Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Primary decision on Boat? [Re: West Texas FX] #11314388 12/31/15 06:27 PM
B
brennansgrandpa Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Did not want to clog up the forum with more posts, but wanted to share something with you. If you are looking at a 21' boat you owe it to yourself to look at the BassCat Jaguar. This is their flagship ride and it is a monster of a boat. Huge front deck, two guys could dance up there all day long with room to spare. Massive storage, fabulous ride and a very well made boat. So much so that guys are running them with 300+ motors. I have a 250 ProXS on mine and with a reasonable load in it 70mph is possible. With a 300 Verado it would be a speed machine! Check the owners forum as every once in a while a used one hits the board, but they go quick and BC owners baby their boats.

All the best with your selection and tight lines!

Tom

Basscat Boat Owner
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Primary decision on Boat? [Re: West Texas FX] #11314522 12/31/15 07:31 PM
Brian Schuler Offline
Angler
Angler
All of the above are fine boats. If you truely want the best bass fishing boat made for the money look at the Allison 21-XST. Moderately priced and and has the same hull as the XB21, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles (superfluous fancy [censored]). Put a 225 on it and out run 99% of the field. Plus it is a much better/safer ride, very stable platform on the troller, and way more storage than 99% of any other boat out there. Plus the fuel efficiency is mind boggling compared to all others on the water. I was skeptical until I bought my XB21 BasSport Pro Elite. Once you ride in one in other than perfect water you will see what I'm talking about. They are awesome!

Brian

HAWG Hunter
Semper Fi
"Catch the Dream"
2013 Allison XB21 BasSport Pro Elite
250 Mercury Sport XS
Re: Primary decision on Boat? [Re: Huntinnfishin] #11315420 01/01/16 02:32 AM
LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Huntinnfishin
This boat isnt on your list, but I'll put my input in anyway. Ive owned, skeeter, ranger, basscat, triton, javelin, cajun, and an astro. I own a Triton now and I plan to stick with it until it falls appart. Ride is unreal, gets on plane in no time flat, 21' with a 200 Yamaha and I can get 71 mph with 3 people. My second choice would be basscat. Almost as good of a ride as the triton.

Glad to see someone else add Triton even though you didn't have it on your final list. I too have owned almost every brand. In fact, I've bought and sold many boats over the years and have personal experience with them all.

After buying used boats of all brands I just recently bought a brand new Triton 20TRX. I have been running a TR21 recently and will say it is BY FAR the best rough water boat to me. I'm not sponsored by any of them so it's my honest opinion.

I put the new 20TRX on the water yesterday for the first time to start the break-in procedure on the motor. I absolutely love the ride. Rayburn got decently rough yesterday and it was just as good a ride as the TR21 that I have for sale now.

Some people complain about the Triton having a bad chine walk and I have owned a couple of older Tritons ('99-'01 models) that did that some, but the 2005 TR21 I've been running doesn't do it at all. When I get done breaking in this new one and get to open it up I will see if this 20TRX chines, but I don't expect it to.

I'm not a speed demon at all. I am concerned first about ride in rough water and then about fuel economy. Triton, in my opinion, has the best ride. This wasn't a question about motors, but if someone does ask I always say Merc now. Again, I've owned all motors since I flip boats and Merc has yet to give me any trouble and are VERY fuel efficient.

With my opinion shared I must say that a good friend of mine just bought a 21' Phoenix and I rode with him on Fayette the other day and was VERY impressed. I would buy one without hesitation if I hadn't bought the Triton.

My other buddy just bought a 2015 Ranger Z521 and it's probably the best rig for stability while fishing. When you walk from one side of the deck to the other the boat stays level better than most other boats. However, you almost have to own a bank to afford the Ranger. If you have the money and like the stability then I can't fault you for going that route. Awesome resale because they hold their value very well. The little things like compartment handles, etc. are well made and last.

I've owned a million Skeeters and would still be flipping them if they would have Mercs on them. The fact that you can't buy one in the 2005-2009 range without an HPDI (aka ticking time bomb) has me buying more Tritons and others now.

I just bought a 2010 Bass Cat Panterra II that is going up for sale this weekend. It too seems to be a well-built boat. The compartment handles and such are heavy duty. I like the boat a lot.

Really the only boat I don't have much experience with is a Nitro. Many people consider them a "cheap boat", but I have a couple of buddies that run them and say they are great. Just can't speak from experience on them.

My best advice (besides buy a Merc) is to buy whichever one you like the features of. When you're on the water fishing and have the nice features there handy you'll be glad you did. Seems like all the manufacturers have a couple of unique features that are different than others. Find which ones you like and don't turn back.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I hope you get treated well and enjoy the new boat. Hope you catch your new personal best your first trip out!

Happy New Year!

Last edited by LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders; 01/01/16 02:35 AM.

Tx Burger..."You could find a cheaper burger, but then you'd have to eat it!"
V&M Baits...give the fish what they really want !!!
Re: Primary decision on Boat? [Re: West Texas FX] #11317469 01/02/16 04:36 AM
TexasMo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
so, I bought another Basscat.. and here is why.
1. Unlimited liftetime transferable warranty. TO me, that is customer service and pride in a product.. I am not aware of any other warranty like that.
2. The right to CHOOSE!!!... I got to pick all of the color options, electronics, motors, etc.. all were my choices, so I got what I wanted instead of being forced into parts I didn't want and have to pay to upgrade them.
3. Storage. The Basscat Caracal has a ton of storage up front with center rod locker.. which was a must for me... keeps me from kicking sticks off while opening a rod locker.
4. Looks.. my car looks sharp.. I receive compliments on it everywhere it goes.. and that is because I pick colors like no other.. and people just like it.
5. fits me.. I am tall.. an I have plenty o room and comfort while riding. 70 MPH plus... not bad for a 19ft boat.
6. LED's in all compartments.. lighted hand rails... all fiberglass... no plastic.. so again.. the rig just looks sharp. Customer wheels, etc..
7. big livewell and fuel cells... have yet to lose a fish in their livewells... plus the gauge lay out on the console and solid state switches are just awesome
8. local dealer support.. Rockwall MArine rocks.. enough said on that.
9. Pasenger rod box. The Caracal has a rod locker for your partners' rods
10. IT's MINE....
[img:center][/img]

Rip some Lips ya'll.
Re: Primary decision on Boat? [Re: TexasMo] #11317489 01/02/16 04:47 AM
Brian McCarty Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TexasMo
1. Unlimited liftetime transferable warranty. TO me, that is customer service and pride in a product.. I am not aware of any other warranty like that.
2. The right to CHOOSE!!!... I got to pick all of the color options, electronics, motors, etc.. all were my choices, so I got what I wanted instead of being forced into parts I didn't want and have to pay to upgrade them.
3. Storage. The Basscat Caracal has a ton of storage up front with center rod locker.. which was a must for me... keeps me from kicking sticks off while opening a rod locker.
4. Looks.. my car looks sharp.. I receive compliments on it everywhere it goes.. and that is because I pick colors like no other.. and people just like it.
5. fits me.. I am tall.. an I have plenty o room and comfort while riding. 70 MPH plus... not bad for a 19ft boat.
6. LED's in all compartments.. lighted hand rails... all fiberglass... no plastic.. so again.. the rig just looks sharp. Customer wheels, etc..
7. big livewell and fuel cells... have yet to lose a fish in their livewells... plus the gauge lay out on the console and solid state switches are just awesome
10. IT's MINE....

Gorgeous BassCat!

Re: Primary decision on Boat? [Re: West Texas FX] #11317619 01/02/16 07:47 AM
T
toddfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
It all boils down to what you're going to be happy with. I'm thrilled with my BassCat, and I have friends who own Legend, Nitro, Triton, Skeeter, and Stratos, and they're all happy with their boats. and like others have posted, dealer location is a factor. Being in the greater Houston area, I have dealers of most all the major brands nearby. Bought my Cat from Bowden Marine in Humble and couldn't be happier with the way William and his staff have treated me. Go get what your heart is set on and let us know how it turns out. Good luck and good fishing!

Re: Primary decision on Boat? [Re: Brian McCarty] #11318454 01/02/16 10:25 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Brian McCarty
10. IT's MINE....

Gorgeous BassCat!

Plus one!! Awesome looking boat!

I bought mine (a bass cat but only 18ft and not near as cool looking as that one) based on
Use/need- I'm kinda specific so my needs were different than some.
Reliability
Service-not too far away from you would be better.
In that order.
Good thread - all those boats above would be fine imo.

Re: Primary decision on Boat? [Re: Dr JL] #11318465 01/02/16 10:33 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Dr JL
Originally Posted By: Brian McCarty
10. IT's MINE....

Gorgeous BassCat!

Plus one!! Awesome looking boat!

I bought mine (a bass cat but only 18ft and not near as cool looking as that one) based on
Use/need- I'm kinda specific so my needs were different than some.
Reliability
Service-not too far away from you would be better.
In that order.
Good thread - all those boats above would be fine imo.

Not a fan of how 'cats look normally but this one just changed my mind, nice ride.

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: Primary decision on Boat? [Re: West Texas FX] #11321637 01/04/16 03:22 PM
M
mule29 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
BassCat for sure

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index