humps are all you have and there is nothing to bring fish to those humps. It takes super contours to deliver the fish. Side Scan to see them then fish for them. I have set up 3 controlled drifts with the SE wind only using the TM to stay on the RED Lines. You are drifting across the top of the humps and on the sides of some. Two long drifts going NW should do it. The short line drift is across the top of the 3 humps that are not in line with the others. Some humps range in an elevation rise of 7 ft.. others only 3 foot rise. Just dont see much here to make fish feel at home and safe. The river channel is off the SE end of the formation; but the river at this section of the lake does not have river channel definition. It is just a wide depression which is narrow in some spots and wide in others.

Now the Shoreline RED Spray line is a different story. I have BLACK Lined the ditch that cuts through the Rubble field. On each side is a FUNNEL POINT marked in WHITE Circles. This is where your fish will be. Put the boat on Contour at 20 to 22 ft. and follow that line making cast to all the RED Circles. Slow way down when you get to the Funnel points.

Damn..... thumb

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide