Forums59
Topics1,039,932
Posts13,972,679
Members144,225
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11390661 02/04/16 04:51 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Yeah lol line crazy high but I fish conventional a lot for bass still and I use Segar ENVIZEX florocarbon exclusively. If I use a monofilament backing to fill some of the school I can get three reels out of a spool. I fish 9-12 reels depending on the year. I respool every 4-6 months more often on reels I use more. At 20 bucks a spool I finally used this to think it's really cheap to get fly line that when cleaned conditioned and taken care of I know last as long as 7 years about what I get out of mine and that's with very heavy use two days a week plus trout vacations plus close to 90 days straight during the Sandbass run Give or take a day. But I just got a new line on my 4 it is absolutely the best wine I have ever fished I got it in the bargain Cave at Cabela's markdown from 90 to 40 because it did not have a box to go with it or a spool it was wrapped up with a trash bag tied around it. Best Buy in a long time. They almost always have a few spools of fly line in the bargain Cave if you can find one that matches your rod weight

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11391092 02/04/16 02:26 PM
T
Texomasooner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
In my opinion, the most economical way to get set up is buying a combo. If you try "googling" TFO combos you will find there are places, including Cabelas, that will build you a combo at a discount vs buying everything individually. I personally have Orvis, Cabelas, & Ross reels and honestly I think the reel is just a tool to hold you line. I may be wrong and one day change the way I retrieve but for about 5 years now I can count on one hand the number of times I actually used my reel to fight a fish. I agree with Robert, TFO is a little more expensive upfront but you will appreciate it down the road if you break a section of your rod. Their warranty is second to none! I would suggest a 5wt for what you're talking about, however, I use my 3wt Finesse rod 10 trips to 1 over my 5wt. I would suggest, for bank fishing, sticking with a 9' or 10' rod mainly for roll casting purposes. I think (I'm not an expert by any means) you can get more distance with the longer rod and less effort.

Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11391096 02/04/16 02:28 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Well I decided I better go a cheaper route cause the most I'd probably get to flyfish in a year will be probably less than 3-4 times a year and I would hate to invest too high and not be able to use it more often . I think i'll look at some cheaper combo selections . I knew flies weren't cheap but never checked out the line , leaders and backing total cost . But i'll still keep ,all info in mind .

RonL
Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11391152 02/04/16 02:56 PM
T
Texomasooner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I found my TFO Finesse rod online at a fly shop in California for $109 plus about $10 shipping. The guy was dropping the TFO brand and wanted to get rid of them and I helped. (Did my heart good to help a guy out)

Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11392108 02/04/16 08:58 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
That's a steal

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11392114 02/04/16 09:00 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: RonL
Well I decided I better go a cheaper route cause the most I'd probably get to flyfish in a year will be probably less than 3-4 times a year and I would hate to invest too high and not be able to use it more often . I think i'll look at some cheaper combo selections . I knew flies weren't cheap but never checked out the line , leaders and backing total cost . But i'll still keep ,all info in mind .
that is why I was saying if if you feel like you might not stick with it go ahead and just get a cheap start up but once you get started a lot of conventional gear may be going by the wayside. With what you're describing I would just get one of the Cabela's or basspro starter kit so that's ready to go it will definitely get you in the game and you can upgrade after that

Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: Robert Hunter] #11392201 02/04/16 09:28 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: robert hunter
Originally Posted By: RonL
that is why I was saying if if you feel like you might not stick with it go ahead and just get a cheap start up but once you get started a lot of conventional gear may be going by the wayside. With what you're describing I would just get one of the Cabela's or basspro starter kit so that's ready to go it will definitely get you in the game and you can upgrade after that

Thanks for the info input and help ! I've got a few I'm thinking on right now , just deciding which way to go . Below are ones I'm thinking about .

Cabelas Prestige Collection

Cabelas RLS= Fly Combo

Cabelas LSi/Lamson Liquid Combo

RonL
Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11392326 02/04/16 10:06 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
I have that prestige kit in a 5wt looks like it has some added stuff for a start up for the described use that you have and getting into it I think that would be the perfect model for you. What are you mostly planning to target? If you are looking at maybe fishing for some bass maybe carp Sandbass even down to Sunfish for a start up I really think five is the weight you need to go with. That keeps you right in the middle. Check out the thread I started on four weight and under fish. I think you'll see you'll be able to tackle almost anything you're looking for With a 5 even a four would be fine imo.

Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11392452 02/04/16 10:57 PM
B
BACKSEATWILLIE Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I think you had better read the reviews on cabbalas rod before you make your decision. Lots of broke rods. It very well could be just that those people are idiots, with reviews you just never know. However, a buddy of mine bought a bait casting rod from there and it did the same thing as many of these reviewers are saying, tip snapped on hookset. Im not not a Cabelas basher, actually love Cabelas. I have several of their Cableas brand bait casting reels (made by diawa) and they are great. If you are comfortable with it after reading the reviews then go for it, i however wouldn't be. So for alternative starter kits: TFO has ben mentioned, how about Ross or Scientific anglers, bass pro, and those are all i can think of at the moment. Those are just suggestions i know little about them so do your research before you buy.

Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11392495 02/04/16 11:11 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R

A 9 ft 5 wt is the most popular rod in the US. It is a middle of the pack size and it makes a good general purpose rod freshwater rod.

One note, the size or "weight" of the rod determines how large of a fly you can comfortably cast, not the size of the fish you can catch. So, if you plan on fishing 2/0 deer hair bass poppers, you will struggle to cast them with a 5 wt. But there are plenty of other flies that will cast just fine with a 5 wt.

A combo rod/reel setup is a good way to get started since you get everything that matches all together. Purchased separately, it is important to get a good fly line, but as mentioned there are some good general purpose lines available in the $40 range include one offered by TFO. You can also often find fly lines in the Bargain Cave and other sale locations.

Cabela's offers some popular combo setups and they are OFTEN on sale, sometimes at very good prices. Bass Pro also offers combos. Obviously, I'm biased toward TFO rods, but it is important to pick out something that fits your budget and that you will be proud to use while fishing. If you never get a fly rod due to the cost, then you'll never discover how much fun this style of fishing is! smile

Good luck with the shopping! I used to live in West Texas too and I know how challenging it can be to shop for a fly rod in the area.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11392538 02/04/16 11:32 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Thanks again everyone for the great input and info tips . Like I mentioned I'm mainly after pan fish up to maybe a max of 5-lb bass if I'm ever that lucky . I'll be bank fishing so most shore fish are probably going to be under 3-lbs. Don't know if i'll ever get to Trout fish unless I head up north somewhere but seriously doubt i'll have that chance . No creeks or streams or rivers close to me in W.Texas . One lake I like well is Allen Henry up north east of me and maybe sometimes over at BigSprings state park lake . Then if I go on vacation elsewhere just whatever lake , pond or river I might have a chance to try out . I have a set of real cheap flyrods I've had probably 15 or more years but they seldom get used . All the flies I had from back then have deteriorated or got lost so have to buy some new starter flies also .

RonL
Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11392752 02/05/16 01:20 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Going after smaller fish with five pound bass being a max target I would really consider a 4wt then over a 5

Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: Robert Hunter] #11393415 02/05/16 12:14 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: robert hunter
Going after smaller fish with five pound bass being a max target I would really consider a 4wt then over a 5

Would a 5-7wt less likely to get a broke tip than a 4wt ? One thing I always dread most is having a broke tip when fishing . For regular bass fishing I use a open face casting reel 7' med stiffness. Never had a broke tip yet.

Last edited by RonL; 02/05/16 12:17 PM.

RonL
Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11394286 02/05/16 05:47 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
No I think if your going to break one it's going to break. The only time I have broken a tip on one is when I did something wrong to do it car door or what have you. Targeting Gilsan small bass with the flyrod I think you would get a lot more enjoyment out of the lower weight rod

Re: Need help choosing combo fly rod/reel for bank fishing [Re: RonL] #11394346 02/05/16 06:18 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
I got a nephew that uses a high end Sage rods at 1wt & 2wt. I can't afford those rods at all ! He uses the mouse patterns for bass .

RonL
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide