Forums59
Topics1,039,912
Posts13,972,128
Members144,222
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: horseplaydvm] #10160950 07/24/14 02:33 PM
Jordan Shipley Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
[quote=horseplaydvm]Jordan,
You also mention Mr Schwarz is willing to donate a future SAL from La Perla to TP&W for spawning purposes. What if that fish dies? It has happened numerous times before regardless of how well this fish care has been. What would be the monetary loss on his investment? Just something for him to ponder."]
At this point I don't think in terms of a monetary investment any of this makes a lot of sense for Gary and he'd be the first to tell you. I know he would be heartbroken if one of his La Perla lake fish died, but I don't know how or if he would equate that to a monetary loss. I didn't post my opinions above to make Gary look like some kind of a Saint either. I just felt like it was important to say why I thought TPWD stocked Jalisco... the fact is that is probably wasn't the best thing for Gary - It doesn't always make sense to me why he let them stock Jalisco when I personally don't think he needed them. But that's Gary. What did TPWD lose? They made a 7,000 (or whatever it was) fingerling investment in something that Gary had poured a significant portion of his livelihood into. Why did Gary do it? Only he can say.

["Please explain to us how stocking a private lake and feeding these bass under a controlled environment is going to benefit our public waters? Remember, TP&W has been trying this experiment for many years. The only difference is the location and feeding program. Maybe just explain how to replicate what Mr Schwarz is doing with his private lakes to get the same result in public waters? The only thing it will benefit is Mr Schwarz."]

Last question first - What Dr. Schwarz is doing is 100% impossible to replicate in public waters. And that is EXACTLY the point of my post! This has nothing to do with transferring the Jalisco lake system to public waters and everything to do with transferring SAL fingerlings that come from donated La Perla and Jalisco Lake fish that can and will be put into PUBLIC waters. As I said above, If you're still thinking in terms of replicating the Jalisco system we're on totally different wavelengths. Somebody would be very hard pressed to even replicate it in private waters.

Anyway -- I just wanted to weigh in on the situation.. just my thoughts - definitely not saying I'm right on this and it will take time to see what happens. I'm also not saying it for sure will work... But was it worth TPWD putting 7,000 fingerlings into Jalisco for us to find out? I believe it was. We'll all have to watch and wait I reckon. I'm glad I live in a state where a whole lot of folks care about our fishing!

Twitter - @Jordan_Shipley
Instagram - @jordanshipley8
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10160954 07/24/14 02:36 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I don't understand. So many people on here complaining because it doesn't benefit them, instead of sitting back and watching where this goes. This is a really awesome project that they are working on, and the fact that they will donate a portion of the SAL's caught out of either lake is commendable. I personally can't wait to see the results, regardless of whether it directly affects me or not.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10160981 07/24/14 02:45 PM
J
jbguide Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Everybody should be happy that this happened. Because South Texas basically got a fish hatchery out of this. Hopefully the fry and any of the culled adult bass that are taking out of this lake project are stocked back into public waters.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10160984 07/24/14 02:46 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
20 years from now all the TFF'ers opposed to this will be sitting around drinking beer and bragging to their out-of-state friends about how TEXAS grew the world record bass, hypocrites!

Last edited by InTheClear; 07/24/14 02:47 PM.
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10160985 07/24/14 02:46 PM
J
JHNiem Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
The way I see it 7000 fry is just a drop in the hat to what the SAL program produces every year. Next year when they donate a fish, in all likelihood it will produce way more fry than what they recieved. But I am looking at the potential for the future. You have two lakes that will produce large numbers of SAL sized fish, they have the potential to donate 5, 10, 15 fish or more a year to the SAL program. This could make an impact on Texas fisheries by putting a larger number of good genetic fish back into public waters. Dr. Schwarz seems to have the mind set to improve all fisheries not just his, and after he reaches his world record size fish I am sure he will start donating more fish per year back to the SAL program.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10161008 07/24/14 02:58 PM
J
Jersey Dan Offline
Guido
Guido
J
#1 TPWD cares nothing about improving the bass fishing in Texas.

#2 LA Perla cares nothing about improving the bass fishing in Texas.

#3 These marketing or save face post need to be in plugs or announcements.There should be monthly a "La Perla giveaway" for all of this free promotion on the TFF.

#4 Lot's of talk for a lake that has only produced 12lb fish. If a record is coming from private water, Camelot Bell has the better chance and is years ahead of La Perla. Camelot Bell genetics dominate over anything that TPWD could offer.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10161010 07/24/14 02:59 PM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Jordan Shipley
the main downside that I see in it is the added pressure lakes get when a ShareLunker (or several) are caught. In my opinion, the two biggest factors that have led to a decline in our lakes are the degradation/aging of them and pressure due to internet (Im convinced that this effect is greater when a SAL is caught but this isn't going to change).

What do you think is going to happen to lake pressures when and if you guys create a 20+lb Bass? The public will automatically assume theres 20 lbers in every lake...

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jersey Dan] #10161014 07/24/14 03:01 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jersey Dan

loco

[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jersey Dan] #10161021 07/24/14 03:04 PM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M

#2 LA Perla cares nothing about improving the bass fishing in Texas.

#3 These marketing or save face post need to be in plugs or announcements.There should be monthly a "La Perla giveaway" for all of this free promotion on the TFF.

#4 Lot's of talk for a lake that has only produced 12lb fish. If a record is coming from private water, Camelot Bell has the better chance and is years ahead of La Perla. Camelot Bell genetics dominate over anything that TPWD could offer.

Bro...I think you need a hug.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10161025 07/24/14 03:07 PM
Chet Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Jordan Shipley
["Well, all this is wonderful except for the fact that NONE of what happens at this private lake will be transferable to a large public impoundment."]
Again, that's exactly the point... and it's the reason TWPD stocked Jalisco! You could never replicate the potential success rate that Jalisco will have for growing SAL sized fish in public waters, and I don't think any one else will do it in private waters. If you're still thinking in terms of replicating what Doc is doing with Jalisco in public waters you've way missed the point of my post. Per your above comment... the one thing that is absolutely transferable to a large public impoundment is a big portion of SAL fingerlings from both La Perla Lake and Jalisco when SAL's are turned in.

If you believe that SAL fingerlings are any different from the pure Floridas that could be used maybe. I've yet to be shown any real benefit to large impoundments, and that's all I'm saying. If something comes out of this that improves Texas fishing I'll be the first to say great work, but just not holding my breath.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10161027 07/24/14 03:08 PM
J
Jersey Dan Offline
Guido
Guido
J
Here is a simple fix for TWPD if they truly cared about improving bass fishing. Scrap the gimmick sharelunker program and focus on getting grass back into your lakes which 90% of them now lack.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: JacksonBean] #10161065 07/24/14 03:20 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

loco

Don't pay any attention to Dan. He has a Yankee sense of humor.

bouncy

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jersey Dan] #10161075 07/24/14 03:22 PM
Jordan Shipley Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Here is a simple fix for TWPD if they truly cared about improving bass fishing. Scrap the gimmick sharelunker program and focus on getting grass back into your lakes which 90% of them now lack.

JD - It hurt so bad losing the grass on Austin. And it's still hurting! smile I agree that there are other things TPWD can do that may significantly impact our fishing in a positive way.

I'm not saying that I personally believe the SAL program is going to prove to be worthwhile for the Texas Lakes. I've had my share of concerns. What I am saying is that if they're going to do it, I think putting some fingerlings into Jalisco was a smart move on their part.

Twitter - @Jordan_Shipley
Instagram - @jordanshipley8
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jersey Dan] #10161077 07/24/14 03:22 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J

True story but fluctuations in water levels can't be predicted or stopped on a few of the lakes where grass is beneficial. Now there are a few lakes, conroe and austin, where the grass was obviously creating a super fishery but the homeowners nixed that process.

Bottom line is, the future of bass fishing in Texas is not an exact science and we can sit here and arm chair biologist all day but its not going to change what's at hand. Let it play out and see what happens, pray for more rain on our "super lakes" and enjoy what we have while we have it. It could be way worse!

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10161112 07/24/14 03:34 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
TPWD doesn't care about the improving fishing in Texas? Where else can you go and it takes 30+ lbs to win nearly every tournament? In the last 20 years the fishing in this state has improved tremendously.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide