Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: C.J] #11804171 08/30/16 01:59 PM
Barrett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: C.J
I have a Z520c probably one of the best fishing platforms I've been in. The boat will run 68-73 loaded yes you'll run faster in a cat but when it all comes down to its how a boat fishes right? Both are great boats don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

I love my 520C... When I fish out of a bass cat I feel like I'm casting off of a jet ski.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: Barrett] #11804246 08/30/16 02:40 PM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Barrett
I have a Z520c probably one of the best fishing platforms I've been in. The boat will run 68-73 loaded yes you'll run faster in a cat but when it all comes down to its how a boat fishes right? Both are great boats don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

I love my 520C... When I fish out of a bass cat I feel like I'm casting off of a jet ski.

I love mybasscat...When I fish out of a Ranger I feel like I'm running down the lake in a model A

Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: Ranger1] #11804278 08/30/16 03:00 PM
RedRanger Offline
burro desagradable
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: Ranger1

I love mybasscat...When I fish out of a Ranger I feel like I'm running down the lake in a model A

Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: West Texas FX] #11804427 08/30/16 04:29 PM
bccougar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Isn't a Ranger just a glorified Nitro now that BPS bought them out? Now let the Butt Hurt begin!

www.anglersprotackle.com -Anglers Pro Tackle Pro staff
www.doublezzcustomlures.com -Double ZZ Custom Lures
www.mercurymarine.com -Mercury Pro Staff
www.power-pole.com -Power-Pole Pro Staff
www.midwestmarineonline.com -Midwest Marine

Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: Ranger1] #11804695 08/30/16 06:57 PM
Barrett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

73 for me is plenty fast for me... I do have a funny bass cat story. I told a guy at the ramp that had an 18 foot bass cat that his boat look nice and had really been keeping good care over the years. I asked him how old it was and he told me he got it yesterday. If they would just change out the dang windshields they wouldn't look like they are from the 90's.... they just look ugly to me. My partner still has one and we fish out of it often I just prefer the other.

Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: West Texas FX] #11804741 08/30/16 07:21 PM
M
McLovin’ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
I run a Cat, dad fishes out of a Skeeter, tournament partners have Ranger and a Lengend...and we fish out of all of them during the year in all kinds of weather conditions.
Each has a different hull design and pros/cons... any one of them can ride like hell if the driver is not experienced with jackplate, trim and throttle.
Just because someone is a dealer doesn't mean they know how to handle a high performance boat
None of these rigs should ride rough in little 2 footers?

I'd say we're all blessed to be in any of these boats and get to do what we all love to do...waste a lot of money each year chasing little green fish.

Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: McLovin’] #11804764 08/30/16 07:33 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Mudbone
I run a Cat, dad fishes out of a Skeeter, tournament partners have Ranger and a Lengend...and we fish out of all of them during the year in all kinds of weather conditions.
Each has a different hull design and pros/cons... any one of them can ride like hell if the driver is not experienced with jackplate, trim and throttle.
Just because someone is a dealer doesn't mean they know how to handle a high performance boat
None of these rigs should ride rough in little 2 footers?

I'd say we're all blessed to be in any of these boats and get to do what we all love to do...waste a lot of money each year chasing little green fish.

That pretty well sums up my thoughts too. Be grateful you can afford any of them. Each one can get you where you're going and will help you catch fish. Bet Fishvibes would be tickled to have one or even ride in yours.
popcorn

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: West Texas FX] #11804843 08/30/16 08:13 PM
J
JPost Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I own a Puma FTD (FTD is a better layout than a Puma IMO). When you look at the front decks make sure you look at the bow end of each. The Puma's trolling motor pedal is way up front which makes for more usable bow space than boats with the pedal farther back. Some people don't like the pedal as forward but I think it's great -- I love being as far up front as possible when flipping and pitching.

I'm sorry, but anyone saying a BassCat is a terrible riding boat has got to be putting us on or has no experience in Bass boats. I'm not going to say they're the best (they might be however) but I will say they are as solid and soft riding as anything out there.

Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: JPost] #11807313 09/01/16 04:49 AM
D
dimitri Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: JPost
I own a Puma FTD (FTD is a better layout than a Puma IMO). When you look at the front decks make sure you look at the bow end of each. The Puma's trolling motor pedal is way up front which makes for more usable bow space than boats with the pedal farther back. Some people don't like the pedal as forward but I think it's great -- I love being as far up front as possible when flipping and pitching.

I'm sorry, but anyone saying a BassCat is a terrible riding boat has got to be putting us on or has no experience in Bass boats. I'm not going to say they're the best (they might be however) but I will say they are as solid and soft riding as anything out there.

i have a 2010 puma now and owned 3 champions prior. there are a few things i dont like about the puma but the ride aint one of em! but honestly i cant compare it to ranger becsuse i have only been in 1 and it was a 19 footer with a 200.

Marine Electronics Installation
[by appointment only in Azle, Texas]
Graphs, Trolling Motors & Battery Chargers
Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: West Texas FX] #11808841 09/02/16 03:30 AM
B
BCB Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Hmm? New ownership and wait and see, not really wait and see though that's alright. We are well past wait and see and we are pretty transparent.

First, we want to say on TFF how excited we are to see the Bassmasters Classic, on Conroe, in Houston this March. We are pulling out all stops for this and we want to see all of the TFF and Bass Boat Central crowd there. We are going to work hard to do something special there. This, we think, will be by far the largest Bassmasters Classic ever.

Otherwise, Well... we are half way into our second year with the new transition and things are clicking along very well. We made the choice we did for many reasons. Every day the staff here functions and operates almost just like we did before. I am still the President and still make those decisions that I made prior. My term of commitment to the group was a 10 year stretch and when that time comes we can see where things are. In about eight or nine (8 to 9) years we will see where things are and make the decisions we need to.

As far as changes, I hired a new CPA to replace my sister, my brother-in-law exited to his own business just before this. I added a new National Sales Manager, we moved Ivan over to Yar-Craft brand manager and he has some in house Bass Cat dealers. I replaced the previous Parts & Service Manager with Lisa Jones and moved things around a bit. Otherwise we have exactly the same staff in all management areas. We have gained some financial support and the CC group added some administration staff, which really does help us and the other outside companies. As a total family company we used outside staff before.

Mom and Dad (Ron & Jan Pierce) are totally out and aging as gracefully with 80's as anyone can. Their shares were sold to the Correct Craft (CC) company, which also owns Nautique. Function wise things are the same way we ran it for decades. We have a stronger budget in areas, are more focused on growth and we have increased our dealer support. This move gave Mom & Dad an exit plan, in about ten years it gives me an exit plan as I age further and time to train staff. It secures the company for those who have dedicated their lives to building Bass Cat Boats (45 years) and now Yar-Craft Boats.

In Bass Boats we earned the last five (5) consecutive Best In Customer Service awards given by JD Power and Associates. That is where we met Bill Yeargin of CC, and Nautique. Nautique holds EVERY single JD Power award, nine (9) total, for the wake board and tow boat industry. They always wanted our first chair in #1 position, as the best in customer service for the entire Marine Industry. Over those years they (Nautique) were always in the Top 5. Others in the Top 5 consistently were Cobalt and Grady-White.

As for CC, it allows each company to run on it's own as independent and the corporate structure is there through them, though not internally a major challenge. We make all decisions here of any product and materials for the boats and not one thing has been compromised. Correct Craft is very focused on customer service and wants each brand to be the best product and most innovative in their industry, and chose what they felt were industry leaders in their segments. Not once in these 18 months has there been a question to cut quality or impact pricing, they want better, not cheaper. They have given us no input on how to price boats or build programs. Their support has been a tailwind, not a head wind.

The 1st to join Nautique at CC was Aktion Parks, an overhead attraction in a tow cable ski/wake company outside Orlando and now park #2 is in Miami. The 2nd company to join CC was PCM (Pleasure Craft Marine- http://www.pcmengines.com/) which builds engines for many tow boats, Bass Cat was the third (3rd) along with the company I bought, which is Yar-Craft. After our transition the sister company of Centurion & Supreme in California was added. And the last company is now SeaArk in Monticello, AR, which is a premier aluminum boat. All are leaders in their segment in a variety of ways and all are Premium products.

Each of our companies operates independent of the others, with no crossover in operations. We each run independent other than to help our sister companies. There are no rebates, loyalty discounts, or bonuses for being a dealer with multiple brands from CC and no other joined interest. We each stand on our own.

The plan is on track to continue and build Bass Cat just as we have for over 45 years, and the only thing we've beena sked is how we make it better. Pretty nice to hear that from your board of directors.

That should answer it all again.

Hope to see many of you on Conroe and at the Classic in Houston!

Rick Pierce, President
Bass Cat & Yar-Craft Boats

PS: The other question we hear is whether SeaArk will now build a Bass Cat aluminum bass boat, and that presently is not in the cards. We both have enough concepts to keep us busy the next 2 or 3 years and then we will revisit that thought. Their present order backlog is about 6 months.

BCB
Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: West Texas FX] #11808854 09/02/16 03:41 AM
Team Skeeterless Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
^^^ I have no dog in the hunt but this above is exactly why I respect BCB so much!! Name another boat manufacturer who's president is this in touch and responsive to the public!! Both are great boat options and I truly agree spend time when winds blowing some in each and make your decision. Can't really go wrong in either!

Nick Larsen
Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: Barrett] #11808855 09/02/16 03:44 AM
T
TDR2 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

73 for me is plenty fast for me... I do have a funny bass cat story. I told a guy at the ramp that had an 18 foot bass cat that his boat look nice and had really been keeping good care over the years. I asked him how old it was and he told me he got it yesterday. If they would just change out the dang windshields they wouldn't look like they are from the 90's.... they just look ugly to me. My partner still has one and we fish out of it often I just prefer the other.

Wow. You are right. That is SO funny!!!!

Last edited by TdRoss; 09/02/16 04:19 AM.

P1
Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: West Texas FX] #11809523 09/02/16 06:19 PM
T
TxRanger1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I have owned one Ranger in my life. I purchased it new in 1990. That was the last boat I purchased and is still the boat I fish out of now. When you ask about comparisons, no one knows what you are wanting to compare. I have a couple of buddies that have BC's and they seem to be a fine boat but they are still somewhat new boats. I don't know anyone that has a 26 year old Bass Cat to compare it to. The Evinrude on mine is the original motor that was on it too.

Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: West Texas FX] #11809872 09/02/16 10:54 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: West Texas FX
I have narrowed my decision down to either a Ranger Z520c or Basscat Puma?
Would like to hear what you guys think of each

Bass Cat is now owned by Correct Craft and Ranger is owned by Bass Pro, so neither is overseen by someone with a stake in it like Forrest Wood or the Pierces. They are both good boats so
I would say you should make your choice on personal preference. I've had both and both are

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: Ranger or Basscat [Re: TxRanger1] #11809896 09/02/16 11:28 PM
J
Jaredk Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: TxRanger1
they are still somewhat new boats. I don't know anyone that has a 26 year old Bass Cat to compare it to. The Evinrude on mine is the original motor that was on it too.

Huh???

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide