Print Thread
How far do you need to cast? #12268492 05/30/17 12:58 AM
T
txhuntingguide Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
On Galveston Island to get to bigger fish? We are staying about 6 miles fro San Luis the 16th thru 23rd of June. We bass, crappie catfish ect. you name it.
Can I get out to bigger fish with 6500 C3 Garcia's and longer rods or do I need all new rig's?
How far are each of the sand Bars?
Which bars to fish for what species?
Not a strong swimmer. Will be wading with PFD. Can I wade to 2nd bar?

I know its a lot of questions but I appreciate your input in advance. We have an offshore charter booked. I have a wife, 18 yr old daughter, 16 yr old son and 10 yr old daughter that all love to fish. Not looking for anyone's secret spot's or tactics just some basic equipment advise. Thank you.

Re: How far do you need to cast? [Re: txhuntingguide] #12269258 05/30/17 03:15 PM
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Angler
G
The short answer to all of that is: it depends.

It depends on the beach, it depends on the surf conditions, it depends on the time of day, etc...

You could throw most of the normal artificials using standard bass gear. You'd have a tough time throwing big weights and big baits.

Just make sure you rinse it off carefully with fresh water at the end of the day, and try not to dunk it.

Re: How far do you need to cast? [Re: txhuntingguide] #12269259 05/30/17 03:15 PM
K
KBW Offline
Angler
Angler
K
You will need a lot of line so Id load the 6500 up with braid. Be advised the sand can be abrasive so check it often.

You can catch fish in knee deep water but usually small. Whiting and hardheads if using shrimp etc.

On a good surf you can fish laterally between the 1st and 2nd gut and 2nd and 3rd using a variety of lures but a gold spoon is easiest. Can try Zara spooks or other similar topwaters and swim baits for trout or red fish.

If It were me and it was a once or twice a year trip, Id get a couple less expensive surf rods with spinning reels. Wade out as far as ya feel comfortable and cast cut bait with a 3-4 ounce pyramid or spider weight. Walk it back in and chill. Pretty good chance of catching something a little bigger such as black tip or bull red.

You can probably get to the second bar and cast between it and 3 and leave it.

Stay out of the water at SLP.

Re: How far do you need to cast? [Re: txhuntingguide] #12269303 05/30/17 03:42 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I fish the beach front a fair amount. Like others have said, it depends. The surf here is a different animal almost every day. Sometimes it's rough, full of strong currents and or seaweed and very difficult to fish. It can be sandy and still have good fish in it. Too clear is almost bad. If its rough or has a lot of current, it helps to have a pretty long stout rod and some decent amount of line on a reel to chunk the spider weights necessary to anchor the bait. I usually set a mix of small live and cut mullet cast netted from the surf on circle hooks.

Other times, the fish can be in the first gut right next to the beach. Topwaters, tails and plugs can work when things are like that. They can be in the second gut as the sun gets up and you can stand of the bar in waist deep water and cast out to them. Fishing with lures/flies and fishing with bait each has its charms. 2-4 bait rods are usually all you need to stay busy baiting, rigging, catching, casting. I like to have a mix of bigger and smaller rods. maybe get some whiting on small hooks closer in with dead shrimp and a couple of longer heavier rods to throw out as far as you can for sharks, redfish, gafftop, maybe trout. Jacks patrol the surf at times. So do Spanish mackerel and bluefish so have some stout fluorocarbon or wire handy. Often times, the bait activity will give clues to where the fish are.

Have a very long stringer with a quick release or walk your retained fish ashore because sharks are very apt to go for fish on a stringer.

Re: How far do you need to cast? [Re: txhuntingguide] #12270373 05/31/17 01:14 AM
T
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Ok thank you for the advice. Am I talking needing to get out 100 yds or am i looking at 200 yds?

Re: How far do you need to cast? [Re: txhuntingguide] #12270380 05/31/17 01:18 AM
T
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Ok thank you for the advice. Am I talking needing to get out 100 yds or am i looking at 200 yds? What rod lengths for the longer stuff do I need?

Re: How far do you need to cast? [Re: txhuntingguide] #12271588 05/31/17 07:34 PM
M
marschall Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
We go every year for a week and will be there the 9th thru the 16th. We always stop at the 1st bait house on the right after you get off 45 headed to the sea wall. Get your tackle there. Steel leaders , big hooks and weights. We use their squid and put it in a cooler with ice. I always use my abu garcias 5500 and 6000's ect. I also use a ugly stick rod with them and use Cajun 20lb. test line on them. DO NOT let them get under the water ! Rinse them off with fresh water every night. We stay between Jamaica Beach and the pass. Early in the morning and late at night has been good for us. I never get past waist deep , cast as far as I can and walk back to ankle deep water. Last year the craps were bad and bit my foot right off the bat.Just knew it was a shark lol I almost walked on water ! We always catch a lot of fish. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Go to Millers restaurant for some good to the bone gumbo. And Katies sea food for some fresh shrimp.

May your wiener schnitzel always stay above your lederhosein.
Re: How far do you need to cast? [Re: txhuntingguide] #12272056 06/01/17 12:12 AM
T
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Heck yeah thank you!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide