Whare?
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Slot Fat Snook - 07/16/17 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: eyeball
Whare?

Chocolate Bayou-Galvez Bay complex
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Slot Fat Snook - 07/17/17 05:37 PM

Galveston? I didn't think they made it this far up the coast.
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: Slot Fat Snook - 07/18/17 02:15 PM

Almost looks like a common snook. I'll be getting mad at them this week. My weekend charters are all snook trips.

Re: Slot Fat Snook - 07/24/17 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnButte
Galveston? I didn't think they made it this far up the coast.

I've caught 4 here(Chocolate Bayou, PART of the Galveston Bay complex, not in Galveston)) in the last 2 years. 18", 20",14", and this slot.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Slot Fat Snook - 07/24/17 12:44 PM

How deep is chocolate bayou? It's probably deep around the plants and ICW area. Just wondering what creeks and bayous in this part of the county might have what it takes to be a snook suitable habitat. I've heard of a couple of snook coming from the San Bernard River area, too. It's pretty deep, they bring up barges a pretty good ways.

Seems like snook need some deeper water to ride out the brief cold spells. Maybe those chemical plants help over there if there is any warm water discharge to save the fish in the coldest parts of the winter. I think Dow Chemical has or had a warm water discharge into the Brazos, but that river stays muddy and fresh most of the time.

A slot snook ought to be at least a couple of years old. I guess will have a few around up here in the right places until if and when we get a another major cold blast.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Slot Fat Snook - 07/24/17 01:10 PM

Live shrimp, split shot, pitch along the side of docked boats, let it fall into the shadow underneath the boat.

Re: Slot Fat Snook - 07/25/17 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: karstopo
How deep is chocolate bayou? It's probably deep around the plants and ICW area. Just wondering what creeks and bayous in this part of the county might have what it takes to be a snook suitable habitat. I've heard of a couple of snook coming from the San Bernard River area, too. It's pretty deep, they bring up barges a pretty good ways.

Seems like snook need some deeper water to ride out the brief cold spells. Maybe those chemical plants help over there if there is any warm water discharge to save the fish in the coldest parts of the winter. I think Dow Chemical has or had a warm water discharge into the Brazos, but that river stays muddy and fresh most of the time.

A slot snook ought to be at least a couple of years old. I guess will have a few around up here in the right places until if and when we get a another major cold blast.

I was fishing north of Lute's Marina approx. 1.5 miles. Average depths up that way is about 3 foot or so. There are some deeper holes though they are only about 12 foot on a high tide. I caught this fish the first week of July. Snook can tolerate fresh water ALMOST as good as a Red or Flounder, almost. All of the Snook I've caught were caught in about a foot or less of water. Around some gnarly wood lay downs/cover. I even catch LM Bass along this said cover also. They love the bulkheads and docks. I see them chasing Shrimp a lot.

Re: Slot Fat Snook - 07/25/17 08:37 PM

Ended up with 4 snook on the last charter. One looked like he got hit by something alot larger than him on the way in. If yall are looking to catch a snook in texas let me know.

Re: Slot Fat Snook - 07/26/17 02:45 PM

Caught another one-18" Greenback Mirrodine Mini
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Slot Fat Snook - 07/26/17 04:29 PM

Man I need to take a trip somewhere I can get me a snook. They are a cool looking fish.

Re: Slot Fat Snook - 07/26/17 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
Man I need to take a trip somewhere I can get me a snook. They are a cool looking fish.

Come on down. Been on them pretty good all year. Only had one trip where we did not get one to the boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum