Texas Fishing Forum

Bass Boat craziness

Posted By: kobefish

Bass Boat craziness - 06/23/16 11:36 PM

Just a question for you guys who love to fish like I do. I consider myself a guy who has worked his whole life and has done pretty good for himself and my family. We are a middle class family with bills like everyone else but have stayed ahead of being major debt. So the question is.....How do you guys afford a quality bass boat? I really think the boat market has gone crazy. It is very easy to pay 6-7 hundred a month for boat, storage, tackle, fuel ect. I really have a hard time with justifying that kind of money. Thoughts?
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/23/16 11:47 PM

these days toys are really expensive just go with what you can afford. i'm in your boat can't see how some people afford the price of things these days.

Look at it this way we all have a hand in creating the price of things. businesess charge what people will pay.

EX: most cell phones cost less than $100 to make yet people will pay $600-$800 for one that's crazy not me...
Posted By: FCSPrez

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/23/16 11:52 PM

I'm middle class (I work for the state so I'll never be rich), like you, with three adult kids. I bought an 89 18.5' Champion with a 96 150 HP Mercury a couple years ago. Paid 3.5 K. Payment $115. Storage $53. Average $250 on repairs. I only fish twice a month so no more than $30 gad. So far I've done 4.8 K in repairs. I wish I had bought a newer boat, but have changed out just about all of the usual suspects. It's doable - just realize that boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand.
Posted By: djones03

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 12:27 AM

You can finance boats for 10+ yrs, I bought 07 basscat last year, and I drive a paid off 98 Z71 so I can afford my boat payment, you normally have to make sacrifices somewhere.
Posted By: Kiss88

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 12:35 AM

Buy the boat you can afford......learn to fish like a BOSS......maybe you can win a brand new boat fishing tournaments.

Other than that, im with ya all the way.....boat prices are absolutely ridiculous!!!!!
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 12:38 AM

I choose to drive a 2005 truck that has been paid off for several years. That allowed me to buy a very nice used bay boat and be able to easily afford the payment. I do all of the work myself and that saves me a small fortune. Plus I love learning how to work on things.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 12:47 AM

It is pretty tough to own a late model boat unless you make some good money, the key is to get that first one paid for, then you start slowly upgrading, I have had a new boat every year or two for over 30 years, it cost me around 5K-7K or so a year to do that, may not be the smartest thing to do but I always have a new one and it is paid for, never did understand the guys that would go buy a 60K dollar boat and put it on a 12-15 year note, most of the time I think it does not work out too well.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 12:50 AM

there are a lot of quality used bass boats out there for a lot less than new ones. Instead of paying 30K, 40K 50K 60K 70K or more look for a boat in good condition that is about 15 years old for 15K or less.

You may have to look to find the one you want. Stick with the brands that have a good reputation. And you don't necessarily need a 21' boat with a giant motor either. 150's will gets you there a lot cheaper.
Posted By: Mike Zachary

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 12:56 AM

I have always paid one off (started with an 02 Ranger 520) and sold and put all that money back into a newer (not new) one. I have owned an 08, 09, 13,14, and now a 15, all top of line Rangers. I will usually have to finance 10K or so and put it on the highest payment I can afford. The downfall to this is paying excise tax everytime I swap. I also have a side business that supports this. My wife gets all of the fire dept. income. I also pull with an 06 Duramax (paid for) so I don't have a truck payment taking away from the boat fund.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:06 AM

I got my '99 Skeeter sx176 for 6k. Paid it off in one year. It certainly isn't the biggest or fastest, but it gets me on the fish and it has had very few issues. An unexpected stump led to a new lower unit. ( insurance paid for it) It's needed a few minor repairs here and there but fortunately I've been able to do them myself after watching a few you-tube videos.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:14 AM

My wife works super hard to make my boat payment.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:18 AM

my truck was paid off and has been since 2008, my wife's car was less than a year from being paid off and I pulled the trigger on a 24k boat that I got in early 2014. We had it pretty tight for the year that we made payments on both. The next year and this year we really buckled down on the payments and its pretty much paid off. I sacrifice driving an 02 f250 7.3 diesel that I love. My wife wants me to get a new truck and I tell her I don't want a new truck I want a new boat. My advice is have your vehicles paid off and find a good 20 to 25k boat. My payments were 260 a month for 10 years with a 5.5 interest rate. People say I'm crazy for financing a boat for 10. Yes that's a long time and I paid it off in 3 but if times get tough you not stuck with a 650 payments either. Hope this helps
Posted By: stetson

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:47 AM

It all depends on what you can manage and what you are using them for, right now I'm
In your boat I have a 14 year old boat and balancing traveling all over for college events, Tuition and living I couldn't afford a new boat right now and fish every week and while people say rigs don't matter they actually do it hurts when you find fish 50 miles up the Tennessee river and you boat doesn't hold enough fuel and no places to get fuel or at 64mph takes to long to get up there compared to the new Phoenix and rangers, but I guess that's part of it someone has to have the upper hand and if possible might as well be you,
Posted By: gatoreyes

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:55 AM

I've always had aluminum boats, economical to buy, operate and tow. They may not be as glamorous as some boats, but they are functional and less apt to break your wallet.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 02:05 AM

You are confusing what you "think" you need in order to go fishing with what you actually need to do so. There are tons of affordable boats out there that are older and lightly used.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
You are confusing what you "think" you need in order to go fishing with what you actually need to do so. There are tons of affordable boats out there that are older and lightly used.

Exactly! Just because you see people in New expensive boats, it doesn't mean that you need one. I bought a mid sized older boat and couldn't be happier with it.
Posted By: Bryanj

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 02:50 AM

I am definitely middle class (teacher) I have an 03 Ranger 520 that I really like but I went fishing with my son in his 05 Tracker the other day and caught just as many fish as in my Ranger! You can catch fish out of anything. I will say that if I was on a tight budget I would be looking at an aluminum Tracker or something similar.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 02:59 AM

lots of good aluminum and glass boats out there for 8-15k. Factor in a 4 stroke motor on one and you can really eliminate a lot of the maintenance expenses and upkeep, along with much greater longevity. Your trailer may need replacing years before anything else fails.

I've fished from everything from float tubes and bass busters to a new 21 ft Skeeter to my current 04 G3 HP 180 I bought a few months ago. With a 115 4 stroke on it I really think it's bulletproof. I fish where I want and how I want and pick my lakes based on conditions. I like to fish shallow and this gets it done. I also like small, less pressured lakes and most of the big crowded lakes have a few smaller lakes under 2000 acres close by. Those are usually where you'll find me.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 03:03 AM

I own a Triton free and clear but between the marina and storing the trailer it $3200 a year. I pay it because being in my boat and fishing is the most fun I can have with my clothes on. Is it expensive, does it cost more than it should-you bet but its the way things are. I'll pay it til I'm too old to fish-hopefully a long time off.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 03:07 AM

I know there are some straight up STICKS in tourneys around here with older boats that will show up and take my money every time.

I'm like the others. Have a ten year old mid sized Ranger with a 150, but it's mine and I love it. Many many many memories with my dad and son in it.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 03:08 AM

Buy pre-owned!
On the motor, remember, not many fish caught at 60mph!

bang
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 12:40 PM

Just get the boat that you can afford and upgrade if you want to later. I owned a lot of older boats before I got a new one.
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 12:51 PM

This is a very good topic. Every tournament we fish I pull into the parking lot and see the new jacked up 4wd pickups pulling 2-3 yr old boats. That's $125k just in truck and boat (assuming they bought new). I just can't believe there are that many people that can legitimately afford to pay the notes. The only explanation I have is this - they will finance a high dollar truck 7 years now. A boat can be financed 15 years. I guess that gets your payment low enough that you afford to own it and fish a tournament or two a month.

I think the biggest part of fishermen, especially tournament fishermen, is they feel like they have to keep up with the Jones'. They've gotta look cool and go fast. BUT they gotta be careful or their flat brim will blow off!
Posted By: buton

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:00 PM

if you have a good credit score you will be able make a good deal for a new or used boat. if you dont have a car payment and you dont have a lot of debt on credit cards or other stuff you could easily get a new boat.

you just have to cut somewhere, to get you boat.
Posted By: 1442

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:07 PM

I like older boats and have paid cash for the last two I bought.
Last year I found a 2000 model F250 crew cab FWD 7.3 diesel pulling machine that matches my current boat and it had 96000 miles on it.
Happy Happy Happy!
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:23 PM

There are quality used boats on the market at all price points. New carpet and seats can do wonders for an older boat. as long as the motor checks out with a reputable mechanic there should be no worries. Besides the fish don"t care what your fishing from. I was told once that all a boat is, is a means to get you to a fishing spot.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:24 PM

There are neighborhoods with 1000s of 1/2+ million dollar homes in all cities. People have money.
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:31 PM

An 18.5 footer with a 150 will do just fine for a recreational angler. Find one you can pay cash for, or one that you can finance for 5 years and pay off in 3. Don't get yourself in a financial bind trying to pay off an expensive toy.

The two things you're sacrificing with a smaller boat are speed and rough water ride. If you're a recreational guy not fishing a major tournament trail, speed doesn't matter. If it's windy and the lake is rough, use a ramp that is close to the areas you want to fish.
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:37 PM

You do what I did, and you buy yourself a 2003 decent bass boat...... they float pretty much the same way.... you replace a few parts, and you fish from it like crazy. I paid cash for mine, and of course it sucked up another chunk of cash on [censored] I didn't know needed to replaced... so there's always that... and you need to plan for it, but man, I have no issues with not having a new bass boat, even though I drool over them all the time.
Posted By: BassKarma

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 01:54 PM

Very hard for me to understand financing a "toy". I guess that is why some folks struggle, putting entertainment on credit cards and stuff. Only way I could justify financing a "toy" would be that the interest rate was basically nothing. I think everybody wants not things. Just not everyone can have them right when they want them.
Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: 1442
I like older boats and have paid cash for the last two I bought.
Last year I found a 2000 model F250 crew cab FWD 7.3 diesel pulling machine that matches my current boat and it had 96000 miles on it.
Happy Happy Happy!

I bought a 2000 F250 7.3 two years ago with 94K on her. I paid her off this spring and now have a boat for the first time in my life. Not a new one (the boat is a 2003) with 150 VMAX Yamaha. I took it into the shop to have the impeller changed, lower end serviced, compression checked, etc. My wife asked me the 2nd time we went fishing in it, "Remind me why I didn't want you to have a boat before now!" smile
My boat is not perfect, but it is the apple of my eye!
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 02:55 PM

There are a lot of people who can afford a new truck and boat. Just don't get caught up in it if you can't. The boat is nice but then you will want the next big thing. Wait till you go tag that thing! My new boat/motor tag usually runs close to $2k. Don't even get me started on electronics, rods, tackle, BFL's, insurance..... and the constant little nagging repairs.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 03:06 PM

This topic comes up about once a month... Don't worry about what everyone else has and what they can or cannot afford. Live within your means & be thankful. These shiny things will eventually rot and wither.
Posted By: Fishinreelslow

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 05:43 PM

I am a Millionaire. I do not fish tournaments.I fish out of a 94 Champion anytime or anywhere I want. Buy what you like and can afford. DO NOT BURY YOURSELF IN DEBT.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 06:02 PM

I went fishing last weekend with a good friend who has an old Tracker boat and we caught plenty of fish.

But like MANY others have said I am with you. I couldn't imagine taking on a $600/mo boat payment with my income. That's why I got a kayak! woot
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 06:09 PM

I bought a new boat once. I had hell with the motor off and on throughout the 6 years I had it. Looking back I could have and should have gotten a bad arse used boat for less than what I paid for that new one
Posted By: SoonerFan-n-TX

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 06:20 PM

I alter back and fourth. I had a '95 Silverado that I paid off 10 years ago, saved enough money and paid cash for my '94 Javelin. Traded my truck in 5 years ago on my used Tundra, have a year to go. Once that is paid off I will get a bigger boat (only complaint about my 17'6" Javelin is not enough room for stuff). This is all while paying child support, ended last year but now I have two kids in college.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 06:33 PM

Many years ago, I sold my big (to me) Hydrasport and bought a Bass Buster. I've never regretted it. With the money saved by not buying new boats, motors, trailers, etc, my wife and I have enjoyed taking more than 60 international vacations and cruises. Do I ever miss my bigger, faster rig? Sure I do, but I also still consistently catch more and bigger fish from the little 'boat.' Each to his own.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 06:42 PM

In 2001 I bought a 95 pro craft 21' with a 200 xri merc. The original owner put it on Texoma twice. It had 12 hours on it. He stored it with a cover on it. The boat was literally brand new. I paid $15,500 for it. I just sold it 3 years ago. The only thing it was ever in the shop for was to remove the oil injection system. It was a 65 mph boat and road like a caddy. I sold it to one of my best friends who enjoys it almost every weekend. I sold it to buy a 4 year old voyager super fish pontoon boat with a 115 4 stroke Honda. This boat had not been ran in two years and had 40 hours on it. I paid $18 for this boat. New it was a $30000 boat. It's reliable and never been in the shop.

Just helping make the point you can buy very very nice boats used and save plenty of money. I just can't see buying new with today's new boat prices.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 06:43 PM

I sacrificed and saved until I had enough cash to buy the best boat I could. My first boat was $6000.00. Then I saved some more and sold that boat and paid cash fort he next one.. and then saved some more and sold that boat and paid cash for the next one. I did that 5 times and finally I ended up in a 2014 21' that's paid for.

The problem is everyone wants what they want and they want it now. Most don't have the patience or discipline to save.

It's common knowledge that financing a brand new bass boat for 12 years is a horrible decision. If you can afford a $600/mo payment that included interest then you can save $7200/yr. In 3 years... $20k bass boat paid for. Problem is folks don't wanna wait.

And then rationalize the mistake.

I'm no better than anyone else though, I've financed some stoopid sh!t in my life but I learned from the mistake. Aint nothing worse then owing money on something you don't like but you owe more than it's worth. Stuck with it. Or roll the inequity into the next one only to kick the can down the road a few years...with interest.
Posted By: HaulinBass02

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 07:43 PM

I'm a slightly different case than everyone else in that my first boat is/was my dad's. It isn't new but was still in good shape when I got it. I put $3k of my own money into fixing it back up along with sweat and effort sanding and polishing the gelcoat back to new.
At 18.5' with a 150 it isn't big and there are times I wish I had a bigger boat. But I'm not paying a dang thing for it. Once my truck is paid off or sold and my suburban is paid off I keep threatening to go and buy a new boat. In reality I probably won't. IF I do, it will be a well taken care of used boat. But I fall more in love with the boat every trip out and I think of all the money I save, helps me pay for those custom painted lures from Brad Shuflin!
Plus I can use the money I'm saving to buy the thing my family really wants which is a travel trailer. Point being said, I would buy a good used one for cash or short term loan. Don't need a big one or expensive one. If you can do the work on it then it helps even more. I'll still tourney fish out of mine starting next year. I ain't afraid of a bigger boat!
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: M. Alexander
This topic comes up about once a month... Don't worry about what everyone else has and what they can or cannot afford. Live within your means & be thankful. These shiny things will eventually rot and wither.

Same here
Posted By: 361V

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 09:54 PM

No offense meant: but why are you asking how others afford the price of new boats? Buy what you want AND can afford. "Keeping up with the Jones" is a mistake in general, twice as much a mistake for recreational purchases! It gets laughed and ridiculed here when I mention it but I personally think it's foolish to borrow long term(or at all) for recreational purchases. They are not necessary items like a house or transportation. Heck, people finance their television sets! Just my opinion but save and buy fun things when you can pay for them, not sign for them. Bet you will like that 10 year old boat a lot more if you are not 10 years into the payments...with more to go. :-)
Posted By: danwill12

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 09:55 PM

Some of you would died from laughter if you could have seen some of the old sh*t boxes I used to own when I was in my early 20's. We would fish 1 hour and work on them 5 hours. Finally things started to improve and I bought a new Skeeter. Start slow.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/24/16 10:22 PM

I've spent the last few years chasing whitetail and Mule deer all over New Mexico and Texas. I thought that was an expensive hobby, but it doesn't hold a candle to bass fishing.
I had a real nice 60 hr 5 yr old Ranger picked out when I bought my boat last year, but ended up instead buying a new Skeeter with the 250 SHO. You guys know what I paid. I'm 69 yrs old and am in a position to afford it. However, in a few years went my health slips, I'll sell it. I am anal about taking care of my boat. Just taking care of it has given me more to do to stay active.
I've got to say, while your health is good, enjoy life and buy what you can afford within reason. Take care of your family first, then get your boat. So many young guys get more than they can afford and put it on a long term note. That's insane.
Posted By: Kristopher Douglas.

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/25/16 01:18 AM

It's all relative. I finance for no longer than five years. I try to double my payment every month.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/25/16 01:20 AM

I've had a boat since 1990. Started off with a 4 year old boat but now I own an '07. I'm going backwards. No, just avoiding having boat payments. I bought one boat new back in '97 and that was a definite mistake. Last year I sold an '07 that had 325 hrs on it. I wanted to upgrade hours and it took me 5 weeks to find the boat I was looking for. It was an '07, too, but only had 72 hours so it was like a new one to me that was kept in phenomenal shape. The key is to find a used boat each time that has been kept in great shape and then sell it for more than you paid for it or the same as you paid. Each upgrade, put a couple of thousand in and you don't have to take a loan out for $40,000 or more. Those kind of loans never get paid off. Try to keep the hours low because that affects resale. There's tons of boats to get a deal on out there if you look long and hard enough. Always somebody that has to dump one off. You just have to be at the right place at the right time. Good Luck.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/25/16 01:51 AM

I bought my 2000 Skeeter w/ 150 Yamaha right here off the TFF from The Tractor Guy Waco 2 years ago.
Good price, great boat, 14 years old,,,,,,, but solid and well kept. Didn't break the bank and I have fished all over Texas in it.
Look,,,, take your time and you can find some deals. In fact there are a couple of deals right now in the boat section that are really good.
Somebody buy my 2000 Skeeter and I'll upgrade.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/25/16 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
this is the REAL truth.

I can fish from an old Nitro or a new Nitro....same results.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/25/16 02:36 AM

I've had a bass boat since I was 15....never had a payment......my current boat is 19 years old and still runs and looks good.....I paid 6500 for it ten years ago..... I'm about to give it to my son as he starts his professional career and I will have about 15k to spend on a 19-21 foot bass boat....if I choose wisely it will be handed down to a grandson some day when I die..... paying for a brand new boat or truck is a suckers bet no matter how you do it because you'll never get the depreciation back. Just my thoughts....oh and I drive a 9 year old Navigator that I financed for 2 years when it was 7 years old....I will drive it until it starts having issues too big for my comfort level and then look for another....this is the second one, I got 279k miles out of the first one and sold it after I drove it for free for 4 years.

But I don't begrudge people with different ideas or priorities, that's silly to worry about.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/25/16 04:03 PM

A friend of mine owns a dealership and he said they'll go up to 240 months on a new skeeter.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/25/16 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Pintail711
A friend of mine owns a dealership and he said they'll go up to 240 months on a new skeeter.

That is stupid when you do the math and see what your actually paying for the boat
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/25/16 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer

That is stupid when you do the math and see what your actually paying for the boat

Not counting interest you're looking at $300 month. If you figure in interest I'll have to go buy a bigger calculator. That's 20 years worth of payments, and the bank probably won't even last that long.
barf
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/25/16 04:24 PM

stupid neighbor did this, 240 payments at $525 a month, lol, thats only $126k, funny thing is its not even a top of the line skeeter either. Dunbazzes are born every minute i guess.

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/25/16 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Devil Horse

stupid neighbor did this, 240 payments at $525 a month, lol, thats only $126k, funny thing is its not even a top of the line skeeter either. Dunbazzes are born every minute i guess.

Can he afford gas for it or does it just stay in the garage. What was that 'ol P.T. Barnum saying?
violin
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/25/16 04:37 PM

You should have seen the looks we would get hauling in winning bags out of a 95 Pro Craft ski/fish last year...it was awesome.

Of course I'm in a different boat as of this year, but it was a reliable boat and the fish didn't seem to care what it looked like!
Posted By: SK1

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/26/16 08:29 PM

Well,I am proud owner of a 96 skeeterzx 200c and I have driven 14 fx21 and recently a 16 zx250 and have yet to be impressed to the point of going into debt 70k in debt. The ride and fishability is not that different. I bought my boat in 97. It was a year old and had been garaged and well kept. No need to waste money. Few years ago had a settlcement and could have paid cash for a new one but couldn't justify it. With boat prices the way they a and depreciation unless you can at least put down half if not all and pay it off in a couple of years, its fools propersiton. You're gonna take a lost.
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 12:02 AM

eeks
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 01:04 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Atta

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Kiss88
Buy the boat you can afford......learn to fish like a BOSS......maybe you can win a brand new boat fishing tournaments.

Other than that, im with ya all the way.....boat prices are absolutely ridiculous!!!!!

Starred out with a 1000 dollar boat that was a hunk of junk but got me on the water. Had to spray starter fluid in it to get it cranked up. Then bought a 89 stratos and went through a lower unit and a drive shaft. Hated the boat so much I let it sit for over a year even though I had the parts. Just frustrated with it. Started saving and then had a great day. Me and my buddy won a big bass tourney on his catch and sold the z8 they gave us. Paid cash for a 04 triton tr22. Got 15,400 from the winnings and paid 14,900 for the boat. The guy wanted 17,500 but had a race car and needed money for repairs. I helped him and he helped me. My buddy had bought a boat 5 months prior. 1 fish paid for both of our boats and covered the taxes we had to pay. Although I spent nearly the same that year traveling to fish, tournament fees, gear and everything else. But she is paid for and will be mine until I win another big bass tourney or I get really lucky some other way smile

Fish hard my friend! Good luck and remember catching a 10 pounder from the bank is better than what a lot of us (including me) have done on a boat!
Posted By: Leever

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 03:01 AM

Kayak

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 03:52 AM

[/quote]
Originally Posted By: LinkLowrance
You should have seen the looks we would get hauling in winning bags out of a 95 Pro Craft ski/fish last year...it was awesome.

Of course I'm in a different boat as of this year, but it was a reliable boat and the fish didn't seem to care what it looked like!

Exactly! I placed in several tourneys out of mine too. Always weighed in 5. Right out of my PC 21' ski/fish. Before that boat I had a 16' Bayliner Trophy ski/fish. I placed in most tournaments out of that boat too.

What gets me is the money. Especially on electronics. I see these big money boats with two units at the console and one big one up front. Do they really help with bass fishing? I'm guessing most who have them would say yes. I would also guess most who have them have not done much fishing without them. You can be successful without 3 expensive units. When I exclusively bass fished I never had fancy electronics. Mine were actually very basic. If I was fishing a brush pile or ledge or other small structure I would drop a marker and/or triangulate. Other than that I fished patterns. I never felt like I needed fancy electronics. The GPS and map functions are awesome no doubt. But I just don't see needing 3 $3500 units to bass fish. $10k in electronics? Really? Fish patterns and learn your lakes. And fish! you don't have to be an electronics expert to be a successful bass fisherman. Fishing is more fun when your not staring at a computer screen. These fancy units work great for schooling type fish. But you just don't need them bass fishing. Just my opinion of course.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 04:15 AM

March 1 to June 1 I don't even turn my electronics on at the lakes I fish.....no need......now summer time on Fork, I'm glad I have adequate electronics ....but the are 597's that Slade updated and tuned and I don't have $500 in them.
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 04:50 AM

What gets me is the money. Especially on electronics. I see these big money boats with two units at the console and one big one up front. Do they really help with bass fishing? I'm guessing most who have them would say yes. I would also guess most who have them have not done much fishing without them.You can be successful without 3 expensive units. When I exclusively bass fished I never had fancy electronics. Mine were actually very basic. If I was fishing a brush pile or ledge or other small structure I would drop a marker and/or triangulate. Other than that I fished patterns. I never felt like I needed fancy electronics. The GPS and map functions are awesome no doubt. But I just don't see needing 3 $3500 units to bass fish. $10k in electronics? Really? Fish patterns and learn your lakes. And fish! you don't have to be an electronics expert to be a successful bass fisherman. Fishing is more fun when your not staring at a computer screen. These fancy units work great for schooling type fish. But you just don't need them bass fishing. Just my opinion of course.[/quote]

Your guess would be wrong. Most guys I know have been fishing long before the large screen units came out. I currently have 4 Lowrance HDS units on my boat and each one has its own purpose that I use each time I go fishing. They are just another tool that I have at my disposal when breaking down a new lake or learning things about an old lake that I never knew. Do they help me catch fish? Definitely. Can I catch fish without them. Absolutely. Now if I was always fishing the same lake, I would not have a need for 4 units but when your fishing tournaments on up to 20 different lakes each year, I'll take every tool at my disposal that can contribute to my success. I think it's funny how some people get all worked up on what other people spend their money on. Bass fishing is what I do, I don't drink, use tobacco or drugs, I dont gamble, don't play golf or have season tickets for the Cowboys or the Mavericks, I just fish. I go to church most every time the doors are open, I pay tithes on every bit of income that I have and help in other areas as well. I'm not money rich, I work hard for my income and take care of my family. What I choose to do as a hobby is to fish.
Do you have to have a new boat with all the bells and whistles to go fishing? No sir. You can fish from a jon boat and catch just as many fish as me, it's just all about what works for you.
Posted By: Fisherman110

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 06:16 AM

If you want something new then bass trackers are very good but the only down side is that it is no match for the wind!

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 12:28 PM

Your guess would be wrong. Most guys I know have been fishing long before the large screen units came out. I currently have 4 Lowrance HDS units on my boat and each one has its own purpose that I use each time I go fishing. They are just another tool that I have at my disposal when breaking down a new lake or learning things about an old lake that I never knew. Do they help me catch fish? Definitely. Can I catch fish without them. Absolutely. Now if I was always fishing the same lake, I would not have a need for 4 units but when your fishing tournaments on up to 20 different lakes each year, I'll take every tool at my disposal that can contribute to my success. I think it's funny how some people get all worked up on what other people spend their money on. Bass fishing is what I do, I don't drink, use tobacco or drugs, I dont gamble, don't play golf or have season tickets for the Cowboys or the Mavericks, I just fish. I go to church most every time the doors are open, I pay tithes on every bit of income that I have and help in other areas as well. I'm not money rich, I work hard for my income and take care of my family. What I choose to do as a hobby is to fish.
Do you have to have a new boat with all the bells and whistles to go fishing? No sir. You can fish from a jon boat and catch just as many fish as me, it's just all about what works for you.[/quote]
I'm with you Danny. I don't have $$$$$ worth of electronics but if I could afford it I would. I do have a Skeeter 190ZX & Yamaha SHO with a Lowrance Elite 7ti and Nav. chip. I can plan my next days fishing right in my garage. Also play golf and have the best clubs I can afford. However anyone wants to enjoy their sport or hobby is their business. If I could afford a 21' Skeeter with 3-4 graphs I'd have one. Don't have to have it to catch fish but sure is more fun. There are guys on here who catch big fish out of Kayak's and pond boats either because that's what they can afford or maybe that's the way they prefer to enjoy their sport. Never apologize for enjoying your sport the way you want.
thumb

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
What gets me is the money. Especially on electronics. I see these big money boats with two units at the console and one big one up front. Do they really help with bass fishing? I'm guessing most who have them would say yes. I would also guess most who have them have not done much fishing without them.You can be successful without 3 expensive units. When I exclusively bass fished I never had fancy electronics. Mine were actually very basic. If I was fishing a brush pile or ledge or other small structure I would drop a marker and/or triangulate. Other than that I fished patterns. I never felt like I needed fancy electronics. The GPS and map functions are awesome no doubt. But I just don't see needing 3 $3500 units to bass fish. $10k in electronics? Really? Fish patterns and learn your lakes. And fish! you don't have to be an electronics expert to be a successful bass fisherman. Fishing is more fun when your not staring at a computer screen. These fancy units work great for schooling type fish. But you just don't need them bass fishing. Just my opinion of course.

Do you have to have a new boat with all the bells and whistles to go fishing? No sir. You can fish from a jon boat and catch just as many fish as me, it's just all about what works for you.[/quote]
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Do you have to have a new boat with all the bells and whistles to go fishing? No sir. You can fish from a jon boat and catch just as many fish as me, it's just all about what works for you.

I'm with you Danny. I don't have $$$$$ worth of electronics but if I could afford it I would. I do have a Skeeter 190ZX & Yamaha SHO with a Lowrance Elite 7ti and Nav. chip. I can plan my next days fishing right in my garage. Also play golf and have the best clubs I can afford. However anyone wants to enjoy their sport or hobby is their business. If I could afford a 21' Skeeter with 3-4 graphs I'd have one. Don't have to have it to catch fish but sure is more fun. There are guys on here who catch big fish out of Kayak's and pond boats either because that's what they can afford or maybe that's the way they prefer to enjoy their sport. Never apologize for enjoying your sport the way you want.
thumb[/quote]

I can certainly see your points if you are a serious tournament fisherman. Especially if you rely on tournaments for income. I should have thought of that. I'm speaking more from a "fishing for fun" point of view. I fished 8-10 lakes pretty regular and fished a handful of tournaments a year strictly for the fun of competing. I never allowed myself to take it too serious. However, I am a very competitive person. If I was fishing tournaments for income, points, etc I would probably want the fancy electronics too. But I never took it that far.

I just don't understand the 3-4 unit thing. Why can't you toggle screens? Can you explain why you need 3-4? I can understand one up front and one at the console. But why 2 at the console? I'm seriously asking why and not trying to argue are be a SA.
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 01:28 PM

Anchorman,

On my console I run a 12 with a split screen on map and 2d sonar, then I run my 9 split on down and side imaging.
You can split the 12 into 4 screens but it gets a little small for my liking.

On the front I run a 9 split with map and down imagining and then I have sonar on a 5 flush mounted.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 01:47 PM

You just brought a lot a guys on here to a harsh reality.....hahahahaha
Posted By: Basscat Puma FTD

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 03:25 PM

My 2 cents, I have fished with a very successful guide several times on Lake Fork, he uses an aluminum Tracker boat, he can go anywhere lots of guys in fiberglass boats won't or can't go, and I have caught fish and had great times on his Tracker boat. I love how light it is and easy to trailer. As I get older, and the heavy $65K Basscat gets harder to deal with I can easily see myself going smaller and aluminum. Sure it can't always handle the rough water the bigger boats can but you can just trailer more to your fishing area and choose your days on the water. It's a lot cheaper solution and you will still have a great time on the water.

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
Anchorman,

On my console I run a 12 with a split screen on map and 2d sonar, then I run my 9 split on down and side imaging.
You can split the 12 into 4 screens but it gets a little small for my liking.

On the front I run a 9 split with map and down imagining and then I have sonar on a 5 flush mounted.

Thanks for the explanation Danny. I would like to go out with someone with all these bells and whistles to see first hand how it all works. I'm sure it's handy and a great tool for the serious tourney fisherman. But I'm sure if I found myself out on a lake in the back of someone's boat I would probably go into the zone and be more interested in getting a fish on my hook lol. I might ask how deep are we from time to time.

The technology is incredible. I guess if you can afford it buy it. If you can't go fishing any way and fish patterns and have fun. Good discussion.
Posted By: FSWITX

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 04:47 PM

popcorn popcorn
Posted By: jb504079

Re: Bass Boat craziness - 06/27/16 04:57 PM

Good discussion. I say a man can do with his money what he wishes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum