Texas Fishing Forum

General Questions

Posted By: guru4u

General Questions - 05/10/14 06:55 PM

At what water temp do breathable waders come off and pants/shirts start being comfortable in Gal Bay, inshore water?

Where to buy a lightweight, used boat trailer in Webster area? I have a Zodiac type inflatable. Want to build a box on top of the trailed so I can keep it inflated and store my gear. Total weight <500#. Biggest concern is for highway speed/stability behind my Jeep GC.

Bought my first bait cast rod/reel. Watched the online vids about adjusting for different eight lures. Haven't developed my "thumb" yet. Filled the reel with 10# mono (may have overfilled), have the mag and second adjustment almost completely tightened/full on. Can get about 35' of cast on a 1/2 ounce rig. So, any tips regarding line or whatever ... how much line to put on the reel etc.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: General Questions - 05/10/14 08:59 PM

loosen those adjustments up and practice controlling the spool with your thumb. set the spool tension knob so that you've got about 1/32" side play on the spool. make 30' - 40' casts. you'll start catchin on in about 50 or so casts. start using the mag and brake adjustments when casting into or across a wind. don't try to hit a home run. that's about all i know about it. if you can play golf, you can cast a bait caster. golf is the hardest athletic activity i've ever tried and i've been trying it for 45 yrs. give me a PM----I'm in Bayou Vista.
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: General Questions - 05/11/14 03:43 PM

Here is a little article I wrote in Coastal Angler magazine this month. (also, the link will change in June, but it's a good magazine as well.

http://coastalanglermag.com/magazines/galveston/#p=50

Only fill the spool to just less than 1/16th short of filling the spool.

The article will walk you through adjusting the reel and casting with it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum