Forums59
Topics1,040,214
Posts13,977,610
Members144,232
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10147232 07/18/14 05:41 PM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: La Perla Ranch
Guys, come on, read what I said, I have no ability to sell one dime worth of fishing trips for 15 years! The State is in control, period, because that was the terms of what they proposed to me, take it or leave it. Furthermore, this is not a reward for some rich fat cat...I did not pay anything for the fry, but I have had to pay for building the lake they are going into, and for taking care of it for the next 15 years, while they do their studies and whatever else they may want to do. And do not presume to understand what kind of financial burden that has placed on me and my family to pursue this crazy dream, or to know how wealthy I may or may not be. Will they raise funds for the State program by selling some fishing trips on down the road when it gets really good? I don't know, but they have that right if they choose to, because they are in charge, and not me. Will they even do some charity fund raisers or take a lucky John Q Public lottery winner on the trip of a lifetime? I don't know, but they could if they wanted to. The bass were stocked here as part of a research project the State was interested in to measure the potential of prime nutrition, and that is it. What I am doing is unique because of the long growing season down here, and because of the lake and water resources the ranch had been blessed with when I purchased it. Don't make this into something beyond what it is: the joining of forces of a guy with a great water quality and nutrition program, together with the State's genetics experience to see what we can do to make this state proud, and to learn what we can.

And to compare it to hunting a high fenced small piece of property is ridiculous, and goes against all that each of you know about bass fishing. Come on guys, think. Bass won't come to a corn feeder, in fact they won't even move to a water release site where prawns and shad are pouring into the lake to feed them. I know, I tried! Bass are ambush predators who are not out rushing about in search of food. Bass can't be patterned with digital cam tracker cameras, and bass can't be bagged from 400 yards away. Bass have to be presented just the right lure, in just the right way, from within feet of their locations or less, and enticed to strike, which is no certainty, especially in the older ages. Perhaps most significantly, bass are not spatially limited to the surface of the ground, but instead are vertically dispersed throughout the column of water depth in addition to the same horizontal dispersion we see in deer, and except for when you might catch them on beds, you can't even see them most of the time! By the time you add in their much smaller size, I can just tell you with 100 % certainty after having had an opportunity to go after both species, that locating and then catching a specific monster bass on the 90 acre intensively managed Lake La Perla, is like finding a needle in a haystack, as compared to locating and bagging a monster buck, on even a 10,000 acre low fenced ranch.

I posted this because way back when Jordan Shipley posted his story about La Perla, I was asked if I was buying Share Lunker fry and I said no. Now I have ended up with them through another route that worked out for me several months ago. I wanted to share this change with you for transparency purposes and because I thought it was something you should all be interested in as Bass lovers and Texans.

I also believe you should be proud of the Share Lunker program, as it has made a huge impact for Texas fisheries. I don't have to donate any of my own Share Lunker qualifiers in the future from my other lake back to the program, but I will, because I believe in the importance of the program. I also believe that in the end, more of her offspring will survive predation by coming back into the lake as fry, than would have made it on their own by staying in the same lake from the egg stage on. I say this based on what my private fisheries biologist who is not connected to the Lunker program has told me for years about stocked fry versus fry raised in the lake by fish.

I believe it is a win win scenario then when a Share Lunker is donated, as other lakes benefit when a portion of the fry are stocked into various lakes around the State, and the donor lake benefits on the basis of what I explained above. As I understand it, over the years, a very small percentage of the fish have gone to a few contracted lakes on private property for research purposes as was planned from the start. I have been told that there were no plans to do anymore, until they saw the opportunity with me, and so, here we are. I had hoped to include you in the unfolding story, so those are my thoughts.

Yeah, I am shocked at where some of you are running with this, and not sure if I will continue to post given how crazy some of this speculation has gone. We will see where this latest text leads to, then decide. I was very touched by the warmth and kindness of the readership in response to Jordan's initial post months ago. Many of you asked for me to keep you posted as we moved along. This change has taken me aback.
Gary

Dr. Schwartz, please don't let the naysayers get under your skin. I believe, after reading your later posts, that you aren't going to...I'm just hoping that another member encouraging you will help you to continue to update us all on the progress of the program. I've had a tremendous amount of respect for you, ever since your tecomate development changed whitetail hunting. So keep your head up, don't get discouraged, and best of luck cheers I look forward to seeing the progress

As for the guys who continue to spout off your opinions of a "rich man" getting his way with everything...grow the heck up! If you don't like the way the SAL program has handled this, being nasty about it on TFF isn't going to change a darn thing. And if you want more fry stocked into your local/favorite lake, then open up that wallet and pay SAL a big fee. I mean that's all it takes, right? Based on your comments. So buck up and send in a donation and tell them where you want the fish released rolfmao people amuse me grin

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10147296 07/18/14 06:02 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
They did the same thing to Marine Creek Lake... All those got eaten by the bank beaters before their first year! I think a private water does more good (on the research side) than public. Don't agree with how it was done... but... I'm just a peon in this crazy world.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: bassdude10] #10147306 07/18/14 06:05 PM
LHodge Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Clarification: Over the 28-year history of the ShareLunker program, approximately 1% of the more than 1 million fingerlings produced have been used for research. Some were stocked into private lakes, some into public lakes. In many years no fingerlings are used for research.
Clarification: The agreement anglers sign when donating a fish to the ShareLunker program DOES NOT address what use will be made of the fingerlings, only of the fish itself. Anglers are given two options, A and B. The language in the agreement spelling out those options is as follows:
"A. TPWD will return the fish to me within a reasonable time after genetic identification, spawning and/or conclusion of the (season date) Toyota ShareLunker Program.
B. TPWD can keep the fish for use as a brood fish or any other needs. If the fish dies it will not be returned."
As for the fingerlings, item 7 in the agreement reads:
"I further agree and understand that the progenies of the Fish, if any, are property of the TPWD."

Larry D. Hodge
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: LHodge] #10147349 07/18/14 06:28 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted By: LHodge
Clarification: Over the 28-year history of the ShareLunker program, approximately 1% of the more than 1 million fingerlings produced have been used for research. Some were stocked into private lakes, some into public lakes. In many years no fingerlings are used for research.
Clarification: The agreement anglers sign when donating a fish to the ShareLunker program DOES NOT address what use will be made of the fingerlings, only of the fish itself. Anglers are given two options, A and B. The language in the agreement spelling out those options is as follows:
"A. TPWD will return the fish to me within a reasonable time after genetic identification, spawning and/or conclusion of the (season date) Toyota ShareLunker Program.
B. TPWD can keep the fish for use as a brood fish or any other needs. If the fish dies it will not be returned."
"I further agree and understand that the progenies of the Fish, if any, are property of the TPWD."

Well there you go guys and it only took 9 pages of discussion to clear up what most of us already knew lol. Thanks but im sure the naysayers will still try and spin it.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: LHodge] #10147374 07/18/14 06:37 PM
B
bassdude10 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

Thanks for the clarification! I don't see how anybody could not approve of this project. Especially with the transparency. Good luck to everyone involved.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10147494 07/18/14 07:12 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Can some one post cliff notes so I don't have to read a Novel?

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: LHodge] #10147501 07/18/14 07:13 PM
Alex Finch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Just going to do a little Aggie math here. I understand you used the words more and approximate, so this is all an estimation. 1% of 1 millon is 10,000. So in this case, 7,404 constitutes an overwhelming majority of the fingerlings used for research. By this estimation, only about 2,500 of the fingerlings have been used for other research projects in the other 27 years of the program's history (100 of the fingerlings this year died in transport).

What's surprising to me is that there were only two pure Floridas entered into the program this year, which is significantly less than the 2009-2011 years (from the data that is available in the SAL archives), yet 143,000 or so fry were produced. That's over 14% of the number produced in the 28 year span. I guess this was an exceptional year in terms of production when compared with previous years. I need to brush up on my SAL history; have the pure Floridas donated to TPWD been spawned over the course of the entire 28 years?

Online Orders: www.finchnastybaitco.com
E-mail Orders: finchnastybaitco@gmail.com

Finch Nasty Bait Co. is now an Authorized Retailer of Keitech Fat Swing Impact swimbaits! We offer select sizes and colors that match our line of Thumpers (bladed swim jigs) and universal swim jigs.
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: Tiltman] #10147516 07/18/14 07:18 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
Originally Posted By: Tiltman
Can some one post cliff notes so I don't have to read a Novel?

This post is so done........

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: Douglas J] #10147518 07/18/14 07:19 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
or perhaps grown men should not act like selfish little children over a stupid fish

Wise words right there.....

Anyone that has read anything I have ever posted knows I am a fan of the SAL program for many reasons. And I have never donated a fish to the program. Whether you guys realize it or not, a HUGE part of the reason we Texans enjoy the quality of bass fishing in this great state is due to the SAL program. The genes from the pure Floridas stocked back into any lake will ultimately help the fishery produce bigger fish faster. Doesn't matter if the lake ever produces a state record or not! It is a well known fact that Florida bass grow bigger than native Texas bass.

Agree or not, the facts are the facts.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10147546 07/18/14 07:27 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Gary,

This may have been mentioned earlier or you may have considered this yourself already, but....I would suggest creating a program where a few lucky anglers can fish your lakes each year for no cost. You are now connected to the Texas fishing public for 15 years and this sort of gesture will help maintain a positive image. You own the lake and signed the contract, just a suggestion.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: criglizard] #10147615 07/18/14 08:02 PM
L
La Perla Ranch Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: criglizard
Gary,

This may have been mentioned earlier or you may have considered this yourself already, but....I would suggest creating a program where a few lucky anglers can fish your lakes each year for no cost. You are now connected to the Texas fishing public for 15 years and this sort of gesture will help maintain a positive image. You own the lake and signed the contract, just a suggestion.

No doubt criglizard. I had already planned on doing this, but did not want to bring it up during the firestorm and have it look like insincere damage control. Now that this thing is turning around, and now that YOU brought it up, the answer is yes, I am going to come up with something. Allan will have to decide on Jalisco, as he controls fishing chances there, but I would be in favor of including a few lucky no pay fishermen on Jalisco when it is appropriate and if The State agrees, as well as on my La Perla Lake. Jalisco will be a while getting there, but LP is ready for the coming year to plug this in.

I am thinking to include 2 fishermen from each of two groups. First, the One who donates the top SAL bass each year, plus one from a drawing of the rest of the SAL donor fish. Then, two other fishermen who win the spots from a random draw. All I would require is that they write about their trips on the Forum.

What are your suggestions??
Gary

Last edited by Fish Killer; 07/18/14 08:09 PM. Reason: fixed it for ya

La Perla Ranch
Zapata County, Texas
tecomateranch.com
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: Alex Finch] #10147638 07/18/14 08:13 PM
H
Hoss Holding Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Originally Posted By: Alex Finch
[quote=LHodge]Clarification:

What's surprising to me is that there were only two pure Floridas entered into the program this year, which is significantly less than the 2009-2011 years (from the data that is available in the SAL archives), yet 143,000 or so fry were produced. That's over 14% of the number produced in the 28 year span. I guess this was an exceptional year in terms of production when compared with previous years. I need to brush up on my SAL history; have the pure Floridas donated to TPWD been spawned over the course of the entire 28 years?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This part of this post got me to thinking, Every year SAL or Not, Millions of pure Florida's are stocked in lakes all across Texas. There were only two Pure Florida's Entered this year. You can go back and look at the stockings 7 to 9 years ago which should be around the time those fish would be around the SAL mark. Now there are other 13s turned in but they are not pure thus not being a part of the program. I may be wrong but there were more mixed 13s reported that were not excepted vs Pure Florida's. I guess my point in this is shouldn't there more Pure Florida Bass showing up based off the sheer numbers alone with the stocking program. Is this a indication that maybe 99% of these fish do not survive to reach the age to be in the SAL class. I don't think we have near the stocking program in Native Bass but with the natural spawn and natural survival patterns of Bass in the wild, Maybe more of these Native fish do survive which is why there are more mixed strain showing up vs Pure. In my rather simple mind I look at billions of Pure Florida Bass being stock in our lakes and proof is in the pudding, these fish grow bigger. with the billions being stocked I would figure a few more would show up. I just think that this type of stuff is just as important to protect the lakes we all love to fish. If it is a survival issue with fish thrown into a lake with no protection and no survival skills. Maybe that is why the weights are down from a few years ago. I know other stuff plays into that but man, Where are the Florida's at.

Last edited by DHolding; 07/18/14 08:14 PM.

I am blessed to have a opportunity to live a childhood dream as a professional wrestler

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10147704 07/18/14 08:37 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Gary,

No doubt criglizard. I had already planned on doing this, but did not want to bring it up during the firestorm and have it look like insincere damage control. Now that this thing is turning around, and now that YOU brought it up, the answer is yes, I am going to come up with something. Allan will have to decide on Jalisco, as he controls fishing chances there, but I would be in favor of including a few lucky no pay fishermen on Jalisco when it is appropriate and if The State agrees, as well as on my La Perla Lake. Jalisco will be a while getting there, but LP is ready for the coming year to plug this in.

I am thinking to include 2 fishermen from each of two groups. First, the One who donates the top SAL bass each year, plus one from a drawing of the rest of the SAL donor fish. Then, two other fishermen who win the spots from a random draw. All I would require is that they write about their trips on the Forum.

Gary

I think that all sounds good and makes sense. Reward the SAL guys for participating with that program. Talk about an extra incentive to turn a fish in...the chance to fish your lakes. The odds are good too with 20 or so SAL per year.

Possibly try to bring a kid or two into the mix, although you will spoil them for life with that lake. smile

It's exciting to think about what your lakes will do over the coming years. Your research will likely contribute to bass fishing forever, worldwide.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: criglizard] #10147733 07/18/14 08:50 PM
L
La Perla Ranch Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Gary,

I will run it by Allan and Larry Hodge to get their thoughts.
Gary

Gary

I think that all sounds good and makes sense. Reward the SAL guys for participating with that program. Talk about an extra incentive to turn a fish in...the chance to fish your lakes. The odds are good too with 20 or so SAL per year.

Possibly try to bring a kid or two into the mix, although you will spoil them for life with that lake. smile

It's exciting to think about what your lakes will do over the coming years. Your research will likely contribute to bass fishing forever, worldwide.

La Perla Ranch
Zapata County, Texas
tecomateranch.com
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10147751 07/18/14 09:01 PM
TwoLakes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Loving this thread!

I built a 10 acre lake on my property about 5 years ago. I enlarged it to 13 acres last summer. So, I can appreciate the amount of time and money that go into building a lake. If I could afford to purchase the land and build a 100 acre lake, I would do it in a heartbeat. It's absolutely awesome to walk out of my backdoor and be fishing in one minute. I'm in the "pro" project crowd and wish you well.

One suggestion: I think I read in one of the posts that you haven't sold any trips to La Perla yet. You might consider reducing the cost to fish as a Grand Opening strategy. Once people experience the lake, and word of mouth spreads, you can increase the costs so you land somewhere on the supply/demand curve that works for your situation.

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide