Forums59
Topics1,039,337
Posts13,963,100
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: AgSellers04] #12099654 02/17/17 10:30 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: AgSellers04
The main goals of the Sharelunker program is to increase awareness of catch and release, caring for big fish, and spreading the popularity of bass fishing to boost economic output. Says it right there on their website.

All the science about genetics and whether or not this or that bass was a descendant of a SAL brood fish, along with the "Operation World Record" program are all ways to promote the program to achieve the above goals and they achieved them very effectively. Not to mention the free replica and lifetime fishing license incentives for donating. They achieved their goals whether or not the breeding program actually "worked" or "failed" or whether or not the program resulted in damage to the 13+ pound fish population. It drew attention to the sport and still draws attention and that is what TPWD wants. Attention to the sport is also what tackle dealers, fishing guides, gas station owners, and hotel/resort owners want.

There is certainly far more awareness now of catch and release in our state, fish care, and more money spent on bass fishing than there was 30 years ago and the Sharelunker program has played a part in that so in that respect, the program is a success irregardless of your standpoint on the science projects they conduct. And say what you will but the bass fishing in Texas is pretty damn good if you ask me.

This the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I've never commented on this before because it was told to me in private. But now that it's out there, the purpose of the program was and still is "a beacon of light" on Texas bass fishing.

All of the other genetic modeling and attempts to grow a WR came later.

Folks get rubbed wrong when TPWD and many of their supporters (of which I'm one) put out other info to make the program seem more sexy. Just call it what it is and be done with it.

As for public funds being used to stock private waters, that's BS. The program is funded entirely by Gulf States Toyota and federal grants. Those grants would not be available to the program were it not for GST footing the majority of the expenses. Additionally, the TFWFC in Athens was built with private donations. No public funds were used.

So know that your contribution of a SAL to the program is primarily for PR purposes. You decide if that's right for you and act accordingly, should you ever be fortunate and lucky enough to boat a SAL. The SAL program has certainly helped to build recognition but, were it not for Mr. Bob Kemp, none of this would have been possible. He is solely responsible for the introduction of Florida bass to Texas waters.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: 1WithTXFish] #12099659 02/17/17 10:33 PM
Texascajun69 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
thanks

John K Fontenot
Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often; and for the same reason.
Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: 1WithTXFish] #12099691 02/17/17 11:09 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I believe we all have our own opinions on this subject. I just don't understand the objection to this organization. They do not take money from us to try and help bass fishing in Texas. I can understand everyone having a difference of opinion but when at worst they take a fish out of our home lake to try and help the generics of other lakes for us to fish or others home lake. I have a hard time believing we really do not want others to enjoy a big fish breed from fish from our home lake. I just wish we could get past the my lake is better then yours and all of us let the TP&W do the best they can for us and our lakes. I hope we can have great lakes in Texas for many years to come with or without TP&W help. I can only think Toyota for at least trying to help us in the bass fishing industry. I know a lot of people get mad at the SAL being removed and breed to help other lakes because they think it is hurting their home lake. I am guessing if we really were worried about the fish in our home lake being in better shape we would stop bass fishing tournaments to save the fish killed in those tournaments. This will let the bass grow up to be a big fish that came from the very SAL we are talking about. I do not believe that either is hurting the lakes as much as some believe because nature has a way of taking care of over population on its own. just my .02

Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: Texascajun69] #12099787 02/18/17 12:39 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: Texascajun69
Joefishin

Below is from the Texas A&M AquaLife Extension Aquaculture website. As you will read most Fishery Biologists do not use lbs. to measure growth, but use inches instead. We have all caught 12" fish that might be 1-1/2lbs or bigger, but that is the exception.

Largemouth can grow to more than 2 pounds their first year under ideal conditions, but in nature about 0.5 pound is normal. Females are normally larger than males. The maximum size of the Northern largemouth is about 10 pounds, while a large female Florida largemouth may reach 20 pounds. In Texas lakes, typical size at year 1 is 8″, year 2 is 12″, year 3 is 15″, year 4 is 17″, and year 5 is 18″.

Long time state record was over 10lbs and it was not Florida strain, the use of the word "maximum" might have been a bit much.

Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: 1WithTXFish] #12099821 02/18/17 01:18 AM
B
bassmastah Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
If you don't think politics are involved you live in a very small shoe. Politics are ALWAYS involved in any state or ferdeal run agency. I can hear them now...We're gonna grow the biggest largemouth bass in the country maybe even the world and fisherman will come from everywhere to spend their money here. The truth is it hasn't worked. Search the top 50 largemouth bass caught in Texas and look at the dates. Enough said.

Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: 1WithTXFish] #12099882 02/18/17 02:05 AM
N
NoWeighers Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Fouz.. I am going to have to disagree with you on one point.. The city of Athens contributed 4 to 5 million to the construction of the TFFC.. Last time I checked, cities get their revenue from the citizens and that indeed was taxpayer monies..

James Bendele
Falcon Lake Tackle
"On the eighth day, Man invented the Fish Hook."
Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: Texascajun69] #12099907 02/18/17 02:18 AM
N
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Texascajun69
James. Could some of your hated for the TP&W be because you think they have abandoned Falcon Lake. That you are mad because TP&W (who made the initial stockings of Fla. into Falcon that got it where it is today) will not stock Strippers and Largemouth in the lake anymore because they were tired of seeing them caught in some Mexican's net. Do you think the Fla's you are catching now swam over from Fla. and stocked themselves.

Why don't the people who live on Falcon Lake do like the ones who live around T-bend. Buy your own fingerlings and stock them yourself. Yes this has been an ongoing project of the Toledo Bend Landowners association for at 10yrs. I know of.

I personally want no stripers in Falcon, but that is just my opinion and I have no control over whether it happens or not..

If you would have done your homework you would have known that PAW has stocked near a half million Florida bass in Falcon every year for long time now..

Many people think.I don't like PAW.. Nothing is farther from the truth.

But many people on this site are ignorant and have not taken the time to objectively examine the SL program. .

Before any of you get offended, look up the definition of ignorant.. You'll find it means uninformed. .

James Bendele
Falcon Lake Tackle
Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: ChuChu1] #12099984 02/18/17 03:06 AM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Turns out the fish was an offspring of a Share A Lunker caught from Lake Conroe.

CONFIRMED!!
The recent entry into the Toyota ShareLunker Program from Marine Creek Lake by Ryder Wicker, was just confirmed to be the daughter of previous ShareLunker 410! This new catch is evidence that ShareLunker offspring have greater growth potential and ultimate size than non-ShareLunker bass!

ShareLunker 410 was caught on 3/22/2006 from Lake Conroe, donated to the ShareLunker program by angler Edward Reid, and paired up with a male ShareLunker offspring at the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center hatchery in Athens, Texas. One of the 5,000 (or so) fingerlings produced by that pair and stocked into Marine Creek Lake grew up to 13.07 pounds in less than 11 years and shattered the previous lake record of 10.78 lbs when it was caught last Friday!

The stocking that included ShareLunker 566 and her siblings was done as part of a ShareLunker evaluation research project, designed to compare growth of ShareLunker fingerlings to growth of the resident bass population in several Texas lakes including Marine Creek. The catch of ShareLunker 566 from Marine Creek Lake not only validates the success of TPWDs selective breeding program at producing ShareLunker-size bass, but also demonstrates how anglers can help others by donating their ShareLunkers for breeding purposes. Mr. Wicker can tip his hat to Mr. Reid for making this moment possible!

#ToyotaShareLunker

Do you work for TPWD or have any business ties with them? It seems no matter what they say, do or survey they release, you are in love with whatever they say. What's the special meaning of this fish having a partial genetic gene from another fish. Heck, how many fry does a bass have every year and it's happened 2 or 3 now in a billion years. The program is a joke, but if it is truly tax free money (doubtful), then whatever..waste away.

Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: grout-scout] #12100075 02/18/17 04:28 AM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Turns out the fish was an offspring of a Share A Lunker caught from Lake Conroe.

CONFIRMED!!
The recent entry into the Toyota ShareLunker Program from Marine Creek Lake by Ryder Wicker, was just confirmed to be the daughter of previous ShareLunker 410! This new catch is evidence that ShareLunker offspring have greater growth potential and ultimate size than non-ShareLunker bass!

ShareLunker 410 was caught on 3/22/2006 from Lake Conroe, donated to the ShareLunker program by angler Edward Reid, and paired up with a male ShareLunker offspring at the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center hatchery in Athens, Texas. One of the 5,000 (or so) fingerlings produced by that pair and stocked into Marine Creek Lake grew up to 13.07 pounds in less than 11 years and shattered the previous lake record of 10.78 lbs when it was caught last Friday!

The stocking that included ShareLunker 566 and her siblings was done as part of a ShareLunker evaluation research project, designed to compare growth of ShareLunker fingerlings to growth of the resident bass population in several Texas lakes including Marine Creek. The catch of ShareLunker 566 from Marine Creek Lake not only validates the success of TPWDs selective breeding program at producing ShareLunker-size bass, but also demonstrates how anglers can help others by donating their ShareLunkers for breeding purposes. Mr. Wicker can tip his hat to Mr. Reid for making this moment possible!

#ToyotaShareLunker

Do you work for TPWD or have any business ties with them? It seems no matter what they say, do or survey they release, you are in love with whatever they say. What's the special meaning of this fish having a partial genetic gene from another fish. Heck, how many fry does a bass have every year and it's happened 2 or 3 now in a billion years. The program is a joke, but if it is truly tax free money (doubtful), then whatever..waste away.

No, I do not work for TP&W. No, I do not have a business relationship with TP&W. The Texas state record for largemouth bass was 13 pounds and 8 ounces caught at Medina Lake in 1943. How many fish over 13.5 pounds have been caught thanks to TP&W selective breeding and stocking and how many lakes have given up larger fish since TP&W started breeding and stocking large mouth bass? That record speaks for itself. Look at how many lakes and water bodies TP&W manages, then add the saltwater management and then try to convince me TP&W is not doing a great job.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: NoWeighers] #12100083 02/18/17 04:38 AM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: NoWeighers
Fouz.. I am going to have to disagree with you on one point.. The city of Athens contributed 4 to 5 million to the construction of the TFFC.. Last time I checked, cities get their revenue from the citizens and that indeed was taxpayer monies..

James, I'll always welcome a healthy debate. I've been proven wrong many times before. Learned a helluva lot in the process. This may be fouz's mockingbird mouth overloading his humminbird arse. Once again.

The "Athens community" doesn't mean the tax base, in a literal sense. The funds came from BIG landowners in the area. Most of them old time oil money from Highland Park and the east Texas oil fields. Some of the same folks that are founding members of Koon Kreek Klub.

The state of art fisheries facilities in Athens are named after Edwin L. Cox for a reason. And it isn't taxpayer dollars, amigo. If Athens gave anything directly, it was undeveloped city property which has long since been depreciated off their balance sheet.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/sharelunker/history/

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: 1WithTXFish] #12100089 02/18/17 04:53 AM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
ChuChu, the 1943 state record was a Northern Strain Largemouth. Every single giant largemouth bass caught since November of 1986 have one thing in common, and it's not the SAL program, selective breeding or anything other than alleles. Specifically alleles from pure, Florida largemouth bass. Those came from Bob Kemp in 1974. Everything else since is window dressing.

We (state) can buy pure florida LMB. Many more than we can raise for the same $. Why don't we? noidea

Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: 1WithTXFish] #12100092 02/18/17 04:54 AM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Chu, they manage some areas better than others. South and Central Texas are not taken care of very well, maybe that's why I don't feel the love for them that you do. Your area might be better taken care of.

Something else and I'm most likely in the minority here, but I go fishing to go fishing, I don't have to have every bass in the lake be a Florida strain. I'm just fine catching northern strain, in fact we all know they floridas are hard to catch in colder weather. I want easy dumb fish to catch, stock more of the dumb fish.

Last edited by grout-scout; 02/18/17 05:00 AM.
Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: 1WithTXFish] #12100101 02/18/17 05:05 AM
W
Weltonio Offline
Angler
Angler
W
This reminds me of a political debate. One side wants the bass to have the freedom to make it on their own. The other side thinks it's best to take the offspring and distribute it to the less fortunate lakes.
Just kidding... kind of. I realize that a majority of the offspring go back to the original lake. As well as the fish.

"Hello Invasive Species Goodbye Fishing Hole"
CLEAN YOUR BOAT!!!
http://www.texasinvasives.org/action/spreadword.php
Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: fouzman] #12100185 02/18/17 12:00 PM
matt williams Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
Originally Posted By: fouzman
ChuChu, the 1943 state record was a Northern Strain Largemouth. Every single giant largemouth bass caught since November of 1986 have one thing in common, and it's not the SAL program, selective breeding or anything other than alleles. Specifically alleles from pure, Florida largemouth bass. Those came from Bob Kemp in 1974. Everything else since is window dressing.

We (state) can buy pure florida LMB. Many more than we can raise for the same $. Why don't we? noidea

This is an excerpt from a story titled "Stock Market" I did for the March 2017 issue of Texas Fish and Game Magazine.

"No one can deny that Kemp knocked a home run by bringing Florida bass to Texas at a time when the state was teeming with robust, new reservoirs. Interestingly, however, the Kemp bass may not have been the very first Floridas introduced to Texas waters. In fact, scientists discovered through genetics testing in the early 1990s that Florida bass may have arrived in Texas decades earlier.
The evidence surfaced after TPWD biologists obtained scale samples from the original skin mount of the former 13.50 pound state record bass that was caught from Lake Medina way back in 1943.
According to Todd Engeling, TPWD's freshwater hatchery chief, the analysis showed that there was some level of Florida influence in the Medina fish and that the bass presumably found its way to in the 5,400-acre Hill Country reservoir via an "undocumented" private stocking."
Very interesting. Not many people are aware of this. I certainly wasn't until I dug into the story. You can read the full story in the Feb. 2017 issue of Texas Fish and Game.

Re: TXPW ShareLunker breeding program might be working [Re: 1WithTXFish] #12100195 02/18/17 12:22 PM
N
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
The Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center is an $18 million facility built without the use of state funds even though it belongs to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, an agency of the state of Texas. Many public and private entities worked with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Foundation to raise this money.
Much of the money came from the Sport Fish and Wildlife Restoration Fund, a federal program funded by a tax on purchases made by hunters and anglers. The City of Athens provided a financial package worth $4,063,000, the largest single gift ever made to a conservation project in the state of Texas. Additional support came from the ShareLunker Foundation, Inc., the Athens Municipal Water Authority, the Athens Economic Development Commission and a number of private corporations.

Call it what you want.. But if it came from a government entity, a municipality, or the or the Sport Fish Resto fund, then it is tax payer money.. You can call it what you want.. But that is just spin to me..

IMHO..

James Bendele
Falcon Lake Tackle
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide