Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Future of Tawakoni? [Re: Streetwalker] #11575270 04/30/16 05:09 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Thank you Frank thumb

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Future of Tawakoni? [Re: BankAngler50] #11575432 04/30/16 08:55 PM
S
Streetwalker Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: BankAngler50
Originally Posted By: ATM97
To answer the original question, the texoma guides are probably not going to effect the lake at all. Unless something has changed, guides do not keep any fish for themselves. The fish that are taken out of any lake are harvested by guys just like you and me that buy a fishing license too. The fact that they are on someone elses boat should make no difference. I think most guys that hire guides go maybe once or twice a year. If you think about it, is it that unreasonable that they harvest 30-60 fish in an entire year? After all, their license cost helped to put those fish in the lake for everyone to enjoy. Yes every fish that is taken is one less that can be caught in the future but low lake levels resulting in suboptimal white bass spawns, and hybrids and stripers flowing over the spillway in high water situations likely have far more impact on the long term future of a lake than several dozen additional anglers harvesting their limit a few times a year. And that doesn't factor in other predators like tens of thousands of comerants or a lake full of monster catfish that will kill whatever they can get in their mouth 24/7 year round. Just seems like blaming 10 guys that are helping the average fisherman enjoy a day on the lake with some friends and maybe put a few fish in the freezer or have a fish fry with their family is unreasonable.

Thank you ATM97 for putting the discussion back in the water of Lake Tawakoni and talking about those resident species that are most relevant here. Yours is the first post that I have seen here that cover lake Tawakoni ecosystem. It's my belief that only discussion like this will lead to a real workable solution. Comparing apple and orange, lumping totally different species from thousands of miles away in very different circumstances is a diversion, I simply fail to see a convergence of wild salmon and sturgeon spawning to the sterile put and take hybrids and stripers in Tawakoni. Following the lead of blue catfish to attain "world class" status for hybrids and stripers in lake Tawakoni is rediculous. What is "world class" hybrids, or stripers, for stripers in our Arkansas is around 60 lb, too far fetch in a shallow lake like Tawakoni. Also termilogy like "meat market" is just totally off base, you can't buy game fish, the fishermen has to learn how to catch the fish, it's called fishing, fishermen go fishing, they catch fish, they bring fish home... or get skunk and bring home nothing....

Btw, the picture is priceless, a picture speaks a thousand words. thumb

The majority of the salmon are raised in hatcheries.

If you can't connect over use of a resource leads to less of a resource I can't help ya.

Also Costco had hybrid striped bass for sale a couple of weeks ago. Go into any Asian fish market and you'll see them for sale.

Semper Fi

This Veteran heavily medicated for your safety. Keep me fishing and all will be well.
Re: Future of Tawakoni? [Re: Streetwalker] #11575521 04/30/16 11:06 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Lol, go to meat market with your wallet, go fishing with your fishing gears, skills and lucks. A fisherman prefer to eat his fresh caught fish, most men understand this but some don't, that's ok, but anymore discussion on this is pointless.

On the use of or conservation of resources, in my opinion, we need to look at the whole picture and take a holistic approach to really find a workable solution. ATM97 touched on several good points, tens of thousands of comerants, a lake full of monster catfish, remember the picture? , and fish going over the spillway, etc. Plus, I my add some fish went up the rivers and have not returned.

Did y'all know that hundreds of people have been catching limits of hybrids below the spillway for over a month now? My friends and I had been catching quite a few of 9-10 lb hybrids at the spillway since the first major flood. Now keep in mind once the fish went over the spillway they can't return to the lake. There are more hybrids being caught below the spillway then what the guides are catching on the lake. And this is just one example where you just see one symptom and react with absolute fervor and diverge the whole discussion from ever finding the cure for the disease. We all enjoy fishing at Tawakoni, I love that lake and want nothing less for the next generation, let's look at the whole picture and find a workable cure that will have lasting positive impact on this special lake.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Future of Tawakoni? [Re: Streetwalker] #11577133 05/02/16 12:26 AM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
popcorn2

Re: Future of Tawakoni? [Re: Streetwalker] #11577136 05/02/16 12:30 AM
R
Rockwall Roy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Then go for a meet haul on the other side of the dam.

Re: Future of Tawakoni? [Re: Streetwalker] #11579864 05/03/16 10:07 AM
N
nate king Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
I have been on the dock at holiday marina since i was 8 yrs old, before it was called the "guide dock" My family still has a house boat on that dock, and I have an RV spot at holiday. Some of my favorite times is going down there to see what the guides bring in. Now days I really enjoy seeing customers come in with their guides and they have opted to release most of the fish and only keep what they think they can reasonably take home to eat without it going to waste.

sponsored by Photo Bucket LLC

Originally Posted By: Anchorman
I'm thinking Nate is probably right.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide