Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question

Posted By: WhereDayBe?

Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/01/18 07:50 PM

I'm looking into an Ultrex, and I have an HDS8 Gen2 at the bow. Looking at the
US2 cable adapter chart, on the Minn Kota website, and all of the HDS models, except for the 8, show
that there is an adapter cable available for all generations of the model. It shows only the original
HDS 8 as being able to take the MKR-US2-10 adapter cable.
I called MK to verify, and was told that yes, there must be something about the Gen2 and Gen3
that is not compatible with the adapter cable, and thus, the Ultrex.
Please say it isn't so!
Does anyone here run an Ultrex with HDS8 Gen2, or have any information to share?
Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/01/18 08:00 PM

I assume you understand you're only going to be able to utilize the built in sonar transducer on the Ultrex. With that said, the US2 adapter will work for your HDS8.

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/01/18 08:05 PM

Yes, Sir. I do get that. Are you speaking from experience regarding specifically the Gen2 model?
Not doubting you at all. In fact, you are getting my hopes back up!
Thanks!
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/01/18 08:39 PM

Shut-Up-And-Fish in Lewisville has the adapter cable you're looking for. 972-822-9285

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/01/18 08:48 PM

Thank you, Gig'em!

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/01/18 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: WhereDayBe?
Thank you, Gig'em!

You are welcome, David is a good dude and is magic with electronics. He's at 985 bus. 121. Ste. 602. Couple miles east of I-35.

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/01/18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Thank you, Gig'em!

You are welcome, David is a good dude and is magic with electronics. He's at 985 bus. 121. Ste. 602. Couple miles east of I-35.

Turns out he's only a couple miles from where I work. I'll definitely give him a visit.
Who knows... maybe he'll hook me up an Ultrex as well. I'll tell him you sent me.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/01/18 09:56 PM

The built in transducer usually are not as good as the factory ones. I'd just mount a Lowrance transducer in a transducer saver mount myself.

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/01/18 10:02 PM

Thank you, Gig'em!

Turns out he's only a couple miles from where I work. I'll definitely give him a visit.
Who knows... maybe he'll hook me up an Ultrex as well. I'll tell him you sent me.

He's got'em and will install it for you too. Yeah tell him the guy with the Helix 10 sent you. He set mine up sitting at his desk last Thursday. He's a great teacher of electronics. And the previous poster is correct, the Ultrex transducer is ok but not as good as the Humminbird. David may carry the transducer brackets for the trolling motor, if not you need to order the bracket and shield from Transducer Shield & Saver in Wetumpka Al. They are simply the best.

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/01/18 10:02 PM

Thank you, Gig'em!

Hmmm... was not aware of that. More food for thought.
Thanks.

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/01/18 10:05 PM

oops.. meant for Chris B

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/02/18 12:34 AM

Yes, Sir. I do get that. Are you speaking from experience regarding specifically the Gen2 model?
Thanks!

Sorta kinda. LOL

I had an HDS8 Gen2 hooked to a Fortrex. I currently have an HDS12 Gen2 hooked to my Ultrex. I know for sure the cable hasn稚 changed on either of them. So I haven t actually hooked up an HDS8 Gen2 up to an Ultrex, but I知 99% sure from what I know that it値l work.

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/02/18 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors
Thanks!

Sorta kinda. LOL

I had an HDS8 Gen2 hooked to a Fortrex. I currently have an HDS12 Gen2 hooked to my Ultrex. I know for sure the cable hasn稚 changed on either of them. So I haven t actually hooked up an HDS8 Gen2 up to an Ultrex, but I知 99% sure from what I know that it値l work.

That sounds promising. Are you pleased with the quality of the built in US2?
One response above suggested to consider attaching a Lowrance transducer to the Ultrex for better image quality. I actually have new spare one, but not sure I like the idea of having to externally route the cable up the shaft of the Ultrex.

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/02/18 01:41 AM

Thanks!

Sorta kinda. LOL

One response above suggested to consider attaching a Lowrance transducer to the Ultrex for better image quality. I actually have new spare one, but not sure I like the idea of having to externally route the cable up the shaft of the Ultrex.

WDB, I have a Lowrance up front and have the transducer cable run up the shaft over to and through the bow panel and then to the unit. Not a big deal really and I get a good picture. I would consult with David if you're thinking about using the Ultrex transducer for your Helix. JMO.

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/02/18 02:46 AM

Thanks!

Sorta kinda. LOL

WDB, I have a Lowrance up front and have the transducer cable run up the shaft over to and through the bow panel and then to the unit. Not a big deal really and I get a good picture. I would consult with David if you're thinking about using the Ultrex transducer for your Helix. JMO.

I have an HDS 8 Gen 2 up front. But do plan on talking with David before doing anything. Still baffled with why the Minn Kota tech told me that their adapter cable will only work with the gen1, and not gen2 or 3. Maybe he was a drinking the job. grin
Is the cable for the built in transducer not concealed inside the shaft? Why did you have to run a cable?
Did you opt to attach a Lowrance transducer rather than use the built in?

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/02/18 03:06 AM

Yeah the cable for the Ultrex transducer is concealed, I used the Lowrance transducer on the trolling motor so I had the cable run up the outside of the shaft. Even If I had a bird up front I still would have used an external transducer. I just think it's the right thing to do based in info I got from people who were doing it that way. Now if I wanted to tie them together with an Ethernet it would be different but I don't care to do that. Get with David and tell him your objectives and let him help you get there.

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/02/18 03:29 AM

Will do. And again, I thank for your time and for sharing your knowledge.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/02/18 04:04 AM

I have the same setup(hds8 gen 2 and Ultrex) and used it today for the first time. The cable hooks up but it acts goofy! I had to unplug the US2 cable and plug it back together every time I deployed the trolling motor. It would not reset itself and find the bottom unless I did that! Guess I値l be looking for a touch 9 now ! Ugh!!

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/02/18 01:40 PM

Thanks!

Sorta kinda. LOL

I don't think it's as good of quality as an aftermarket transducer. I am not as much concerned with seeing fish on it as I am just seeing depth, vegatation and cover. It shows this fine. I'm not a fan of having clutter (extra xducer and cables) on my TM so I'll settle for less quality because, like I said, it does the job for me. Now if it were at the console, I would definitely search out different options. I want the very best picture I can obtain while idling and graphing.

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
I have the same setup(hds8 gen 2 and Ultrex) and used it today for the first time. The cable hooks up but it acts goofy! I had to unplug the US2 cable and plug it back together every time I deployed the trolling motor. It would not reset itself and find the bottom unless I did that! Guess I値l be looking for a touch 9 now ! Ugh!!

Maybe this is why the tech told you it wasn't compatible. When you said compatible, I'm thinking "will it plug in". I haven't heard anything about it being glitchy. I will say this - about 1 in 10 times that I drop my Ultrex with my HDS12, it takes a couple of minutes to find the bottom. I just write that off to being out of the water and it shooting its sonar signal into infinity (straight forward) and then I'm asking it to pick up the bottom after I drop it in the water. Maybe I'm a little more patient than some. LOL

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/02/18 03:38 PM

Just my luck. Of all the Lowrance models/generations, I have the ONE that does not work with the Ultrex.
I finally talk the wife into letting me fork out the money on the Ultrex, and now a new graph?
Gonna be a hard sell! realmad

Re: Ultrex / HDS 8 compatibility question - 02/02/18 05:07 PM

Just my luck. Of all the Lowrance models/generations, I have the ONE that does not work with the Ultrex.
I finally talk the wife into letting me fork out the money on the Ultrex, and now a new graph?
Gonna be a hard sell! realmad

Sent you a PM. Blinking flag at the top.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum