Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11804839 08/30/16 08:11 PM
RO519 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Originally Posted By: RO519
I've got a birthday coming up and i keep dropping subtle hints to my wife that I really want a Garmin Forerunner 230 with the chest strap HR monitor.

I think that watch is just for running? Is that correct?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-230/prod523893.html

Get you a Tri watch...since you do it all.

910xt, 920xt, Fenix 3HR

It is primarily a running watch, but also as a cycling function. I would love a fenix, but its a bit outside our budget for a watch. I'm not crazy about the styling of the 910/920 either. A co-worker has one and it is very bulky on his wrist.

Fightin' Texas Aggie '14

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11804842 08/30/16 08:13 PM
RO519 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
My Claris group set just isn't cutting it.

What is your main complaint about it? Just curious....since I never tried one.

It isn't very smooth shifting, and is very jumpy when you do shift. It is from the lower end of the shimano spectrum and you can feel the difference. I was riding a friends Cannondale with 105 components and it was night and day difference.

Fightin' Texas Aggie '14

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Nocona Brian] #11805106 08/30/16 11:24 PM
Kingfisher196 Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
[/quote] [quote=NoconaBrian]Hey Kingfisher, have you gone on here and seen how you did?
http://www.cadencesports.com/results.php

I was 256 overall in the 100k, 14 out of 42 in my division and 222 out 8 or 900 ish males

Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: RO519] #11805719 08/31/16 12:17 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I've got a birthday coming up and i keep dropping subtle hints to my wife that I really want a Garmin Forerunner 230 with the chest strap HR monitor.

I think that watch is just for running? Is that correct?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-230/prod523893.html

Get you a Tri watch...since you do it all.

910xt, 920xt, Fenix 3HR

It is primarily a running watch, but also as a cycling function. I would love a fenix, but its a bit outside our budget for a watch. I'm not crazy about the styling of the 910/920 either. A co-worker has one and it is very bulky on his wrist.

Since you swim, I figured you want a watch to track it too? I will not wear the 910 daily....just for working out. I got small wrist. Fenix is the size of a diving watch Oreo size..I tried it on. All of them look big on me...I wanted to wear one daily, but realized I don't really want it all the time....my job would damage the watch most likely and get in my way, so I wear a Vivofit2 for daily use.

I have weighed these options for about 3 months...I've been all over the place. Originally I wanted the VivoHR like Kingfisher. No Tri mode or open water swim was deal breaker....and size didn't look right on me.

910 reminds me of the watches of the 80s...lol...it ain't cool...just functional. Easy to read. Some big time riders here in town still use theirs....and they can afford nicer if they wanted.

Food for thoughts..lol...3 months worth. smile I only changed my mind a dozen times. Money, specs of watch, and size was my factors. Money mainly..lol. I found a hella deal from a guy locally...otherwise I still be dreaming. I get it this week, so hopefully I can report back soon.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: RO519] #11805727 08/31/16 12:23 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B

It isn't very smooth shifting, and is very jumpy when you do shift. It is from the lower end of the shimano spectrum and you can feel the difference. I was riding a friends Cannondale with 105 components and it was night and day difference.

Interesting. I wonder if your tuned up right? I know my buddy with a Scott bike and lesser comps, out pedals me everytime....and he never had an issue when we ride....nothing like my problems. Makes me wonder!!!! smile

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Kingfisher196] #11805730 08/31/16 12:26 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I needed a dork disk again last night....chain jumped again and locked in hub(thank goodness I was barely moving). I think I realized the issue...when in lowest gear the chain is at an angle...any back pedal and the chain will jump and lock up...only in 1st gear...larges back ring, smallest front ring.

Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Kingfisher196] #11805875 08/31/16 01:53 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Kingfisher196
[/quote] [quote=NoconaBrian]Hey Kingfisher, have you gone on here and seen how you did?
http://www.cadencesports.com/results.php

I was 256 overall in the 100k, 14 out of 42 in my division and 222 out 8 or 900 ish males

That's pretty good!
I don't know if the overall includes women in the hundred but I finished 1328 out of either 2939 or 3541, and 56 out of 132 in my division.

I needed a dork disk again last night....chain jumped again and locked in hub(thank goodness I was barely moving). I think I realized the issue...when in lowest gear the chain is at an angle...any back pedal and the chain will jump and lock up...only in 1st gear...larges back ring, smallest front ring.

Have you gone through and cleaned/lubed everything really good? It kind of seems like it's getting hung up probably going through the derailer and kind of backlashing over. No kinks or bent links in the chain or a bent tooth or something on that biggest sprocket?

I really think alot of issues can be attributed to dirty/worn out parts or things not being adjusted properly. I know when I put a new chain on my old bike it completely changed it, went from riding a noisy thing that was hard to pedal to a bike that was quite as a mouse.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11806151 08/31/16 04:14 PM
Kingfisher196 Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru

That sounds odd, that usually happens when you're cross chained, small to small and/or big to big. You might check the alignment of your derailers. My rear one was a little bent once and the chain was always jumping.

Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Kingfisher196] #11806311 08/31/16 05:48 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I greased the chain. It did bend the chain in the Beauty and Beast ride, but the bike shop owner straightened it(wrapped up so tight between wheel and gear). It's only doing that on the back big gear, when you back pedal...I don't know why back pedaling causes it...but it jumps to the smaller gear and wraps up, detailer folds up. The angle is pretty severe in that 1st gear.

It seems flawless otherwise....any other gear you can back pedal and no issue.

I need to figure out what that missing screw is...to me it doesn't look like it does anything....but female threads are clean...like a screw used to be there. I'm sure I could have rattled it out on the Beauty and Beast ride since most of the roads were black top oil roads....rough as hell.

I saw the one screw and turned it, but I couldn't figure out what it does. I adjusted the cable tension. Nothing seemed to fix it.

Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: RO519] #11806343 08/31/16 06:06 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted by RO519
Originally Posted by Bass_Bustin_Texan
Originally Posted by RO519

You might check out this video...I learned something. Ready to go home and check the bike now!

Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Kingfisher196] #11806385 08/31/16 06:25 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B

And for the front adjustments. Minute 4 I found interesting and the last thing he says is also apparently my issue...shifting in the middle of the hill. I need to prepare better.

I was wondering about that half shift/click too....I thought I had an alignment issue, but apparently it's just Shimano.

Been meaning to watch those videos for a month now! hammer

Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Kingfisher196] #11806419 08/31/16 06:43 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Since it's only doing it when you back pedal, I'd think you have it adjusted right, but I suppose if it's off just a few mm's that might be enough to make a difference. Have you got down eye level and rotated everything really slow to check for something out of wack? It could be just one link sticking that's causing it.

I've turned into a stickler for a clean chain, and think if you start there, you can eliminate problems. Take something like simple green in a squirt bottle and a small wire brush to your chain and rear cassette. If you take the wheel of and lean it over where the cassette is facing the ground and soak it all real good so the de-greaser doesn't go back into the hub, and get that and the chain shining where when you touch it, no black comes off. Then see what you can do with the pulleys/bearings on the derailer so they spin just as easy as possible, and then lube it all back up and see if it still does it. If it doesn't fix it, then atleast you'll be working with clean parts when it's time to start adjusting things.
2cents

Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Kingfisher196] #11806427 08/31/16 06:46 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I've been all over that last video for a few weeks now. Had hell getting my front derailer adjusted just right. It'd work perfect in the garage, but as soon as I got on it, my weight would be just enough to stretch the cables and cause it to either not shift up, or over shift. Got it pretty close now.

Mine only does the half click on the big chainwheel to get it back in line so you can go up the the taller gears on the rear.

Last edited by NoconaBrian; 08/31/16 06:49 PM.

Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Kingfisher196] #11806430 08/31/16 06:47 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Good to know about Simple Green, I couldn't afford the $16 dollar can of bike degreaser. Yeah, I am that broke!! frown

What lube do you use?

I saw a deal where you tape two toothbrushes brush to brush...then place chain between it and turn pedals. Looks NIFTY!! I told my wife to save our old toothbrushes....but I'm still waiting on that! smile

Re: Hotter Than Hell [Re: Nocona Brian] #11806434 08/31/16 06:49 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian
I've been all over that last video for a few weeks now. Had hell getting my front derailer adjusted just right. It'd work perfect in the garage, but as soon as I got on it, my weight would be just enough to stretch the cables and cause it to either not shift up, or over shift. Got it pretty close now.

Comment says, "Looks easy on the videos but when you actually starts doing it, it's like launching a missile."

LOL, that's about how I felt after watching that video.... breakdance

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide