Texas Fishing Forum

Copolymer line

Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Copolymer line - 05/27/15 01:50 AM

How many of yall use copolymer? Does it stretch? What are some advantages/disadvantages? How does it match up to fluorocarbon?
Posted By: TXWingStinger

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 01:54 AM

I ordered two spools of p line cxx a few days ago, it'll be my first time Using a copolymer. I was wondering the same things. Stretch, float or sink, and what kind of knots you can use with it
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 02:15 AM

More sensitive than fluoro with less memory or stretch. And super strong compared to the same diameter. It's very low stretch but if you start getting too much coil memory in it, tie it off to something and stretch it really hard and it'll go limp again, it's awesome. And it sinks. Really abrasion resistant too. I like P Line personally.
Posted By: Mayo

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 02:43 AM

I absolutely love P-line copolymer. I use it on just about everything.
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 02:46 AM

Is it good for cranking?
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 03:14 AM

I use it on all of my moving baits and my T-rig/jig rods. I use McCoys Mean Green since 2000 and LOVE IT. It has almost no memory (compared to big game), it got a good amount of stretch and is abrasion resistant. I have straightened out #4 hooks with 15# test. On 20# test I can pull the boat backwards to get off of a snag. VERY good line for everything except C-rigs. If you used it for your main line and a mono leader, you would be fine. McCoys is made with silicone, so it is GREAT for topwater, CBs and SBs. Best all around line I know of. OH, do not use flouro on your C-rig leader, as it sinks, why do you want your bait to sink, I want mine to float up off of the bottom, if possible. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Let me clarify something. I do not like copoly main line and leader material, too much stretch for me. Lost way too many fish on hook sets with this set up. I use mono main line and copoly leader, to help float the bait off the bottom (McCoys Mean Green). I do not have the same problems with my jig/T-rig setups, so I just may be me. Don't know. Hope this clears things up a little bit.

tr
Posted By: Tristen

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: timwins31
More sensitive than fluoro

Not trying to argue, but I feel like it's less sensitive. During what application is it more sensitive for you? I had a chatterbait tied on to a rod and reel with fluoro and one with co polymer. When slow rolling it I could feel the blade a lot more with the Fluoro. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: timwins31
More sensitive than fluoro with less memory or stretch. And super strong compared to the same diameter. It's very low stretch but if you start getting too much coil memory in it, tie it off to something and stretch it really hard and it'll go limp again, it's awesome. And it sinks. Really abrasion resistant too. I like P Line personally.

So less stretch that fluoro?
Posted By: TeamSkeeter20i

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
I use it on all of my moving baits and my T-rig/jig rods. I use McCoys Mean Green since 2000 and LOVE IT. It has almost no memory (compared to big game), it got a good amount of stretch and is abrasion resistant. I have straightened out #4 hooks with 15# test. On 20# test I can pull the boat backwards to get off of a snag. VERY good line for everything except C-rigs. If you used it for your main line and a mono leader, you would be fine. McCoys is made with silicone, so it is GREAT for topwater, CBs and SBs. Best all around line I know of. OH, do not use flouro on your C-rig leader, as it sinks, why do you want your bait to sink, I want mine to float up off of the bottom, if possible. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

I agree copolymer is great line. I use McCoy's Mean Green and have no complaints at all.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 06:23 AM

So less stretch that fluoro

I've been using copolymer lines for decades and have been very happy with them. I view it as an upgrade replacement for monofilament line applications. Good copolymer offers improvements over mono with no perceptible disadvantage. I have used P-Line Cxxx for some time and find it to have impressive performance. The other I use is Trilene Sensation.

Cost: less expensive than anything other than mono
Knots: Same as with mono, no special requirements like braid or fluoro
Sensitivity: way better than mono, not as good as braid, not a lot less than fluoro but without fluoro hassles
Stretch: between mono and braid, but not sure how it stacks against fluoro (I think most fluoro wins this one)

Remember, some stretch is good, helps absorb shock. I don't use mono for anything on my good bass rigs, but I do use copolymer, braid, fluoro. So far, fluoro is only on deep crankbait rods and one jerkbait rod - for the extra depth it helps provide. Otherwise, I don't see a lot of personal need for fluoro.

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

I've been using copolymer lines for decades and have been very happy with them. I view it as an upgrade replacement for monofilament line applications. Good copolymer offers improvements over mono with no perceptible disadvantage. I have used P-Line Cxxx for some time and find it to have impressive performance. The other I use is Trilene Sensation.

Sensitivity: way better than mono, not as good as braid, not a lot less than fluoro but without fluoro hassles
Stretch: between mono and braid, but not sure how it stacks against fluoro (I think most fluoro wins this one)

Remember, some stretch is good, helps absorb shock. I don't use mono for anything on my good bass rigs, but I do use copolymer, braid, fluoro. So far, fluoro is only on deep crankbait rods and one jerkbait rod - for the extra depth it helps provide. Otherwise, I don't see a lot of personal need for fluoro.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that, answered almost all of my questions. Only other question I have is does it float?
Posted By: slshaneus

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 09:04 AM

i have gone to copoly, i use izorline, got rid of all the flouro, i was a invizx user but it stretches more than mono... and that was my reason for going to flouro was less stretch, but i was wrong.....for those who dont know the facts here ya go..... numbers on stretch strength etc...
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfpiintro.html
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 10:07 AM

McCoys is what I use if not using flouro.
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 12:09 PM

I use Pline CXX a lot and love it. I especially love the 6 pound test on spinning rods and 12 pound test for crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TXWingStinger
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

Thanks for taking the time to type all that, answered almost all of my questions. Only other question I have is does it float?

No it sinks.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 12:30 PM

P-Line CX Premium is a fluoro coated copolymer, best of both worlds without being brittle so no memory or knot issues.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 12:54 PM

I use P-Line CXX and McCoys Mean Green for many applications. Both are very good copolymer lines. P-Line has a new one out called Voltage and the reviews on it are good. It is supposed to be as strong as the CXX but with less memory. It is not as sensitive as fluorocarbon line but it is good enough. CX Premium is good line also.

If you choose to go with P-Line CXX check the diameter of the line you are wanting, not the #test rating on the box. CXX is a lot thicker than CX-Premium when you compare the #test rating on the box.

As far as fluorocarbon lines go, I have had very good luck with Invizx. I mostly use 20,15, and 12.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 01:17 PM

Keep in mind that there are different types of copolymer line; thus different copolymers might be better for different applications.

McCoy's Mean Green is silicone impregnated monofilament it floats
Silver Thread Line is made with polymerization of different nylon monomers it floats
Yo-Zuri Hybrid is molecularly bonded nylon (mono) and fluorocarbon it sinks
PLine CX and CXX are monofilaments with fluorocarbon silicone coating it sinks slowly

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 01:21 PM

P-Line cx and cxx are not mono, they are coated copolymer lines
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 01:46 PM

Pline is not a monomer of nylon, thus it is a copolymer. Pline is nylon (mono) blended with (polymerized with) a fluorocarbon/silicone coating.
Posted By: Scott-12

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 02:27 PM

What CXX does everybody prefer? Clear Fluorescent or Crystal Clear? Thanks.
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 02:31 PM

I use the green 100% of the time. kind of a light green color, I like It a lot.

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Scott-12
What CXX does everybody prefer? Clear Fluorescent or Crystal Clear? Thanks.

I use the moss green color actually. That stuff disappears in almost all water clarity.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 03:45 PM

The Holy Grail of fishing: finding the ultimate line.

Maybe lures would actually trump line, I suppose it would.

I wonder if within another technological cycle, they will find new copolymers that more than meet the needs for most fishing applications? If so, my guess is that fluorocarbon line is in big trouble . . . that it would be the line to suffer loss of market share.

One could fish copolymer straight up, or use the copolymer as a leader to braid.

Just a guess that mono is here to stay, braid too. Lots of these two line types of high quality and broad appeal.

Maybe this is the test for a copolymer that will make a big impact on fishing: One that can be used at fairly large sizes on spinning tackle. Not that you would, but as a primary criterion proving the line is supple. Of course, it will need to hold a knot, have great breaking strength and so forth.

Brad
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
P-Line CX Premium is a fluoro coated copolymer, best of both worlds without being brittle so no memory or knot issues.

Been using P-line CX Premium for years. Great stuff. I love the blue fluorescent color - very easy to see line movement.

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 05:31 PM

exactly
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 07:27 PM

T Line copolymer line by Mason for over 20 years.

Low stretch, very limp and castable, great knot strength, good abrasion qualities, floats.

Fluoro no bueno.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

T Line copolymer line by Mason for over 20 years.

Low stretch, very limp and castable, great knot strength, good abrasion qualities, floats.

Fluoro no bueno.

???

Lets look at this... Copoly has, more stretch than floru. Remember when Kevin Short won that tourney on a square bill on the elite series, he spoke SPECIFICALLY about how the extra stretch that the co-poly he was using had let them get it better when the bite was finicky cause it stretched and you didnt pull it away from them as bad. It is is MAYBE a little more limp(I think this depends on the flouro you are comparing too) but it is generally thicker diameter for line size so if you compare line size to line size, I think it is nearly the same. Along the fact that it is thicker it takes longer to saw through it...

SO lets compare diameter not "ratings" ratings are marketing tools too... Go look at tackletours line reviews they explain it well.

So if we talk about line that is the same diameter I think floro is MORE abrasion resistant(it is harder GENERALLY), has LESS stretch, and imo the same handling characteristics. It sinks or floats or is neutral depending on specific companies combination of materials.

think what you will, but low stretch and low vis is the primary selling point of floro.

I have one use for co-poly C-rig leader with a braid main line. Stretch there helps a little on the hook up and the leader and braid don't tangle like a braid leader does (a braid LEADER is worthless IMO)
Other than that it is a pain and i don't mess with it. It is INCREDIBLY stretchy, you can't feel a jig for or t-rig for anything. I guess on a moving bait it is ok but I can't stand the stuff...
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Copolymer line - 05/27/15 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: slshaneus
i have gone to copoly, i use izorline, got rid of all the flouro, i was a invizx user but it stretches more than mono... and that was my reason for going to flouro was less stretch, but i was wrong.....for those who dont know the facts here ya go..... numbers on stretch strength etc...
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfpiintro.html
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

Invisx was one of the FEW that was more than the mono compared too

Also if you keep reading line review the good people there actually say that in some cases the "real world" tests completely go against the way the lab tests seem to show. They straight up say this in one of the most recent line review articles lol

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewsunlineassassinfc.html

"However, what we've come to find since the debut of our fishing line performance indexes is that lab results don't necessarily correlate with on the water performance."

Like I said b4, they showed abrasion resistance to be mainly a quality of diameter of line. so companies that "underrate" thier line tend to show better abrasion resistance.

I also hate that tt hasn't tried some of the most poplular lines and most intersting... I want a tatsu review I would also like an inter company comparison of the qc of each line... compared all the way from 6lb to 25lb
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Copolymer line - 05/28/15 01:17 PM

I am totally satisfied with Invizx fluorocarbon, P-Line CXX, CX Premium, and McCoys Mean Green.

They all work very well for me. I do my own "reality" line testing on the water.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Copolymer line - 05/28/15 03:06 PM

There's really no magic to it. For lines other than braid if it's limber it's softer so it stretches and will offer less abrasion resistance. Stiff lines are harder so they stretch less which = more sensitivity and better abrasion resistance but are harder to handle and may change the action of some baits.

Fluoro is unique in that it's a dense single strand this means more sensitivity but unlike multiple strand nylons will fail if it kinks, burns or frays even a little bit. Other than that the rules above still apply.

Sink vs float is really only important on suspending and topwater baits when cranking the diameter of the line is more important. line with lower diameter of whichever pound test you desire will run deeper as they offer less resistance through the water.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Copolymer line - 05/31/15 01:22 AM

Tim is correct - it sinks. I have never really detected whether it sinks any faster or slower than mono. Both sink a bit more once they are sufficiently wetted, but not at all like fluoro.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum