Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: JohnButte] #10674677 03/06/15 06:51 PM
Jacob Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: JohnButte
Aren't crappie a little line shy if you use only braid?

They used to catch them with welding rod leaders.

Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: JohnButte] #10674678 03/06/15 06:51 PM
T
texboxer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: JohnButte
Aren't crappie a little line shy if you use only braid?

I guess if the water is really clear it might, but I have no problem catching fish tying hi
-vis orange braid directly to the jig.

Last edited by texboxer; 03/06/15 07:07 PM.

Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: The Crappie Guy] #10674731 03/06/15 07:07 PM
J
JohnButte Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Interesting. I have some 10lb sufix 832 that I bought on a whim and haven't found a use for. Perhaps I will respool a spinning reel with it and see how it works.

Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: The Crappie Guy] #10675036 03/06/15 08:45 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
if its a reaction bite it dont matter if your using a neon rope, when its cold. clear water, or they are not in a feeding cycle, I believe it matters alot

Most folks wind up going full circle back to clear monofilament, just clear, plain 6 to 8 pound mono tied directly to the jig.
Braid was invented to horse big bass out of heavy cover with the smallest diamemter possible, just like spider wire.
Braid is hard on reel spools and rod eyes as well, and is hard to tie when wet or dry, the knot can slip if not tied just right , it tangles easily in the wind and will shred your hands trying to break off. Its twice to three times the cost of mono, just way too many negatives for only one positive, which is a little more sensitivity
JMEO..

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: The Crappie Guy] #10675040 03/06/15 08:46 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Its awesome for hangin picture frames in the house though.. roflmao

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: leanin post] #10675113 03/06/15 09:26 PM
Tommy Ezell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: leanin post
if its a reaction bite it dont matter if your using a neon rope, when its cold. clear water, or they are not in a feeding cycle, I believe it matters alot

Most folks wind up going full circle back to clear monofilament, just clear, plain 6 to 8 pound mono tied directly to the jig.
Braid was invented to horse big bass out of heavy cover with the smallest diamemter possible, just like spider wire.
Braid is hard on reel spools and rod eyes as well, and is hard to tie when wet or dry, the knot can slip if not tied just right , it tangles easily in the wind and will shred your hands trying to break off. Its twice to three times the cost of mono, just way too many negatives for only one positive, which is a little more sensitivity
JMEO..

I use braid straight to the shank and have none of these issues. With anything new you have to take the time to learn how to use it.
I do however agree that it's used to man handle bigger fish out of dense cover. grin

Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: DaveB] #10675465 03/06/15 11:52 PM
DaveB Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: DaveB
Originally Posted By: TreeBass
Originally Posted By: DaveB
Just now ordered 2 spools of this from Josh. Hope it is as good as you say it is Guy Skinner. I have never been a fan of braid but since I am fishing the CAT Crappiefest may need it to land a Sharelunker bass as well as that 3 lb crappie for the win. banana

I need to check it out thumb

Got mine in the mail yesterday and spooled up a couple of reels a bit ago. Think I am going to like this stuff. 1st braid I have ever used for crappie fishing. Seems to be easy to work with and doesn't fray when cut like some of the other braid I used on catfish reels. Thanks Josh for the 2 bonus packs of soft plastics as well. thumb

Giving it a go tomorrow night to see how well it works. Fishing minners under a slip cork with green lights. Hope to fish it soon shallow as well as over BP's to feel the thump of this stuff. Report to come.

Last edited by DaveB; 03/06/15 11:55 PM.

Keep on fishing.

Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: The Crappie Guy] #10676032 03/07/15 03:18 AM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Again, IMHO this year line color has not been a factor. I use the hi-vis line with great results when they are biting. I've also tried the clear, and green mono and floro with same results. If the water is really clear then color might make a difference.

Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: leanin post] #10677706 03/08/15 12:36 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: leanin post

JMEO..

Hey Leanin Post, glad to see you like braid...I do as well...Ultimately, there are definite advantages to braid in a number of situations, and advantages to mono in other situations....I for one, have no problems handling braid in the wind...but there is a learning curve involved, to be sure.

The one thing thats Pi$$es me off about mono is when you lose a 2 or 3 lb crappie cause the mono gave up....ie., braid really helps getting those big rascals in the boat, sans net....Later

stir popcorn2

Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: Jon] #10677712 03/08/15 12:38 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Jon
crope1, every braid I've ever used was about 50 times more sensitive than mono. Zero stretch so it takes some getting used to on the hook set - I just loosen my drag way up.

For you guys that like braid, what is your favorite knot?
I'm going to order some of the Bonehead and give it a try. Not sure if I'll get orange or yellow.

Improved clinch or palomar...

Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: The Crappie Guy] #10699129 03/16/15 04:04 PM
G
Gregg R Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Hey guys, new to crappie fishing, I mostly bass fish, am familiar with braid for spinning, but wondering what pound test braid to you use on ultra light reels for the lighter jigs and roadrunners? I see that most guys tie directly to the jig, what knot is best for that and where can you buy bonehead braid? This is kind of off the post but I have a plueger president for bass fishing, does anybody know about the plueger trion for crappie fishing and would this reel work good with the braid. Thanks for the help, really like this forum.

Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: Gregg R] #10699177 03/16/15 04:23 PM
The Crappie Guy Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Gregg R
Hey guys, new to crappie fishing, I mostly bass fish, am familiar with braid for spinning, but wondering what pound test braid to you use on ultra light reels for the lighter jigs and roadrunners? I see that most guys tie directly to the jig, what knot is best for that and where can you buy bonehead braid? This is kind of off the post but I have a plueger president for bass fishing, does anybody know about the plueger trion for crappie fishing and would this reel work good with the braid. Thanks for the help, really like this forum.

Gregg,
I use 12# test Bonehead braid in yellow. And I don't use a 'ultra' lite reel. All my reels are Shimano 1000 series (not large, not small). I use an improved chinch knot to tie with, and have never had a knot slip. And a Plueger Trion is an excellent reel for crappie as long as it's not a 3000/4000 series. Hope this helps........ And see the Bonehead link at the bottom of my page. Click on it and you'll go direct to Bonehead website.

"The Crappie Guy"

Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: The Crappie Guy] #10699214 03/16/15 04:39 PM
G
Gregg R Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Thanks for the response, appreciate the info. I would like to use a president but kinda pricey, I like the pfluegar reels and saw the trion at academy, so I wondered if it would work. Thanks again and have a good one.

Re: The New Bonehead Braid [Re: The Crappie Guy] #10699388 03/16/15 05:52 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

This reel will spool and hold the Bonehead braid well. It is what I use every time I'm on the water. This matched up with an 8' Bonehead rod works very well.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide