11272923 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10874256 - 05/26/15 08:50 PM Copolymer line
BlaiseWeimer Offline
Angler

Loc: Coppell, Texas
How many of yall use copolymer? Does it stretch? What are some advantages/disadvantages? How does it match up to fluorocarbon?

#10874275 - 05/26/15 08:54 PM Re: Copolymer line [Re: BlaiseWeimer]
TXWingStinger Online   content
Outdoorsman

I ordered two spools of p line cxx a few days ago, it'll be my first time Using a copolymer. I was wondering the same things. Stretch, float or sink, and what kind of knots you can use with it

#10874330 - 05/26/15 09:15 PM Re: Copolymer line [Re: BlaiseWeimer]
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: DFW
More sensitive than fluoro with less memory or stretch. And super strong compared to the same diameter. It's very low stretch but if you start getting too much coil memory in it, tie it off to something and stretch it really hard and it'll go limp again, it's awesome. And it sinks. Really abrasion resistant too. I like P Line personally.

#10874403 - 05/26/15 09:43 PM Re: Copolymer line [Re: BlaiseWeimer]
Mayo Offline
Angler

I absolutely love P-line copolymer. I use it on just about everything.

#10874411 - 05/26/15 09:46 PM Re: Copolymer line [Re: BlaiseWeimer]
BlaiseWeimer Offline
Angler

Loc: Coppell, Texas
Is it good for cranking?

#10874492 - 05/26/15 10:14 PM Re: Copolymer line [Re: BlaiseWeimer]
Thad Rains Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Lubbock, Texas.
I use it on all of my moving baits and my T-rig/jig rods. I use McCoys Mean Green since 2000 and LOVE IT. It has almost no memory (compared to big game), it got a good amount of stretch and is abrasion resistant. I have straightened out #4 hooks with 15# test. On 20# test I can pull the boat backwards to get off of a snag. VERY good line for everything except C-rigs. If you used it for your main line and a mono leader, you would be fine. McCoys is made with silicone, so it is GREAT for topwater, CBs and SBs. Best all around line I know of. OH, do not use flouro on your C-rig leader, as it sinks, why do you want your bait to sink, I want mine to float up off of the bottom, if possible. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Let me clarify something. I do not like copoly main line and leader material, too much stretch for me. Lost way too many fish on hook sets with this set up. I use mono main line and copoly leader, to help float the bait off the bottom (McCoys Mean Green). I do not have the same problems with my jig/T-rig setups, so I just may be me. Don't know. Hope this clears things up a little bit.

tr

Edited by Thad Rains (05/27/15 10:28 AM)

Thad Rains

#10874498 - 05/26/15 10:16 PM Re: Copolymer line [Re: timwins31]
Tristen Offline
Angler

Loc: Fayetteville, AR
Originally Posted By: timwins31
More sensitive than fluoro

Not trying to argue, but I feel like it's less sensitive. During what application is it more sensitive for you? I had a chatterbait tied on to a rod and reel with fluoro and one with co polymer. When slow rolling it I could feel the blade a lot more with the Fluoro. Anyone have an opinion on this?

#10874668 - 05/27/15 12:20 AM Re: Copolymer line [Re: timwins31]
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: timwins31
More sensitive than fluoro with less memory or stretch. And super strong compared to the same diameter. It's very low stretch but if you start getting too much coil memory in it, tie it off to something and stretch it really hard and it'll go limp again, it's awesome. And it sinks. Really abrasion resistant too. I like P Line personally.

So less stretch that fluoro?

#10874669 - 05/27/15 12:21 AM Re: Copolymer line [Re: Thad Rains]
TeamSkeeter20i Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
I use it on all of my moving baits and my T-rig/jig rods. I use McCoys Mean Green since 2000 and LOVE IT. It has almost no memory (compared to big game), it got a good amount of stretch and is abrasion resistant. I have straightened out #4 hooks with 15# test. On 20# test I can pull the boat backwards to get off of a snag. VERY good line for everything except C-rigs. If you used it for your main line and a mono leader, you would be fine. McCoys is made with silicone, so it is GREAT for topwater, CBs and SBs. Best all around line I know of. OH, do not use flouro on your C-rig leader, as it sinks, why do you want your bait to sink, I want mine to float up off of the bottom, if possible. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

I agree copolymer is great line. I use McCoy's Mean Green and have no complaints at all.

#10874697 - 05/27/15 01:23 AM Re: Copolymer line [Re: BlaiseWeimer]
Flippin-Out Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Magnolia, TX
So less stretch that fluoro

I've been using copolymer lines for decades and have been very happy with them. I view it as an upgrade replacement for monofilament line applications. Good copolymer offers improvements over mono with no perceptible disadvantage. I have used P-Line Cxxx for some time and find it to have impressive performance. The other I use is Trilene Sensation.

Cost: less expensive than anything other than mono
Knots: Same as with mono, no special requirements like braid or fluoro
Sensitivity: way better than mono, not as good as braid, not a lot less than fluoro but without fluoro hassles
Stretch: between mono and braid, but not sure how it stacks against fluoro (I think most fluoro wins this one)

Remember, some stretch is good, helps absorb shock. I don't use mono for anything on my good bass rigs, but I do use copolymer, braid, fluoro. So far, fluoro is only on deep crankbait rods and one jerkbait rod - for the extra depth it helps provide. Otherwise, I don't see a lot of personal need for fluoro.

#10874706 - 05/27/15 02:44 AM Re: Copolymer line [Re: Flippin-Out]
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

I've been using copolymer lines for decades and have been very happy with them. I view it as an upgrade replacement for monofilament line applications. Good copolymer offers improvements over mono with no perceptible disadvantage. I have used P-Line Cxxx for some time and find it to have impressive performance. The other I use is Trilene Sensation.

Sensitivity: way better than mono, not as good as braid, not a lot less than fluoro but without fluoro hassles
Stretch: between mono and braid, but not sure how it stacks against fluoro (I think most fluoro wins this one)

Remember, some stretch is good, helps absorb shock. I don't use mono for anything on my good bass rigs, but I do use copolymer, braid, fluoro. So far, fluoro is only on deep crankbait rods and one jerkbait rod - for the extra depth it helps provide. Otherwise, I don't see a lot of personal need for fluoro.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that, answered almost all of my questions. Only other question I have is does it float?

#10874711 - 05/27/15 04:04 AM Re: Copolymer line [Re: BlaiseWeimer]
slshaneus Online   content
Angler

i have gone to copoly, i use izorline, got rid of all the flouro, i was a invizx user but it stretches more than mono... and that was my reason for going to flouro was less stretch, but i was wrong.....for those who dont know the facts here ya go..... numbers on stretch strength etc...
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfpiintro.html
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

#10874727 - 05/27/15 05:07 AM Re: Copolymer line [Re: BlaiseWeimer]
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Livingston Tx
McCoys is what I use if not using flouro.

#10874823 - 05/27/15 07:09 AM Re: Copolymer line [Re: BlaiseWeimer]
kscatman76 Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Kansas
I use Pline CXX a lot and love it. I especially love the 6 pound test on spinning rods and 12 pound test for crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

#10874831 - 05/27/15 07:13 AM Re: Copolymer line [Re: TXWingStinger]
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: TXWingStinger
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

Thanks for taking the time to type all that, answered almost all of my questions. Only other question I have is does it float?

No it sinks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide