Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: Bobby Milam] #12435765 09/21/17 06:36 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
He never said they measured both sides. Of course he didn't get a ticket if it measured good on the side that they measured. If he measured it and one side was long and he placed it in his livewell then he most definitely broke the law.

TDs don't make or interpretate the law. They can only make their rules more stringent than the law. If I am 6' tall and I have one leg amputated 3' shorter, am I now 6'or 5'9"? I know it isn't exactly the same thing but you should see my point. If a fish is measured on either side and must be below a certain length and on one side here is over, then it is not a legal fish no more than trimming the tail on one.

How did you lose 3 feet of one of your legs?

#MFGA
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: Douglas J] #12435769 09/21/17 06:37 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
He never said they measured both sides. Of course he didn't get a ticket if it measured good on the side that they measured. If he measured it and one side was long and he placed it in his livewell then he most definitely broke the law.

TDs don't make or interpretate the law. They can only make their rules more stringent than the law. If I am 6' tall and I have one leg amputated 3' shorter, am I now 6'or 5'9"? I know it isn't exactly the same thing but you should see my point. If a fish is measured on either side and must be below a certain length and on one side here is over, then it is not a legal fish no more than trimming the tail on one.

he lost 3 feet, but only 3inches off his overall height

John Miller
Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: medic911] #12435782 09/21/17 06:47 PM
D
Deputy T Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: medic911
Yeah, I just jumped on here and made some stuff up. rolleyes

I just stated what was told to me. This Warden and myself have had a discussion about that day since. He remembers it well. I will not give his name cause the long and short is it doesn't matter one way or the other. It's nice to know some folks know everything tho.

If you are referring to paying OT for services such as security overnight to protect their assets on the ground then yes, you are correct sir. If you are were referring to Sealy paying OT for a Game Warden to work the tournament for enforcment of laws only, then do NOT receive funds from Sealy. They are there working as part of their normal tour of duties and being compensated by the state.

What I can tell you from personal experience of 11 years in the field and having brothers who are game wardens,
1. No one is going to tell me or have any rule over how I issue citations or warnings, no one.
2. If this was said to me or any LEO, that person would quickly be put in their place and reminded that they are there to enforce the rules and I am there to enforce the laws. A civilian nor another peace officer can dictate another's officers discretion on this matter.
3. When it comes to testimony in a court of law, "he told me to" simply doesn't cut it.

I stand behind my statements 100% as I sit here and type this message sitting next to the Game Warden who dealt with this specific incident.

Last edited by Deputy T; 09/21/17 07:26 PM.

In God we trust, All others I run through TCIC/NCIC
Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: UTDmiller] #12435798 09/21/17 07:00 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: UTDmiller

I don't know but I bet it's heck to stand on the front deck with a 20mph wind with one leg shorter than the other... but then again, Capt. Morgan does it..

Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: FishVibesTv] #12436118 09/21/17 11:24 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
These always go so well

Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: FishVibesTv] #12436145 09/21/17 11:39 PM
N
NTX Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Just to clarify, since my little story has got so much attention. When I first measured the fish on the boat it was just under 16. We didnt noticed the difference until on the way to the weigh in I stopped by my friends house and showed him how close the fish was. I was ready to except a ticket and maybe learn something about how to measure a fish correctly. I was even going to let the GW measure it first then take it up to the official. However the GW where on break and I could not find one. Once the official said it was good I had no problem excepting the $450 check, its their tournament.
If there had been any integrity issue I would have had to know it was an illegal fish. How could I know that if it measured legally one way and not the other. It was a definite coin flip. By the way if I had KNOWN it was illegal the fish would have been swimming with his little buddies immediately.

Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: Bryanmc57] #12436187 09/22/17 12:09 AM
B
Bass-N-Buck Master Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Bryanmc57

The statement was that it measures just under 16" on one side but just over 16" on the other.

Just for discussion, does an over have to be over on both sides or is being over on one side sufficient? If yes, wouldn't being under on one side be sufficient as well?

Per Curt Kelly on KMOO sunday morning if he measures a fish on both sides and one is over/under and the other side is Over/Under he gives the benefit to the angler that its a legal fish.

Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: FishVibesTv] #12436209 09/22/17 12:23 AM
S
skins84 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Good to know. It has always been my perception if the tail broke the 16" line on either side it was a slot fish.

Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: FishVibesTv] #12437308 09/22/17 07:05 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
Originally Posted By: UTDmiller

I don't know but I bet it's heck to stand on the front deck with a 20mph wind with one leg shorter than the other... but then again, Capt. Morgan does it..

#MFGA
Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: FishVibesTv] #12437649 09/22/17 10:07 PM
G
GTS1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Just a thought, If the tournament director found out that the ruler was not being used correctly what would that have done to everyone else in the tournament. Might have opened up a big can of worms! (And I don't mean the kind you fish with).

Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: CCTX] #12437657 09/22/17 10:14 PM
N
NTX Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Originally Posted By: Crankalot
What is the point of a slot?

Increases the population of fish in the lake that are in their prime reproductive/breeding years.

The state record was set long before the slot. I dont see the point of the slot the fishing has not been any better or worse since it was implemented IMO.

Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: FishVibesTv] #12437663 09/22/17 10:19 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Ok then, since it's no worse, why change it?

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: NTX Angler] #12437669 09/22/17 10:23 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: letsgofishin

Increases the population of fish in the lake that are in their prime reproductive/breeding years.

The state record was set long before the slot. I dont see the point of the slot the fishing has not been any better or worse since it was implemented IMO.

Fishing pressure is worse now than ever so technically fishing has gotten better.

Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: NTX Angler] #12437691 09/22/17 10:38 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: letsgofishin

The slot was 14-18 inches when Barry St. Clair caught his 18.18 in 1992. It was changed to 14-21" the following September ('93). The slot on Lake Fork will never be eliminated. Changed? Maybe, but never removed.

A better scenario would be no restrictions for white bass on Fork, only. Probably never happen, either.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Trouble at Fork [Re: fouzman] #12437694 09/22/17 10:42 PM
N
NTX Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Ok then, since it's no worse, why change it?

Give Game Wardens something better to do thats for sure. The state might lose some revenue from tickets issued to some poor soul who does not understand the whole slot system. Make tournaments much more competitive and enjoyable IMO. Ray Bob had a slot for years and honestly no one gave a [censored] because it was Ray Bob and not Fork. I fish RB probably 30 -40 times a year because I live just up the road. I have never ever been met on the water or at the boat ramp by a GW wanting to check for slotted fish. The slot never showed to produce any kind of better fishing. Fork does get a lot of pressure but I catch more and better fish @ Fork than I do at Ray Bob. I do not think it has anything to do with a slot. Fork is just a much better suited reservoir for bass than RB is. All East Texas lakes are great bass lakes Fork just has a reputation for BIG bass mainly because 10 times more people fish it than any of the other lakes. If there was conclusive data showing the slot is working I could see a reason to keep it, I just dont see it. I would like to hear some opinions from guides about the slot at Fork.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide