Forums59
Topics1,039,283
Posts13,962,264
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: Ken A.] #12718906 04/16/18 07:58 PM
C
Chris G Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: Chris G
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Good Info Ken.

I bought a new Onix inflatable last week. It clearly states on the tag on the jacket that it must be worn to be counted as a life jacket while in the boat.

In other words, if the GW comes up and asks to see a PFD for every person in the boat. it will NOT count as one unless you have it on.

What Coast Guard Type rating does it have Ken? I specifically had this conversation with a game warden several months ago and confirmed as long as the inflatable if Type 2 or 3, its legal.

This is what is says Chris:

Our lightweight, low-profile Bass Pro Shops Auto/Manual Inflatable Life Vest provides comfort, safety, and peace of mind. Auto-inflates when immersed or when back-up handle is pulled; can be converted to manual-only inflation. 200 denier nylon ripstop fabric resists tears and punctures, and a soft neoprene neckline provides all-day comfort. Fits adults over 80 lbs. with 30'' to 52" chest. USCG-approved Type V with Type III performance. Be SAFE and be LEGAL by wearing a PFD at all times.

So it's a Type V...so it requires being worn to count. Like I said, I've had vert detailed conversations about this and the rule is simple...as long as it's a Type II or III it counts without being warned and YES I know some Wardens probably aren't aware of it and try and in most cases probably do write tickets for it. Like others, I also keep extra normal PFDs in the boat as well but this is the law.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: KenTx1962] #12718915 04/16/18 08:08 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I wear my regular jacket and kill switch when I run the big motor but I take it off when I fish. I am getting an inflatable and going to make myself get used to wearing it all the time. I fish by myself a lot and I love my family!

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: KenTx1962] #12718919 04/16/18 08:11 PM
T 4 FISH Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I asked the Gamewarden about this years ago when I first started hearing rumors. He said just get one of those cheap orange ones and put it back by your battery and youll be fine. Ive had 2 back there with a throw cushion ever since.

Terrell Tx
Paradise, Fork
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: KenTx1962] #12719001 04/16/18 09:18 PM
G
GMTK Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
G
Can anyone point me to the actual law on this? (not the TPWD website). Because I can't find anything in the TPWD code or the USCG site.

Sec. 31.066. LIFE PRESERVING DEVICES. (a) A motorboat, including a motorboat carrying passengers for hire, must carry at least one wearable personal flotation device of the sort prescribed by the regulations of the commandant of the Coast Guard for each person on board, so placed as to be readily accessible.

(b) The operator of a motorboat less than 26 feet in length, while underway, shall require every passenger under 13 years of age to wear a wearable personal flotation device of the sort prescribed by the regulations of the commandant of the Coast Guard. A life belt or ring buoy does not satisfy this requirement.

(c) A person may not operate a recreational vessel 16 feet or more in length unless the vessel is equipped with:

(1) the number of wearable personal flotation devices required under Subsection (a); and

(2) additionally, at least one immediately accessible Type IV throwable flotation device of the sort prescribed by the regulations of the commandant of the Coast Guard.

(d) A person under 13 years of age on board a vessel described by Section 31.073(a) or (b) must wear a wearable personal flotation device of the sort prescribed by the commandant of the Coast Guard while the vessel is under way.

(e) An adult operator of a vessel described by Section 31.073 may not permit a person under 13 years of age to be on board the vessel while the vessel is under way if the person under 13 years of age is not wearing a wearable personal flotation device required by Subsection (d).

Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 1405, ch. 545, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1975. Amended by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 543, Sec. 2, eff. June 14, 1989.

Amended by:

Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1127 (H.B. 308), Sec. 2, eff. June 17, 2011.

Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: KenTx1962] #12719048 04/16/18 09:54 PM
S
skeeter james Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I know a guy that fishes by himself in La, and got a ticket for not having a throw cushion in his boat. He told the game wardens if I fall out who is gonna throw it to me??? Didnt matter, $300 ticket.

Formerly known as progator james
2013 Skeeter FX21 with a 250 SHO... Love this boat!!

James Moore
214-458-8024
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: KenTx1962] #12719098 04/16/18 10:31 PM
C.Seymour Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Since I control wind farms I couldn't help but comment on the 'redneck' math in the beginning. It was a solid attempt at figuring the speed at blade tip. However, too many factors are involved in trying to find actual tip speed. They can range from 120 - 180 mph at tip depending on the wind speed and how well the turbine is actually yawed into the wind stream.

Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: Shallow Waters] #12719138 04/16/18 11:08 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters
According to TPWD website - https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/safety/vessel_requirements/

"Inflatable PFDs are authorized only when used in accordance with requirements as presented on U.S. Coast Guard approval labels. Inflatable PFDs are not approved for use on personal watercraft, waterskiing, or other high speed activity."

So as long as your inflatable is a Type II or III you do not have to wear it all times. Make sure you keep your tags on your vests that show the rating though.

The last line of the paragraph is what eliminates ALL inflatable PFDs from being stand alone legs. A power boat of any kind operates at high speeds.
They are perfectly legal as as a stand alone PfD in a kayak, canoe or manually powered boat.
Also all of the posts on here arguing that the law doesnt say that can argue with a game warden all they want to and when you do I can assure you that a ticket will be given. If you play dumb and say you will make sure you have a pfd next time you might get a warning. So argue all you want but save it for the judge. You wont win but you can feel smarter.

Last edited by 9094; 04/16/18 11:11 PM.
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: 9094] #12719173 04/16/18 11:34 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: 9094
According to TPWD website - https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/safety/vessel_requirements/

"Inflatable PFDs are authorized only when used in accordance with requirements as presented on U.S. Coast Guard approval labels. Inflatable PFDs are not approved for use on personal watercraft, waterskiing, or other high speed activity."

So as long as your inflatable is a Type II or III you do not have to wear it all times. Make sure you keep your tags on your vests that show the rating though.

The last line of the paragraph is what eliminates ALL inflatable PFDs from being stand alone legs. A power boat of any kind operates at high speeds.
They are perfectly legal as as a stand alone PfD in a kayak, canoe or manually powered boat.
Also all of the posts on here arguing that the law doesnt say that can argue with a game warden all they want to and when you do I can assure you that a ticket will be given. If you play dumb and say you will make sure you have a pfd next time you might get a warning. So argue all you want but save it for the judge. You wont win but you can feel smarter.

Yes, but sitting in a boat fishing is not a high speed activity (for most of us anyways). No one was saying to argue with the game warden, I was just educating the topic because you certainly can argue TO the judge and prove you were within the law. But hey, if you prefer to take the ticket and pay the fine (because the video stated they weren't giving warnings), then the community can thank you for your donation.

Last edited by Shallow Waters; 04/16/18 11:35 PM.
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: Shallow Waters] #12719251 04/17/18 12:09 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Yes, but sitting in a boat fishing is not a high speed activity (for most of us anyways). No one was saying to argue with the game warden, I was just educating the topic because you certainly can argue TO the judge and prove you were within the law. But hey, if you prefer to take the ticket and pay the fine (because the video stated they weren't giving warnings), then the community can thank you for your donation.

Really you are sitting in a boat with a 250 HP motor on it and you think that because you arent running the big motor the warden shouldnt give you a ticket. Come on out and Ill let the warden know your coming so you can argue with the judge. We can see how that will turn out. Some of you arm chair lawyers should give it a try maybe after the judge tells you to pay your fine and get within the law you can sue the state and TPWD to prove your right. Heck take it to the Supreme Court.
Or just buy a life vest and keep it in a storage locker.

Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: KenTx1962] #12719276 04/17/18 12:27 AM
S
sprigsss Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
Got checked on Amistad last year. I was Fishing by myself and had my auto inflate on ice chest right by an open beer.

As soon as they pulled up I handed them my license, they commented I see your life vest right there, good luck.

If it were illegal as you say to have in a boat with a 250 hp motor, certainly they would have asked for another PFD.

I was stopped at least 3 other times while underway. Each time I had my auto inflate on and was never asked for another PFD.

I will take my case to the judge everytime.

Last edited by sprigsss; 04/17/18 12:28 AM.
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: KenTx1962] #12719291 04/17/18 12:35 AM
S
Squirrely Dan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
The math on turbine wing speed is wrong. I work as an overnight janitor at a local college. Sometime when Im bored Ill go solve the mathematical equations on a board in the hallway that no one else has been able to solve.

Fully sponsored by my mom
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: Squirrely Dan] #12719307 04/17/18 12:48 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Im RICK JAMES
The math on turbine wing speed is wrong. I work as an overnight janitor at a local college. Sometime when Im bored Ill go solve the mathematical equations on a board in the hallway that no one else has been able to solve.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: 9094] #12719312 04/17/18 12:54 AM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S

Really you are sitting in a boat with a 250 HP motor on it and you think that because you arent running the big motor the warden shouldnt give you a ticket. Come on out and Ill let the warden know your coming so you can argue with the judge. We can see how that will turn out. Some of you arm chair lawyers should give it a try maybe after the judge tells you to pay your fine and get within the law you can sue the state and TPWD to prove your right. Heck take it to the Supreme Court.
Or just buy a life vest and keep it in a storage locker.

I can sit in a car without my seat belt on too. I have no idea why you are so angry, but tickets get disputed all the time, especially when the ticketing officer is wrong. It's nothing against the game warden, I have great respect for them and their jobs, but they would be wrong according to the law if they give you a ticket with a type II inflatable.

Last edited by Shallow Waters; 04/17/18 02:32 AM.
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: KenTx1962] #12719314 04/17/18 12:56 AM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
A lot of game wardens get this wrong. It has to be worn at all times if it is a Type V. Some are, some aren't. It's easiest just to carry a spare.

Last edited by Fishspanker; 04/17/18 12:57 AM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: McDonald's BB Warning....actually for all Texas Lakes [Re: KenTx1962] #12719376 04/17/18 01:40 AM
KenTx1962 Offline OP
Old Careful Dude
OP Offline
Old Careful Dude
Wow...great info guys. I wear a non-inflatable style. Too many stories about inflatables not working. Sounds like you better know what you have, and hope the warden understands the law.

www.KenSmithfishing.com
Fishing Videos https://bit.ly/3ip0TPz
10% off 6th Sense 6thsensefishing.com/ &
www.WaterLandco.com with code Ken10
Support my channel shopping Tackle Warehouse with this link http://bit.ly/2S4dFY6
Mercury Marine Pro Staff
Seaguar Line http://bit.ly/38QpBDm

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide