Print Thread
Cold weather gear time! #10410620 11/14/14 02:02 PM
O
onebaddj Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
O
Its that time of year again to break out the cold weather gear and i just put mine to the test. I got 2 set of the ua base layer 2.0 to keep me warm while fishing out of the kayak and it works. I dont feele the wind and stay warm while wet so you dont have the dead legs when you get back to shore from being cold and numb all day. Well today i was out on the flight line watching my Marines launch out the jets. Its 38 degrees with 12 mph north wind and wind chill of 31. After about an hour and a half everything that was covered with military issue cold weather gear was numb and my face was so numb i couldnt talk right but my legs were fine! An hour later my fingers and toes still hurt. Have alway worn both tops and bottom while fishing so never really tested it againg my issued stuff but man what a differance. Supposed to be cold again tonight and monday tuesday. I am goong to pick up some olive drab so i can wear it under my uniform! I am impressed and just i would share.

MALIBUTEE X-13.

" I wasnt born with enough middle fingers"
Re: Cold weather gear time! [Re: onebaddj] #10410864 11/14/14 03:57 PM
B
Baby Huey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I work construction and this jacket has been pointed out to me. I was thinking thinking it might be good for yakking,thinking it might be lighter than some other gear. It has an optional USB cable for phones.

Has anybody else had experience with this jacket? Any input would be appreciated before I buy one.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/heated-gear#/power-tools/cordless/2391

Last edited by Baby Huey; 11/14/14 03:59 PM.

OSHA tries to make the jobsite "idiot proof" then the employers go and hire the cheapest idiots they can find to prove OSHA wrong.
Re: Cold weather gear time! [Re: onebaddj] #10410919 11/14/14 04:28 PM
D
DataHawk Offline
Angler
Angler
D
I just dug out all my motorcycle cold weather gear this morning. Not talking black leather jacket up under the pants, pants. Wind and water resistant insulated. Head and face cover and glove liners. Figure the under the pants, jeans and rain pants will hold the body heat in. Top I'll wear Underarmor, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt and jacket. Now just have to figure out gloves.

My personal best is still swimming out there just getting bigger. One of these days I will quit feeding it.
Re: Cold weather gear time! [Re: onebaddj] #10410987 11/14/14 04:49 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Went fishing yesterday and wore my standard cold wear-gear.

1st layer: Silk weight sock liner, boxer briefs, and t-shirt
2nd layer: Thick wool socks, lightweight baselayer pant and long sleeve shirt
3rd layer: Performance Fleece wader pant and 1/4 zip pull over
4th layer: Windproof pant and wind/water proof jacket
5th layer: Breathable stockingfoot waders, wading boots, Buff, fleece/wool beanie, and glomitts.

It sounds bulky, but it's really not and I was comfortable all day. Morning temps were 29* with windchill in the upper teens high was around 37*. I was busting ice accumulation from the eyes on my fly rod all morning, but still managed to catch some nice bass (on conventional tackle).

Here's a more detailed response I have for these threads:
Quote:
First and foremost try to avoid any wearing cotton if at all possible. It's a poor insulator, holds moisture against your body, and takes a long time to dry; all bad things in the winter. Wool is excellent at insulating (even when wet) and wicking moisture away from your body. It is a bit expensive, but luckily polyester based synthetic fibers (think fleece) can replicate the properties of wool at a much more affordable price.

I start with knee high silk weight liner socks along with silk weight boxer briefs and under shirt. Then it's a lightweight baselayer pant and long sleeve shirt followed by knee high wool socks over the pant. The next layer consists of a fleece 1/4 zip sweatshirt and fleece wader pants. Then I'll add one more layer of pants which are kind of like your standard fishing pants but made with slightly thicker material and windproof. Everything I wear is designed to pull moisture away from my body. You'll also notice that I wear multiple layers which allows me to remove layers as the outside temperature or my body's temperature rises through the day. While on the water I wear breathable, stockingfoot waders, wading boots, and a lightweight, breathable, wind/water proof rain jacket. This may sound cumbersome and bulky, but I don't feel restricted at all. A fleece/wool beanie, glomitts (fingerless gloves that have the mitten cover flap), and a buff finish off my winter garb.

An important thing to remember is when washing wool, fleece or similar clothing don't throw them in the dryer with a dryer sheet like Bounce. Dryer sheets put a film on the fibers and prevent them from wicking moisture. I actually air dry all my winter and summer fishing clothing because of that.

Wearing a PFD is probably more important during the winter than summer. You're going to be wearing more clothing which makes it more difficult to swim and you also don't know how your body is going to react with the shock of entering cold water. You could easily become disorientated or the shock of the cold water could cause you to instantly inhale while under water.

Waders are OK to wear during the winter. If properly worn with a belt they are hard to fill up. If they do fill up with water they don't weigh you down like most people think, however they could make it more difficult to swim or get back into your kayak so you may have to ditch the waders to increase your mobility.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Cold weather gear time! [Re: onebaddj] #10411292 11/14/14 07:08 PM
W
weklfrog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted By: onebaddj
Its that time of year again to break out the cold weather gear and i just put mine to the test. I got 2 set of the ua base layer 2.0 to keep me warm while fishing out of the kayak and it works. I dont feele the wind and stay warm while wet so you dont have the dead legs when you get back to shore from being cold and numb all day. Well today i was out on the flight line watching my Marines launch out the jets. Its 38 degrees with 12 mph north wind and wind chill of 31. After about an hour and a half everything that was covered with military issue cold weather gear was numb and my face was so numb i couldnt talk right but my legs were fine! An hour later my fingers and toes still hurt. Have alway worn both tops and bottom while fishing so never really tested it againg my issued stuff but man what a differance. Supposed to be cold again tonight and monday tuesday. I am goong to pick up some olive drab so i can wear it under my uniform! I am impressed and just i would share.

Timing is everything. Was staying in a cottage on Delmar Beach last weekend to celebrate grandson-the-younger's first birthday. Had great weather -- high 70s to low 80s. Unfortunately, didn't have time to get out on the water with my son.

Re: Cold weather gear time! [Re: onebaddj] #10411727 11/14/14 09:54 PM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Neumie has good information. I wade Spillway Creek at Beavers Bend a few times each winter, and I basically wear what he has described. I have no mobility issues, I don't get cold, and I'm not worn out after 90 minutes because I'm wearing too much. I tend to lean toward neoprene gloves more than wool, but that's just me. Something about wet fabric that I can't deal with....

Artie
Re: Cold weather gear time! [Re: onebaddj] #10411836 11/14/14 10:45 PM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Not much that I need to add to Josh's post other than a Zippo hand warmer.

Really nice piece of gear to add to your cold weather assortment.

Re: Cold weather gear time! [Re: onebaddj] #10412162 11/15/14 01:44 AM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I layer up and use breathable waiders. I fish all year snow or ice. The waiders i do find make standing to throw my castnet more difficult but not too bad.

Re: Cold weather gear time! [Re: onebaddj] #10412778 11/15/14 02:45 PM
O
onebaddj Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
O
Neumie thats a nice bass! I would have never thought to fish that shallow in that cold of weather. I usually target deeper water in cold months. And with all the layers you described i expected you to look like randy off the christmas story. Lol

MALIBUTEE X-13.

" I wasnt born with enough middle fingers"
Re: Cold weather gear time! [Re: onebaddj] #10412806 11/15/14 02:59 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
I bought a Simms jacket from APT for this winter. Really happy with it so far.

Re: Cold weather gear time! [Re: District Paddle] #10414657 11/16/14 02:23 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted By: District Paddle
Not much that I need to add to Josh's post other than a Zippo hand warmer.

Really nice piece of gear to add to your cold weather assortment.

How do you use the Zippo hand warmer? Can you put it in a pocket inside all your layers, or does it need air circulating to keep it burning? I was looking at one yesterday at REI but wasn't sure how to use it while fishing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide