Forums59
Topics1,039,947
Posts13,972,945
Members144,225
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10173271 07/29/14 03:06 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
"Catchin' biguns in a barrel..."

Yep, surely a little ole pond of a few dozens of acres with all them big ole tame bass in it ought to be easy pickin's for any well informed and properly equipped bass fisherman used to fishin' hundreds and thousands of acres of public water, right?

Well, I got me a 15 ana half pounder in a SEVEN acre fishin' pond right here in Danbury, an' got an' openin' to boot....so's all comers with fat wallets are welcome. I don't know if that fish had EVER been caught by hook and line, but we were draining a lake and trying to salvage some of the fish from it.

One of my Guatemalan workers was using a 30' cast net caught the 27" behemoth, which I kept and fed in my holding facility until ready to place in a lake.

We weighed the fish prior to releasing it into the prepared, 7 acre pond, along with a few hundred other, 2-10 pound, female bass. It was right at 15.5 pounds.

That was almost a year ago, nobody has reported a dead fish from that lake, but neither has the fish been caught after many hours of fishing by many, very good fishermen. Some of the others have been caught and released, and have been monitored, as growing very well in the forage dense lake.

But fishing that lake is no cakewalk, and catching fish in it is no easy thing, especially the biggest fish in it are difficult to fool onto a hook.

And yet, its ONLY seven acres......and I do have a opening...

Just a note, we have yet to see any evidence of a bass spawn in two years in that lake, nobody more surprised them me, who checked every fish to be sure it was female, but I have never been 100%, even with small numbers. One of my crazy projects, an "all female" population, or as close as I could get, to limit population numbers as well as prevent all those small bass from eating everything before it interests the big ones.

But it is truly a challenge for the fishermen. Here is a pic from googlemaps. That was when first rebuilt, the islands are covered in semiaquatic vegetation now. You can see the channels, and zoom in you see the tractor tire reefs we built.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lake+Rd,+Danbury,+TX+77534/@29.2071136,-95.2904543,226m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x864064147b7809d5:0xc96345a9a0e9783d

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Fishbreeder] #10173364 07/29/14 03:53 PM
L
La Perla Ranch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
"Catchin' biguns in a barrel..."

Yep, surely a little ole pond of a few dozens of acres with all them big ole tame bass in it ought to be easy pickin's for any well informed and properly equipped bass fisherman used to fishin' hundreds and thousands of acres of public water, right?

Well, I got me a 15 ana half pounder in a SEVEN acre fishin' pond right here in Danbury, an' got an' openin' to boot....so's all comers with fat wallets are welcome. I don't know if that fish had EVER been caught by hook and line, but we were draining a lake and trying to salvage some of the fish from it.

One of my Guatemalan workers was using a 30' cast net caught the 27" behemoth, which I kept and fed in my holding facility until ready to place in a lake.

We weighed the fish prior to releasing it into the prepared, 7 acre pond, along with a few hundred other, 2-10 pound, female bass. It was right at 15.5 pounds.

That was almost a year ago, nobody has reported a dead fish from that lake, but neither has the fish been caught after many hours of fishing by many, very good fishermen. Some of the others have been caught and released, and have been monitored, as growing very well in the forage dense lake.

But fishing that lake is no cakewalk, and catching fish in it is no easy thing, especially the biggest fish in it are difficult to fool onto a hook.

And yet, its ONLY seven acres......and I do have a opening...

Just a note, we have yet to see any evidence of a bass spawn in two years in that lake, nobody more surprised them me, who checked every fish to be sure it was female, but I have never been 100%, even with small numbers. One of my crazy projects, an "all female" population, or as close as I could get, to limit population numbers as well as prevent all those small bass from eating everything before it interests the big ones.

But it is truly a challenge for the fishermen. Here is a pic from googlemaps. That was when first rebuilt, the islands are covered in semiaquatic vegetation now. You can see the channels, and zoom in you see the tractor tire reefs we built.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lake+Rd,+Danbury,+TX+77534/@29.2071136,-95.2904543,226m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x864064147b7809d5:0xc96345a9a0e9783d

Really interesting Fishbreeder. I am convinced that I am seeing the same phenomena with bass catch ability that I see with deer visibility/kill ability, i.e. the more primo and easy to consume the food is, and the fatter and healthier they get, the harder they are to catch/kill. It appears to me that free choice LARGE food plots do this more so than feeders, whether it be deer or bass, because there is not the opportunity to train them to a specific site, and they eventually just get and stay stuffed by overwhelming the deer or the bass with natural food in great abundance. I wander if this is part of the explanation for what you are seeing, or if they have just wised up?

La Perla Ranch
Zapata County, Texas
tecomateranch.com
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10173480 07/29/14 04:40 PM
horseplaydvm Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Hey Fouz,
I'm not so sure the pure Florida strain is the answer. I was shocked to see that since 2009 when TP&W published the results of Pure vs Florida/ Northern crosses that there were 5 fish over 16 lbs turned into the SAL program. Four of those 5 fish were F1 crosses. Also, I don't remember the exact numbers, but the majority of fish turned into the SAL program since 2009 were also F1 crosses not pure Florida strain. Maybe the Florida strain genetics have been the problem recently?

[Linked Image]
Gone Fishing
B.A.S. 6/5/47-6/6/12
C.W.S. 9/29/72- 10/17/23
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10173494 07/29/14 04:49 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I'm not sure either, Doc. At least not in public reservoirs.

But I can tell you that the pure Floridas in Camelot Bell have done quite well. There are no telling how many giants in that 40 acre lake. Mike released one from his 1,500 gallon aquarium 3 years ago that weighed 17 pounds on the nose. No one has landed her, but there have been a bunch of 13-15.80 lb fish caught since then. There's a guy out there fishing right now who caught a 12 and 13 yesterday and Mike caught a 13 himself. Plus a bunch of other solid fish to 10 lbs. Just very hard to get one of the real giants that are in there in the boat. They break 65# braid in the brush and cable pile with regularity. Especially this time of year when their metabolism is rocking!

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: horseplaydvm] #10173543 07/29/14 05:13 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
Hey Fouz,
I'm not so sure the pure Florida strain is the answer. I was shocked to see that since 2009 when TP&W published the results of Pure vs Florida/ Northern crosses that there were 5 fish over 16 lbs turned into the SAL program. Four of those 5 fish were F1 crosses. Also, I don't remember the exact numbers, but the majority of fish turned into the SAL program since 2009 were also F1 crosses not pure Florida strain. Maybe the Florida strain genetics have been the problem recently?

It sure makes you wonder if we have been seeing some hybrid vigor like that found in terrestrial animals. Where are these published results horseplaydvm? That will be an interesting read.

[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: fouzman] #10173550 07/29/14 05:19 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: fouzman
But I can tell you that the pure Floridas in Camelot Bell have done quite well. There are no telling how many giants in that 40 acre lake. Mike released one from his 1,500 gallon aquarium 3 years ago that weighed 17 pounds on the nose. No one has landed her, but there have been a bunch of 13-15.80 lb fish caught since then. There's a guy out there fishing right now who caught a 12 and 13 yesterday and Mike caught a 13 himself. Plus a bunch of other solid fish to 10 lbs. Just very hard to get one of the real giants that are in there in the boat. They break 65# braid in the brush and cable pile with regularity. Especially this time of year when their metabolism is rocking!

You're KILLING me!! cry

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: grout-scout] #10173572 07/29/14 05:27 PM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
I wonder who is going to pay for all the baitfish in Jalisco? Are prawns, bluegill, shad, minnows & sunfish also donated to the SAL program or are the tax payers buying them?

Did you even read the post before you posted? Apparently not.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: JacksonBean] #10173661 07/29/14 06:21 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: Nutman
The real deal here is not the results from the SALs or the frys or the feeding techniques or even if a big bass were to be caught could it be considered for a Texas State record. I have my doubts.
The real issue is the transparency of the deal and the use of tax dollars for some "perceived" gain. To do this arrangement during our current flux on the national level,,, without announcing it ahead of time,,, is just not smart.
It just smells "fishy".
I'm sure it will all work out for the best, but some of us folks just don't like the smell. Yeah we'll get over it just like we get over everything else but we are going to vent first.

I'm so sick of the assumptions and accusations some of you are making. It's ridiculous and downright depressing.

How much more transparent could TPWD and Dr. Schwarz be? My gosh, they posted a copy of the 15 year contract. Not one of you have any idea if ANY tax dollars were used. May have been, may have not been since SAL is funded primarily from private donations. Your tax dollars are wasted in this country and this state on a regular basis. I don't view this scientific experiment as a waste and none of you can either, until the full results are known.

Yet you want to "vent" about things you have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of. Based on some half baked assumptions on your part.

Let me break it down for you in black and white.

Dr. Schwarz has built a great fishery called La Perla Lake on his land with his dollars. He's also built one of the most elaborate hatchery systems for forage that I've ever seen, and yes, I have seen it in person.

He then turned a mudhole into Jalisco Lake, with his own money.

TPWD was impressed by his operation and wanted to try something new, so they sent 7,404 SAL fry to La Perla Ranch to be stocked into this new lake. No predators and all the forage the fish could need. This will enable TPWD to grow giant bass in record time. Some of which will undoubtedly find their way to Athens for spawning. But where will those fry go? Back into waters that need them for all of us to enjoy.

I'm sure TPWD will also sell some of the fish culled from Jalisco over time. Those monies will go right back into the program to benefit all of us.

Folks complain about the SAL program, and the fact that fewer fish over 13 pounds are being caught from our lakes each year and even fewer "teenagers". Lakes peak and 10-15 years just like Lake Fork did. After that time, public reservoirs see a gradual decline in the numbers of giant bass produced. This is due to diminished water quality, fishing pressure and genetic degradation. (Pure Floridas crossing with F1's and Northern Natives).

Jalisco will have no genetic mixing. These fish will be pure Florida bass with a propensity to grow to enormous proportions, and fast! So will their offspring.

What if TPWD/Jalisco produce tons of teenagers (which they will) and those fish go back into the SAL/OWR program? How can that be bad for you and I?

Perhaps TPWD has figured out the only way for them to keep the giant first generation genetics in our fisheries pure is through cooperative efforts with private landowners, heck I dunno. On properties where many of the variables can be controlled.

What if TPWD allowed fishing of the brood ponds that helped populate Lake Fork? How good would it have been and how many of the Top 50 Bass in Texas would have never been caught? A bunch, imo.

Finally, we have a private landowner using millions of his own dollars for this project. The 7,404 fry that were "given" to him by TPWD is a micro-fraction of the expense he has, and will continue to incur in seeing this project through.

Dr. Schwarz's potential financial gain on the project won't begin to be realized for a minimum of 15 years and he will never recoup his entire investment.

As for largemouth bass records, Texas has categories for both Public and Private fisheries.

Great post Chris.

Thank you Chris...idiots. I love it when folks build amazing fisheries and reap the rewards, I wish I had the money to do it, I would in a heartbeat!

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10173664 07/29/14 06:22 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Jordan Shipley
Members of the forum... I see where some of you were wondering where I have been given all of the debate and input concerning the announced partnership between the TPWD and Dr Gary Schwarz of the La Perla Ranch, on the Jalisco Lake Project. I’ve been short on time as of late smile GregMKJr, I guess us "washed up" ball players have to find other things to do after 7 surgeries, but luckily, I’ve always liked hunting and fishing better if truth be known.

I’ve been wanting to post my personal thoughts about the debate concerning TPWD stocking bass into Jalisco Lake that has been taking place on the forum for the past few weeks, but have been filming a football movie and trying to get everything done for the upcoming year of the Tecomate TV shows at the same time. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into! Anyway, the director of this new movie wrote “Hoosiers” and “Rudy”, two of my favorite movies of all time. I don’t completely know what to expect, but I do know that the football was realistic enough that I came home bumped and bruised many nights. The movie is about Freddie Steinmark and the 1969 UT National Championship team. Freddie was a defensive back for the a Longhorns who played for the Horns in the year of the Big Shootout between Texas and Arkansas in 1969. He played most of the year with bone cancer in his leg and didn’t want to take a chance on missing the season to see a Doctor. He had his leg amputated after they were declared National Champions and didn’t live long afterwards. I’m playing Cotton Speyrer, who was an All-American WR on that team. It’s called “My All American” and if they decide to put it out this year it will probably be in theatres early Jan before the National Championship game.

Anyway, I absolutely understand the initial skepticism that some had on this project. I will admit, that like many of you, I have had my doubts about how much the Sharelunker Program was helping us, especially in light of the declining weights over the past 7 years or so. Not that I think Sharelunker is necessarily to blame for a lot of our Lakes going downhill – the main downside that I see in it is the added pressure lakes get when a ShareLunker (or several) are caught. In my opinion, the two biggest factors that have led to a decline in our lakes are the degradation/aging of them and pressure due to internet (I’m convinced that this effect is greater when a SAL is caught but this isn't going to change). The degradation of the lakes has a huge effect on forage. A lot of the underwater forest that used to be Lake Fork is now slowly decaying. I really believed Lake Austin was our best chance for a Lake not to be affected by aging. LA had a ton of hydrilla and is constant level (other than years past when they lower it for a period of time). I saw first hand how that lake exploded with the grass…. Now with the carp having been put in and Hydrilla eaten to nothing… I think we will soon see a decline there as well.
Let me say this though… How cool is it that we have a State that would even try something like the SAL program in order to help bass fishing in our Lakes? I love the thinking.

Having personally seen Jalisco and La Perla and the blood, sweat, and tears that Gary poured into both Lake projects (it’s hard to fully understand until you’ve seen it)… I believe 100% that the best investment TPWD could have ever made is to put Sharelunker fry into Jalisco Lake. The first fish Gary donates to the program could easily provide our public lakes with many times the amount of fry that TPWD put into Jalisco. If I had to guess… I think that will happen this year-- and from a Lake that TPWD had no involvement or INVESTMENT in creating. There is a reason why the editor of Bassmaster Magazine said that the La Perla bass projects were the biggest bass project to date in the history of the world. I can promise you that what Gary has done has come at a huge personal sacrifice. Gary has already said he will turn in bass to the SAL program and he didn’t buy the SAL fry that were stocked in Jalisco. And why would he? He’s not the one who will benefit from them… at least not for a looooong time.

To be truthful, Dr. Schwarz doesn’t need the SAL program. By that I mean he didn’t need them to give him fry from a SAL that didn’t come from La Perla. They shocked up a 14 lb bass in a survey at La Perla last fall that TPWD didn’t take because it wasn’t caught. I feel sure that we broke off a few SAL’s during SAL season this year. Gary definitely understands that he could have waited until SAL season coming up and in all likelihood he’d catch one out of La Perla to turn in. He caught a 12-6 four days ago. We caught several other 12’s this year – 2 in one day on a TV show and didn’t fish it hard at all. I probably fished 4-5 times… all during the middle of the day.
If he had waited and been able to turn in a SAL from La Perla this fall he would have received many more fingerlings from the La Perla SAL than what TPWD just put in to Jalisco. AND with absolutely NO TIES to or restrictions from TPWD. He could do whatever he wanted with it whenever he wanted from the word GO. It would all be the Gary Schwarz project. Think about this…. He signed a 15 year contract that gives him no control over his own Lake that he has a HUGE investment in in order to help TPWD and the Sharelunker program. Not only will most people on this forum never fish Jalisco… Gary Schwarz can’t even fish his own lake for 15 years unless TPWD invites him! Who would make that kind of a sacrifice and investment and hand it to TPWD to help bass fishing in Texas? Not me. Not anyone I know of. It’s hard for me to criticize that.
As mentioned, if and when a SAL is turned in from La Perla Lake this fall or in the next couple years and spawns… TPWD will get many times the amount of fingerlings that they put in to private Jalisco….. to put into PUBLIC Lakes! So… to answer the question of why were Sharelunker fingerlings put into a Private Lake? Because TPWD saw the opportunity to take advantage of something that’s already been funded and built, that is truly incredible… which Gary has basically donated to TPWD in order to grow other SAL’s to enter into the program. PLUS, they’ll get SAL’s from La Perla Lake as a bonus. Thank goodness Allen Forshage recognized that the cost/benefit ratio made it a no brainer from their end. If anybody is a loser on this deal it's Schwarz. If anybody else had built what Gary did TPWD would probably invest SAL fry with them too. I think they’d be stupid not to. With several large forage ponds (that can be drained into the lake) that make up 50% of the acreage of the entire lake, the nutrition (prawns included) they will get at Jalisco is obviously far superior to anything they could get in a public lake situation. Plus, they’ll manage the Lake to make sure it’s not overpopulated. What this creates is an incredible opportunity to grow several more Sharelunkers that can be donated to the program... and provides an opportunity to release the resulting SAL fry into PUBLIC lakes in amounts that wouldn’t have been possible otherwise.

Another thing to consider is the incredible advantage the SAL fry TPWD stocked in Jalisco will have as far as survival rates. I have no doubt that the fingerlings that came from Frank Kirk's SAL stocked in Jalisco will have the highest survival rate of any SAL stocking in history. They have 0 predators at this point. It’s them and 15 times the standard stocking rate of fathead minnows. And who do you think paid for all those fathead minnows? Not the state… not Toyota…..the same person who funded everything else on this deal. They will be stocking on a timeline with bluegill and shad when the fingerlings grow to appropriate size so they aren’t vulnerable to predation. Another note...Let’s say a SAL is caught from Jalisco in year 6 or 7 when TPWD test fishes it and they take it to Athens. When the “home lake” percentage of fry go back to Jalisco they can be initially stocked into one of the 15 acre forage ponds above the lake to be grown with fathead minnows and released when they are close to a pound. Therefore they won’t be nearly as vulnerable to predation from adult bass already in the lake and will again have exponentially higher survival rates. The same is true for any SAL from Jalisco in the 15 years that TPWD controls it… and I wonder who will be the first person to help TPWD after those 15 years are up? I know where my bet is.

These are just my thoughts... although I do have the added perspective of having seen what’s going on at La Perla… and I also know Gary Schwarz’s heart for people, our state and our fisheries. I personally see a lot of potential benefits with what’s going on at La Perla… and as a bass fisherman on public lakes in Texas… TPWD stocking SAL fry into Jalisco might end up benefiting you more than you think.

thank you for your hard work sir!

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10173719 07/29/14 06:49 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Full and/or wised up????

Both, I think. I've no doubt that the bass get wise to the more common baits and strategies in a C&R situation over time. I have from time to time witnessed some wild and totally off the wall crazy things catch "wised up" bass. Just because they never saw it before, if for no other reason. A story to relate in a sec...

I have also seen that bass in poor condition and very hungry, are not always an easy catch, either. Better fed, healthier fish being better biters than poor ones. But when you've an abundance of food in the environment, and not necessarily at a feeding station, I've seen the fish get dang "picky" about what they'll hit and what they'll ignore.

first story, I came in to work at a corporate fishing resort I once managed, not unlike Lakes of Danbury, but without the Bohemians and with money....one morning. My assistant, Mike, brings in a rod and reel from the tackle room with a strange rigging and shows it to me. It was a single, maybe 5/0 or 6/0 "worm" hook that had been "threaded" back and forth through a bright, metal flake, gold, like a gold nugget, rubber shad. Not in any kind of "match the hatch" fashion or in any way that could make any sense at all, just threaded through maybe three times onto the hook, long ways.

Of course I cried "BS" and told him we needed to do our Monday morning paperwork and to quit fooling around. But he insisted he wasn't BSing and made me follow him into the tackle room. We'd had a big group over the weekend, but they fished Sunday "unguided". Every pole in the joint had the same crazy looking rig, a gold rubber shad threaded onto a big worm hook, no sinker, no attempt at making it look like a fish, just a hunk of gold rubber. He also had pictures from the group, all happy and holding up fish and the crazy rig. Go figure. I means some of the stuff they sell for baits nowadays hardly resembles a living thing, but fish bite 'em, maybe just out of curiosity.

Then there was the red and white speckled cichlids we raised for feeders one year at LoD. Red and white with black spots, like a sunfish or tilapia, and we fed literally hundreds of pounds that we raised on the farm. The members figured out they could do quite well with bone colored crank baits and plugs, painted up with a red indelible marker and some black freckles added for effect. They'd pull them out after knowing I'd fed the lake and just slayed the big bass.

I learned all this from operating a "private" fishing resort, started in Crockett, moved down here, helped build LoD from the bottom up, moved on, and so on.

Fishbreeder

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: JacksonBean] #10173847 07/29/14 07:57 PM
horseplaydvm Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Hey Fouz,

It sure makes you wonder if we have been seeing some hybrid vigor like that found in terrestrial animals. Where are these published results horseplaydvm? That will be an interesting read.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/sharelunker/archives/

[Linked Image]
Gone Fishing
B.A.S. 6/5/47-6/6/12
C.W.S. 9/29/72- 10/17/23
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10173891 07/29/14 08:17 PM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Some interseting data might be able to be made form the Share lunker program, since 2011 only 2 16+ # fish have been entered, both were Fx, not F.

It would be an interesting genetic experiment to bread only the heaviest of fish for a while, say the heaviest couple of share lunkers each year, with the heaviest males available, but not limit to only pure F genetics.

To see if you could genetically predispose those fish to be much bigger, regardless of being pure strain or not, to allow strain variation and let nature take its course.

You can see other "evolutions" like that in the wild over time, that might not have happened the way they did if they were always breed back with a "pure breed" , this might be actually limiting the genetic potential?

An example i can think of that sort of explains this characteristic is a study done over decades on Foxes in russia, they hand picked the most docile of each litter and breed them until they had tame foxes that act like lap dogs, but there is something more interesting about it.

In the study the more tame the foxes became through breeding, the more "dog " like triats they exhibited, not just emotionally, but physically as well. Rounded floppy ears, different colored coats, etc. When breed back with a strait fox these traits did not occur.

I'm wondering what the out come would be if we did not limit the experiment to pure F, but allowed giant Fx etc into the mix, and use our breeding determination purely by size?

What would nature then do, unlock something in the genetic code we are not seeing, forcing pure F only?

It's possible this has been tried before, don't know. But the Fox angle made me wonder, especially seeing as how the biggest as of late have been Fx, and we did not allow those genes to breed(or at least not in the stocking pool).

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10173914 07/29/14 08:31 PM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Another interesting trend that might be worth trying to extrapolate, is the tendency for lakes to produce share lunkers with Hydrilla vs without.

And I don't necessarily mean lakes that never had it vs ones that do, I would also like to mix in when they did , and contributed share lunkers vs when it was eradicated or severely reduced and if and how many they did.

Remember, Florida strain fix evolved in a region with alot of aquatic vegetation, northern strain did not.

This is also a possible key to the equation. Of course there are some lakes that don't have it that do very well, mainly very rocky brushy lakes, but this again is a habitat rich environment.

Looking at the info on the TPWD site, a few lakes stand out that did contribute SL's, then around that same time, had complete annihilation or sever decrease of hydrilla and other vegetation, and abruptly stopped producing SL's.

Just some food for thought in discussion.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10173934 07/29/14 08:41 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Falcon has never had hydrilla and at its peak had as many 13's swimming around as any lake. The hydrilla question has many variables and every lake has to be treated different. Some do good with it, some not. The older lakes I think benefit the most where as lakes like falcon may benefit more from water fluctuations and shoreline growth. The private lakes do best without it if I remember correct.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: horseplaydvm] #10173944 07/29/14 08:44 PM
S
salex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Hey Fouz,

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/sharelunker/archives/

There is no dispute that Florida Bass Grow larger than Native Bass. There is also no dispute that Florida Bass become conditioned to artificial baits faster than Native Bass. Research verifies this. The reason you see so many FX fish in the SAL program is that as a percentage there are far far fewer pure floridas in a lake and they bite artificials less often. Hence the reason for so many FX crosses that make the list.

I sell all 3 types of LMB and I tell customers and potential customers that if you stock pure floridas your catch rates will drop, but you will grow bigger fish. Just like life, there is give and take.

Steve Alexander
salexander@privatewaterfishing.com
www.privatewaterfishing.com

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide