Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,040,675
Posts13,985,472
Members144,242
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Newbie Fishing Port Aransas this weekend, tips wanted #12055652 01/23/17 05:59 PM
T
TaylorSATX Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
My buddy from highschool is coming down this weekend (Fri/Sat, 27/28th) and we are going to be heading to Port Aransas. I have fished there on the beach and from the jetty and also from the pier. I've never had much luck except for one exceptional weekend years ago fishing in the surf with frozen shrimp. I was thinking about renting some surf rods and doing fishing in the surf again, but really we are just wanting to catch some fish. We are totally open to fishing anywhere near Port A using lures, live bait or anything that will give us the best chance at landing some fish. I am experienced with a cast net and usually do well catching bait in the surf.

Having said all that, where should we fish and how?

Thanks,
Taylor

Re: Newbie Fishing Port Aransas this weekend, tips wanted [Re: TaylorSATX] #12055997 01/23/17 08:43 PM
P
parttime Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Ever thought about hiring a guide? (I am not one). It would increase you chance of catching, and you can learn from them as well.

Parttime (John)
Follow me on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/c/AJOutdoors1
Re: Newbie Fishing Port Aransas this weekend, tips wanted [Re: parttime] #12056041 01/23/17 09:07 PM
T
TaylorSATX Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
I have thought about it, but this little trip is more about us fishing off the beach/jetty/pier hanging out, drinking a few beers and hopefully catching a few fish. Not really wanting to go out with a guide on a boat. I have looked into the cost and we don't really want to pay ~$300 for a day of guided fishing (that's about what I've seen for most guide services, $150/each)

Basically looking for pointers on location/bait/tactics. I've mainly fished down there during the summer months and I was thinking the fishing might be a little different this time of year.

Re: Newbie Fishing Port Aransas this weekend, tips wanted [Re: TaylorSATX] #12060147 01/26/17 02:10 AM
L
Lindsey Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Target specific species with appropriate tackle. Pompano and whiting should be in the surf right now. Shrimp flavored Fishbites might be very effective on light tackle and small hooks.

Black drum should be in the channels right now. The jetties and channel piers like Charlie's Pasture and the coast guard pier are places I would go. Use halved or quartered blue crab on big Carolina rigs. 30 lb mono or flouro leaders, 2 oz sinkers, and 8/0 circle hooks. Big surf rods with at least 20 lb test main line on a big spinning reel.

Gafftop catfish should be another good bet. Squid/shrimp on the bottom with double drops and 4/0 circle hooks on medium gear should get the job done. Get a pier drop net. They're green and sold as crab nets at tbe Academy in Corpus. Attach a 25 foot rope. The end of the CP pier should be hot action for big gafftops right now.

Good luck.

I'm not a chick.
Re: Newbie Fishing Port Aransas this weekend, tips wanted [Re: Lindsey] #12060483 01/26/17 11:10 AM
B
Bill Gary Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Very helpful info. Just what I'm looking for as a newby surfishing addict.

Re: Newbie Fishing Port Aransas this weekend, tips wanted [Re: TaylorSATX] #12060606 01/26/17 01:36 PM
TOO Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Lindsey offers some excellent suggestions & pointers, except IMO Gafftop, Jan-Feb is too early for Gaffies to be inshore, maybe in the surf if extended warm weather.Water temps showing low/mid 60's right now. Otherwise some good info.

Also; from FFCB:
Winter
Winter is perhaps both the easiest and the hardest season for fishing the coastal Bend. Generally the weather is mild, somewhat less humid and less crowded. Cold wind, rain etc, can happen make the fishing miserable, but often you can find mild weather to fish.
The most common fish species in the winter from the official start of winter in December to the first day of spring in March in the general order of catchability include:
Sheepshead
Black drum
Red drum
Gulf Whiting
Pompano
Speckled trout
Flounder

Overall the best locations for fishing in the winter are along the jetties, then the channels, and rock walls, bulkheads, etc. followed by the surf, the piers, and then lastly the flats and open waters.

Everything is water temperature & weather condition dependent of course.
Good luck

Re: Newbie Fishing Port Aransas this weekend, tips wanted [Re: Lindsey] #12061365 01/26/17 06:57 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Lindsey
Target specific species with appropriate tackle. Pompano and whiting should be in the surf right now. Shrimp flavored Fishbites might be very effective on light tackle and small hooks.

Black drum should be in the channels right now. The jetties and channel piers like Charlie's Pasture and the coast guard pier are places I would go. Use halved or quartered blue crab on big Carolina rigs. 30 lb mono or flouro leaders, 2 oz sinkers, and 8/0 circle hooks. Big surf rods with at least 20 lb test main line on a big spinning reel.

Solid Post Lindsy!

As for the Gaffies.. they might be in the surf right now.. before this big wind event, the bay temps were approaching April temperatures. There's a lot of season between now and april, so let's not get ahead of ourserlves, but the gulf is also warmer that it usually is this time of year and there might be a gaffy or two there due to the warm trend.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Newbie Fishing Port Aransas this weekend, tips wanted [Re: TaylorSATX] #12061630 01/26/17 09:42 PM
T
TaylorSATX Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Thank you all for the fantastic advice! Looks like I'll be fishing the jetty and/or pier. I'll try everything listed until we can sort something out.

One last thing... It looks like it will be raining on Saturday. Bummer. But I plan to still give it a go. Should I change any of the above tactics if fishing in the rain?

Thanks!!
Taylor

Re: Newbie Fishing Port Aransas this weekend, tips wanted [Re: TaylorSATX] #12063318 01/27/17 10:19 PM
G
Grinder55 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Deep channels and drop-offs of the ICW might put ya on some good redfish action in that area.

Re: Newbie Fishing Port Aransas this weekend, tips wanted [Re: TaylorSATX] #12066854 01/30/17 02:20 PM
T
TaylorSATX Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Quick update - we spent a couple hours fishing Saturday night in the cold/wind and only caught two Gaftops. We called it a night and came back in the morning. We had a blast Sunday, however we didn't catch any of the species we were actually targeting. We are now experts in catching stingrays, blowfish and piggy perch.

There were literally dozens of dolphins in the area for most of the day. Is this a good or bad thing? Or do they even affect the fishing?

We are ready to plan our next trip and had a blast catching lots of stuff but next time we'd like to be able to catch game species.

Taylor

Re: Newbie Fishing Port Aransas this weekend, tips wanted [Re: TaylorSATX] #12067455 01/30/17 06:33 PM
T
TXMako2201 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Stingray is actually really good to eat. Not the most prestigious catch.. you wont catch me skinning mine at the local fish station

Dolphins in the area means there's fish - they particularly like reds, but they can chase them out of the area pretty quick.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide