Print Thread
Slack line with crankbaits for bass #12175474 05/30/14 03:58 PM
C
CrankBait1007 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
I know this is going to be a debate and I may be called crazy and all that, but I知 curious what others think. Let me say I知 not a Pro or Professional and I知 not even saying I知 right about this. I知 just thinking outside the box but look forward to others opinion.

Last edited by CrankBait1007; 05/30/14 03:59 PM.

[img] [/img]
Sometimes I wish i never picked that rod up!
Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: CrankBait1007] #12175475 05/30/14 04:10 PM
C
ChampionDon (SkeeterDon) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
keep testing that theory since you seem to catch quite a few crankbait fish.

I would say start counting them and see what percentages do and don't. A lot will be relevant to where they are hooked.

I do see your point, because when you pull on the fish and they do throw it you actually pull it away from them. If they try and throw it with slack line and they do throw it, there is a great chance that they will hook themselves again because there is not pressure from a different angle.

Like tossing a ball from hand to hand, if there was a string attached and someone pulled on it as it was in flight it would change paths. There are other variabes to consider:

Angle in which the bait is thrown left or right
Hooked left or right
hooded top or bottom
size of hooks
size of crank bait

test your theory. There are more variables than I listed

Good luck and keep us posted

2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Lake Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2
Central Texas Realtor, Helping People Buy/Sell Their Home, Give Me A Call.
2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS
www.powertackle.com
www.swaggertackle.com
www.hogfarmberbaits.com
www.honestac.com
www.whortonins.com
Donnie C. O'Neal - 512-431-5977

Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: CrankBait1007] #12175476 05/30/14 04:25 PM
K
kirbydog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Interesting theory. My only concern is fish are really good at spitting out what doesn't feel right and I don't know if I can retrain myself to wait. smile. For myself, I think too many guys set the hook on a crank like they would on other lures. I keep a light drag unless I'm in heavy cover and I let the rod just load up with the fish and do a sweep set. After that, keeping slack out of the line is key.

Finally, a stretchy mono can really help-I use trilene XL on my crank rods.

Last edited by kirbydog; 05/30/14 04:29 PM.
Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)] #12175477 05/30/14 04:34 PM
C
CrankBait1007 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon
keep testing that theory since you seem to catch quite a few crankbait fish.

I would say start counting them and see what percentages do and don't. A lot will be relevant to where they are hooked.

I do see your point, because when you pull on the fish and they do throw it you actually pull it away from them. If they try and throw it with slack line and they do throw it, there is a great chance that they will hook themselves again because there is not pressure from a different angle.

Like tossing a ball from hand to hand, if there was a string attached and someone pulled on it as it was in flight it would change paths. There are other variabes to consider:

Angle in which the bait is thrown left or right
Hooked left or right
hooded top or bottom
size of hooks
size of crank bait

test your theory. There are more variables than I listed

Good luck and keep us posted

Good points and yes I致e been watching some of my videos actually putting them in a folder just for jumping bass so I can see how me handling the bass works out. I think when I saw one bass not being hooked well (on the outside ) and when she came up I kept pressure on her.she broke free. And you are right there are a lot of variables. I just know I have jumped and lost a whole lot of bass and it started me thinking. Thanks for the input SkeeterDon thumb

[img] [/img]
Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: kirbydog] #12175478 05/30/14 04:38 PM
C
CrankBait1007 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: kirbydog
Interesting theory. My only concern is fish are really good at spitting out what doesn't feel right and I don't know if I can retrain myself to wait. smile. For myself, I think too many guys set the hook on a crank like they would on other lures. I keep a light drag unless I'm in heavy cover and I let the rod just load up with the fish and do a sweep set. After that, keeping slack out of the line is key.

Finally, a stretchy mono can really help-I use trilene XL on my crank rods.

Kirbydog I hear what you池e saying. For me sweeping is something I have to stop doing with other techniques.when not using cranks grin . It痴 a theory. I知 going to try and test it.

[img] [/img]
Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: CrankBait1007] #12175479 05/30/14 04:41 PM
D
Double K Outdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I had a top water bait that was getting thrown 3 out of 5 times by big and small bass. I tried different techniques and you know what ended up getting ratio to 0 out of 5 was.... Better hooks. I went out and bought the angled treble hooks from Academy. I don't remember the brand right off, but these hooks allow it to dig in a little easier. That being said, worked great for top water since I wasn't bumping into trees, but it may help if you had some better quality hooks. I know it's helped me on other lures as well.

~You won't catch any fish if you don't try!
[Linked Image]

Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: Double K Outdoors] #12175480 05/30/14 05:01 PM
C
CrankBait1007 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Fisherman1
I had a top water bait that was getting thrown 3 out of 5 times by big and small bass. I tried different techniques and you know what ended up getting ratio to 0 out of 5 was.... Better hooks. I went out and bought the angled treble hooks from Academy. I don't remember the brand right off, but these hooks allow it to dig in a little easier. That being said, worked great for top water since I wasn't bumping into trees, but it may help if you had some better quality hooks. I know it's helped me on other lures as well.

I agree with hook changing has something to do with it. I think you are talking about triple gripsyes like em and use em. I wish I could swap out all my cranks with these and go to a 4 and even 2 size but these trees and stumps won稚 allow that ya know.

[img] [/img]
Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: CrankBait1007] #12175481 05/30/14 06:12 PM
F
fitter2259 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
About a year and a half ago I started experimenting with the Barbarian treble hooks on mid depth and shallow cranks for this same reason. I too have gotten very frustrated at having fish spitting cranks back out at me. Since I started trying the Barbarians I have yet to have one spit out but have still had quite a few get thrown using the triple grips during this same time period. Coincidence?.....maybe. However I cant help think that the reverse barbs have something to do with the fishes inability to shake the crank out when jumping. I have not as yet made the transition over to deep crank baits but will probably give that a go too in another month or so when I make the transition over to mostly deep fishing.

Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: CrankBait1007] #12175482 05/30/14 07:26 PM
R
Rudy Lackey Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I've caught many bass when the crank stops wobbling. SWING !

Rudy
Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: CrankBait1007] #12175483 05/30/14 07:28 PM
Bissett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
What if once you hooked them you just cranked em in as fast as you could so that pressure stays there? Probably sounds easier than it really is. I do that with smaller fish but the big ones it would be a little more difficult

Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: CrankBait1007] #12175484 05/30/14 07:29 PM
Rickmb Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I do agree that too much pressure will pull out the hooks when they jump. I had a hard lesson in this not long ago with a fish of a life time for me. I have had varying levels of success in landing fish I catch on traps. I used to fish these on a MH graphite rod. I switched to graphite rods more technique specific which helped but I still lost fish. I had a buddy that told me to loosen up the drag and let the fish play out more.
I now let the fish run more. I don't let the line go completely slack but I keep enough pressure on them to tire them out. To keep them from jumping so much I found keeping my rod tip low to the water keeps them down. They still jump some but they have a softer rod tip and less drag which I guess means more "slack".
Since switching I have not lost any fish. I lost one where I got impatient and tried to horse it in. Sure enough it jumped and spit it out.

2018 Skeeter ZX250
2018 Yamaha 250 SHO
Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: Rickmb] #12175485 05/31/14 01:44 AM
C
CrankBait1007 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Rickmb
I do agree that too much pressure will pull out the hooks when they jump. I had a hard lesson in this not long ago with a fish of a life time for me. I have had varying levels of success in landing fish I catch on traps. I used to fish these on a MH graphite rod. I switched to graphite rods more technique specific which helped but I still lost fish. I had a buddy that told me to loosen up the drag and let the fish play out more.
I now let the fish run more. I don't let the line go completely slack but I keep enough pressure on them to tire them out. To keep them from jumping so much I found keeping my rod tip low to the water keeps them down. They still jump some but they have a softer rod tip and less drag which I guess means more "slack".
Since switching I have not lost any fish. I lost one where I got impatient and tried to horse it in. Sure enough it jumped and spit it out.

Rick I too have been trying the less drag technique have to get that thumb on the spool thing down to put enough pressure on it to sink those triple grips in good!

[img] [/img]
Re: Slack line with crankbaits for bass [Re: CrankBait1007] #12175486 06/04/14 03:29 AM
B
beezaboy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Maybe a slower taper rod would help you out also, I am not sure if you're using a certain rod to fish with crankbaits but I use a Dobyns cranking rod with a moderate taper, I think it helps the fish suck the bait in deeper having that loose tip and same thing when the fish jumps, the hooks are deeper on average and the rod gives when the fish shakes. It seems to help keep the perfect amount of tension and I still lose a fish here and there but not nearly as often. Just my 2 cents

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide