Forums59
Topics1,040,106
Posts13,975,691
Members144,227
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Fishing Etiquette Questions [Re: DarrellSimpson] #11620404 05/23/16 06:15 PM
T
tin man 55 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I wish there was a definitive manual for this, but the truth is that each situation is different. someone else said it earlier - if something makes you mad, don't do that to others.

I've seen both good and bad in the last few years, both on fork, and both during the skeeter tournament. a few years ago I was catching fish on a topwater in 20 feet of water; no surface schooling, but I was catching one on every other cast. I was tied to a stump and was making a short cast right next to a different stump. another boat saw what was going on, and made a beeline and tied up to my target stump. not only could I have cast to his boat, but easily another 10+ yards beyond it. I asked him to please move because he was sitting on top of the school, and after a few choice 4 letter words from him, he finally moved out and I continued to catch fish. my rule for this - never get within a long cast of another boat unless they invite you to come over.

another year, I was fortunate enough to find an active school in a creek channel, and caught several nice slot fish that the dozen or so boats around me all saw. finally, I got an over the slot fish, and decided to leave and go weigh in (after all, I could only possess one over the slot fish). after weighing in and with all the hoopla, I went back to my spot, and as expected, there was a boat there. as soon as he saw me coming, he untied and moved over about 50 yards or so. I didn't expect that, and it would have been totally acceptable for him to stay there. I hollered a big THANK YOU to him, and resumed fishing my 'money' hole.

I've fished every skeeter tournament and a number of the Berkley tournaments, and only had a couple of problems with 'tournament' fishermen. I think most respect each other, and we only remember the select few that break the unwritten rules.

I do have a question about fork and the boat lanes; there are several popular humps and points that are in, or very close to, a boat lane. if you are running the boat lane, and you come up on someone fishing in or near the boat lane, what should you do? I've had people do both; some run by on plane as if I wasn't there, and others drop off plane and idle by. once again I don't know that there is a hard and fast rule on this, but what is your opinion on this?

2014 Ranger RT-188
115 Mercury Pro-XS
Lowrance Gen-3 units
Ultrex
Re: Fishing Etiquette Questions [Re: DarrellSimpson] #11620764 05/23/16 09:00 PM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
How do you know when your in a boat lane , I had no idea there was such a thing , It makes sense when I think about it . I sure have appreciated how friendly a few other fishermen were last Saturday . I was trolling a little trying to scare up a bite and on two occasions I started into the path of others looking for fish and each time I waved and changed direction while apologizing and I got waves a smiles back , I guess there are still some nice guys out there .

Re: Fishing Etiquette Questions [Re: DarrellSimpson] #11621352 05/24/16 01:12 AM
T
tin man 55 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
at lake fork, the boat lanes are marked with buoys; not like that at most other lakes.

2014 Ranger RT-188
115 Mercury Pro-XS
Lowrance Gen-3 units
Ultrex
Re: Fishing Etiquette Questions [Re: DarrellSimpson] #11621409 05/24/16 01:29 AM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
offtopic

Re: Fishing Etiquette Questions [Re: DarrellSimpson] #11621626 05/24/16 02:39 AM
S
steven1968 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I've hit Tawakoni a couple times since Whitney has been closed down. Beautiful lake, but not real friendly right now. Did my homework and picked some humps before going out. Get there and boats on hump. No problem. I like to troll. I don't like to sit and jig. I stay what I feel is a respectable distance away. I've never had more fisherman just look away when I waved at them. Trolling doesn't bother the fish, if it did, no one would do it. I can find a school holding on structure and pass back and forth catching fish on every pass. If they're not schooling on the surface, they don't pay boats any mind. I did find it funny when I pulled in fish as I passed those same boats that they had no problem sliding right in to where I just hooked 'em. smile I love doing that. Other lakes guys will wave and chat with you as the pass. Maybe just so much pressure with the other lakes hurting. I marked and caught quite a few far away from anyone after a little time on a couple busy spots. Just try to be friendly and have fun. Smile at the nimrods and catch fish where they can see it. Usually their mood is tied to how bad they're doing. smile

2011 Outboard Skiff(OB19) Home Built
http://bateau2.com/

[Linked Image]
Re: Fishing Etiquette Questions [Re: mikebass78] #11621892 05/24/16 07:31 AM
N
nate king Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted By: mikebass78
Originally Posted By: RodBreaker aka cwill
Come within 50 yards of me you will get an ugly look. Within 30 yards and you will probably eat a rattle trap or at least hear some words

jerks like this shouldn't have boats....

i've been at lewisville and fork when sandies and hybrids(lewisville) were running...there are many boats, well within 50 yards, some even 30 or closer, no problems, everyones catching fishing, I dont care if you tie your boat onto mine, there are plenty of fish for everyone

i wish someone would throw a lure at me purposely...say whatever you want, but lures on purpose are a threat...be careful...that could turn ugly really quick and not very smart on your part...

Don't make huge wakes....is about all I can, don't cross lines.

I will say it's all public water, bank and open water...no one owns it, so you can fish where ever you like

wow!!! no kidding. 50 yards and 30 yards? That kind of spacing belongs on the ocean.

sponsored by Photo Bucket LLC

Originally Posted By: Anchorman
I'm thinking Nate is probably right.
Re: Fishing Etiquette Questions [Re: DarrellSimpson] #11622343 05/24/16 02:18 PM
B
BassSAT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I know what you mean Steven1968, I always wave and try to be curteous
out on the lakes, but some guy's are to good to wave or they just
look away...

I guess their mad at the world..!

Re: Fishing Etiquette Questions [Re: DarrellSimpson] #11622529 05/24/16 03:31 PM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
Yeah, I was kinda hoping Rodbreaker would respond and make it easier to identify him so I could stay clear , I don't want to aggravate someone that is volatile and packing a gun or a knife and is willing to use it , I don't want to die on a boat ramp over fishing like that guy did a few yrs ago .

This is why I have asked about etiquette so that I don't miss out on something obscure or not so obvious to a more seasoned boater .

JIM SR . I really wasn't trying to get off topic , I found schooling fish Saturday quite a distance from shore on Lavon Saturday and there were several bass boats flying around at high speed , and I started to wonder if I could be rude my accidently fishing a boat lane , They went around me very easily since it was wide open water but I still had some concerns .

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide