Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: First Striper at Texoma [Re: MidwestFishers] #10758931 04/10/15 08:29 PM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted By: MidwestFishers
Thanks guys, yeah sadly our trip cut short at 5am, didnt get to fish the morning bite like i was expecting. around 9pm that night i caught a blue cat and a gar. threw them on the fire to cook. (first time having gar meat, pretty good) the gar had eggs and a friend and i had some of it. they ended up being pretty darn toxic. at around 4am, we started throwing up like crazy. lesson learned, Gar caviar is a big no no. hung

My goodness! Gar's eggs are toxic, your guys were too brave to eat that. Hope you guys are OK.

Re: First Striper at Texoma [Re: MidwestFishers] #10759110 04/10/15 09:59 PM
M
MidwestFishers Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Oh yeah we had a pretty fun night. my gf was sleeping on the mat wrapped in blankets, i looked over at the cooler and saw what looked like a big black widdow. Next time we are setting up a tent and will bring flame throwers! but yeah my buddy and i took two days to recover from those eggs. we might be back out there monday night if i decide to close the shop early and the weather is nice. im hooked now lol

Re: First Striper at Texoma [Re: MidwestFishers] #10761554 04/12/15 02:54 PM
F
FishHunter69 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Nice!

Re: First Striper at Texoma [Re: MidwestFishers] #10762328 04/12/15 11:07 PM
H
HobieRay57 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Way ta go.

Re: First Striper at Texoma [Re: MidwestFishers] #10764801 04/13/15 07:38 PM
Markk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Wow, never heard they were toxic. info from a quick google search:
More about poisonous gar eggs:

I came across this page (3/4 of the way to the bottom of the page)

http://my.core.com/~garman/garticlescience.htm

when I was searching for the toxin in gar eggs responsible for the severe illness my son and I encountered after consuming them. I caught and cleaned a 2' long gar in Laplace, LA My filipino mother in law who is visiting cooked them. My son had 2-4 spoonfuls mixed with rice, I had 1/2 a plate or so at about 9pm. At about 3am, I awoke to my som vomiting in the bed. We cleaned him up, and 5 min later again and again for about an hour or so followed by dry heaving. After all was "out" of him, he went to sleep. I awoke at 7am with a slight stomach ache, ran to the bathroom, where I did not leave until 10:30am, violently vomiting, severe diarrhea, sweating profusely, cold, followed by so much dry heaving I thought something would implode. At about 10;30 or so, exhausted and semi dillusional, I staggered to my bed covered in sweat, laying there freezing and... the only way I can explain it... hallucinating. In my sleep until 3pm that evening, I had just crazy dreams. I awoke at 3pm feeling a lot better, but still kind of "off". Here I am the day afterward, and I still don't feel 100%...I just feel weird, is the only way I can put it. My little boy is OK though compaining a little that his stomach felt "different". It was one of the worst sicknesses I've had. I read on this post that it might be a "old wives tale", but this needs to be put to rest. The eggs of garfish are extremely toxic and should never be consumed by anyone! I can speak from experience. The toxin is called gar ichthyootoxin

"I'd rather be a fence post in Texas than the king of Tennessee."

Re: First Striper at Texoma [Re: Markk] #10764879 04/13/15 07:59 PM
M
MidwestFishers Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Originally Posted By: Markk
Wow, never heard they were toxic. info from a quick google search:
More about poisonous gar eggs:

I came across this page (3/4 of the way to the bottom of the page)

http://my.core.com/~garman/garticlescience.htm

when I was searching for the toxin in gar eggs responsible for the severe illness my son and I encountered after consuming them. I caught and cleaned a 2' long gar in Laplace, LA My filipino mother in law who is visiting cooked them. My son had 2-4 spoonfuls mixed with rice, I had 1/2 a plate or so at about 9pm. At about 3am, I awoke to my som vomiting in the bed. We cleaned him up, and 5 min later again and again for about an hour or so followed by dry heaving. After all was "out" of him, he went to sleep. I awoke at 7am with a slight stomach ache, ran to the bathroom, where I did not leave until 10:30am, violently vomiting, severe diarrhea, sweating profusely, cold, followed by so much dry heaving I thought something would implode. At about 10;30 or so, exhausted and semi dillusional, I staggered to my bed covered in sweat, laying there freezing and... the only way I can explain it... hallucinating. In my sleep until 3pm that evening, I had just crazy dreams. I awoke at 3pm feeling a lot better, but still kind of "off". Here I am the day afterward, and I still don't feel 100%...I just feel weird, is the only way I can put it. My little boy is OK though compaining a little that his stomach felt "different". It was one of the worst sicknesses I've had. I read on this post that it might be a "old wives tale", but this needs to be put to rest. The eggs of garfish are extremely toxic and should never be consumed by anyone! I can speak from experience. The toxin is called gar ichthyootoxin

Yea same thing happened to me, except for the bad dreams and hallucinating. it was pretty bad

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide