Forums59
Topics1,039,478
Posts13,965,480
Members144,207
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10156759 07/22/14 09:25 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
You guys settle down. Your going to get lupe543's post taken down. There has only been one disrespectful post and he is not going to retract it, so who cares.

I respect everyone's opinion on all bodies of water, but that doesn't mean that I have to fish the way they do. What I do want to know is all the information they will give me on how they fish it. Sooner or later my ways of fishing will not work because of the conditions and I will have some knowledge to fall back on.

fishnfireman and I are good as far as I am concerned. We both take some getting use to. He just has to understand that I am not talking about something that has only happen in the last 2 years. I have seen this happen 2 other times over 35 years. The Bass have been on the deep walls all three times. They always come back even better than before. It is just taking the grass longer this time to come back and I don't know how that is going to effect them.

This is my opinion on the last two spawns. These new fish are learning the ways of the deep ledges and walls. They have never experienced the deep grass so they may never come back unless some of the big old bass bring them back when the grass gets tall. Once they get acclimated to a way of life there may not be a reason for them to move shallow even if the grass is good. Who knows.. This will be a wait and see thing if the lake ever stabilizes for a long enough period of time for the grass to get 25 to 30 ft. tall.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: snickers] #10156909 07/22/14 10:28 PM
F
fishnfireman Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: snickers
but you can pick on a old man.
Originally Posted By: fishnfireman
Originally Posted By: snickers
So your a disrespectful child . And a dooshbag to boot
Originally Posted By: fishnfireman
[quote=snickers]How old are you.

Old enough to recognize the smell of B.S. But young enough to want to clear the air when it gets a little intense.

I am also old enough that I don't have to regress to the childish behavior of name calling. Just because I don't agree with someone.

I would rather point out what I feel is wrong or misleading.... Like I did with Mr. Harpers posts.

Let me say this as my last comment to you sir.... I have been retired for 5 years.. With over 35 years at only two different jobs. I figure even you can do that math.
As for me calling B.S. on Don-----I am not the first NOR will I be the last.
We will just have to agree to disagree about several issues when it comes to Amistad.
However I do hope he has learned after several of us have pointed out to him in the past. The Channel markers on Amistad ARE NOT mile markers from the Dam.. It is not near as far to Z-bend as Don has stated in the past

Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10156926 07/22/14 10:39 PM
J
Jersey Dan Offline
Guido
Guido
J
As hard as it is to believe those Golden era fish from those Golden Era lakes are dead and not coming back. They aren't suspended in the river channel or hiding behind rock walls. They are gone.

Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10156948 07/22/14 10:55 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
It some of you fellas had read all of Donald's post then you would know what B.S. fishingfireman is referring to, I won't get into it though. Good luck all.

Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10156953 07/22/14 10:57 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I could be off a couple of miles. My boat probably doesn't go as fast as yours. Ha.... You don't hate me enough to not fish with me, if we get a chance some day do you? I am probably 6 or 7 years older than you. I am 66 and can still do it from daylight to dark.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10156955 07/22/14 10:58 PM
Fish hunter 59 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Test Question? Just how far is it from the Dam to Z bend, and I do know the answer! Second test question, if the fish are gone like some say then there must have been a die off, if this many fish died why were there no floaters? Did they all sink straight to the bottom? I averaged 2 to 3 days a week for the past 2 years on Amistad and have on seen a couple floaters. Just wondering?

For what it's worth I say their are deep and will return at some point and time, it just an on going cycle that all fisheries go through at some point and time, Falcon is in the same shape. It's all due the the drought and lack of water.

Living the Dream
PB 10.27 >))))>
[Linked Image]
Matthew 4:19 Let us be fisher of men also!
Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10156990 07/22/14 11:26 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I think Jersey Dan pretty well summed it up with his last comment.

Guys, it's hot and humid out. The economy sux regardless of the 'reported' numbers, the world seems to take a different, violent turn every week.

We live in some divisive times like I've never seen in my 54 years. I won't lay blame for the unrest, but it is very prevalent and palpable. The associated negativity and uncertainty contributes to our duress.

Please don't let the 'times' destroy what we all love. Fishing is our common bond. This should be a place of respite for us all!

I'm as guilty as the next guy of becoming adversarial over a fishing topic that is trivial in the big scheme of things. May we all be kinder and gentler with one another.

Finally, when u think this world is seemingly spinning out of control, take pause. It is. Out of OUR control.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10157039 07/22/14 11:55 PM
BanjoMinnow Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Here is a post I made earlier this year on the same topic. This is just my opinion on what happened.

I am not a biologist, but I am a logic thinker with an over-analyzing engineering mind, so here is my honest opinion. When the lake is drawn down 60 ft, you are making essentially every bass locate and reducing the amount of shoreline in the lake. When this happened, you now have less shoreline cover for baitfish to hide in and less cover for bass to relate to. This makes the baitfish an easy target to predators so the baitfish population drastically declined due to a higher number of bass in a more concentrated area of the lake with exposed baitfish. During this period of the drawdown, a large population of the bigger fish moved offshore and suspended over deep water in search of a better food source that they didnt have to compete with the smaller fish for (tilapia). When the baitfish in the shallower water became hard to find, these bass had to eat the smaller bass to live and this reduced the population of bass, along with the population of bass that die due to the stress of overcrowding and relocation. This is natures way of restoring the fish populations to equilibrium based on the size of the lake and available forage. So now we have a population of bass that is proportional to the amount of shoreline cover and baitfish in the lake. Well then you add 35 feet of water to the lake. This increases the amount of shoreline and the amount of cover for bass and baitfish to live in, while not affecting those suspended fish nearly as much. So those suspended fish dont have any reason to rush back into shallow (thats relative) water, and they are hard to catch as we know. The reduced population of baitfish have tons of cover to hide in, and the smaller population of bass along the shoreline bunch up into the most ideal structure and cover places they can find. This leaves us where we are today with a smaller population of bass altogether in more condensed areas around the lake (leaving alot of "dead" water), baitfish that are less exposed due to more habitat to live in, and a higher number of fish suspended in really deep water that are almost inaccessible to anglers. The lake needs time to get back to equilibrium, and the only thing that can speed that up is a stabilized water level and the growth of grass. I look at it like this: go hide a dozen easter eggs in a double wide trailer and see how long it takes your kids to find them. Then take that same dozen easter eggs and hide them in the White House and see how long it takes your kids to find them. Well thats what happened to these fish when the lake level rose 35 feet, those fish moved from a double-wide into the White House. Now go find them.

Texas Tech Bass Anglers
Wreck 'Em Tech
Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10157166 07/23/14 12:55 AM
J
Jersey Dan Offline
Guido
Guido
J
So if you put 25 feet of water back in Choke Canyon it's going to return to elite status?

Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10157172 07/23/14 12:57 AM
txwhitetail Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I have spent a little bit of time graphing deep on this body of water the past couple years and the big schools of bass, perch, and shad aren't to be found.

The fluctuating water level has killed most of the grass over a 2-3 period and the only years the lake has been real good is after a couple steady water level years and great grass growth. Before the grass it fished like it is now.

Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: BanjoMinnow] #10157264 07/23/14 01:35 AM
F
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: BanjoMinnow
Here is a post I made earlier this year on the same topic. This is just my opinion on what happened.

I am not a biologist, but I am a logic thinker with an over-analyzing engineering mind, so here is my honest opinion. When the lake is drawn down 60 ft, you are making essentially every bass locate and reducing the amount of shoreline in the lake. When this happened, you now have less shoreline cover for baitfish to hide in and less cover for bass to relate to. This makes the baitfish an easy target to predators so the baitfish population drastically declined due to a higher number of bass in a more concentrated area of the lake with exposed baitfish. During this period of the drawdown, a large population of the bigger fish moved offshore and suspended over deep water in search of a better food source that they didnt have to compete with the smaller fish for (tilapia). When the baitfish in the shallower water became hard to find, these bass had to eat the smaller bass to live and this reduced the population of bass, along with the population of bass that die due to the stress of overcrowding and relocation. This is natures way of restoring the fish populations to equilibrium based on the size of the lake and available forage. So now we have a population of bass that is proportional to the amount of shoreline cover and baitfish in the lake. Well then you add 35 feet of water to the lake. This increases the amount of shoreline and the amount of cover for bass and baitfish to live in, while not affecting those suspended fish nearly as much. So those suspended fish dont have any reason to rush back into shallow (thats relative) water, and they are hard to catch as we know. The reduced population of baitfish have tons of cover to hide in, and the smaller population of bass along the shoreline bunch up into the most ideal structure and cover places they can find. This leaves us where we are today with a smaller population of bass altogether in more condensed areas around the lake (leaving alot of "dead" water), baitfish that are less exposed due to more habitat to live in, and a higher number of fish suspended in really deep water that are almost inaccessible to anglers. The lake needs time to get back to equilibrium, and the only thing that can speed that up is a stabilized water level and the growth of grass. I look at it like this: go hide a dozen easter eggs in a double wide trailer and see how long it takes your kids to find them. Then take that same dozen easter eggs and hide them in the White House and see how long it takes your kids to find them. Well thats what happened to these fish when the lake level rose 35 feet, those fish moved from a double-wide into the White House. Now go find them.

VERY well put. flehan
Since some time in the mid 90's The fish on Amistad have been what I call grass fish.. In years past there were a few times when it got cold enough that the grass died, or the wind would lay acres of it down, or the lake level would change enough to affect the growth. But until that 60 foot drop. Those were all short term issues. The fish would pull out to the nearest ledge, or if it was a big rise they would move into the flooded re-growth. It was easy to find them after they had to relocate..
Not so after that 60 ft drop. Those fish not only lost there house, they lost the only food source they knew.
Like you say, after a short time the easy forage was gone. Which is why we started seeing a lot of the bigger fish in the spring of 2013 which were thin. We also started seeing the number of limits drop along with the total weights.
In my opinion the few fish that survived, learned to forage in the open water like a striper or sand bass.. or they simply starved.
Now that the lake has come back up and the grass is doing well.. We are left wondering----Where are the fish ???? Why are they not back in the grass ?? After all there is forage in the grass.. INMO---there is more grass right now than there are bass to live in it.
I do not believe it takes 25 ft deep grass to pull the bass back to it. I feel what adult bass that are left are smarter than there dead brothers... I figure no mater how deep that grass is--- If there is forage in it---They will come..
I also do not agree with "The last two years spawn" being the reason for the poor fishing !!
Think about it.. How big would last years spawn be ?? -- 5 to 8 inches-- How big would this years spawn be ?? 1 to 4 inches.. How would that have any effect on the number of adult fish being caught for the last two years...

That's why I keep saying.. IT WILL TAKE YEARS OF GOOD CONDITIONS TO GET THE LAKE BACK .. to the glory days..

Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10157281 07/23/14 01:43 AM
U
UsCav28 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
U
Wow didn't think I was gonna get this kinda feed back but I really appreciate all the comments...now y'all got me wanting to go back out and try my luck again... Lol thanks again guys👍

Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10157430 07/23/14 02:22 AM
J
Jersey Dan Offline
Guido
Guido
J
Amistad sums up the current state of fishing in texas. A shell of it's former self.

Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: UsCav28] #10157452 07/23/14 02:27 AM
T
TogiakTerror Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I know of a huge underwater cave on this lake that you wouldn't know of unless your a scuba diver. I bet they've gone there

Re: What is wrong with Lake Amistad !?!?!? [Re: Jersey Dan] #10157577 07/23/14 03:08 AM
F
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Jersey Dan
Amistad sums up the current state of fishing in texas. A shell of it's former self.

At least we got to be a part of the glory years. banana

Could be---- when this drought is over and we live long enough... we may see it again. cheers

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide