T
Trickster Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
T
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Originally Posted By: BMCD
Getting cut off has many meanings as I have learned.

thumb
Yep...I was cut off about 10 years ago.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: z20rider] #12680562 03/20/18 01:30 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I got a feeling it's just like anything else. You have a bunch of parents just wanting their kid to win so they try and find the best captains. I know this happens. Anytime money is involved...

Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: z20rider] #12680596 03/20/18 01:52 AM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Somehow even with 3 months planning and the interweb I didnt even know the SETX HS was gonna happen last Sat. We were there Thurs-Sun afternoon and fished all the mid lake creeks both sides and East all the way up to San Augustine park (a bit murky up there). Caught fish everywhere but mostly small which was a little dissappinting but the weather and scenery fantastic. There was definitely a crowd Sat with both the HS tourney and lots of non-tourney boats - I can tell that on Sat I did not have one single unpleasant encounter or anybody cut us off or any other goofy behavior around me and still found plenty of areas to fish without a crowd even Sat. I did roll through the general TwinD, Umphrey, Mill Creek area trailering to another ramp around 3:00 Sat and it was quite a spectacle with all those trying to get to weigh in and load / unload boats around the weigh in area. Did seem like the size of the whole thing may detract from the fun I get out of fishing but perhaps the big crowd IS the fun for others. So my congrats to everyone including the kids and the Captains out there. cool

Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12680613 03/20/18 02:06 AM
J
junk baits Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
I got a feeling it's just like anything else. You have a bunch of parents just wanting their kid to win so they try and find the best captains. I know this happens. Anytime money is involved...

^^^^^^^
THIS 100%

GO FISH!
Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: Clint W.] #12680630 03/20/18 02:16 AM
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: GetTheNet69
Getting your boat ready in front of the ramp, tying up the courtesy dock when launching your boat by yourself (instead of floating it) and tying up the ramp, someone fishing in a 'boat lane', staying on plane when passing someone fishing in a 'boat lane', coming off plane and generating wake while someone fishes in a 'boat lane', someone 'hole jumped' me, someone cut me off, someone pot licked me, someone kept a bass to eat, someone drove his boat too fast, someone drove his boat too slow, someone cut me off, high school kids are inexperienced and do ALL of the above, captains are rude, discourteous and shouldn't be allowed to fish, tying up the courtesy dock while loading your boat, leaving headlights on at the ramp. All I read is boohoohoohoo boohoohoohoo, sob, sob. You suffered 45 seconds of inconvenience today while fishing and spent 45 minutes on social media griping about it when you got home. I'm on my fourth and final year captaining for my son and his partner and it has been a great experience for me and him. I've been tournament fishing for 25 years and have yet to be so inconvenienced that I felt the need to post it on social media. The only way they are going to learn is if they get out there and do it.

They really haven't ever bothered me but you can tell when they are fishing with someone that knows the ins and outs of tournament mornings or just what tournament fishing really is. The fact is a LOT of these captains are just as experienced as the team they are being a captain for. That's why I'm all for school qualifiers that lets everybody fish, then cuts down on numbers for the big tournies.

Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: z20rider] #12680652 03/20/18 02:30 AM
A
Alex K. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
I was on Ray Roberts weekend before last when they had a big HS tourney out there. Every boat that I met on the water was courteous and pleasant to talk to. Anytime you get 200+ boats on the water you're going to have a few bad apples.

Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: Barrett] #12680682 03/20/18 03:02 AM
P
PowPowOl'Son Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Barrett
On a side note i look forward to the day (squaw creek or any lake for that matter) when someone bitches at me for not floating my boat off the ramp. You can wait your turn and Ill park my boat right in your way until im ready.

And I look forward to the day I do find your boat parked in the way for an extended period of time so I can unload on your [censored].

Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: z20rider] #12680759 03/20/18 04:32 AM
C
Catching Air Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Let start by saying that SETX is entirely to big. Also for the record there was actually more boats at the first tournament back in January. This is our first year fishing these high school tournaments. I fished tournament all over Texas back before I had a family so Im not new to tournament. So far in the first tournament I had a captain come past me less than 15 feet wide open before daylight just out of the no wake zone. Second tournament fishing up in a creek this is about 100 yards wide that had about 15 boats fishing all with no problems guy comes in at 40 mph runs to back turns around and runs out wfo. Tournament 3 on Toledo was running boat lane bad visibility rain storm watched a skeeter come by at safe distance when another skeeterjumped on plain in boat lane both boats about 100 in front of me when 1 skeeter almost ran over the back of the other. It was close enough that my kid start hollering they crashed. I captained for a couple kids in thsba Houston division and never did I experience what I have with SETX. When your school only fishes a certain division or tournament trail with the rules that are currently in place it is hard to make a change (no options). I will say that if they dont change the boat counts and crack down on the stupidity its not if a accident happens its gonna be when and how bad. I like everyone else do not want that cause it may push back all the positives that have came from getting a lot of kids fishing that may have never even had the opportunity to compete in this sport. I have read earlier post about qualifying to go fish the big tournaments. I really dont think that is answer cause I think you would then be discouraging a lot of teams just starting to fish. I think they should break the schools down into divisions with about 200 per division. Then send the top 20% to the championship then however many from there to state. That is my 2 cents. Good luck and God bless.

Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: Clint W.] #12681053 03/20/18 02:05 PM
RedBarn Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Getting your boat ready in front of the ramp, tying up the courtesy dock when launching your boat by yourself (instead of floating it) and tying up the ramp, someone fishing in a 'boat lane', staying on plane when passing someone fishing in a 'boat lane', coming off plane and generating wake while someone fishes in a 'boat lane', someone 'hole jumped' me, someone cut me off, someone pot licked me, someone kept a bass to eat, someone drove his boat too fast, someone drove his boat too slow, someone cut me off, high school kids are inexperienced and do ALL of the above, captains are rude, discourteous and shouldn't be allowed to fish, tying up the courtesy dock while loading your boat, leaving headlights on at the ramp. All I read is boohoohoohoo boohoohoohoo, sob, sob. You suffered 45 seconds of inconvenience today while fishing and spent 45 minutes on social media griping about it when you got home. I'm on my fourth and final year captaining for my son and his partner and it has been a great experience for me and him. I've been tournament fishing for 25 years and have yet to be so inconvenienced that I felt the need to post it on social media. The only way they are going to learn is if they get out there and do it.

Best post I've read in a LONG time!!!!........what needs to happen is all the guys raising hell need to get off their [censored] and volunteer as a captain and show the kids how it should be done!!!

Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: RedBarn] #12681115 03/20/18 02:39 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: RedBarn

Best post I've read in a LONG time!!!!........what needs to happen is all the guys raising hell need to get off their [censored] and volunteer as a captain and show the kids how it should be done!!!

Agreed. Awesome Post. If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem!! I think what SETX does is absolutely phenomenal when you consider what they are dealing with.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: z20rider] #12681142 03/20/18 03:37 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
We need to build more lakes. Big ones.

Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: Catching Air] #12681195 03/20/18 04:07 PM
P
PowPowOl'Son Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Catching Air
Let start by saying that SETX is entirely to big. Also for the record there was actually more boats at the first tournament back in January. This is our first year fishing these high school tournaments. I fished tournament all over Texas back before I had a family so Im not new to tournament. So far in the first tournament I had a captain come past me less than 15 feet wide open before daylight just out of the no wake zone. Second tournament fishing up in a creek this is about 100 yards wide that had about 15 boats fishing all with no problems guy comes in at 40 mph runs to back turns around and runs out wfo. Tournament 3 on Toledo was running boat lane bad visibility rain storm watched a skeeter come by at safe distance when another skeeterjumped on plain in boat lane both boats about 100 in front of me when 1 skeeter almost ran over the back of the other. It was close enough that my kid start hollering they crashed. I captained for a couple kids in thsba Houston division and never did I experience what I have with SETX. When your school only fishes a certain division or tournament trail with the rules that are currently in place it is hard to make a change (no options). I will say that if they dont change the boat counts and crack down on the stupidity its not if a accident happens its gonna be when and how bad. I like everyone else do not want that cause it may push back all the positives that have came from getting a lot of kids fishing that may have never even had the opportunity to compete in this sport. I have read earlier post about qualifying to go fish the big tournaments. I really dont think that is answer cause I think you would then be discouraging a lot of teams just starting to fish. I think they should break the schools down into divisions with about 200 per division. Then send the top 20% to the championship then however many from there to state. That is my 2 cents. Good luck and God bless.

Something doesnt add up.

He was just out of a no wake zone but running wide open?

Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #12681203 03/20/18 04:12 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Something doesnt add up.

You would make a good lawyer. Nice catch there.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: GeoFisher] #12681219 03/20/18 04:21 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: GeoFisher
Originally Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Something doesnt add up.

You would make a good lawyer. Nice catch there.

Getting on plane (holeshot) realistically is wide open throttle, I guess.

Re: High Schoolers on Rayburn [Re: z20rider] #12681390 03/20/18 06:10 PM
Creekhead Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I wonder if you asked 10 different tournament anglers how they would define the term "cut off". My bet is there would not be 10 identical answers?

Might be a good idea if someone on this thread that has some time collect all of the good inputs and sent them to the various High School Tournament organizations. I am sure they could post the information on "etiquette" somewhere on their sites for boat captains to review. I am sure there are many first time captains out there that would like to review that info along with the safety guidance.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide