Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: loop knot ? [Re: Ketchn] #10668079 03/04/15 08:24 PM
B
Bud B Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
In tough cover, I use a palomar. The rest of the time, I use a loop.

The palomar is stronger, but if you're fishing vertically, you have to slide that palomar toward the back of the jig to get the jig sitting horizontally, like it should. Every time you give a pull on the line, you'll need to slide the palomar again.

With a loop knot, and a jig with good balance, the jig is always sitting at the horizontal position, just like you want.

Bud Baker
Gun Barrel City, Tx

[Linked Image]
Re: loop knot ? [Re: Ketchn] #10668082 03/04/15 08:26 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I like the loop knot. If I can't hook em then I can just rope em!

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: loop knot ? [Re: Ketchn] #10668199 03/04/15 09:04 PM
M
MuskogeeMac Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I like the loop knot unless I'm fishing heavy brush in my slip

Re: loop knot ? [Re: BrazosRiverTom] #10668205 03/04/15 09:05 PM
rockhopper Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: BrazosRiverTom
..... when you feel the bite jerk hard like you would a bass.... pole will absorb the shock of setting the hook hard and your drag will handle the rest.

Being a former bass angler, its hard for me not to quickly and firmly set the hook. Some habits are hard to break. I think Tom's statement above makes total sense. Being a guide, the biggest problem I see for novice anglers is not setting the hook fast enough. To me, a fast hook set equals a firm or hard hook set- its almost impossible to set the hook fast and light because of the momentum of the rod. A reel with a good drag set at just the right amount will slip and not rip the hook out.

Reverse cinch is my knot of choice because of the speed in which I can tie one on.

Re: loop knot ? [Re: Ketchn] #10668350 03/04/15 09:51 PM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
I find that by opening the barb just a little thus exposing more of the hook, results in better hook sets no matter what knot.It`s just a little thing but makes a big difference 2cents

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: loop knot ? [Re: bush hog] #10668397 03/04/15 10:10 PM
B
bogey♂ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: bush hog
I like the loop knot. If I can't hook em then I can just rope em!

roflmao

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
you know, nothing wrong with seven men who met on the internet going for a swim together
Re: loop knot ? [Re: Bud B] #10668474 03/04/15 10:39 PM
J
Jon Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Bud B
In tough cover, I use a palomar. The rest of the time, I use a loop.

The palomar is stronger, but if you're fishing vertically, you have to slide that palomar toward the back of the jig to get the jig sitting horizontally, like it should. Every time you give a pull on the line, you'll need to slide the palomar again.

With a loop knot, and a jig with good balance, the jig is always sitting at the horizontal position, just like you want.

This is pretty much my experience also - at least with mono. I had terrible luck with loop knots on braid.

My jigs hang plenty horizontal enough to suit me on a loop knot and i think it gives them a little better action as well.
With a tight knot, I have to always pull it back down the eye, even on a missed bite or banging onto a piece of brush.

I'm bad about forgetting to do that each and every time. But of course with braid I don't have a choice so I have to remember.
If a loop knot would work on braid, I'd use it there too.

I'm not convinced that either one has an effect on where the fish get hooked because i've used both types enough to think that's not it. I think where they get hooked has more to do with how sharp the hook is (I'm anal about sharpening my hooks - even new ones)
And the other factor being how aggressive they are biting (sucking it in) a good hard jarring thump usually gets them in the roof of the mouth. A little barely perceptible thump is likely to be further out in their lips. I think a badly dull hook will hardly ever get them in the roof of their mouth.

Re: loop knot ? [Re: Ketchn] #10668516 03/04/15 10:52 PM
T
Thump My Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Loop knot and good, balanced jig.. Then just leave the livewell lid open... lol

2002 21 Ft Fish Master CC & 140 4 Stroke Suzuki

Re: loop knot ? [Re: Ketchn] #10668525 03/04/15 10:55 PM
Carver Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I know this seems to be focused on how jigs do or don't hang, but with live bait there is no comparison with the swimming action the loop allows the bait.

It seems to me a majority of my hits on jigs are on the fall or rise getting to depth or new depth which it is definitly not "hanging" anyway,,,. SO as simple minded as I am I use it on both almost exclusively and enjoy the simplicity and speed of rigging.

Last edited by Carver; 03/04/15 10:55 PM.

Phill Pittman

www.dallascnc.com new website for product development

www.mariner-kayaks.com Best kayak source in Texas
Re: loop knot ? [Re: Carver] #10668596 03/04/15 11:22 PM
T
Thump My Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Carver
I know this seems to be focused on how jigs do or don't hang, but with live bait there is no comparison with the swimming action the loop allows the bait.

It seems to me a majority of my hits on jigs are on the fall or rise getting to depth or new depth which it is definitly not "hanging" anyway,,,. SO as simple minded as I am I use it on both almost exclusively and enjoy the simplicity and speed of rigging.

Good point, I see the same.. I think it's a confidence thing with me. With the loop knot, I know the jig is floating/hanging horizontal and that makes me more confident in fishing it....

With other knots I'm always checking it and re-adjusting it to hang the the way I like which results in less time getting thumped!

Last edited by Thump My Jig; 03/04/15 11:24 PM.

2002 21 Ft Fish Master CC & 140 4 Stroke Suzuki

Re: loop knot ? [Re: rockhopper] #10668870 03/05/15 12:43 AM
K
Ketchn Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: rockhopper
Originally Posted By: BrazosRiverTom
..... when you feel the bite jerk hard like you would a bass.... pole will absorb the shock of setting the hook hard and your drag will handle the rest.

Being a former bass angler, its hard for me not to quickly and firmly set the hook. Some habits are hard to break. I think Tom's statement above makes total sense. Being a guide, the biggest problem I see for novice anglers is not setting the hook fast enough. To me, a fast hook set equals a firm or hard hook set- its almost impossible to set the hook fast and light because of the momentum of the rod. A reel with a good drag set at just the right amount will slip and not rip the hook out.

Reverse cinch is my knot of choice because of the speed in which I can tie one on.

words of wisdom i think right there for sure sir
if you hang with me you will hear my drag give a lil bit on EVERY hook set
have been known to lift my feet off the deck on em if I am standing up
Mr. Rollins even had to ask me to ease up on em when I went with him roflmao
not that other knots don't work I just like that knot on mono
and I fish way more with 4 to 6 lb mono than braid
and yawl thought I was just kiddin round about the ....???
yep here it comes
KABOOM slinger

Re: loop knot ? [Re: Fishbonz] #10669027 03/05/15 01:22 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
I find that by opening the barb just a little thus exposing more of the hook, results in better hook sets no matter what knot.It`s just a little thing but makes a big difference 2cents

Totally Agree Fishbonz.

I seldom use a loop knot except on the top hook of a double rig... basically I break loop knots too much fishing in heavy structure...improved clinch knot is my goto...

Re: loop knot ? [Re: Ketchn] #10669055 03/05/15 01:33 AM
L
larry mays Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Knots are like jigs, there is a lot of them just learn to use the all. They all have there time and place.

Re: loop knot ? [Re: Ketchn] #10669147 03/05/15 02:01 AM
S
Sandwich Maker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I've been doing something wrong. With the various braids I've tried I"ve always used a loop knot and can't remember ever having one come undone. Broke lots of hooks and got in a hurry a few times and put a nasty cut on my hand trying to pull a jig free, but no knot failures. What am I doing wrong?

Member Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff
Re: loop knot ? [Re: Sandwich Maker] #10669317 03/05/15 02:46 AM
J
Jon Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Sandwich Maker
I've been doing something wrong. With the various braids I've tried I"ve always used a loop knot and can't remember ever having one come undone. Broke lots of hooks and got in a hurry a few times and put a nasty cut on my hand trying to pull a jig free, but no knot failures. What am I doing wrong?

Well I don't know what you're doing wrong either but I sure would like to learn it so I can start doing mine wrong like you.
I'm going to try and find some illustration of what I'm tying and if you want to learn one that breaks real easy with braid, you can use mine.
Then if you want, maybe you can help me figure out what's different on yours? I'd sure appreciate it.

edit> OK that didn't take long. Turns out what I've been tying is actually called a dropper loop. dropper loop illustrated
I use it for both jigs if doing a tandem and trim the tag end off close on the bottom or if a single.

I'm guessing this probably is not the same loop knot you're using?

Last edited by Jon; 03/05/15 02:54 AM. Reason: found my knot
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide