Forums59
Topics1,039,376
Posts13,963,558
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: Fishing Guide Chad Petrie] #11721320 07/13/16 10:37 PM
M
MilesHunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: TrapCaster
Originally Posted By: TexExp
Originally Posted By: texashelms
Originally Posted By: TroyKing
I took my son fishing one evening last year... we were in a hurry to launch the boat and grab some burgers we had called in before the Marina closed. When the boat was launched we picked up the burgers and went fishing...two hours later a storm blows up and we are racing to the launch...lo and behold there is my truck waiting for me at the ramp... I had never parked it. It was still running...fortunately there were two other ramps... All I could do was shake my head and feel stupid.

Like a boss!!! Best one yet, lol

+1 The winner!
Greatness!

Beat me too it... For the win!

+1 We've all left the plug out, but this... This is pure gold!

Bravo clap

Miles
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11721390 07/13/16 11:29 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Forgot to undo the straps and/or remove the Lock N Stow a couple of times. Missed the trailer stop block in my shop. Its amazing how clean a stainless prop will cut metal. Forgot to take the trailer light plug off the tow vehicle.

I was sober when I did all these.

Gman

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11721403 07/13/16 11:44 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
...Left the rear straps on once, forgot the plug once and got to fishing site before realizing it and bilge pump was broken. Luckily if you cruise at a moderate speed with the plug out it will suck the water right out of the boat, when it was empty I pulled into shallow water and put plug in.

The worst was as a teenager I borrowed Dad's year old 2WD truck and took the boat with a friend to a small lake with only a mud/dirt ramp. Backed boat in with friend in boat, straps off and plug in, friend started motor but boat wasn't deep enough to pull off so I backed in further being careful not to get rear wheels in the water, hopped out and pushed front of boat while he backed.....but the boat truck and trailer all moved back eeks didn't get it all the way into park! As it was rolling into the water I jumped into cab and slammed on the brakes, tried to pull out but tires just spun. Friend loaded boat back on trailer and pushed with boat motor while I drove truck and luckily it came out. We strapped it down and went back home.....Dad still doesn't know about this 45 years later rolleyes

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: TroyKing] #11721411 07/13/16 11:49 PM
D
DavisGuideService Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: TroyKing
I took my son fishing one evening last year... we were in a hurry to launch the boat and grab some burgers we had called in before the Marina closed. When the boat was launched we picked up the burgers and went fishing...two hours later a storm blows up and we are racing to the launch...lo and behold there is my truck waiting for me at the ramp... I had never parked it. It was still running...fortunately there were two other ramps... All I could do was shake my head and feel stupid.

greatness, this will be tuff to beat!

Davis Guide Service
www.DavisGuide.com
817-983-8750
James Davis
Lake Whitney- Striper-white bass-Crappie
https://www.facebook.com/Davis-Guide-Service-159521764704170/
Mr.Crappie Pro Team
www.mrcrappie.com
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11721415 07/13/16 11:51 PM
jp24 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Bunch 'a rookies. Until you've fully submerged you tow vehicle in the lake at the ramp, you simply ain't in the Big Leagues.

Yes. I. Did. That.

Was backing my Bass Tracker into Fayette County Lake with my hitch-equipped Chevy Caprice (I was poor and in the Navy). Backed it down, put it in park, got out ... and watched it roll down the ramp until it was completely submerged.

To this day I can't explain how I was able to get out of the car without being knocked over by the door. So I console myself that it must've slipped out of Park. But only a little -- because I obviously didn't set the parking brake.

Good outcome though! Bought my first truck with the insurance proceeds and have never driven a car since.

Thanks for the reminding me of that. I think.

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11721433 07/14/16 12:02 AM
S
sfotw Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I bought a used 1985 Toyota 4x4 and didn't really check it out before deciding to head to the lake. Got to the ramp, backed down, jumped out and discovered the parking brakes didn't hold too well. And that the transmission would pop out of gear. Started yelling "Help!" while I was pushing on the bumper and barely keeping the truck out of water. Couple of good old boys showed up, laughed for a minute then helped me out.
Turns out the cables for the parking brake were rusted solid, the pads were done and the clutch was ready to go. And it needed a front main seal. Took a weekend of work to fix and I ended up putting another 100k on that truck before it rusted out.

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11721524 07/14/16 01:08 AM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Hell I got you all beat.

At the age of 17 or 18 years old, I was running limb lines for catfish on a river.

My future BIL was in town for Easter along with all the other family.

I had a 14' V bottom aluminum boat that I hand loaded in the bed of my truck that was powered by a 9.9 Evinrude, that I mounted to the boat once I had the boat in the water. (Hint)

My future BIL (aka a city slicker) said he always wanted to go fishing and asked if he could ride along with me to check my lines. Sure, lets go.

At the river with the boat in the water and loaded up with bait and gear to run the lines, up stream we went.

Somewhere along the way up stream I saw a brand new spinnerbait hanging from a tree limb 5 feet or so above the water, I told my BIL that we would stop and get that spinnerbait on our way back. We continued upstream to run limb lines. We finished running the lines and were headed back.

Running down stream wide open and not paying attention I ran past the spinnerbait that was hanging from the limb, I jerked the motor 90 degrees hard left to do a U turn in the river, this is when all hell broke loose and so did the 9.9 Evinrude. I never hand tighten the motor to the boat and off she went. The motor was leaning at a 30 degree angle and was doing donuts right behind the boat! The fuel line from the portable gas tank finally pulled loose after about 3 or 5 donuts and she was running wild.

Now the motor is doing free style donuts getting lower to the waters surface behind the boat and actually pass us twice before I had the bright ideal to grab ahold of it as it passed by on its next pass (it is stilling running wide open at this point). I grabbed ahold and lost my grip when I saw the prop surface. Once I let loose, down she went, only to see a few smoke bubbles surface.

We were a mile or better from the truck at this point and I told my future BIL, I have to dive down to try to find the motor. I jumped in, went down and found it resting on the bottom on the 1st try. I surfaced to get a breath of air and back down I went. This time when I surfaced I had my arms extended with the motor above my head only to see my future BIL setting in the center of the boat and in shock I guess, he was not offering any help to get the motor back into the boat and I about drown before I threw it over the side.

Anyways I was able to get the motor back on the boat and the fuel line repaired, I tried to get her pull started but, the cylinder was full of water and she wouldn't budge, after several tries the water cleared the cylinder and she eventually started up, we were on our way to the truck again.

On the ride home in the truck, future BIL only asked me one question.

"Does this happen all the time, when you go fishing?"

I was still pisssed about him not helping, so I didn't answer.

We got home and he ran into the house screaming "you are not going to believe what happened"

I should have killed him.

Fast foward 35+ years latter, still married to his sister and BIL and I are still fishing together. Ha.

Top That!

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11721700 07/14/16 03:10 AM
C
CoachTod Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I don't think I can beat SheCrappieKilla's story. I spit my beer all over the screen reading that one.

I have done the usual of leaving the plug out or the tie down straps on. The funniest story didn't happen to me, but to my family.

My grandparents had friends that they would go to Rayburn with most every Sunday to troll for large mouth back in the 70's. They would usually take two families and load up the deck boats. The wives would back the trailers down and the husbands would launch the boats. One time the friend's wife was backing the boat in and the husband kept yelling come on back, come on back, ... Boat was not coming off the trailer, so he probably had left the tie downs on. Husband proceeded to yell come on back getting more and more agitated, so the wife got out of the car and left it in reverse sinking the car. Wife yells "is that back far enough you SOB"?

Last edited by CoachTod; 07/14/16 03:11 AM.
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: CoachTod] #11721716 07/14/16 03:24 AM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: CoachTod
I don't think I can beat SheCrappieKilla's story. I spit my beer all over the screen reading that one.

I have done the usual of leaving the plug out or the tie down straps on. The funniest story didn't happen to me, but to my family.

My grandparents had friends that they would go to Rayburn with most every Sunday to troll for large mouth back in the 70's. They would usually take two families and load up the deck boats. The wives would back the trailers down and the husbands would launch the boats. One time the friend's wife was backing the boat in and the husband kept yelling come on back, come on back, ... Boat was not coming off the trailer, so he probably had left the tie downs on. Husband proceeded to yell come on back getting more and more agitated, so the wife got out of the car and left it in reverse sinking the car. Wife yells "is that back far enough you SOB"?
roflmao roflmao roflmao

Bobby Barnett

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #11721813 07/14/16 08:13 AM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla
Hell I got you all beat.

At the age of 17 or 18 years old, I was running limb lines for catfish on a river.

I had a 14' V bottom aluminum boat that I hand loaded in the bed of my truck that was powered by a 9.9 Evinrude, that I mounted to the boat once I had the boat in the water. (Hint)

My future BIL (aka a city slicker) said he always wanted to go fishing and asked if he could ride along with me to check my lines. Sure, lets go.

At the river with the boat in the water and loaded up with bait and gear to run the lines, up stream we went.

Somewhere along the way up stream I saw a brand new spinnerbait hanging from a tree limb 5 feet or so above the water, I told my BIL that we would stop and get that spinnerbait on our way back. We continued upstream to run limb lines. We finished running the lines and were headed back.

Running down stream wide open and not paying attention I ran past the spinnerbait that was hanging from the limb, I jerked the motor 90 degrees hard left to do a U turn in the river, this is when all hell broke loose and so did the 9.9 Evinrude. I never hand tighten the motor to the boat and off she went. The motor was leaning at a 30 degree angle and was doing donuts right behind the boat! The fuel line from the portable gas tank finally pulled loose after about 3 or 5 donuts and she was running wild.

Now the motor is doing free style donuts getting lower to the waters surface behind the boat and actually pass us twice before I had the bright ideal to grab ahold of it as it passed by on its next pass (it is stilling running wide open at this point). I grabbed ahold and lost my grip when I saw the prop surface. Once I let loose, down she went, only to see a few smoke bubbles surface.

We were a mile or better from the truck at this point and I told my future BIL, I have to dive down to try to find the motor. I jumped in, went down and found it resting on the bottom on the 1st try. I surfaced to get a breath of air and back down I went. This time when I surfaced I had my arms extended with the motor above my head only to see my future BIL setting in the center of the boat and in shock I guess, he was not offering any help to get the motor back into the boat and I about drown before I threw it over the side.

Anyways I was able to get the motor back on the boat and the fuel line repaired, I tried to get her pull started but, the cylinder was full of water and she wouldn't budge, after several tries the water cleared the cylinder and she eventually started up, we were on our way to the truck again.

We got home and he ran into the house screaming "you are not going to believe what happened"

Fast foward 35+ years latter, still married to his sister and BIL and I are still fishing together. Ha.

Top That!

WTH man? I though you were the 2 pound master.

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11721985 07/14/16 01:00 PM
BlueNitro Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
A lot of good stories here so here is another one for you.

I was twenty when I bought my first boat (a Bayliner F/S w/Force outboard). Me and the wife decided to fish the north end of Elephant Butte Lake in NM which had a primitive ramp that was located 15 miles off the main road by way of a dirt/gravel feeder road. No trucks or trailers were around so I ready the boat and start backing into the water but cannot get deep enough to float the boat. Mind you, I'm in a 4X4 Ford Ranger that I had lifted over 12 inches, was running 38" Supper Swapper's and had a built 351 motor so was not overly worried about getting stuck but after getting the truck about 75 yards from the shoreline my better judgment (wife yelling in my ear coach ) gets the better of me so I decide to pull back to shore and re-evaluate the situation.

I decide to go to another ramp (Yes Dear wife) but decided that I didn't need to strap the back end of the boat because the winch rope (notice I said rope and not heavy-duty strap) is attached and we will be traveling back roads. Well, I'm about half way down the feeder road when I look in my side window mirror and notice the bow of the boat is peaking out from behind the trucks taillight hmmm because the winch rope had broke. I start slowing down to stop to check out the situation when I apparently slowed down enough for the skeg of the motor, which had been bouncing along the gravel road, to finally bite enough to pull my boat completely off the trailer and left it sitting squarely in the middle of the dirt road a good ten miles from the lake.

After a ton of cussing myself out (with the wife pitching in for good measure argue), I back the trailer up to the boat bow. I would have to load as much tension on the winch rope and then lift and shove the back of the boat to get it to scoot a couple of inches on the trailer at a time. After numerous attempts doing this and breaking the winch rope about ten times, I got the boat on the trailer enough that I could then back up to the road berm and shove the rest of the boat on by backing against the trimmed down motor. Well, I strapped that boat down with everything I had including some bailing wire and duct-tape and proceeded to the next ramp with no further issues.

What struck me after that whole ordeal was that I had taken so much carp for buying that boat (chopper boat, weak hulls, hit a stump and lower unit would shatter, etc.) that even after all I had put it through that morning, it floated with no leaks and the motor ran perfectly before I sold it to another family member that still uses it to this day. I did upgrade the winch strap though!!!

The two things I am grateful for is that I was young enough to muscle the boat back on the trailer and secondly, there were no camera phones back then.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #11722008 07/14/16 01:13 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla
Hell I got you all beat.

Top That!
hahaha...touch`e....that's a good one.

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11722041 07/14/16 01:34 PM
Duck_Jerky Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have definitely left the back 2 straps on, and forgot to put the plug in...sooner or later we are all guilty of these mishaps.

I have notices a lot of boaters panic when they forget to put the plug in, and race to either try to put it back on the trailer, or immediately try to reach down and put the plug in...even saw a guy fall out of his boat trying to put the plug in.

Remember...if you forget to put the plug in, you can always just pull away from the ramp, and get the boat on plane for a little bit. The water will be sucked out of the boat, then you can reach down and put the plug in and have less water to bilge out. That's what I do smile

Brian Carter
Pro Staff
B'n'M Poles - www.bnmpoles.com - Quality Rods For Over 60 Years
War Eagle Boats - www.wareagleboats.com - Built for hunters who love to fish!

Videos
www.youtube.com/BnMFishingPoles - YouTube Channel
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11722205 07/14/16 02:42 PM
O
oakpointaggie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Ok this did not happen to me but I'm waiting for the guy who fishes LL to fess up and tell us how his center console came off his trailer in the middle of Hwy 380 a month or so ago at night. Whole west bound highway was shut down and boat sitting in the middle of the right lane. Felt bad for him.. was a nice boat.

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11722297 07/14/16 03:30 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
All these plug issues. I had a screw in plug, from the outside. I tightened it up and forgot about it.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide