Print Thread
Stinkbait at Wall Mart #10061980 06/13/14 10:31 PM
U
uncle_bagster Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
U
Yesterday, I bought a jar of Little Stinker dip bait (chicken liver flavor). I haven't tried it, and have yet to opened the jar. Has anyone used this? I've been using dip bait for years and this has an odd look. Someone posted the Little Stinker squeeze tube baits were not worth buying, and I'm wondering if I may have gotten the shaft.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Stinkbait at Wall Mart [Re: uncle_bagster] #10062314 06/14/14 02:02 AM
M
mjmetro0719 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
When I was a kid I tried all that stuff from Wal-Mart, the stuff in the toothpaste looking squeeze tube, magic bait, the red spray that you were supposed to squirt on a sponge hook and cast out (saw that one on a bill dance show), packaged shad that fell off my hook every time I cast, catfish Charlie (actually caught three on one trip with that totaling about two pounds) and I think some stuff called wild hog, I'd have to say that they might work for some people but for me they were all fails, but when I was a kid I believed everything that I saw on tv or read on the product, many times I would love to still be a kid but when it comes to fishing I sure am glad that I am a grown up. I hope it works for you, try it out and let us know fish

Mike
Re: Stinkbait at Wall Mart [Re: uncle_bagster] #10062452 06/14/14 03:16 AM
Y
YakinJoe Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
You can get Danny kings at the Wal-Mart by me and it's good stuff. But the stuff you mentioned has never been too good for me.

God and soldiers, we adore
In times of danger, not before
With the danger safely righted
God is forgotten, and soldiers slighted
Re: Stinkbait at Wall Mart [Re: uncle_bagster] #10062466 06/14/14 03:25 AM
Y
yakfishinnate Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
World's Best it think is the name of one... It's cheap, and I catch a ton fish with it

Re: Stinkbait at Wall Mart [Re: uncle_bagster] #10062564 06/14/14 04:24 AM
C
CatBoss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
fresh meat catchs great fish
Turd baits of funk catch turd bait eating fish(channel cats)
Sleep well with a belly full of [censored]

Re: Stinkbait at Wall Mart [Re: uncle_bagster] #10062922 06/14/14 02:09 PM
B
Bernard Offline
Angler
Angler
B
If you're locked in to having to buy your catfish bait at Wal-Mart, I believe that Catfish Charlie is your best bet. That is, if they don't have punch baits like Big Marvs or Danny Kings. I've caught a lot of fish with Catfish Charlie, but I prefer Big Marvs or Danny Kings, and I've done better with those. In a pinch though, Catfish Charlie will put fish in the boat.

Re: Stinkbait at Wall Mart [Re: uncle_bagster] #10062996 06/14/14 03:06 PM
Mudshark Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
If you are already at Walmart, and are determined to buy your bait there, just buy Shrimp.

[Linked Image]

Re: Stinkbait at Wall Mart [Re: Mudshark] #10063310 06/14/14 06:31 PM
Y
YakinJoe Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted By: Mudshark
If you are already at Walmart, and are determined to buy your bait there, just buy Shrimp.

Shrimp is very good bait! And you can enjoy the left overs.

God and soldiers, we adore
In times of danger, not before
With the danger safely righted
God is forgotten, and soldiers slighted
Re: Stinkbait at Wall Mart [Re: uncle_bagster] #10063577 06/14/14 09:39 PM
U
uncle_bagster Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
U
I just like to experiment with different brands of stinkbait. The last I bought was Bokers, and it was good. It's kind of like seeing a new beer on the shelf and wondering what it's like. With dip bait, I'd say homemade is probably the best. Can't say that about beer, since the bottles blew up on the last batch I made.

Re: Stinkbait at Wall Mart [Re: uncle_bagster] #10064363 06/15/14 07:48 AM
S
splayhead Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Something I have done is find some empty caulk tubes...you can find them online marine repair places and such sell them....they mix epoxy's in them. Anyways take the caulk tube and stuff it full of your favorite stink bait or make up a combination of your favorites.

Buy some party balloons that you make the animals with...round one work also...and pump them full cut off the tip and or poke some holes...and rig whatever ways you like....works awesome very clean way to use and store also. You can also use a little clip bobber in front to give it some lift.

I used to use a combination of ground fish guts, fish meat but no scales, chicken blood, and cheese scraps...you can find cheese scraps online. Get an old turkey fryer setup...mix it all together. I ground it up with one of those old metal hand crank grinders...there a dime a dozen. Warm it up very slowly to melt the cheese till it's all incorporated but don't cook it...and stuff the tubes full.
Of course you could use whatever "flavors" you like..the tubes are white so a black marker works great to mark them.

Re: Stinkbait at Wall Mart [Re: uncle_bagster] #10065163 06/15/14 06:54 PM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
The thing that made Danny Kings such a good bait when it first came on the market years ago...at least in my humble opinion...was the fact that it would stay on your hook reasonably well. Well enough to make it castable...if you kinda took it easy with your cast. Most of the other stink baits had to be used with some kind of delivery device such as a sponge or a plastic tube etc. These really don't work that great with much if not most of your bait slinging off before it even hits the water.Danny Kings was different because it added the fiber from cattail plants to thicken the bait and give the treble hook something to grab on to. I don't know who first came up with this idea, but DK's was the first I ever was aware of that did it. I have read that a different fiber is used now and I must say it didn't seem to hold on the hook as well the last batch I bought about a year ago. Now as far as the rest of the bait formula...well....brains...cheese...blood...shad. Pretty common in most baits. I'd venture a guess that I got just as many if not more bites from the ol' "Bills" spongebait as I did DK's. That is if I could get it out to the fish on the hook. So with all this longwinded stuff said, here's what I have done with much success and what you might wish to try yourself.

Wait till Walmart or whoever puts one of those dip type stinkbaits made with brains/cheese/shad etc. on a clearance sale. Which they do fairly often. Then buy it and find you some cattails and just add some of the fluffy fiber from one of the seed-heads to the jar of bait. Just keep stirring it in until you reach a consistency you are happy with. Take a few extra cattail heads home to use later if you want. This will greatly improve the bite rate of the bargain stinkbait you purchased. And it's great to have some punchbait with you regardless, say on those times you didn't bring any shrimp and you can't catch any shad or bluegills. Yes you will catch lot's of channels. Which in my opinion is a good thing if you want to have a fish fry.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide