Page 181 of 400 1 2 179 180 181 182 183 399 400
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #12635920 02/19/18 09:27 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Alan (TXfisherman12), Jacob and I went to Newman's bottom this morning. We filled up a stringer of just the bigger fish, 13 to 16 inches for Jacob to take home. Then Jacob had to leave so Alan and I decided to do some exploring. We started fishing every place we could get down on the bank.

That is when Alan put on an absolute clinic. The first hole I caught 4 and he caught 15, then next hole I caught 1 and he caught 9, the next hole I caught 4 and he caught 11. This continued almost all the way down the creek. It wasn't until the last 2 holes that I caught 2 more fish than him. So since I out fished him when the fishing got the toughest that makes me the better fisherman, doesn't it? roflmao roflmao roflmao

I ended up catching 30, but no lie, Alan ended up catching around 70 fish.

I donated lots of flies to the Yegua monster today, but it was great fun fishing with 2 outstanding anglers.

PS: Don't ask me what type of lure Alan was using. I've been sworn to secrecy. grin

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #12636212 02/19/18 11:33 PM
T
T-rey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: J-Moe
Originally Posted By: T-rey
Left overlook Marina yesterday looking at the new black crappie lake record, 3lbs., caught at birch creek.

Wow, it was broke twice last year and twice this year. Both times in January and February. Great stuff. Thanks for the information.

To add to that, the crappie bite at marina is off and on, great 1 day, crappie the next (pun intended).
Friday and Sunday bite was VERY slow, Saturday it was on.
Electric chicken jigs were the best ticket.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #12636340 02/20/18 12:43 AM
T
TXfisherman12 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Alan (TXfisherman12), Jacob and I went to Newman's bottom this morning. We filled up a stringer of just the bigger fish, 13 to 16 inches for Jacob to take home. Then Jacob had to leave so Alan and I decided to do some exploring. We started fishing every place we could get down on the bank.

That is when Alan put on an absolute clinic. The first hole I caught 4 and he caught 15, then next hole I caught 1 and he caught 9, the next hole I caught 4 and he caught 11. This continued almost all the way down the creek. It wasn't until the last 2 holes that I caught 2 more fish than him. So since I out fished him when the fishing got the toughest that makes me the better fisherman, doesn't it? roflmao roflmao roflmao

I donated lots of flies to the Yegua monster today, but it was great fun fishing with 2 outstanding anglers.

PS: Don't ask me what type of lure Alan was using. I've been sworn to secrecy. grin

J-moe thanks for putting me on the fish! I had a great time fishing with Jacob and you. I dont know if I will ever have a day like today again but hopefully so. One of my favorite catches today was hooking up a white bass while a tree on the opposite bank was falling down. The wind sure picked up today but thankfully the bite was still on.

It was a different world when we were boys and girls....
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: TXfisherman12] #12636921 02/20/18 12:13 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
J-moe thanks for putting me on the fish! I had a great time fishing with Jacob and you. I dont know if I will ever have a day like today again but hopefully so. One of my favorite catches today was hooking up a white bass while a tree on the opposite bank was falling down. The wind sure picked up today but thankfully the bite was still on.

[/quote]

We will do it a again soon. I'm still amazed at how well that one lure worked so much better than any other lure or fly we used. The fact that you got hung far less than me also gives me an insight into the presentation. Great job again!!!

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: T-rey] #12636923 02/20/18 12:15 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Left overlook Marina yesterday looking at the new black crappie lake record, 3lbs., caught at birch creek.

Wow, it was broke twice last year and twice this year. Both times in January and February. Great stuff. Thanks for the information.

To add to that, the crappie bite at marina is off and on, great 1 day, crappie the next (pun intended).

What do you call a great day there? Are you catching limits?

Any big crappie being caught there? I just never seem to have very good luck there.

Last edited by J-Moe; 02/20/18 12:16 PM.
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #12637136 02/20/18 02:55 PM
J
jsinn01 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Alan/J-moe, congrats on the amazing day of fishing! Those are the kind of days that keep you coming back. grin

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: jsinn01] #12637202 02/20/18 03:31 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: jsinn01
Alan/J-moe, congrats on the amazing day of fishing! Those are the kind of days that keep you coming back. grin

Thanks Jared. Alan had one of those days like you had last year when you caught over 50. It's about time you get back down here. I'm not sure how much rain we will get or how long it will take the creeks to recover but I'll do my best to keep you informed. Last year, after a heavy rain, the fish ran up Nails creek and we had about 3 days of awesome fishing in it. Including catching a bunch of crappie near the 125 bridge. We may even get lucky enough for a bunch of them to run up into Cedar. I sure am missing fishing Cedar creek this year.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #12637565 02/20/18 06:32 PM
J
jsinn01 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
You're definitely right about me needing to get back down there. I actually spent yesterday with my father-in-law catching black bass on Lake Travis. It was fun, but there's nothing quite like catching spawning whites in the creek.

Looks like the rain might put a damper on things in the short term, but March is shaping up to be a really good month. Keep catching em'. wink

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #12637813 02/20/18 08:48 PM
E
EllerTroy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
It maybe about time to check on Colorado Bend soon. They already got some rain this week and will be getting more. That's where I caught my first white bass when I was young. It would be a great place for the fly rod wading the Colorado River.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: EllerTroy] #12637835 02/20/18 09:02 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: EllerTroy
It maybe about time to check on Colorado Bend soon. They already got some rain this week and will be getting more. That's where I caught my first white bass when I was young. It would be a great place for the fly rod wading the Colorado River.

Had to google it and check it out. Looks like a fantastic place. 3 hours and 15 minutes from my house though frown

I sure hope to fish the San Gabriel with someone this year too. I heard it was a great place to fly fish as well.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #12637853 02/20/18 09:10 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: BIG SHINER
Tried a couple spots yesterday. Caught a few black bass in Jerdelle. Stopped by Cedar and Nails and no luck. Also no flow. Stopped by Irwins and fished a while. J-Moe, saw you with the fly rod. Caught a few black bass, one decent sized. My friend caught the only white bass on a small rattle trap. Didn't see much else caught besides bream and small catfish. J-moe, if you want to paddle up to the dam give me a shout. I will bring my canoe and we can give it a try.

They shut the flow back down below the spillway so it probably isn't worth the paddle now. Thanks for the offer though.

The lake is rising again Big Shiner. I bet they will open the spillway back up again. If they do and the creeks become a muddy mess I might decide to paddle up there. I'll let you know if I decide to do so.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #12638202 02/21/18 12:25 AM
T
T-rey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T

What do you call a great day there? Are you catching limits?

Any big crappie being caught there? I just never seem to have very good luck there.

There were a few that were close to limits. As for me, landing 12 was a great day for me in a morning. 3 were 14" and 4 were 13" to 13-1/2". The rest were in the 11"-12" area.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #12638256 02/21/18 12:47 AM
S
stinkbob Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
My buddy and I hit up Newman's Bottom yesterday. I got 21 gigantic whites, and he get 15. They were hitting clousers, slow and on the bottom, with a short tug every 2 seconds. I've had stringers of 25 weigh in much less than the 21 I caught yesterday, all within 150 yrds of the trailway bridge. Got there at 8:30 and left about 2.

I would love to yak into the creek. Those white bass are HUGE right now and would enjoy getting some crappie.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: stinkbob] #12638312 02/21/18 01:24 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: stinkbob
My buddy and I hit up Newman's Bottom yesterday. I got 21 gigantic whites, and he get 15. They were hitting clousers, slow and on the bottom, with a short tug every 2 seconds. I've had stringers of 25 weigh in much less than the 21 I caught yesterday, all within 150 yrds of the trailway bridge. Got there at 8:30 and left about 2.

I would love to yak into the creek. Those white bass are HUGE right now and would enjoy getting some crappie.

Great stuff!!!! Hope you had something to carry them out. Carrying a 30 lb. stringer a half a mile has got to be tough. I wouldn't even try it, LOL!!!

I sure wish we could drive into Newman's bottom with the kayaks like we used to. I just hate that long paddle from Nails creek boat ramp.

Last edited by J-Moe; 02/21/18 08:22 PM.
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: T-rey] #12638322 02/21/18 01:26 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
[quote=T-rey]Left overlook Marina yesterday looking at the new black crappie lake record, 3lbs., caught at birch creek.

There were a few that were close to limits. As for me, landing 12 was a great day for me in a morning. 3 were 14" and 4 were 13" to 13-1/2". The rest were in the 11"-12" area.

Thanks for the information.

Page 181 of 400 1 2 179 180 181 182 183 399 400
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide