Forums59
Topics1,039,886
Posts13,971,638
Members144,222
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Bass-N-Buck Master] #10621390 02/16/15 04:01 AM
L
La Perla Ranch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Thanks for that Jeff, but this time the posters have been great. Last time 9 months ago, not so much, but this time I have no complaints. I actually overreacted to the high fence comments, as the poster did not mean it the way I took it, so my bad. I will explain in time, when I have more time, but all good.

You guys have been awesome, and I will look forward to sharing as much as time allows as the story of La Perla lake, Water World, and the contract lake, Jalisco, unfolds.
Thanks a bunch all,
Gary

La Perla Ranch
Zapata County, Texas
tecomateranch.com
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: soonersorlaters] #10621401 02/16/15 04:05 AM
200Hawk21 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
One of the reasons our nation is so great over the years is that our people have been able to think outside of the box. We had people in Texas in the 70's that had the vision to transplant Florida bass to Texas and that turned the bass fishing in Texas upside down. There are and have been a lot of people involved over the years trying to bring a world record to Texas. I just think we should support their efforts .

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10621430 02/16/15 04:18 AM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted By: La Perla Ranch
Haha I'm tryin bro!

Keep up the great work!

I look forward to following your progress and seeing y'all be successful.

For a regular dude who fishes local ponds in a plastic boat like me this is a fun story to follow.

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: soonersorlaters] #10621564 02/16/15 07:44 AM
78Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
It was a good show, nice to see some fishing out of something other than 50K boats wink.

Only complaint, I think James Overstreet might just be the worst fish handler on TV. Why he feels the need to snatch and sling every fish around escapes me.

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: grout-scout] #10621794 02/16/15 02:09 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Good luck in your endeavors. I hope you raise a 25 pound bass down there! Nothing would make me prouder than to say the new world record came from TEXAS waters!

So... What would you call catching a big bass on a private pond while eating a snickers bar? You know, you set your rod down to open the snickers bar and next thing you know is there is a fish pulling on the line. Is that an accomplishment? Should you be proud of that fish?

I am so glad you brought that up but you are a little confused. The fish I caught while eating my Snickers bar was the one that won me $55,000 at Fork in the BC Dodge thing. LOL

I actually had the rod in my hand when my 15 pounder bit me at Camelot Bell.

And Yes.. I am very proud of BOTH of them! roflmao

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Ken A.] #10621951 02/16/15 03:04 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

Good luck in your endeavors. I hope you raise a 25 pound bass down there! Nothing would make me prouder than to say the new world record came from TEXAS waters!

So... What would you call catching a big bass on a private pond while eating a snickers bar? You know, you set your rod down to open the snickers bar and next thing you know is there is a fish pulling on the line. Is that an accomplishment? Should you be proud of that fish?

I am so glad you brought that up but you are a little confused. The fish I caught while eating my Snickers bar was the one that won me $55,000 at Fork in the BC Dodge thing. LOL

......note to self.....
(Self, pack plenty of Snickers bars for the next open in MS)

grin

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Ken A.] #10621997 02/16/15 03:17 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

Ken you left out the part about fishing out of your $65k boat, while eating a snickers, while catching the fish that won you a truck and a boat(that you really did not need).

It's very important you include all the pertinent details for all the "haters"....

#MFGA
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Ken A.] #10622003 02/16/15 03:18 PM
921 Phoenix Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Now that is talent to catch a 55,000 dollar fish while eating a snickers. LOL

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Ken A.] #10622118 02/16/15 03:57 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Stand proud and hold your snickers high Ken!

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Dr JL] #10622387 02/16/15 05:37 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Being the operator of my own pay bass fishery, I enjoy these discussions and learn from them.

I see a lot of similarities.....the "huge bass" especially.

We drained a lake full of gizzard shad and carp. My Guatemalan helpers wanted some fish out of the "hole" as the lake was going dry. One throw with a 30' diameter net and about 10 large carp and one bass, a 14.5 pounder were in the net.

I took that bass back to my holding facility and gave it its own 12' diameter tank. Fed that basstage all it's eat for about three months. When we weighed it before putting it back it had gained a pound to 15.5.

When the lake was rebuilt, re-contoured, refilled, and restocked with plentiful forage, we put that and many other large, female bass back into the seven acre lake. No males. That was two years ago. To date nobody has caught that monster. No dead fish turned up (a dead fish that big would smell bad) and as far as we know that big fish is still in that tiny, seven acre pond, not being caught.

To date, also no record of a spawn, nobody more surprised than me, I may be good, but I'm not perfect.

Even in a relatively confined space, seven measly acres, a large bass can find all it needs to eat, and remain uncaught for more than two years.

Now I feed a lot to that lake. And bass DO come to feed, maybe not to a pellet feeder so much, but if you dump 1000 pounds of bait a week in the same place for a few years, the fish will be there every time they hear a truck go by.

I don't have the money to spend, and must make do with what I can think up, but I do have a hatchery on that facility and another one, where I can raise a LOT of fish, shrimp and crawfish to feed my bass.

If you are trying to make bass get big in a lake off only what that lake may produce, you'd best only have one or two bass to feed. Otherwise you will need to raise, purchase or otherwise bring live food.

We've one customer with a 50 acre lake that buys about 30,000 pounds of shiners, 2000 pounds of bluegills, and 1000 pounds of tilapia a year. Go shock the lake and all you catch is bass, they've eaten everything else.

To quote a buddy, "The largemouth bass is an inherently unmanageable animal."

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: soonersorlaters] #10622466 02/16/15 06:06 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
That's good info Fishbreeder. I think we have a couple mutual friends.

Would love to come take a swing at your big fish pond one day.

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: soonersorlaters] #10622805 02/16/15 07:57 PM
J
JohnButte Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I think La Perla is a neat project and I'm glad you're doing it. I also like that its controversial and sparked great debate. I hope it does produce the record and I look forward to the firestorm that creates. I view fisheries management as far more art than science, and as such think any bass should be honored as a record. The dumb fish doesn't know that it was a prize pig in a private lake, so I would honor it as the noble beast it most certainly thinks it is.

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Fishbreeder] #10622809 02/16/15 07:59 PM
J
JohnButte Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
Being the operator of my own pay bass fishery, I enjoy these discussions and learn from them.

I see a lot of similarities.....the "huge bass" especially.

We drained a lake full of gizzard shad and carp. My Guatemalan helpers wanted some fish out of the "hole" as the lake was going dry. One throw with a 30' diameter net and about 10 large carp and one bass, a 14.5 pounder were in the net.

I took that bass back to my holding facility and gave it its own 12' diameter tank. Fed that basstage all it's eat for about three months. When we weighed it before putting it back it had gained a pound to 15.5.

When the lake was rebuilt, re-contoured, refilled, and restocked with plentiful forage, we put that and many other large, female bass back into the seven acre lake. No males. That was two years ago. To date nobody has caught that monster. No dead fish turned up (a dead fish that big would smell bad) and as far as we know that big fish is still in that tiny, seven acre pond, not being caught.

To date, also no record of a spawn, nobody more surprised than me, I may be good, but I'm not perfect.

Even in a relatively confined space, seven measly acres, a large bass can find all it needs to eat, and remain uncaught for more than two years.

Now I feed a lot to that lake. And bass DO come to feed, maybe not to a pellet feeder so much, but if you dump 1000 pounds of bait a week in the same place for a few years, the fish will be there every time they hear a truck go by.

I don't have the money to spend, and must make do with what I can think up, but I do have a hatchery on that facility and another one, where I can raise a LOT of fish, shrimp and crawfish to feed my bass.

If you are trying to make bass get big in a lake off only what that lake may produce, you'd best only have one or two bass to feed. Otherwise you will need to raise, purchase or otherwise bring live food.

We've one customer with a 50 acre lake that buys about 30,000 pounds of shiners, 2000 pounds of bluegills, and 1000 pounds of tilapia a year. Go shock the lake and all you catch is bass, they've eaten everything else.

To quote a buddy, "The largemouth bass is an inherently unmanageable animal."

Thanks for the insight. Pretty sure bass is an old Indian word meaning "The mouth that swims".

Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: Douglas J] #10622818 02/16/15 08:03 PM
R
RiveraTackleCo. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Doug R.

Ken you left out the part about fishing out of your $65k boat, while eating a snickers, while catching the fish that won you a truck and a boat(that you really did not need).

It's very important you include all the pertinent details for all the "haters"....

Ken doesn't roll that way Doug. He's got more class than that.

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Re: Zona on La Perla lake right now [Re: soonersorlaters] #10623972 02/17/15 02:37 AM
R
Ride 211 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Loved the Show....love Zona and the ranch looks amazing. I hope to have a place like that one day thumb

WHO the hell wouldn't

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide