Print Thread
Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing #10419718 11/18/14 07:28 PM
N
Neumie Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
Taken from TKF which was originally posted on fishwestend.com about a kayak rescue from Galveston on Sunday 11/16/2014:

Quote:
Sunday morning woke up and no wind so me and my brother decide to head out for a quick run and maybe catch some fish. We went over by the Gal. Is. State Park. I cast and look to the east-about 400 or 500 yards away I see a blue kayak and said to my brother- "Hey, maybe we just got a free yak", then I see what looks like a head bobbing at the front of it. The water was 57 degrees, drizzle with mixed rain and about 60 degree outside temp. I look again towards the yak and don't see the head, then I see it again. I thought maybe it was a dog swimming around it. I said maybe we need to go check it out-looks like something's wrong over there. I know the water was around 6' deep where the yak was at with the high tide-about halfway between the sunken geotubes and the shoreline, so we run the boat over to it. A guy was hanging onto the yak-he was shivering cold, speech was slurred and broken and he said he was wading around the tubes and couldn't get back into his yak so he thought he'd swim to shoreline with the yak. He wasn't doing well at all. Told him he needed to get into boat and we'd get him home so he could warm up. He argued some (which evidenced he was having thought/brain issues due to hypothermia), then I tried to pull him in-his hands were curled and couldn't even grab anything but he was able to get his foot on the ladder and I dragged him in. He was wearing shorts, wading boots, a life vest and a fishing shirt. I told him to sit down and we tied off yak and headed in-him shaking uncontrollably. He said he left around daybreak-it was 9:30 now. His knee/leg was bleeding and cut up and I told him he better tend to that wound-he didn't even know he was cut up-he did say he walked into a 'pole' of some sort. We got him to his house, loaded his yak, rod onto his deck and asked if he could even climb the stairs-he said yes and he was starting to become warmer and realized he almost messed up bad and thanked us for getting him home safe. I told him to get into a warm bath or shower-not too hot or he will go into shock-saw his neighbor when were leaving and told him (I know the neighbor) so I'm sure he was OK now.

Moral of this:

1. If something looks 'strange', check it out-you may save someone's life.
2. Don't go out unprepared for the worst weather-shorts and a shirt in 50 degree weather and water isn't being prepared.
3. Yaks are very dangerous in cold water

Firstly, you as a kayak angler need to know you're physical abilities and limitations for participating in this sport. The ability to perform deep-water reentries is a crucial skill-set that must be practiced. Proper paddling form helps when headwinds become a factor while on the water.

Secondly, appropriate cold weather attire is essential when kayak fishing during these cold months. I've learned a lot about proper attire for kayaking since I moved to DFW; which can be read HERE.

Thirdly, monitor the weather. Cold fronts blow through earlier than expected all the time. Checking the forecast prior to leaving the morning of a fishing trip and remaining cognitive of the weather patterns while out on the water help ensure a safe day on the water.

The rescued kayaker was very lucky on Sunday. He was well on his why to succumbing to hypothermia if it weren't for the actions of the boaters.

Last edited by Neumie; 11/18/14 08:19 PM.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing [Re: Neumie] #10420146 11/18/14 10:58 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
He was lucky and good on those guys for making sure he got home safely. Thanks for passing along.

[Linked Image]
Re: Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing [Re: Neumie] #10420159 11/18/14 11:05 PM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
Quote:
Firstly, you as a kayak angler need to know you're physical abilities and limitations for participating in this sport.

For those of you who are new to the sport but a little beyond your best years (older than 40), know that your physical abilities diminish a little every year especially if you have a desk job and don't get enough regular exercise. Kayaking once a week does not qualify as regular exercise and when you spend the rest of the next week recovering from your weekend adventure take that as a warning. Be smart and truthful about your real abilities today so you can fish again for the many tomorrows to come.

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing [Re: Neumie] #10420235 11/19/14 12:05 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Yrs back, a friend & I were both dared by a group of "Friends" to swim across Lake Granbury one mid December day. We were both in top physical condition back then. Plenty of testosterone but a lot of moosh between the ears for brains. All it took was a dare from a group of idiots to get us 2 idiots stripping down to our boxers. We waded out till our jewels hit the water. Then we both looked at one another n gave eachother that look like No turning back now & You only live once! We were almost into it when we both started cramping up. Even though we had each other it was really every idoit for himself with our muscles cramping. Dont know how, but we barely made it to the other side.

Cold water does strange things to your body. Stay in the water long enough & you will get numb, cramp up, get tired then, very sleepy. FYI: Sometime people dont make it even after they get out of the cold water smirk

If your going out in a boat or yak, it doesnt matter. You need to have the right gear & have a solid plan to get out of the water! The worst thing you can do is PANIC. So, stay calm & b prepared.

Re: Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing [Re: Neumie] #10420250 11/19/14 12:11 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Great info Josh.

Thanks for sharing. Always good to remind everyone as we go into the winter months.

Re: Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing [Re: Neumie] #10420254 11/19/14 12:14 AM
S
spiny norman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Glad to hear he survived.

Re: Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing [Re: Neumie] #10420268 11/19/14 12:24 AM
C
Chess101 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
After what I went thru awhile back.... don't think I'll ever go out further than 100yds from the bank if I'm alone(in cold water)

It's serious business!

Re: Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing [Re: Neumie] #10421306 11/19/14 02:34 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Chess,
What happened? popcorn

Re: Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing [Re: District Paddle] #10423044 11/20/14 02:52 AM
B
B_Rod Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: District Paddle
Great info Josh. Always good to remind everyone as we go into the winter months.
thumb

Re: Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing [Re: Neumie] #10423085 11/20/14 03:04 AM
C
Cstorm_19 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Crazy to think about what would've happened if y'all weren't there!

Re: Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing [Re: Neumie] #10424648 11/20/14 09:46 PM
T
TXstryker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Thanks for sharing. Good information to have for sure.

Re: Reminder About the Dangers of Winter Kayak Fishing [Re: Neumie] #10425110 11/21/14 01:45 AM
A
Antman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
learn how to reenter your yak.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide