Forums59
Topics1,039,337
Posts13,963,100
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: 1WithTXFish] #12100229 02/18/17 01:01 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Well, as always I enjoyed reading this month's debate on the ShareLunker program. I'm still a fan, but even after countless forays into this topic, there is always some ancient bit of forgotten knowledge that still surfaces. That makes it worth the read. Good stuff gents.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: bassmastah] #12100235 02/18/17 01:08 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: bassmastah
If you don't think politics are involved you live in a very small shoe. Politics are ALWAYS involved in any state or ferdeal run agency. I can hear them now...We're gonna grow the biggest largemouth bass in the country maybe even the world and fisherman will come from everywhere to spend their money here. The truth is it hasn't worked. Search the top 50 largemouth bass caught in Texas and look at the dates. Enough said.

Donate and sponsor the Share A Lunker program and you will get appointed to the TPWD Commission. This is very typical in most Texas agencies

T. Dan Friedkin is a prime example, I see he is part of the Gulf State Toyota, I would assume part of the SAL sponsorhip

http://tpwd.texas.gov/about/tpw-commissioners

Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: matt williams] #12100259 02/18/17 01:38 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: matt williams
Originally Posted By: fouzman
ChuChu, the 1943 state record was a Northern Strain Largemouth. Every single giant largemouth bass caught since November of 1986 have one thing in common, and it's not the SAL program, selective breeding or anything other than alleles. Specifically alleles from pure, Florida largemouth bass. Those came from Bob Kemp in 1974. Everything else since is window dressing.

We (state) can buy pure florida LMB. Many more than we can raise for the same $. Why don't we? noidea

This is an excerpt from a story titled "Stock Market" I did for the March 2017 issue of Texas Fish and Game Magazine.

"No one can deny that Kemp knocked a home run by bringing Florida bass to Texas at a time when the state was teeming with robust, new reservoirs. Interestingly, however, the Kemp bass may not have been the very first Floridas introduced to Texas waters. In fact, scientists discovered through genetics testing in the early 1990s that Florida bass may have arrived in Texas decades earlier.
The evidence surfaced after TPWD biologists obtained scale samples from the original skin mount of the former 13.50 pound state record bass that was caught from Lake Medina way back in 1943.
According to Todd Engeling, TPWD's freshwater hatchery chief, the analysis showed that there was some level of Florida influence in the Medina fish and that the bass presumably found its way to in the 5,400-acre Hill Country reservoir via an "undocumented" private stocking."
Very interesting. Not many people are aware of this. I certainly wasn't until I dug into the story. You can read the full story in the Feb. 2017 issue of Texas Fish and Game.

That is interesting indeed.
And wow! All you guys are having a good debate. I'm also learning a lot just reading. There is a whole lot more to it than meets the eye.

Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: grout-scout] #12100306 02/18/17 02:24 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Chu, they manage some areas better than others. South and Central Texas are not taken care of very well, maybe that's why I don't feel the love for them that you do. Your area might be better taken care of.

Something else and I'm most likely in the minority here, but I go fishing to go fishing, I don't have to have every bass in the lake be a Florida strain. I'm just fine catching northern strain, in fact we all know they floridas are hard to catch in colder weather. I want easy dumb fish to catch, stock more of the dumb fish.

I live and fish right in the middle of Texas. That is a poor argument. As far as Share A Lunker, it brings in a lot of needed money for TP&W. I don't fish for trophies, I fish for fish and fun.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: 1WithTXFish] #12102891 02/20/17 04:09 PM
C
Connor S Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Good for TPWD, now if they can start stocking trout in our lakes wink

I say we fish 5 days a week and work 2.
Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: Texascajun69] #12102927 02/20/17 04:21 PM
Joefishin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Texascajun69
Joefishin

Below is from the Texas A&M AquaLife Extension Aquaculture website. As you will read most Fishery Biologists do not use lbs. to measure growth, but use inches instead. We have all caught 12" fish that might be 1-1/2lbs or bigger, but that is the exception.

Largemouth can grow to more than 2 pounds their first year under ideal conditions, but in nature about 0.5 pound is normal. Females are normally larger than males. The maximum size of the Northern largemouth is about 10 pounds, while a large female Florida largemouth may reach 20 pounds. In Texas lakes, typical size at year 1 is 8″, year 2 is 12″, year 3 is 15″, year 4 is 17″, and year 5 is 18″.

Measurements or Weight do not invalidate the data that I put forth. Why are the Fork fish more impressive then then genetically altered fish? They are just Florida bass......... That's my argument, put in some good ol Florida with good habitat and you achieve the same thing they achieved with their million dollar genetically altered fish.

SAL may be largely privately funded, but Operation World Record is not. They are two different programs and OWR has been around longer. My whole point is I would rather see some of the money spent on Habitat and not all on Genetics.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide