Re: Co angler etiquette [Re: Flooringit] #12623954 02/12/18 07:50 PM
Texjef84 Offline
Angler
Angler
Lucky Al has it right.

Grapevine Fishing Team
Bass Cat Boats
OU Fishing
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Co angler etiquette [Re: Flooringit] #12623955 02/12/18 07:51 PM
Texjef84 Offline
Angler
Angler
Lucky Al has it right.

Grapevine Fishing Team
Bass Cat Boats
OU Fishing
Re: Co angler etiquette [Re: kellisag] #12623961 02/12/18 07:55 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: kellisag
Here is a good example of something you should NOT do as a CO. If I was the boater I would be pissed if all of that was in my way when I went to put a fish in the livewell. This is a screenshot from a Co who posted a video on youtube of a day as a CO in the BFL Cowboy division.

I've seen worse. Way worse.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Co angler etiquette [Re: Flooringit] #12623993 02/12/18 08:13 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have fished both sides and will be on Rayburn as a Boater. I look at is as a common courtesy to offer money for gas. My regular team partner and I split expenses so I figure it should be the same. SOME guys look at it as a GUIDE trip. And running a boat is not cheap. We don't expect the CoAngler to pay for the trip but splitting the gas is typical. (Don't insult the boater with $5.) Don't GPS the Boater Spots. Some guys only want to fish as a CoAngler to find the spots the boaters are fishing. (That's bad form!)
As a Boater we expect the CoAngler to bring:
His own Life Jacket, Let us know if he wants a stand up pole or sit down seat.
It's also helpful to know if they have any health problems. (Diabetes Shot, Heart Meds,) or any other things they might forget while they are catching lots of big fish!
5-7 Rods and one bag, and a rainsuit, gloves, facemask, etc.
Their own snacks. (Unless it's pickled pigs feet! Gotta share those!!! sick)
Their Drinks
culling clips
These are just a few of the "unspoken" guidelines.

Re: Co angler etiquette [Re: Flooringit] #12624544 02/13/18 01:37 AM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I disagree. I dont feel like I should have to give extra money, nor do I think a co owes me anything in return. Im making the decisions. Im getting first cast on the spot. Im making the decision when to move or stay. Im fishing regardless of co angler or not. Their entry fee is already plenty without having to pay me. If I rely on a co angler to pay my expenses then maybe I need to cash more checks. If you cant afford to pay for everything it takes to fish tournaments then maybe you shouldnt fish tournament or own $70k bass boats.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Co angler etiquette [Re: J.H.S.] #12624569 02/13/18 01:49 AM
F
Flooringit Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Josh Seale
I disagree. I dont feel like I should have to give extra money, nor do I think a co owes me anything in return. Im making the decisions. Im getting first cast on the spot. Im making the decision when to move or stay. Im fishing regardless of co angler or not. Their entry fee is already plenty without having to pay me. If I rely on a co angler to pay my expenses then maybe I need to cash more checks. If you cant afford to pay for everything it takes to fish tournaments then maybe you shouldnt fish tournament or own $70k bass boats.

I really feel the same as you. My dilemma is you dont know what your gonna draw so in good faith Id rather offer some gas money just so they arent mad and front ending me worse then they already will be just cause of the logistics of being a co. I honestly take friend fishing all the time they offer fuel I never take any they insist I say nah man Im going wether you come or not. I love to fish love catching more. But then bad days can be miserable.

2013 Phoenix 920xp
Re: Co angler etiquette [Re: rj74955] #12624977 02/13/18 04:10 AM
D
dk2429 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: rj74955
I never ask for or expect gas money but if they offer I'll take it. I had a co-angler one time that had fished for 9 years and never made a regional, but it looked like if he caught 1 fish in the last tournament he was finally going to make it. I told him the night before to tie on one of my yellow magics and we would get him a fish before I ever picked up a rod. Sure enough, he caught a 4 pounder right off the bat and danced his azz off on the back deck, ran to the front and was high fivin', hugged me, thought he was going to kiss me. We had a fun day, both got in the money and at the weigh in line he handed me some money, tearfully, and I stuck it in my pocket and felt really happy for the guy. I got home and pulled the money out of my pocket, 4 wadded up $1 bills. And he forgot to give my yellow magic back.

Four bucks..? That story is priceless. You made a dudes dream come true, and that's all there is to it.. I would have let him keep the yellow magic as a souvenir!

I took my nephew one time up on Houston County Lake. He's always said how much he wanted to catch a bass. He was just throwing a black/yellow spinnerbait and thought he got hung up. I told him to just yank it back a few times. Sure enough, a few seconds later, I find myself dropping my [censored] and grabbing the net as quick as I could. The kid made his first bass a 4 pounder! I told him to keep the spinner bait to remember his first bass! Ever since then, I've done that to anybody I bring that wants to catch a certain fish..

Another pretty cool story.. I have a buddy that's about to ship off into the Marines. Ever since I met him a year or two ago, he's also told me every time we talked about how his goal is to catch him a red fish (he's from PA so wasn't familiar with fishing the salt down here.) Finally took him out.. Was out in West Bay down here near Galveston. Found birds working. Told him to cast right underneath the birds. First cast, he hooks into something. He's just reeling it in casually thinking it's a trout, and then all of a sudden, there went the drag and the fight was on! Few mins later, the man makes his first red a 29"! I told him to keep the lure (pumpkinseed charturse saltwater assassin) and he has it hanging from the rearview mirror in his truck.. Lol. Just watching him reel that bad boy in and seeing how freaked out and excited he was paid the whole trip for me!

Last edited by dk2429; 02/13/18 04:14 AM.

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Co angler etiquette [Re: Flooringit] #12625280 02/13/18 02:16 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Lol, I wasn't mad, I thought it was hilarious. It was a good day.

Re: Co angler etiquette [Re: Flooringit] #12625344 02/13/18 02:55 PM
TBassYates Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I used do a lot of fishing as a co angler for years in BFL, Redman, Anglers Choice Pro Am etc. I always tried to share expenses but one thing I think that really set the tone for my thanks for getting to fish with the person was right off the bat before fishing started to let the boater know that if I got lucky enough to catch big bass for the day I would be splitting the big bass pot 50/50 with him. I think this set a good tone most of the time with the person.
Also one thing I made a change on very early was I have always liked using the chartreuse dip n dye but when I go into someone else's boat I would leave the bottles at home and take only the pens to use. Never had to worry about making any mistakes or wind blowing drops of that stuff in someone else's boat. Spilled a whole bottle on the console of my Bass Cat once. Looked really cool at first but took a couple of months of cleaning and wear to finally go away.

[Linked Image]
Re: Co angler etiquette [Re: J.H.S.] #12625394 02/13/18 03:24 PM
T
TxSwimbaiter Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: Josh Seale

^^^This and if they insist I tell them they can buy the beer.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide