Forums59
Topics1,039,803
Posts13,970,553
Members144,220
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10650964 02/26/15 11:11 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Y
The fish were biting today and it's warming up! See you guys down here!

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10651232 02/27/15 12:54 AM
M
Mudman63 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Thanks Robert. I'll follow up with you tomorrow night.

Ken

Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10655774 02/28/15 05:12 PM
G
Green Fish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Wow...that sounds like a major hassle just to promote the use of some App. Why not just use cameras like everyone else. It would be easier and you don't have to rely on cell phone coverage and, with only 3 fish each and 48 anglers, if they all catch 3 fish, you'd have that totaled up in less than 30 minutes.

Originally Posted By: YAK'N AGGIE
Originally Posted By: Mudman63
Robert - I'm registered and looking forward to the tournament. I have a concern about the lack of cell coverage on the lake and logging fish into the iAngler App. Will we be able to do this at the final checkin? DOes this have to be done before checking in at the end of the day? Will there be someone there to help those of us not familiar with the app? Thanks.

Ken

Hey Ken. We will go over all this at the Captain's Meeting too, but all fish must be submitted in the app by 3:00pm. So you may have to plan for service issues and get off the water prior to 3:00 to submit your fish if they aren't going through. When you submit a fish out of cell service range, it saves it as a draft. So you'll have to submit it later once you have service.

And yes, we'll be there to help you with any issues you hvae with the app. Be sure to practice before you come down, and we can answer any questions at the Captain's Meeting. I'll also be available by cell on tournament day but again, service could be an issue there so we'll want to get it worked out tomorrow night.

We had poor service in Astor, FL at the 1st stop but had no issues.

Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: Green Fish] #10656236 02/28/15 08:17 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
I don't think Robert is trying to promote the app. I have spoken personally to the owners of the app and they are not interested in making money with it. They are fish and game biologists and are just interested in the data the app provides. It's basically a way to collect data about how many and what size fish are caught. Using it as a scoring system for CPR tournaments is just a convienent coincidence. I think what Robert is trying to do is two things. First he is trying to speed up the process from when cards are turned in to when they can present awards. I have been at tournaments with very experienced tournament directors and even with only 30 to 40 anglers it can sometimes take an hour. No fault of the TDs, that's just how long it takes to diligently go through everything and make sure you get it right. Secondly, tournament bass fishing is great unless your not in the tournament. In that case it's about as much fun as watching paint dry. CPR tournaments are even more boring for spectators because we dont even bring in live fish. The app allows people not in the tournament the chance to check in throughout the day and watch a live leaderboard. That's how I know that today Matt Scotch was leading with almost 50" when I checked at around 11am.

There's going to be issues with the technology just like anything else. But I applaud Robert for at least trying it. I'm confident that 3 to 5 years down the road this app or a similar one will be the norm.
Originally Posted By: Green Fish
Wow...that sounds like a major hassle just to promote the use of some App. Why not just use cameras like everyone else. It would be easier and you don't have to rely on cell phone coverage and, with only 3 fish each and 48 anglers, if they all catch 3 fish, you'd have that totaled up in less than 30 minutes.

Originally Posted By: YAK'N AGGIE
Originally Posted By: Mudman63
Robert - I'm registered and looking forward to the tournament. I have a concern about the lack of cell coverage on the lake and logging fish into the iAngler App. Will we be able to do this at the final checkin? DOes this have to be done before checking in at the end of the day? Will there be someone there to help those of us not familiar with the app? Thanks.

Ken

Hey Ken. We will go over all this at the Captain's Meeting too, but all fish must be submitted in the app by 3:00pm. So you may have to plan for service issues and get off the water prior to 3:00 to submit your fish if they aren't going through. When you submit a fish out of cell service range, it saves it as a draft. So you'll have to submit it later once you have service.

And yes, we'll be there to help you with any issues you hvae with the app. Be sure to practice before you come down, and we can answer any questions at the Captain's Meeting. I'll also be available by cell on tournament day but again, service could be an issue there so we'll want to get it worked out tomorrow night.

We had poor service in Astor, FL at the 1st stop but had no issues.

Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10656451 02/28/15 09:42 PM
G
Green Fish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Maybe, but I quote "So you may have to plan for service issues and get off the water prior to 3:00 to submit your fish if they aren't going through" which makes it sound like an angler would not get to fish all the way to the finish time because of technology issues. When the technology is "running the show" instead of an angler's ability to catch fish, then that is a major problem.

Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10656705 02/28/15 11:20 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I think the App is a neat addition. I was watching it earlier and it added a sort of excitement as a spectator. Granted, I agree with the fact that a fisherman shouldn't be limited by technology. But maybe there could be an addition to the App that allows everyone to save their fish as drafts. Stop fishing at 3pm, and have the fish submitted at the TD desk when he/she checks in before a prescribed time.

Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10656868 03/01/15 12:20 AM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Looks like Jason Delfraisse got the win today with his best 3 going 54.25". Congrats to him on the win!

Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10657012 03/01/15 01:08 AM
G
gutcheck Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Congrats to Delfraisse! That dude's getting good at taking home the big payout!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10657157 03/01/15 01:57 AM
T
The Ninja Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
The mans in beast mode!!! Congrats Jason D!!

Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10657241 03/01/15 02:20 AM
A
a lo109 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Nice! Congrats Jason! thumb

Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10657727 03/01/15 06:15 AM
Y
YAK ANGLIN Offline
Angler
Angler
Y
Sam Rayburn was a blast. thanks Robert for all your effort and assisting everyone with the iangler app. i managed to land two fish . 16.00 and 14.25. struggled to get a 3rd. congrats to all the winners. Jason Delfrassie showed everyone why this was his home lake. fish

Chris Anglin Pro-Staff

http://anglersprotackle.com
Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: Green Fish] #10657766 03/01/15 07:35 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Green Fish
When the technology is "running the show" instead of an angler's ability to catch fish, then that is a major problem.

Tournament anglers live and die by technology, and skill/technology are absolutely woven.

Your peddle drive might malfunction.

Your paddle might break.

Your fluorocarbon may not behave in bad weather.

Your reel might jam.

Your FF or GPS might not work properly (and this will certainly seal your fait).

Your truck may not start.

The list goes on.

Just trying to offer an unbiased perspective. I don't fish tournaments so I don't really have a dog in this hunt. I can say, however, that the tournament realm (in any sport) involves the total mastering of all elements. You miss one little piece and you lose (and I think that makes it even more elaborate and exciting).

I do understand your concern, though. There is always some new "barrier" to negotiate.

One of the coolest pieces of our sport is the fact that we release fish immediately and get them back in the water, safe and happy, as soon as possible. Technology makes this possible (with a camera or an app) and I think we should all support the evolution of the practice. Streamlining the process for all parties, in the long run, should result in the positive.

Congrats to the anglers and a big thanks to all of the cogs in this wheel. I know the work isn't easy for anyone in this weather.

Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: District Paddle] #10657811 03/01/15 12:01 PM
G
Green Fish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
First, everything you listed is true of all kayak tournaments, I'm specifically discussing the use of the app at this particular kayak tournament. But, since you don't fish tournaments DP, that is probably why you missed my point. When some anglers are able to fish the entire time just because they have cell phone service and are able to put all their fish photos in the app and continue to fish, and others have to stop fishing and come in early because they didn't have cell service and they have to drive back to the weigh in site to use the app, well, that is a big problem.

In order to be fair, everyone should be allowed to fish the same amount of time, right up to the finish, and then those people who didn't have cell service can put their fish in the app when they get to the weigh in site.

Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10658332 03/01/15 04:17 PM
B
B_Rod Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Congrats to Jason and all the others who fished what appears to be some tough conditions. Despite the concerns of some, and maybe a few growing pains, I have to admit, this was pretty cool. I didn't follow the Florida tournament, but I did follow this one (maybe because it was in Texas or maybe because I was snowed in), and the new technological aspect was yet another factor in a long list of factors that make or break kayak fishing tournaments.

Also, did you guys see the list of competitors? Its like a Who's Who of Kayak fishing. A big congrats to Robert for pulling this off...Regardless of which side of the fence you come down on (technology wise), the scope of this tournament makes it a huge amount of work, and interesting as hell. The verdict: two thumbs up. thumb thumb

Re: Kayak Bass Series Open #2 - Sam Rayburn 2/28 [Re: YakFishField] #10658371 03/01/15 04:34 PM
E
ebk06 Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Congrat Chris!

Also the app thing is/was really a non issue. No tournament will ever be perfect for everyone and no matter what changes are made not everyone will be happy. No one that actually attended, had issues. Also they were more than fair with letting people launch literally whenever they wanted after the friday cap. meeting. All other tournaments you have to wait to run to your launch site after the morning of captains meeting. So on sam rayburn you could have lost 2 hours of fishing time due to that but, KBS handled that "issue". If you dont like the app so be it but it actually save a lot of time during weigh in.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide