Texas Fishing Forum

First Striper at Texoma

Posted By: MidwestFishers

First Striper at Texoma - 04/09/15 10:56 PM

Finally caught my first striper at texoma, First time at this lake and for sure i thought i was going to get skunked!
Fished along the shore at fobb bottom, the bite started around 3am. Cant wait to get back out there again. Any reports of any stripers being caught from the bank?

Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/09/15 11:07 PM

Nice fish.
Posted By: I love fishing

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/09/15 11:16 PM

Wow...nice catch!
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/09/15 11:48 PM

cheers

great job!

bait or lure?
Posted By: B_vandy

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 12:06 AM

thumb great fish man!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 12:13 AM

Nice fish. Good job. cheers
Posted By: "Ol Spookin

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 12:49 AM

thumb
Posted By: gotta fish

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 01:08 AM

More were that one came from!
Posted By: CT_Avenue_7

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 03:52 AM

Very cool!!!! My first one was last August and I fish for them 2-4 times a week now. Love it!!
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 04:22 AM

Nice job! Plenty more were that came from! Go get them!
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 02:42 PM

Nice fish! Fobb Bottom aught to be about to catch fire for white bass. It's that time of year.
Posted By: MtnDew

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 04:05 PM

Nice Fish .. welcome to the striper addiction .. hard to go back to fishing for whites after this smile

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: lite-liner
cheers

great job!

bait or lure?

Thanks, caught it off ghost minnows. cheers

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 05:49 PM

Thanks guys, yeah sadly our trip cut short at 5am, didnt get to fish the morning bite like i was expecting. around 9pm that night i caught a blue cat and a gar. threw them on the fire to cook. (first time having gar meat, pretty good) the gar had eggs and a friend and i had some of it. they ended up being pretty darn toxic. at around 4am, we started throwing up like crazy. lesson learned, Gar caviar is a big no no. hung
Posted By: betterbet24

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: MidwestFishers
Thanks guys, yeah sadly our trip cut short at 5am, didnt get to fish the morning bite like i was expecting. around 9pm that night i caught a blue cat and a gar. threw them on the fire to cook. (first time having gar meat, pretty good) the gar had eggs and a friend and i had some of it. they ended up being pretty darn toxic. at around 4am, we started throwing up like crazy. lesson learned, Gar caviar is a big no no. hung

haha sounds like a fun night
Posted By: moonriver

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: MidwestFishers

My goodness! Gar's eggs are toxic, your guys were too brave to eat that. Hope you guys are OK.

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/10/15 09:59 PM

Oh yeah we had a pretty fun night. my gf was sleeping on the mat wrapped in blankets, i looked over at the cooler and saw what looked like a big black widdow. Next time we are setting up a tent and will bring flame throwers! but yeah my buddy and i took two days to recover from those eggs. we might be back out there monday night if i decide to close the shop early and the weather is nice. im hooked now lol
Posted By: FishHunter69

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/12/15 02:54 PM

Nice!
Posted By: HobieRay57

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/12/15 11:07 PM

Way ta go.
Posted By: Markk

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/13/15 07:38 PM

Wow, never heard they were toxic. info from a quick google search:
More about poisonous gar eggs:

I came across this page (3/4 of the way to the bottom of the page)

http://my.core.com/~garman/garticlescience.htm

when I was searching for the toxin in gar eggs responsible for the severe illness my son and I encountered after consuming them. I caught and cleaned a 2' long gar in Laplace, LA My filipino mother in law who is visiting cooked them. My son had 2-4 spoonfuls mixed with rice, I had 1/2 a plate or so at about 9pm. At about 3am, I awoke to my som vomiting in the bed. We cleaned him up, and 5 min later again and again for about an hour or so followed by dry heaving. After all was "out" of him, he went to sleep. I awoke at 7am with a slight stomach ache, ran to the bathroom, where I did not leave until 10:30am, violently vomiting, severe diarrhea, sweating profusely, cold, followed by so much dry heaving I thought something would implode. At about 10;30 or so, exhausted and semi dillusional, I staggered to my bed covered in sweat, laying there freezing and... the only way I can explain it... hallucinating. In my sleep until 3pm that evening, I had just crazy dreams. I awoke at 3pm feeling a lot better, but still kind of "off". Here I am the day afterward, and I still don't feel 100%...I just feel weird, is the only way I can put it. My little boy is OK though compaining a little that his stomach felt "different". It was one of the worst sicknesses I've had. I read on this post that it might be a "old wives tale", but this needs to be put to rest. The eggs of garfish are extremely toxic and should never be consumed by anyone! I can speak from experience. The toxin is called gar ichthyootoxin

Re: First Striper at Texoma - 04/13/15 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Markk
Wow, never heard they were toxic. info from a quick google search:
More about poisonous gar eggs:

I came across this page (3/4 of the way to the bottom of the page)

http://my.core.com/~garman/garticlescience.htm

when I was searching for the toxin in gar eggs responsible for the severe illness my son and I encountered after consuming them. I caught and cleaned a 2' long gar in Laplace, LA My filipino mother in law who is visiting cooked them. My son had 2-4 spoonfuls mixed with rice, I had 1/2 a plate or so at about 9pm. At about 3am, I awoke to my som vomiting in the bed. We cleaned him up, and 5 min later again and again for about an hour or so followed by dry heaving. After all was "out" of him, he went to sleep. I awoke at 7am with a slight stomach ache, ran to the bathroom, where I did not leave until 10:30am, violently vomiting, severe diarrhea, sweating profusely, cold, followed by so much dry heaving I thought something would implode. At about 10;30 or so, exhausted and semi dillusional, I staggered to my bed covered in sweat, laying there freezing and... the only way I can explain it... hallucinating. In my sleep until 3pm that evening, I had just crazy dreams. I awoke at 3pm feeling a lot better, but still kind of "off". Here I am the day afterward, and I still don't feel 100%...I just feel weird, is the only way I can put it. My little boy is OK though compaining a little that his stomach felt "different". It was one of the worst sicknesses I've had. I read on this post that it might be a "old wives tale", but this needs to be put to rest. The eggs of garfish are extremely toxic and should never be consumed by anyone! I can speak from experience. The toxin is called gar ichthyootoxin

Yea same thing happened to me, except for the bad dreams and hallucinating. it was pretty bad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum