Forums59
Topics1,039,326
Posts13,962,862
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th #10729255 03/28/15 01:56 AM
N
Neumie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
Ok, I'm going to try something new with this fishing report. I'm heading to Port Aransas Saturday (tomorrow) morning and I had the idea to live report my day on the water. I'll do my best to convey what I'm doing and why I am doing it. Such as why I am changing lure colors or why I have decided to move on from one spot to the next. Also, please feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Where am I fishing tomorrow and what's the initial plan?
If you pay a lot of attention to the weather you'd know that Texas has (thankfully) been the recipient of a lot of rainfall. Rainfall = runoff. This nixes a lot of my favorite waters to fish due there being too much freshwater flowing into secondary bay systems (such as Copano and Nueces). To add to that we had a cold front that blew through Thursday afternoon. When cold fronts blow through I have "2nd day" policy where I'd prefer to fish the second day after a front. Saturday was shaping up to offer me the perfect conditions. Tuesday had forecasted light winds of 5-10 mph as it shifted from north to south swinging through the west. However, the forecast has changed slightly with higher winds of 10-15mph from a consistent SW.

According to the tide gauge at Port Aransas I should be expecting an incoming tide all morning long. The gauge is forecasting a low tide at around 5am tomorrow and hitting high tide around 3ish in the afternoon.

OK, given the information at hand I've decided I'm going to fish Shamrock Cove. I wanted to fish away from all the freshwater inflow and somewhere that had closer tidal influence to Port Aransas. As some of y'all know I had done well there earlier this year. And, full admission, it's a place I know well. However, tomorrow I've decided to fish a hole I have never fished before. It's a spot I've had my eye on to go explore, but haven't found an opportunity to do so. Until tomorrow. This hole is about twice as far away from the launch as I would normally paddle. Although the wind is going to be blowing harder, the SW wind should set me up for some nice drifts through this hole. I just need to remember to bring my drift sock.

Now, I have to gather up my gear, get the coffee pot prepped and my alarm set for 4am. I'll make tackle decisions tomorrow after I get my eyes on the water. Again, if you have any questions or comments feel free to post up.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10729261 03/28/15 01:58 AM
N
Neumie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
Test

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10729693 03/28/15 10:54 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Dont forget your sock!

Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10729722 03/28/15 11:59 AM
N
Neumie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
At the ferry crossing waiting on a ship to pass. Winds appear to be about 10 and and the water is looking good. Kind of wish I'd left Hallettsville about 30 minutes early.

Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10729762 03/28/15 12:44 PM
N
Neumie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
Wind is definitely in the 10)15 mph range which means I'm going to have an easy paddle to the spot this morning. Lure selection are two gold standards; Silver Mullet Spook Jr & purple/chartreuse DOA CAL paddle tail. Just because there's a lot wind doesn't mean topwater won't work.

Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10729802 03/28/15 01:27 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
It's been 41 minutes since your last post. Where's the fish? popcorn

Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10729809 03/28/15 01:34 PM
N
Neumie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
Lol, Todd, I just got to the spot. Also, water clarity is off at this location so I'm retying my lures to Spectrum Spook Jr and Strawberry/White CAL. One thing real quick, on my paddle out I came across a pod of cownose rays. Reds and cownose rays tend to travel together so it's always a good idea to make a few cast behind the rays see if you could get a quick hookup.

Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10729852 03/28/15 02:18 PM
I
IslandJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
Wish I was there! Do you launch from Wilson's Cut Channel? It looks like a pretty good paddle to your target cove from there.

Catch 'em up! Island Jim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10729864 03/28/15 02:29 PM
N
Neumie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
Jim, yes I launched from Wilsons Cut and paddled down. It is a bit of a paddle, but with a southerly wind it was pretty easy. Heading back to the launch is a different story. I just completed my first drift and strung up a 21" red caught on soft plastics. I had numerous blow ups on topwater (two very good sounding fish). This hole is deeper than I thought, and drifted across a spot close 6'. My standard protocol is to set up for 3 or 4 long drifts to pattern fish. I'll still work a topwater (especially around the edges of the hole) but will probably concentrate on softplastics given the water depth.

However, shortly after landing a 19" red this [censored]-shat motors up behind me and let's waders out before blasting back out of the hole. A little common courtesy would have been nice. Completely shut the bite off for about 20 minutes.

Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10729882 03/28/15 02:44 PM
N
Neumie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
Literally dropped anchor 75 yds down wind of my drift.

Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10729929 03/28/15 03:25 PM
N
Neumie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
Well, I have that drift a few more minutes until I was casting at the back of their boat before decided I was done with that hole. I hate to leave fish to find fish, but I didn't have much choice as I was squeezed out. It's a great hole that would awesome during the winter month. I then paddled over to the channel just east of that hole and had a rat red and 12" flounder casting along the edge. Conditions haven't changed much, still blowing outta the SW pretty hard. I have made a lure change and tied on a shallow water crankbait (Yo-Zuri 3DB) to drift over some of the shallower flats. Still grinding.

Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10729960 03/28/15 03:57 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Show us the fish fool!

Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #10729986 03/28/15 04:29 PM
N
Neumie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE
Show us the fish fool!

Fool look a couple posts up. I'm not going yo take time to snap a photo of a 10" trout to post up.

Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10730010 03/28/15 04:47 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
You're a better man than I am; I'd have been tempted to photograph the boat and registration, and posted that up with the tale of his (mis)deeds..........

Re: Real-Time Fishing Report from Port Aransas- Saturday, March 28th [Re: Neumie] #10730035 03/28/15 05:18 PM
N
Neumie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
Added two trout to the stringer. I've got about 15 minutes before I need to be off the water. Grind, grind, grind.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide