Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: kobefish] #11690631 06/27/16 03:01 AM
L
Leever Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Kayak

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: LinkLowrance] #11690689 06/27/16 03:52 AM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
[/quote]
Originally Posted By: LinkLowrance
You should have seen the looks we would get hauling in winning bags out of a 95 Pro Craft ski/fish last year...it was awesome.

Of course I'm in a different boat as of this year, but it was a reliable boat and the fish didn't seem to care what it looked like!

Exactly! I placed in several tourneys out of mine too. Always weighed in 5. Right out of my PC 21' ski/fish. Before that boat I had a 16' Bayliner Trophy ski/fish. I placed in most tournaments out of that boat too.

What gets me is the money. Especially on electronics. I see these big money boats with two units at the console and one big one up front. Do they really help with bass fishing? I'm guessing most who have them would say yes. I would also guess most who have them have not done much fishing without them. You can be successful without 3 expensive units. When I exclusively bass fished I never had fancy electronics. Mine were actually very basic. If I was fishing a brush pile or ledge or other small structure I would drop a marker and/or triangulate. Other than that I fished patterns. I never felt like I needed fancy electronics. The GPS and map functions are awesome no doubt. But I just don't see needing 3 $3500 units to bass fish. $10k in electronics? Really? Fish patterns and learn your lakes. And fish! you don't have to be an electronics expert to be a successful bass fisherman. Fishing is more fun when your not staring at a computer screen. These fancy units work great for schooling type fish. But you just don't need them bass fishing. Just my opinion of course.

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: kobefish] #11690713 06/27/16 04:15 AM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
March 1 to June 1 I don't even turn my electronics on at the lakes I fish.....no need......now summer time on Fork, I'm glad I have adequate electronics ....but the are 597's that Slade updated and tuned and I don't have $500 in them.

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: Anchorman] #11690734 06/27/16 04:50 AM
Danny L. Weems Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
What gets me is the money. Especially on electronics. I see these big money boats with two units at the console and one big one up front. Do they really help with bass fishing? I'm guessing most who have them would say yes. I would also guess most who have them have not done much fishing without them.You can be successful without 3 expensive units. When I exclusively bass fished I never had fancy electronics. Mine were actually very basic. If I was fishing a brush pile or ledge or other small structure I would drop a marker and/or triangulate. Other than that I fished patterns. I never felt like I needed fancy electronics. The GPS and map functions are awesome no doubt. But I just don't see needing 3 $3500 units to bass fish. $10k in electronics? Really? Fish patterns and learn your lakes. And fish! you don't have to be an electronics expert to be a successful bass fisherman. Fishing is more fun when your not staring at a computer screen. These fancy units work great for schooling type fish. But you just don't need them bass fishing. Just my opinion of course.[/quote]

Your guess would be wrong. Most guys I know have been fishing long before the large screen units came out. I currently have 4 Lowrance HDS units on my boat and each one has its own purpose that I use each time I go fishing. They are just another tool that I have at my disposal when breaking down a new lake or learning things about an old lake that I never knew. Do they help me catch fish? Definitely. Can I catch fish without them. Absolutely. Now if I was always fishing the same lake, I would not have a need for 4 units but when your fishing tournaments on up to 20 different lakes each year, I'll take every tool at my disposal that can contribute to my success. I think it's funny how some people get all worked up on what other people spend their money on. Bass fishing is what I do, I don't drink, use tobacco or drugs, I dont gamble, don't play golf or have season tickets for the Cowboys or the Mavericks, I just fish. I go to church most every time the doors are open, I pay tithes on every bit of income that I have and help in other areas as well. I'm not money rich, I work hard for my income and take care of my family. What I choose to do as a hobby is to fish.
Do you have to have a new boat with all the bells and whistles to go fishing? No sir. You can fish from a jon boat and catch just as many fish as me, it's just all about what works for you.

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: kobefish] #11690751 06/27/16 06:16 AM
F
Fisherman110 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
If you want something new then bass trackers are very good but the only down side is that it is no match for the wind!

Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: Danny L. Weems] #11690845 06/27/16 12:28 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Your guess would be wrong. Most guys I know have been fishing long before the large screen units came out. I currently have 4 Lowrance HDS units on my boat and each one has its own purpose that I use each time I go fishing. They are just another tool that I have at my disposal when breaking down a new lake or learning things about an old lake that I never knew. Do they help me catch fish? Definitely. Can I catch fish without them. Absolutely. Now if I was always fishing the same lake, I would not have a need for 4 units but when your fishing tournaments on up to 20 different lakes each year, I'll take every tool at my disposal that can contribute to my success. I think it's funny how some people get all worked up on what other people spend their money on. Bass fishing is what I do, I don't drink, use tobacco or drugs, I dont gamble, don't play golf or have season tickets for the Cowboys or the Mavericks, I just fish. I go to church most every time the doors are open, I pay tithes on every bit of income that I have and help in other areas as well. I'm not money rich, I work hard for my income and take care of my family. What I choose to do as a hobby is to fish.
Do you have to have a new boat with all the bells and whistles to go fishing? No sir. You can fish from a jon boat and catch just as many fish as me, it's just all about what works for you.[/quote]
I'm with you Danny. I don't have $$$$$ worth of electronics but if I could afford it I would. I do have a Skeeter 190ZX & Yamaha SHO with a Lowrance Elite 7ti and Nav. chip. I can plan my next days fishing right in my garage. Also play golf and have the best clubs I can afford. However anyone wants to enjoy their sport or hobby is their business. If I could afford a 21' Skeeter with 3-4 graphs I'd have one. Don't have to have it to catch fish but sure is more fun. There are guys on here who catch big fish out of Kayak's and pond boats either because that's what they can afford or maybe that's the way they prefer to enjoy their sport. Never apologize for enjoying your sport the way you want.
thumb

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11690919 06/27/16 01:19 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
What gets me is the money. Especially on electronics. I see these big money boats with two units at the console and one big one up front. Do they really help with bass fishing? I'm guessing most who have them would say yes. I would also guess most who have them have not done much fishing without them.You can be successful without 3 expensive units. When I exclusively bass fished I never had fancy electronics. Mine were actually very basic. If I was fishing a brush pile or ledge or other small structure I would drop a marker and/or triangulate. Other than that I fished patterns. I never felt like I needed fancy electronics. The GPS and map functions are awesome no doubt. But I just don't see needing 3 $3500 units to bass fish. $10k in electronics? Really? Fish patterns and learn your lakes. And fish! you don't have to be an electronics expert to be a successful bass fisherman. Fishing is more fun when your not staring at a computer screen. These fancy units work great for schooling type fish. But you just don't need them bass fishing. Just my opinion of course.

Do you have to have a new boat with all the bells and whistles to go fishing? No sir. You can fish from a jon boat and catch just as many fish as me, it's just all about what works for you.[/quote]
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Do you have to have a new boat with all the bells and whistles to go fishing? No sir. You can fish from a jon boat and catch just as many fish as me, it's just all about what works for you.

I'm with you Danny. I don't have $$$$$ worth of electronics but if I could afford it I would. I do have a Skeeter 190ZX & Yamaha SHO with a Lowrance Elite 7ti and Nav. chip. I can plan my next days fishing right in my garage. Also play golf and have the best clubs I can afford. However anyone wants to enjoy their sport or hobby is their business. If I could afford a 21' Skeeter with 3-4 graphs I'd have one. Don't have to have it to catch fish but sure is more fun. There are guys on here who catch big fish out of Kayak's and pond boats either because that's what they can afford or maybe that's the way they prefer to enjoy their sport. Never apologize for enjoying your sport the way you want.
thumb[/quote]

I can certainly see your points if you are a serious tournament fisherman. Especially if you rely on tournaments for income. I should have thought of that. I'm speaking more from a "fishing for fun" point of view. I fished 8-10 lakes pretty regular and fished a handful of tournaments a year strictly for the fun of competing. I never allowed myself to take it too serious. However, I am a very competitive person. If I was fishing tournaments for income, points, etc I would probably want the fancy electronics too. But I never took it that far.

I just don't understand the 3-4 unit thing. Why can't you toggle screens? Can you explain why you need 3-4? I can understand one up front and one at the console. But why 2 at the console? I'm seriously asking why and not trying to argue are be a SA.

Last edited by Anchorman; 06/27/16 01:22 PM.

Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: Anchorman] #11690934 06/27/16 01:28 PM
Danny L. Weems Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Anchorman,

On my console I run a 12 with a split screen on map and 2d sonar, then I run my 9 split on down and side imaging.
You can split the 12 into 4 screens but it gets a little small for my liking.

On the front I run a 9 split with map and down imagining and then I have sonar on a 5 flush mounted.

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: Devil Horse] #11690974 06/27/16 01:47 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Devil Horse
Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Originally Posted By: Pintail711
A friend of mine owns a dealership and he said they'll go up to 240 months on a new skeeter.

That is stupid when you do the math and see what your actually paying for the boat

stupid neighbor did this, 240 payments at $525 a month, lol, thats only $126k, funny thing is its not even a top of the line skeeter either. Dunbazzes are born every minute i guess.

You just brought a lot a guys on here to a harsh reality.....hahahahaha

Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: kobefish] #11691217 06/27/16 03:25 PM
Basscat Puma FTD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
My 2 cents, I have fished with a very successful guide several times on Lake Fork, he uses an aluminum Tracker boat, he can go anywhere lots of guys in fiberglass boats won't or can't go, and I have caught fish and had great times on his Tracker boat. I love how light it is and easy to trailer. As I get older, and the heavy $65K Basscat gets harder to deal with I can easily see myself going smaller and aluminum. Sure it can't always handle the rough water the bigger boats can but you can just trailer more to your fishing area and choose your days on the water. It's a lot cheaper solution and you will still have a great time on the water.

Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: Danny L. Weems] #11691365 06/27/16 04:22 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
Anchorman,

On my console I run a 12 with a split screen on map and 2d sonar, then I run my 9 split on down and side imaging.
You can split the 12 into 4 screens but it gets a little small for my liking.

On the front I run a 9 split with map and down imagining and then I have sonar on a 5 flush mounted.

Thanks for the explanation Danny. I would like to go out with someone with all these bells and whistles to see first hand how it all works. I'm sure it's handy and a great tool for the serious tourney fisherman. But I'm sure if I found myself out on a lake in the back of someone's boat I would probably go into the zone and be more interested in getting a fish on my hook lol. I might ask how deep are we from time to time.

The technology is incredible. I guess if you can afford it buy it. If you can't go fishing any way and fish patterns and have fun. Good discussion.

Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: kobefish] #11691433 06/27/16 04:47 PM
F
FSWITX Offline
Angler
Angler
F
popcorn popcorn

Re: Bass Boat craziness [Re: kobefish] #11691454 06/27/16 04:57 PM
J
jb504079 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Good discussion. I say a man can do with his money what he wishes.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide