Forums59
Topics1,039,304
Posts13,962,597
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question [Re: WhereDayBe?] #12606392 02/02/18 03:06 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Yeah the cable for the Ultrex transducer is concealed, I used the Lowrance transducer on the trolling motor so I had the cable run up the outside of the shaft. Even If I had a bird up front I still would have used an external transducer. I just think it's the right thing to do based in info I got from people who were doing it that way. Now if I wanted to tie them together with an Ethernet it would be different but I don't care to do that. Get with David and tell him your objectives and let him help you get there.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question [Re: WhereDayBe?] #12606428 02/02/18 03:29 AM
W
WhereDayBe? Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Will do. And again, I thank for your time and for sharing your knowledge.

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question [Re: WhereDayBe?] #12606481 02/02/18 04:04 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
I have the same setup(hds8 gen 2 and Ultrex) and used it today for the first time. The cable hooks up but it acts goofy! I had to unplug the US2 cable and plug it back together every time I deployed the trolling motor. It would not reset itself and find the bottom unless I did that! Guess Ill be looking for a touch 9 now ! Ugh!!

Last edited by SkeeterRonnie; 02/02/18 04:04 AM.
Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #12606744 02/02/18 01:40 PM
Outlaw Outdoors Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: WhereDayBe?
Originally Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors
Yes, Sir. I do get that. Are you speaking from experience regarding specifically the Gen2 model?
Not doubting you at all. In fact, you are getting my hopes back up!
Thanks!

Sorta kinda. LOL

I had an HDS8 Gen2 hooked to a Fortrex. I currently have an HDS12 Gen2 hooked to my Ultrex. I know for sure the cable hasnt changed on either of them. So I haven t actually hooked up an HDS8 Gen2 up to an Ultrex, but Im 99% sure from what I know that itll work.

That sounds promising. Are you pleased with the quality of the built in US2?
One response above suggested to consider attaching a Lowrance transducer to the Ultrex for better image quality. I actually have new spare one, but not sure I like the idea of having to externally route the cable up the shaft of the Ultrex.

I don't think it's as good of quality as an aftermarket transducer. I am not as much concerned with seeing fish on it as I am just seeing depth, vegatation and cover. It shows this fine. I'm not a fan of having clutter (extra xducer and cables) on my TM so I'll settle for less quality because, like I said, it does the job for me. Now if it were at the console, I would definitely search out different options. I want the very best picture I can obtain while idling and graphing.

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
I have the same setup(hds8 gen 2 and Ultrex) and used it today for the first time. The cable hooks up but it acts goofy! I had to unplug the US2 cable and plug it back together every time I deployed the trolling motor. It would not reset itself and find the bottom unless I did that! Guess Ill be looking for a touch 9 now ! Ugh!!

Maybe this is why the tech told you it wasn't compatible. When you said compatible, I'm thinking "will it plug in". I haven't heard anything about it being glitchy. I will say this - about 1 in 10 times that I drop my Ultrex with my HDS12, it takes a couple of minutes to find the bottom. I just write that off to being out of the water and it shooting its sonar signal into infinity (straight forward) and then I'm asking it to pick up the bottom after I drop it in the water. Maybe I'm a little more patient than some. LOL

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #12607010 02/02/18 03:38 PM
W
WhereDayBe? Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W

Just my luck. Of all the Lowrance models/generations, I have the ONE that does not work with the Ultrex.
I finally talk the wife into letting me fork out the money on the Ultrex, and now a new graph?
Gonna be a hard sell! realmad

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question [Re: WhereDayBe?] #12607185 02/02/18 05:07 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Just my luck. Of all the Lowrance models/generations, I have the ONE that does not work with the Ultrex.
I finally talk the wife into letting me fork out the money on the Ultrex, and now a new graph?
Gonna be a hard sell! realmad

Sent you a PM. Blinking flag at the top.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide